PDA

View Full Version : time of our lives - lancashire

goalposts
25-07-2014, 08:27 PM
on sky sports 2 very entertaining.

bumble , faroukh and jon bon

shoreclaret
25-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Watched it the other day, well before my time that era but I love those programmes I find them very entertaining and interesting.

ClaretTony2014
25-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Thanks for this thread, I'd no idea about this one. Farokh used to be on the Turf a lot watching the Clarets.

goalposts
25-07-2014, 08:43 PM
my dad played for enfield when they won the worsley in the 70's and was a ggod mate of farokh , went on the turf with him occasionly

garfunkal
25-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Top bloke Farokh met him a few times through business , great to hear all these stories

tonyl
25-07-2014, 09:04 PM
And Farukh mentioned former Burnley professional Cec Pepper re-telling a story from his umpiring days. Many other memories of Cec are featured in the history of Burnley cricket club book.

silkyskills1
25-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Not the biggest fan of David Lloyd when he is commentating,especially when he becomes the archetypal northerner but he displayed all the pride and passion he has for his county in a very interesting hour with his former team-mates which brought back some wonderful memories of that era.

ClaretTony2014
25-07-2014, 09:06 PM
I think the quality of the Sky commentary team would drop significantly without Bumble.

ClaretTony2014
26-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Just watched the programme. I think any Lancastrian who enjoyed watching the team in that era would have enjoyed watching the programme.

I'm not suggesting that Clive Hubert Lloyd was the star but people used to go to the games hoping two of Bumble, Barry Wood & Harry Pilling would get out early so the great man could come in at number four.

For a few years it was magical for supporters of Lancashire cricket with some very memorable games.

silkyskills1
26-07-2014, 09:39 AM
'quality of the Sky commentary team'

Have to agree to disagree on that topic,CT. There's no doubting it is a 'team'; how many must there be in that box at the same time? I find that more and more people I talk to have the sound turned down now as a result of their constant, often inane utterings and trying to decide what a good score might be after a couple of overs or how the wicket is playing after a couple of deliveries.

ClaretTony2014
26-07-2014, 05:29 PM
We do disagree. I could listen to some of them all day and Bumble is most definitely one of them. Once they'd got rid of Bob Willis I was happy.

bobcloth1
26-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Lloyd is quite good when he's just commentating. Sometimes however he does get carried away with himself for me.
I think the problem with modern commentators is that they think they need to talk all the time, not just in cricket though, football is just as bad now.

silkyskills1
26-07-2014, 06:28 PM
'problem with modern commentators Is that they think they need to talk all the time'

Agree. Aptly demonstrated by Nasser Hussain and Andrew Strauss at times. How he is still commentating after his 'slip-up' is somewhat of a mystery.

bobcloth1
26-07-2014, 07:01 PM
With Strauss I was on here at the time saying i think that will be the end of him with Sky. I was pleasantly surprised it didn't blow up further.

But he's not the best commentator no.