PDA

View Full Version : Wasp nest removal

Quattro
23-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Does anybody know of a trustworthy, reliable and reasonably priced outfit that can deal with a wasp nest in my shed?

Ideally in the Rossendale area?

Thanks in advance.

rats
23-07-2014, 03:49 PM
smoke them out!
Those e cigs are ok,buy wasp removal!

yesTHATironingboard
23-07-2014, 04:02 PM
a real man would remove it themselves with a hammer.

but make sure you're wearing a big hat when you do it.

tynecastleclaret
23-07-2014, 04:05 PM
pour a pan of boiled water over the nest then run did the trick for me.

MidMoorClaret
23-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Wait until dusk when all the wasps will normally have returned to the nest. You then apply a wasp killer dust or spray in and around the entrance hole, which will be picked up by wasps entering or leaving after dawn and this kills them.

These wasp killers can be obtained from most garden centres and should cost no more than up to 5. Once you no longer see any daytime activity you should be able to safely remove and incinerate the nest. I've done this several times with success.

1968claret
23-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Agree with mid moor, can buy foam sprays from b and q for about 5 and do the job yourself. Just spray over the entrance an the nest itself from about 2m away. Suggest wearing gloves, hoody etc for protection just in case! But it is very easy.

Alternatively you can get the council to come and remove it. I think they charge about 50 though, similar price to commercial pest eliminators.

barracuda
23-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Various ways as above... and yes, do in the evening

HollandsPies
23-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Remember it's vinegar for a wasp sting and milk for a bee.

longside4evr
23-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Can i have the wasp grub its excellent for fishing :D

NottsClaret
23-07-2014, 05:27 PM
MidMoor is right, did the same last summer. As long as you have easy access to the nest, use the foam spray and save a few quid.

The structures are amazing to look at close up once the wasps are gone.

g69
23-07-2014, 05:35 PM
If the nest is in your building I suggest the council is best option they charge or did A45 you can check on their web site under pest control Don't attempt a DIY they are hard to eliminate and they get everywhere good luck
UTC

Quattro
23-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Cheers chaps!

There are companies on internet who claim to do it for around A30, yet the council charge about A50 - the thing is, at least with the council, the job will get done properly.

ClaretsEngineer
23-07-2014, 05:52 PM
'at least with the council the job will get done properly'

I'm not sure 5 blokes standing about with clipboards sucking through their teeth qualifies as a job done properly...

A well aimed strike with a spade will do the trick. I wouldn't advocate hanging about in the aftermath though :p

HunterST_BFC
23-07-2014, 06:12 PM
Post 5 is right.
But the council may do it free - depending on whether it is likely to be a problem for others etc etc.

Be brave,
do it yourself.
But if you do get stung a few times...

Go straight to Waspital.

:D

CnBtruntru
23-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Like for above post, but slightly let down when you could have put Bee brave >;) XD XD XD

HunterST_BFC
23-07-2014, 06:45 PM
ha ha,
:D
I waspnt thinking...

I'll get my coat

ANuttyClaret
23-07-2014, 06:51 PM
I can do it for free if you like? I get a real buzz off it.

Burgerfast
23-07-2014, 07:04 PM
You may think this is a wind up, but...

Once you have it removed, would you allow me to have the remaining grub & cake?

It's an absolute killer trout bait.

I'm Rossendale based & can collect.

Seriously

...no, honest, I'm serious.

g69
23-07-2014, 07:17 PM
With that are sure you want it for bait Burgerfast ?
UTC

Targetman
23-07-2014, 07:26 PM
I live in Rossendale and the council have just been today to my house to sort out a wasp problem for me.

First of all they don`t actually remove the nest, you have to do that yourself after it has become "dead" which is a few days after they have got rid of the wasps.

They spray/smoke the wasps which gets rid of them for good, the guy told me they never return to an old nest.He came around 6 hours ago and there has been no sign of any wasps since.

2 things to bear in mind, they charge 48 quid which you have to pay in advance of the visit, and also they can only come on either Wednesday afternoons or Friday mornings.

I have had to wait just over a week for them to come so best to ring the council straight away if you need them.

Quattro
23-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Burgerfast: if you are being serious, once the nest is dead, you can gladly have it and it's contents!

You'll have to remove it though!

I'll keep you posted.

Burgerfast
23-07-2014, 10:21 PM
I'll gladly come and collect the trout attracting bundle of goodness!

You can email me at my username ...and then stick gmail or hotmail dot com at the end of it.

Much obliged.

Quattro
24-07-2014, 09:16 PM
I've not forgotten, but I've just been that busy today, that I've actually forgot to ring the bloke to sort a date to come and do the job.

yorksclaret
24-07-2014, 10:46 PM
What's wrong with a good old fashioned can of deodorant and a lighter?

butterflyvenom
25-07-2014, 12:08 AM
I once tried smearing my entire body with liquid sugar and attempting to remove a wasps nest in the nude. I ripped open the papery nest and was stung many times.It was cheap but painful.I grew up that morning. I'll be buggered if I'ed pay 50 for some council lad to do much the same thing with planet destroying chemicals.

southcoastclaret
25-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Hit it off with a stick into a bin bag and then put it in the freezer for a few days. Worked for me!

Quickenthetempo
25-07-2014, 09:44 AM
It depends how big the nest is and how many wasps are in there.

I got rid of mine but it took 3 weeks of spraying, putting ant powder in etc but they ended up making a hole right through to the kitchen where they would fall out into a boiling water tub for instant death. There were 1000s of the little blighters and would of been cheaper and more effective to get someone in.