PDA

View Full Version : I thought we won promotion?

50years
01-08-2014, 06:51 PM
So much negativity on here at the moment.

Regardless of who Dyche brings in we will be competitive.

A few folk on here need to stop pretending they are Mourinho just because they have played a bit of champ manager and try to enjoy the ride.

This time last year it was all doom and gloom but look what happened.:D

UTC!

BennyD
01-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Hear, ****ing hear.

purpleclaret
01-08-2014, 07:06 PM
At last a sensible person.
The muppets on this site should move on
So much for ClaretMad (proud supporters of Burnley FC)
From what i read there are not that many.
This board leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

TuftyBeamish
01-08-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm so looking forward to this Season. Last Season was the best I have ever experienced as a Burnley Fan. No amount of negativity on here or elsewhere is going to burst my bubble.
If last Season was the Pie, this Season is the Gravy.

claretspice
01-08-2014, 07:10 PM
"A few folk on here need to stop pretending they are Mourinho just because they have played a bit of champ manager and try to enjoy the ride."

Balls.

"This time last year it was all doom and gloom but look what happened."

The worst possible argument. We overachieved last year. We got lucky with injuries. Relying on the same level of luck with injuries, and on the same bunch of players overachieving by an even greater margin next time round seems, well, a tad optimistic to me.

Its not negativity, its legitimate frustration on a summer which is currently a long way from going to plan, as I'm quite sure Sean Dyche would acknowledge in a quiet moment.

bobcloth1
01-08-2014, 07:18 PM
I reckon you'll stay around lotty ;-)

egg_fried_rice
01-08-2014, 07:19 PM
i think all fans are looking forward to the season starting, some are just frustrated with the lack of signings which is understandable. i dont think its negativity just worry and frustration, hopefully the club will get the required players in but either way come 18th August every fan will be getting behind the team and looking forward to a season of ups and downs just hopefully more ups than downs

claretnick
01-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Spice, who do you think you are? a football coach who won a promotion to the Premier League. Sick to death of seeing your pompous postings, speaking down to everybody as though you know all the answers. Why don't you take your whingeing somewhere else..

purpleclaret
01-08-2014, 07:23 PM
"Its not negativity, its legitimate frustration on a summer which is currently a long way from going to plan, as I'm quite sure Sean Dyche would acknowledge in a quiet moment."

Now the new dugouts have lots of seats claretspice, no doubt Sean will have you at his side.You are obviously well connected.

ColdPieWarmBeer
01-08-2014, 07:24 PM
To be fair, this website would be proper $hit if every thread was "I canny' wait for Chelsea". "Me too". "Yeah, me too". "I can't wait either". "Me too. I'm well looking forward to it". UTC UTC UTC NNN NNN NNN. BYE.

Turfiteclaret
01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
I too thought we won promotion but the signings we have made so far would have underwhelmed me in the Championship let alone putting a team together to compete against City, Chelsea et al. The cash given by winning promotion is made so Clubs can put a team together to compete in the league surely?

yorksclaret
01-08-2014, 07:26 PM
Legitimate frustration is one thing but the negativity on here refers to just about every single f'knig thing club have done ever since achieving promotion.

ClaretAWH
01-08-2014, 07:29 PM
I said the last 2 months of last year I can't wait to see Vokes and Ings go against a top defence and Trippier to show his worth with tom Heaton throwing his hat in the England ring with Ings and trips. Now I know Vokes has a long way to go for fitness but I do genuinely believe there are not many partnerships around that click like them two do, almost telepathic.

If we go down so be it, if we stay up fantastic, but I really did at the end of last season and also now, our championship 11 are better than 5 other teams in the prem and the guys brought in are good back up with the juke a ready made Vokes until he returns

UTC. And here's to 2014/2015 in claret and blue a t Turf. :D

clarethomer07
01-08-2014, 07:32 PM
We are light on numbers still but transfer window still open til end of month is it not?

I have taken the view that whats meant to be is meant to be. Nothing anyone on here says can influence anything at the club in terms of ticketing, transfers or whatever else people think they know better about.

Roll on Chelsea - hope Danny smashes in a goal equal to our 1st ever one. Personally, I was glad Marney didn't repeat his tranmere goal from last pre-season when we played preston - save that for a game that counts son!

