PDA

View Full Version : 'Quality' player - what does this actually mean to you?

Alp12Mac
02-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Almost every thread regarding potential signings or how we will fare next season is littered with comments about our lack of 'Quality' or 'Quality' signings.

Is it the fee paid or perhaps the salary demanded?

Is it having played at the highest level for the biggest teams?

Is it simply a buzz word like 'amazing' that just has to be repeated ad nauseam but has no real substance?

Is it a good honest professional that will train hard, live clean and play to the best of his ability?

We have all seen more than a few 'Quality' players signed for massive fees on massive wages around the Premier league that have turned out to be massive flops so come on then, especially those who keep on demanding, what defines 'Quality'?

clareturion
02-08-2014, 09:02 AM
A player who possesses one touch control with either foot, accurate passing, athletic build, stamina, acceleration and balance, good positional sense and an awareness of others on the field.

In short 90 % that Tyrone Mears wasn't XD

harrowclaret
02-08-2014, 09:12 AM
This was a phrase always used by our previous manager Eddie Howe and he is continuing to use the same phrase down at Bournemouth.

Just google "Eddie Howe quality not quantity" and you will get loads of examples of him using this phrase.

Quattro
02-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Everybody will have a different opinion on this, but for me it all boils down to a players ability in their favoured position at the level they are playing.

Rowls
02-08-2014, 10:32 AM
"Quality" players are the ones with shiny foil backs in my panini sticker album.

FACT

Balanbam00
02-08-2014, 11:28 AM
If I took these questions as A) B) C) and D).

It would have to be D !!!

One word sums it up for me and thats "determination" .
D) Has all those points .

In life if you want to chase any achievement the first requisition has to be determination!

TuftyBeamish
02-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Scott Arfield embodies it.

IanMcL
02-08-2014, 04:11 PM
It's the ones that stand out by a country mile!

COYC73
02-08-2014, 04:55 PM
A quality player to me is someone who is one of the best players in the league, in their position and performs week in week out.

dsr
02-08-2014, 04:59 PM
When we're looking at "quality" signings, I reckon it means the sort of signing where we have competition from several other Premier league clubs. Not the sort, like Sordell, Jutkiewicz, Dawson etc. where the rest of the Premier don't really want them.

Of course, the chances of us signing anyone in demand by any of the richer clubs is next to nil. So if you want "quality" signings, you're going to be unlucky.

CnBtruntru
02-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Messi

The Bedlington Terrier
02-08-2014, 06:29 PM
If you want the epitome of a "quality player" look no further than Heaton, Trippier, Shackell, Mee, Duff, Jones, Marney, Kightly, Arfield, Ings, Vokes, Wallace, The Juke, Sordell, Gilks, Hewitt, Barnes et al. These are quality players and I would really love to be young enough and talented enough to be a part of them!

Bin_Ont_Turf
02-08-2014, 06:33 PM
'Is it simply a buzz word like 'amazing' that just has to be repeated ad nauseam but has no real substance?'

On here it's this one Alp.