PDA

View Full Version : Jack Cork

skiptonclaret
13-08-2014, 09:56 PM
3m to Crystal Palace.
If only...

dsr
13-08-2014, 10:59 PM
If only ... what? If only he'd take a massive pay cut?

enola_gay
13-08-2014, 11:04 PM
How do we know he hasn't?

skiptonclaret
13-08-2014, 11:09 PM
@dsr. Well, yeah, probably.
If true, I can only conclude that Burnley have got their (alleged) valuation of Lansbury about right.

claretblue
13-08-2014, 11:28 PM
'...If true, I can only conclude that Burnley have got their (alleged) valuation of Lansbury about right...'

or we've missed out bringing Jack back to Turf Moor!

skiptonclaret
13-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Anything over 3m is too much for Lansbury. Not least that he appears to be a bit of a "sick note"

arise_sir_charge
14-08-2014, 06:22 AM
People are right about Cork, no way at all we could compete with that ogliarch backed major Premier League heavyweight Crystal Palace is there...

Cork may prefer London, fine, but if people are saying we have no way of competing against the likes of Palace for players then it's going to be even harder than we thought. Place are a similar club to us in many respects.

People can point to the second season etc but Palace have earned that by taking a punt in their first season. They didn't go mad, they bought well, with a good manager and were successful.

I acceot that we may not want Cork, we may have other irons in the fire but so far this summer there is no getting away from the fact that our transfers have been disappointing. Even the most ardent board/manager backers, will, deep down know that things haven't really gone to plan.

It may all change in the next two weeks but the rumours have dried up and it's all very quiet and a little concerning.

neverforget87
14-08-2014, 06:50 AM
I thought Palace signed about 13 players last season and only started picking up points when most of them were dropped.

arise_sir_charge
14-08-2014, 07:09 AM
Not sure about that, they made some very good signings last season hence why they stayed up comfortably.

CariocaClaret
14-08-2014, 07:15 AM
They made some very poor signings in the summer transfer window before rectifying that in January.

It's not that we can't compete with Palace, it's just that we aren't willing to pay the sort of wages that they are. Paying between 30k and 40k per week for somebody to play for us would be complete madness

Jamb0MackemClaret
14-08-2014, 08:52 AM
They stayed up because they got in a manager who knew what he was doing, and made two or three canny signings in January.

If Cork is moving for 3m it's a real shame. Obviously his wages might be a problem but if we're talking 4m for Lansbury, that's more money for someone not as good. And a million quid over a year is 20k a week - probably the difference between their wages.

I assume we've just decided we're not even going to try to compete for Premier League players.

ClaretTony2014
14-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Maybe Dyche had no interest in Cork

skiptonclaret
14-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Maybe not...he does have a loan spell at Watford on his cv though ! Ticks one of the boxes..

Jamb0MackemClaret
14-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Maybe he didn't want him, I'm sure he has other midfield targets other than Lansbury. Very good player to be moving for 3m though, Palace have got an absolute bargain.

cubanclaret
14-08-2014, 09:07 AM
A player in the Lansbury mould is more a priority for our squad than Cork IMO. But like CT says no particular reason that he would have been on Sean's radar.

ClaretTony2014
14-08-2014, 09:09 AM
I suppose it's the usual obsession with wanting ex players back

belgianclaret
14-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Cork not the type of player we need now IMO.

CM in the ilk of Lansbury needed.

Personally, (if affordable), I'd take a punt on Maloney

Jamb0MackemClaret
14-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Not that much to do with him being an ex-player, more that a proven Premier League player is going for a fee that would presumably be within our reach if we're offering more for Lansbury.

LincolnClaret
14-08-2014, 09:33 AM
3 million is an absolute bargain for Jack Cork. I'd be surprised if we weren't at least intrigued to find out his wage demands to be honest. We need some strength in depth and Cork would have been fighting for the first team without doubt. 7 million for him and Lansbury would appear to be quite cheap in today's market.

Rick_Muller
14-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I'm sorry, I don't get it. I never rated Jack Cork, he had the occasional good game, but so did many other players we had. He was lightweight and far too easily knocked off the ball. He also seemed to spin around on the spot too much for my liking. Another example of "cult" status that was never really lived up to.

distortiondave
14-08-2014, 09:39 AM
'I suppose it's the usual obsession with wanting ex players back'

You mean like our manager? Deeney (linked), Mariappa (linked), Kacaniklic (signed), Sordell (signed), Kightly (signed)...

BigChaCha
14-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Yes Rick ... Jack has been a complete failure since leaving us!

Anyone who does not think he would add to our squad is in cloud cuckoo land and 3m is a complete bargain. Have to agree though that he is beyond our wage structure at the moment.

skiptonclaret
14-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Wages and probably location.

Rick_Muller
14-08-2014, 09:59 AM
"Yes Rick ... Jack has been a complete failure since leaving us!"

It's all about opinions, and mine is that he's not that good (overhyped) - OK it's a different opinion from yours, but life would be boring if we all agreed all the time.

lucs86
14-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Waste of time, couldn't afford his PL wages, if we did it would cock our wage structure up and probably negatively affect the squad.

Lansbury's on 9k, we can work on that sort of player.

ClaretTony2014
14-08-2014, 12:07 PM
"'I suppose it's the usual obsession with wanting ex players back'

You mean like our manager? Deeney (linked), Mariappa (linked), Kacaniklic (signed), Sordell (signed), Kightly (signed)..."

No I don't and it would take some strange effort to think I do.

It's always the same on here whether it's players or managers we are looking at. We've even had suggestions of bringing the likes of Fletcher, Eagles and Mears back on here this summer.

timscoot
14-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Good player - We couldn't get anywhere near the wages offered by Southampton in 2011 and presumably he won't be moving anywhere on smaller wages . Rumours suggested 40k per week at the time

Plus how do we know we haven't enquired about him - we are not exactly open (quite rightly) about our transfer dealings .

We may have enquired and his agent said no interest - from my recollection he was booed every time he got possession at the turf on his return by some - might have told us to do one !

rhinosleeds
14-08-2014, 12:22 PM
The Lansbury issue seems pretty much stagnant as there is nothing on his Twitter feed to suggest that he is moving anytime soon, added to that, SSN believes Burnley have not come back with anything since their bid was rejected.

The whole transfer jargon coming out of Burnley for the past 4-5 weeks has been, "we are hoping to get a maybe two or three over the line", but with little idea of who these players are the rumors have died down.

I believe that it's a case of the club going with what they have got now, obviously Dyche has confidence in his team by stating that any players signed would only be to add to the squad & not necessarily for the starting XI.

Perhaps that is where a portion of the problem in recruiting has been this summer, players wanting a guaranteed starting berth to come?

Bin_Ont_Turf
14-08-2014, 12:26 PM
'The Lansbury issue seems pretty much stagnant as there is nothing on his Twitter feed to suggest that he is moving anytime soon'

What exactly are you expecting?

'I've just bought a house on Brunshaw Rd... lolz'

skiptonclaret
14-08-2014, 12:26 PM
What's the "transfer deadline" re the Chelsea game ?

mgill87
14-08-2014, 12:31 PM
"I thought Palace signed about 13 players last season and only started picking up points when most of them were dropped."

I think you're right. Didn't Holloway quit and admit they changed too much, too fast?