ColdPieWarmBeer
01-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Nothing anyone on here says can influence anything at the club in terms of ticketing, transfers or whatever else people think they know better about.

I'm not entirely sure that is relevant in the context of a supporters' messageboard, but point of pedantry; the reaction the the retainer prompted the announcement of a price-freeze on next year's renewals. Stop looking at a bloody website as a black hole of negativity. It isn't. It's an extension of a conversation in a pub. If the sound of a monumental bore talking absolute *******s in a pub vexes me so much, I tend to walk to the other side of the pub.

cricketfield72
01-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Some posters on here will be like pigs in sh!t if we lose a few on the spin next season.

;D

ColdPieWarmBeer
01-08-2014, 07:44 PM
when we lose a few on the spin next season.

When?

WHEN?

Doom monger! Doom monger! Cast down the heretic!

JohnAngusFan
01-08-2014, 07:55 PM
"Balls.

"This time last year it was all doom and gloom but look what happened."

The worst possible argument. We overachieved last year. We got lucky with injuries. Relying on the same level of luck with injuries, and on the same bunch of players overachieving by an even greater margin next time round seems, well, a tad optimistic to me.

Its not negativity, its legitimate frustration on a summer which is currently a long way from going to plan, as I'm quite sure Sean Dyche would acknowledge in a quiet moment."

Really Spice, why is it the worst possible argument?

We didn't get lucky with injuries, we had Duff, Wallace, Marney, Mee, Kightly, Trippier, Vokes and Ings out for key games or long periods. This is a substantial portion of our first team squad it is just that we weren't desperately unlucky apart from Wallace and more importantly Vokes. Why did we come 2nd with 93 points, because we played as a team.

We can't spend our way to salvation, every other club in the PL can outs

mgill87
01-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Completely agree with the OP. There have been a few very negative posters. As I said on another thread, this is a time to enjoy! I honestly didn't believe we'd get another crack at the top flight yet here we are :)

CeeCideClaret
01-08-2014, 08:09 PM
"The worst possible argument. We overachieved last year. We got lucky with injuries. Relying on the same level of luck with injuries, and on the same bunch of players overachieving by an even greater margin next time round seems, well, a tad optimistic to me."

If overachieving by a greater margin you mean finish in second place again, I would agree. However, the target I would imagine is to try and finish in 17th or above. Although difficult, I think it is an achievable target.

minniemouth
01-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Turfite, we are not looking to compete with the top 4, they have far to much money for that. That doesn't mean that in a one off game we can't take points off them.
Our goal has to be to compete with the bottom 10 with the sole ambition of survival. I believe the existing squad can do that. Now a couple of key additions would greatly help.

yorksclaret
01-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Our goal has to be to compete with the bottom 10

No, no, no. We haven't forgotten already have we?

WE LOOK NO FURTHER THAN THE NEXT GAME.

clarethomer07
01-08-2014, 08:31 PM
There is a line that often gets confused on here and that is the one that separates opinions and facts.

murger
01-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Claretnick, who do you think YOU ARE?

People are genuinely frustrated at the clubs inability to get a deal done. Why just not take off your Claret tinted glasses for a second eh?

claret78
01-08-2014, 08:56 PM
I don't think it's negativity towards Dyche, I think it's more frustration that we just aren't/ can't compete in the transfer market despite being a Premier League club.

My main worry is that except for Ings this squad is completely lacking of any pace. I realise the defence was our strong point last season but it's going to be a totally different kettle of fish in a couple of weeks, and I really fear for Trippier Duff/Dawson Shackell and Mee- let's hope they're fit!

claretspice
01-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Perhaps I overreacted a touch at the top of the thread.

But lets get this right: the thing that is most condescending, pompous, whatever other lofty word you want to use on this thread, its the notion of the OP that if you have a view on the club's transfer dealings this summer which is critical, its cos you play Championship Manager and think it equates to reality.

Pretty much everyone on this messageboard is smarter than that, and forms their opinions with a little bit more credibility than that.

