PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a sloping pitch?

belgianclaret
13-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Surprised to read that whilst on holiday: 13-page season preview in Daily Mirror I think. One of the pundits (can't remember who) says atmosphere and sloping pitch can be intimidating for opponents.

Must say that during all my visits I have never particularly noticed a slope in our pitch. Maybe because the seats are also sloping :?

elwaclaret
13-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Historically the pitch used to slope towards the Longside. Sure it was corrected many many years ago though.

claretmisterg
13-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Thought that was why we always chose to play towards cricket field if we won the toss. Against the slope. Is that just a myth ?

elwaclaret
13-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Think you right too claretmisterg, but that was even longer ago than when sitting in the Boblord stand when I was a boy you couldn't see the ball on the Longside touchline. Bring back memories.

claret78
13-08-2014, 08:08 PM
I read that too- it was Martin Keown! Can someone tell me when Martin Keown played on Turf Moor and it was sloped. I can't ever remember him even playing at our ground???!

TuftyBeamish
13-08-2014, 08:19 PM
The whole ground has a natural incline down towards the Bee Hole End. Up until about 1998 the pitch had a crowned surface that was higher at the Bee Hole End than at the Cricket Field End. When the pitch was re-laid it was done without the crown. This has led there to be a slight slope toward the Bee Hole End. A ver slight one that can be seen when you look at the height of the Lord Bob front wall from one end to the other.

Quattro
13-08-2014, 08:25 PM
People could easily think that the pitch slopes downwards from the Cricket Field Stand towards the Jimmy Mac Stand, because the Bob Lord Wall at the CFS end is about 2 feet tall, yet at the JMS end, it's about 7 foot tall!

My lad wanted to go on the pitch after the Wigan game, but at that height, there was no way I was jumping!

yorkyclaret
13-08-2014, 08:29 PM
There is a slope on it, if you look at the Bob Lord stand, that is built level, you can see that the front wall is about 3 foot high at the cricket field end but 6 foot high at the Bee Hole end.http://i60.tinypic.com/17ttnq.jpg

Claretforever
14-08-2014, 08:13 AM
We haven't had a slop on our pitch for years. If you recall when the old Longside was up, taking corners from the corner of the Bee hole and Longside they had to run up a little slope from when the pitch was levelled. I'm sure that's the case.

Regarding a crown, ALL pitches at a certain level would have a crown in the middle. It's so water runs off, so no pitch would be exactly level.

surfnturf
14-08-2014, 08:23 AM
when you look at the pitch from the bob lord stand across to the jimmy hargreaves stand it definately looks like it slopes when you see the level of the pitch compared to the bottom of the stand.But when we played a game on it last summer,didnt feel like there was a slope at all,just felt absolutely huge.

sausages
14-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Perhaps Martin Keown has one leg longer than the other?

the_quoon
14-08-2014, 08:41 AM
i think you'll find the bob lord stand was built with a slope. there's less rows at the cricket field end.

morninbob
14-08-2014, 08:50 AM
never noticed that before, the quoon is correct, there is one more row at bee hole end ! You'd have thought it would be the other way round if the wall is higher at that end.

clareturion
14-08-2014, 09:08 AM
You've mentioned the obvious slope but I believe there is a slight slope down from BL to JH stand and from BL / CF corner down to JM /JH corner

http://i57.tinypic.com/xav0ug.jpg

either that or every architect BFC employed was pi$$ed.

LoveCurryPies
14-08-2014, 09:53 AM
I like the idea of a 3D pitch similar to a golf course complete with bunkers and roughs. B)

g69
14-08-2014, 10:21 AM
I was puzzled reading those same comments Quote:Turf Moor has always been a difficult place to go with a sloped pitch and the fans create a febrile atmosphere. (meaning I had to look up) Dyche has real confidence too but his players have to match him.
UTC

CnBtruntru
14-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Slope me arse, always looks like that after about four pints, especially when i' am holding the camera :D

ClaretTony2014
14-08-2014, 04:03 PM
The pitch has always sloped hasn't it?

IanMcL
14-08-2014, 04:12 PM
I thought it was the stands that sloped?

scouseclaret
14-08-2014, 07:08 PM
We are a small club from the lower divisions. All small clubs from the lower divisions have sloping pitches - FACT. Its the only way to explain why small clubs from lower divisions sometimes beat big clubs with billiard-table pitches.

File under "Glib cliches for Ill-Informed Pundits" alongside "Burnley were absolutely useless last time" and "Burnley play in the Ribble Valley." ish. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28689039)