PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Barnes

ArmchairDetective
28-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Anyone else think he might surprise a few people this year?

Bit of a volatile start to his Clarets career, however as did Vokes. He deserves the chance to make a for himself this season as Vokes did last term.

#givebarnesachance
(Couldn't resist the use of a hashtag)

ClaretTony2014
28-07-2014, 08:11 AM
"Bit of a volatile start to his Clarets career"

Not got a clue what you mean by that

DavetheVicar
28-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Agree and I think the whole Group ( I like that word :-D) will surprise a lot of people this season.
UTC

I_Wood_Lovett
28-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Yes, he has been the forgotten man after the two new striker recruits, the Deeney speculation and the current Vings situation.

When his opportunity came last year AB was forced(through the injuries to the other two) into a role that didn't suit him i.e. lone striker or target man.

He worked hard with that, scored some important goals and didn't let anyone down.

I agree - I think he will be a surprise packet. Watch this space.

RogerEliHatTrick
28-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Not convinced personally.

leightonorient30
28-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Ashley Barnes and Sam Vokes were considered to be surplus to requiremens by their former clubs. Both were superb performers, last season, with Barnes getting that fantastic goal against Wigan. i can replay it my mind.
Barnes like Arfield and Vokes have prospered here and the common factor has to be Sean Dyche. So yes Barnes is a very very good striker we are very lucky to have him.

Jamb0MackemClaret
28-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Jury still out for me, although he did get better after a run in the side, as you'd expect.

Too keen to hit the deck for my tastes.

clarethomer07
28-07-2014, 08:59 AM
I think his physical presence will be welcome.

I can only presume by volatile, you mean he's had some up's and downs along the way. I also don't really get this comment?

I think given the game time he has had an how he came into a tight knit squad with the best striking partnership in the championship; I think you have to congratulate Ashley for doing what we bought him for - to see us over the line should one of our strikers get injured. He did that perfectly in my opinion.

claret78
28-07-2014, 09:07 AM
I think he was signed as backup when the inevitable happened and one of Ings and Vokes got injured. In the end they both did and he played a multitude of roles to help get us promoted.

What I'm trying to say is I don't think Dyche bought him to the club to play in the Premiership. Merely to help get us there.

Good Championship forward.

cockneyclaret
28-07-2014, 09:07 AM
surplus to requiremens by their former clubs

Certainly know Brighton didnt want him to go!
But there fans weren't all behind him..

clarethomer07
28-07-2014, 09:22 AM
He's never played at PL level as far as I am aware, neither had Ings either.

Like the majority of our players this coming season, we will know whether they are PL quality or can hack it at this level once they have played in it.

I think having players like Barnes, Vokes and Juke will be needed as we lacked that physicality last time.

BigChaCha
28-07-2014, 09:54 AM
CT ... Let's see if can post for a week without using two of these ---> " "

I bet you can't :/

bleedingClaret
28-07-2014, 10:10 AM
I Rate him as a finisher.

The crumpling in response to pressure from behind when shielding the ball is a skill, semi cheating, practiced by many a premier league forward, and will help to alleviate the pressure on us at times and get us set pieces in dangerous positions, we will infuriatingly concede, in greater numbers, the same free kicks against us.

UTC

Der4
28-07-2014, 12:02 PM
to say he had very few starts at brighton.i think he has done well since being here,i also liked the goal he scored for brighton v rovers,he will be an asset for us in prem.

mgill87
28-07-2014, 12:20 PM
He had a very decent record at Brighton. I think he did well to come into the team mid-way through the season. We started to see better from him towards the end of the season as he got fitter and more used to our style of play (a bit like Kights).

I think he's quite underrated by many Burnley fans and will surprise a few this coming season. He's certainly a very decent option to have coming off the bench.

fatboy47
28-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Claret specs here...which is fair enough.

I hope I'm totally wrong in thinking that Barnes will prove to be almost totally ineffective at Prem level...in fact I thought most of what I saw from him last season was dire.

Percentage of clear cut chances finished off was probably average...percentage of high balls won was probably something in single figures as opposed to Vokes 70/80%.

My main recollection of Barnes last season is of him sat on his arse waving his arms around in vain appeals for a free kick...and of him running around a lot.