Just saying 'if you've a negative view at the moment about anything, all your views on the club must be negative, and by the way youre a moron who thinks a computer reflects real life' isn't really a comment worthy of debate.

mkmel
01-08-2014, 09:12 PM
"I reckon you'll stay around lotty"

I can't see any post on here from lotty so who are you talking to?

oO0sLoPpYpLoPpY0Oo
01-08-2014, 09:19 PM
I think all the negative posters are either dirty weeds or wovers fans trying to wind us up .

bobcloth1
01-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Must be seeing stuff mkmel :-)

mkmel
01-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Do you also hear voices? :D

feej72
01-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Posted 01 Aug 2014 20:25
re: I thought we won promotion?
I too thought we won promotion but the signings we have made so far would have underwhelmed me in the Championship let alone putting a team together to compete against City, Chelsea et al.

We aren't really competing with City, Chelsea et al, we never will.

Oh Murger's back, we must be in the PL.

In ClaretSpice we trust.

MDP1
01-08-2014, 09:48 PM
The perception at the moment, rightly or wrongly, is that the fans are being treated as cash cows, and being financially squeezed to the absolute maximum in an effort to extract every last drop of revenue.

Couple this with the underwhelming signings so far, the disappointment of losing out on Bryson, and the frustration over the protracted Dawson saga, then I think it's entirely understandable that fans who have stumped up the cash for season tickets and new shirts, are asking questions.

The fans are doing their bit, but are the club holding it's side of the bargain? I'd like to think so. The next few weeks will identify whether we are indeed a progressive club, or again looking to take the money and run.

I say again, because that is exactly what we did after the Coyle debacle. We cut our losses and ran. The faith that was lost back then has only really been restored now, nearly five years on. If the shameful surrender of January 2010 was to happen again this season, then I for one,

murger
01-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Never been away feej

Mk1Golf_BFC
01-08-2014, 10:01 PM
I said ages ago, it seems Dyche is struggling to sign his priority transfer targets, and I'm only more convinced of that as time goes by. It will have been a frustrating summer for him, after doing so fantastically well last season I bet he hoped the board would go a bit further financially to sign who he wants.

Doubt Bryson was looking for 100,000 grand a week to come and play in the Premier League. Instead he opted to stay at Derby. The Dawson saga is becoming a joke now, really hoping we don't miss out on him too

3putt
01-08-2014, 10:32 PM
"i think all fans are looking forward to the season starting, some are just frustrated with the lack of signings which is understandable. i dont think its negativity just worry and frustration, hopefully the club will get the required players in but either way come 18th August every fan will be getting behind the team and looking forward to a season of ups and downs just hopefully more ups than downs"

Very well said egg_fried_rice. A very sensible and well balanced post. Which pretty much hits the nail on the head for most fans.

The Bedlington Terrier
02-08-2014, 01:28 PM
I am having one of my "shake my head moments"!
We are now in the Premier League, we have seriously strengthened a very good squad, we have players on extended contracts, we have loads of dosh in the bank and Chelsea are arriving to play us in a league fixture in the same division as us in a fortnight. WTF is there to moan about? Just believe!

ColdPieWarmBeer
02-08-2014, 01:37 PM
we have seriously strengthened a very good squad

Open to interpretation, that. No massive improvements on the starting XI. Juke is possibly better foil for Ings than Barnes, being practically a carbon copy of Big Sam, and Taylor is a good signing, but we're short of improvements down the spine of the team. We only have two genuine centre midfielders which is pretty $hit considering we're going in to a Premier League season.

The Bedlington Terrier
02-08-2014, 06:24 PM
I think we might have another "jewel in the crown" in young Hewitt. Now is his time! A heart in a Burnley shirt beats a salaried nomad any day for me!

yorksclaret
02-08-2014, 07:09 PM
The lack of transfer activity so far is nothing to be too worried about - just about every club is in the same boat.

The World Cup players have been allowed to return to their clubs later than usual so clubs are holding onto their players for the friendlies. This has a knock on effect which slows the whole market.

We'll see a lot more activity across the board in the next few weeks.

Darthlaw
02-08-2014, 07:56 PM
I think I can count on one hand the number of transfers that have gone through for reasonable money.

Shaw - 36 million
Lallana - 25 million?
Luiz - 50 million
Lukaku - -26 million
McCormack - 11 million (still have a chuckle over this one)

The list of ridiculous deals as above, however, goes on.

The only transfers going through at the minute are the ones where clubs have met 'the offer which can't be refused'. The market will stabilise soon enough and I'm sure we will add to our squad before the end of the window.

The lack of quality cover in defence and centre midfield concerns me slightly but I have full faith that the additions to the squad have no doubt improved the squad, particularly in experience.