Decent finishes against Barnsley (?)away, and Wigan. A genuine trier.

As said...hope I'm way off on this one.

ArmchairDetective
28-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Yes, clarethomer, you are right in suggesting I meant up and down. (That word gets used a lot because of what I do, also it's a great word).

I think he deserves a chance is what I'm saying, and the new boys don't overshadow him straight away.

daveisaclaret
28-07-2014, 03:18 PM
5th best striker on the books, really. Wouldn't get too excited about his Premier League prospects.

Notrigsbyscat
28-07-2014, 03:21 PM
go on then Armchair detective, I'll bite

are you an atom that bounces around in a particle accelerator?

bleedingClaret
28-07-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm going for behavioral therapist including some relationship counselling.

OneNilWade
28-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Top player and will surprise a few this year..the Prem is a different ball game and you can either chase shadows which might happen to Danny with his style but Barnes grabs em grips em grapples em and the defences hate that plus hes very good at backing in and getting a foul watch this space my moneys on him being up there in the scoring...:D

Holtyclaret
28-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Barnes was far from surplus at Brighton, they didn't want him to go.

I'm a bit unconvinced but v similar situ to vokes, if he goes on and does half as good we have a good un.

utc

silkyskills1
28-07-2014, 04:33 PM
I hope he doesn't read this. Bloody hell, he arrived for less than half a million, bided his time on the bench, scored crucial goals and then is pulled apart on here very unfairly.

garfunkal
28-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Grow up its a messageboard

mkmel
28-07-2014, 04:58 PM
May well get us a few free kicks to be knocked in by Matt Taylor :)

harrowclaret
28-07-2014, 05:14 PM
According to Dyche there are no players in the squad with big egos so very unlikely they would get too upset and have a hissy fit at comments posted about them on this message board.

Most of them arrived for under 1m so highly unlikely they are expecting comparisons with Lionel Messi.

silkyskills1
28-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Never suggested a 'hissy fit'.:? :?

RogerEliHatTrick
28-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Debating whether someone signed for the champ will prove to be good in the Prem shouldn't be too upsetting. I am sure a footballer who can play in front of thousands many who are fling and blinding can cope with a few message board debates. Surely it would make them want to prove doubters wrong.

barracuda
28-07-2014, 05:50 PM
The lad will be very hungry for sure - and that fits well with our squad. Hope he can make an impact and like most strikers - a goal or two will help with that

AccyCarrot
28-07-2014, 06:57 PM
I agree with a number of people about the amount of time he spent on the floor pleading for free kicks. I don't recall him winning many free kicks using this tactic and I think he will get even less decisions from the referees in the Premier League.
However, his contribution once he got his chance was invaluable and I'm sure most are grateful for that. I think his opportunities to start will be limited if all our forwards are fit and on form. He needs to remain patient and take his chances when they come along. I'd suggest he does some work on his upper body strength or he could be labelled a carpet come May.

ets
28-07-2014, 07:43 PM
If he gets his chance, he should score a few.

He showed great desire when he played last season. He will need good service though and will have to shoot with his first touch in PL.

I think he might be down the pecking order and this might cause frustration eventually for him.

SD knows his strengths and weaknesses though.

notnowbernard
29-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Think he will do well. Seemed to have a bit of a habit of being causght offside but will undoubtedly learn & develop under Sean & team. Can still picture the goal against Wigan.

jt_claret
30-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Should the Ingsy/Vokesy song be Ingsy/Barnesy whilst Vokes is out?

Imagine it would be a little disappointing for him if he and Ings are playing, yet the crowd is reminiscing about it being Ings and Vokes.

Looking forward to the whole ground doing it (generally).
- Maybe I'm just getting excited about the season starting and thinking about the atmosphere last time round, especially with Chelsea being a night game.

claretspice
30-07-2014, 11:12 AM
"I agree with a number of people about the amount of time he spent on the floor pleading for free kicks. I don't recall him winning many free kicks using this tactic and I think he will get even less decisions from the referees in the Premier League."

Can't see why anyone would expect him to get less free kicks in the Premier League, where refs allow less physical contact than the Championship. I'd firmly expect him to get more, which could be pretty handy to us. He's good at getting his body between ball and defender is Barnes, and making life awkward for them, which draws fouls.