Panic when it's September 1st and we haven't signed anyone. Until then just relax.

sheffieldturfite
02-08-2014, 09:47 PM
claretsmad has been getting a bad press recently for rampant negativity, and while constructive opinions will always be a good thing, articulate or inarticulate hindsighters (we have both) does just drag everyone else down and undermines the club in what should be one of our most positive times.

Who knows what circumstances the club have had, and whether frustration is the appropriate feeling? If we had signed three players for a combined 20m and then one gets injured and one proves not good enough, where does that leave us then?

At least now we have plenty of dry powder, and in Dyche we trust ;-)

Mike_Baldwin
03-08-2014, 09:21 AM
There is no doubt SD is frustrated like many supporters you only have to read his comments to know that. Last week he said something along the lines of we should have a couple in this week not in time for the Preston game but more likely for Blackpool. Yesterday he admitted it's pushing the deals through that's proving difficult but we are active. As supporters we like to think we know what we need out on the pitch but we have recently had offers turned down for Dawson Bryson and Deeney so that suggests the areas SD is currently concentrating on

The board do a great job and I wouldn't swap them with anybody else's, but they don't get everything right even though we were promoted last season and for perspective last season is exactly that and is confined to history as glorious as it was. The club need to be prepared for a different challenge in the near future.

On this forum we lack balance , we have some members talking about half a million quid as though it's pin money it clearly

harrowclaret
03-08-2014, 10:08 AM
The club certainly need to be prepared for a different challenge but Sean Dyche has consistently maintained that he is not looking to replace any of the players within the current squad but simply add to their numbers. This rules out any major signings since those players would be looking for a first team slot. Time will tell as to whether being able to run for 90 mins + and being able to track back is enough to survive for a season in the Premier League without the added quality that other sides possess.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
03-08-2014, 10:13 AM
'Time will tell if Being able to run for 90+ mins and being able to track back is enough to survive in the premier league'

Is that all that won us promotion last season then?

treadmillclaret
03-08-2014, 10:25 AM
In Dyche we should definitely trust after what he achieved last season. I`d go far as to say not one poster on this site - me included - was thinking on August 3rd 2013 that we would even finish in the top 6 - let alone run away with automatic.

And whilst the Premiership is very obviously a big step up - let`s not forget how hard the Championship is and how much we finished a long long way ahead of clubs so much bigger and stronger than us financially.

From a relativity point of view for us to stay up would be on a par with what we did last year...which means we have a good chance because we have the same manager and pretty much the same team.

All that said i do think SD has become frustrated with the transfer dealings - he will carry on talking positive but his language is now beginning to change based on his interview yesterday when he started to talk about the existing players.

Bryson, Deeney and Dawson are all players that would surely have gone straight into the first eleven -

treadmillclaret
03-08-2014, 10:32 AM
harrow - of course he would maintain that - but lets not pretend that if we signed Deeney, Dawson or Bryson that they would all be sat on those lovely new claret leather seats

...because i`m sure it would be Barnes, Duffo and one other who would be the ones with lovely warm and comfy bots !!

harrowclaret
03-08-2014, 10:49 AM
treadmillclaret - since we have been priced out of the 3 players that you mention (always quoted on here as the main transfer targets) perhaps Sean Dyche has had to considerably lower his sights and just be satisfied with adding to the squad numbers.

Sean took so long chasing Barnes surely he is not to become part of the furniture just yet.:D

treadmillclaret
03-08-2014, 11:06 AM
yep think that`s right Harrow

however, clearly that "acceptance" was not the original plan and of course he will just get on with the job in hand but he would definitely have preferred to sign and have these players at his disposal.

army88
03-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Some good responses on this to original. Post .

But to be fair to Dyche he's hardly going to go to the press and say he's looking for players in positions that we need to strengthen is he ?

I mean is main ethic is the group/ the team and together ness , if you start saying we need to strengthen midfield , Marney jones , Arfield etc could all start thinking he thinks I'm not good enough . ( human nature )

We are going to have to splash the cash soon though as much as I love the lads that got us to the promise land , the premiership is a totally different animal.

Being workmanlike and a tight unit goes along way , but I'm not sure it goes all the way to survival.

This could be a massive year in Burnleys future if we get it right , the sky money and tv rights could secure the clubs future for years to come .