PDA

View Full Version : Time to move on from Dawson ?

morninbob
14-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Can't see West Brom letting him go now with "No timescale" on Lescott's return from a knee injury. - view external link (http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-alan-irvine-unsure-7609503)

jdrobbo
14-08-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm confident we'll get Dawson - we might just have to sit it out. West Brom don't want him and they're trying to force our hand.

ClaretTony2014
14-08-2014, 08:57 AM
If Dawson is the defender Dyche wants then I don't think we should be moving on at all.

topcat69
14-08-2014, 08:58 AM
I hope so after all this time.
But there must be a plan B.

pearcey
14-08-2014, 09:00 AM
I think Dawson wants to come as much as we want him to come. Fingers crossed this happens before the deadline.

morninbob
14-08-2014, 09:10 AM
if we'd have bid the 2.5M that they want 2 months ago then we'd have got him and he could have benefited from dyche's legendry pre season.

ClaretTony2014
14-08-2014, 09:14 AM
"if we'd have bid the 2.5M that they want 2 months ago then we'd have got him and he could have benefited from dyche's legendry pre season."

If you want to believe that then fine but the Dawson deal is nothing to do with money.

claretlegend
14-08-2014, 09:16 AM
'If you want to believe that then fine but the Dawson deal is nothing to do with money.'

Injuries? Or are West Brom just hard work?

morninbob
14-08-2014, 09:24 AM
if it's nothing to do with money then why have they rejected our 3 previous bids ?

BigChaCha
14-08-2014, 09:25 AM
"If you want to believe that then fine but the Dawson deal is nothing to do with money"

Their is no such thing in football as "nothing to do with money"

Football is all about money and every player has a price. I convinced we could get him singed in the next few days if we really wanted to!

LancasterClaret
14-08-2014, 09:30 AM
I'll get him with my lighter.

BigChaCha
14-08-2014, 09:36 AM
The fact is we like to play the long game when in transfer negotiations to get the best deal for the club which has worked on occasions. This tactic seems to have back fired with Dawson as they now have injuries in his position and he has a good chance of starting the season. This closed season we needed to be more aggressive with transfers and maybe even paying a little over the odds, sometimes you have to do that and this is the season where we needed to capitalize on our position. The long game may still work for us by the end of the transfer window but I still think we need to be a lot more aggressive in this area!

sinkov
14-08-2014, 09:38 AM
WBA must be loving this, one of their relegation rivals leaving it up to them to decide whether we strengthen our defence or not. Naive doesn't even begin to describe this brinkmanship with WBA, insanity is better.

Of course it all might turn out OK and WBA will cave in and let us have him on the cheap. On the other hand, looking at it from their point of view,

1) They have injury problems.
2) They don't need the money.
3) Irvine is reported to fancy playing three at the back so they might have need of him.
4) They could wreck our plans to strengthen the defence.

Four good reasons for them to string us along and then sit tight. Seems to me we're taking an awfully big risk with this endless pursuit of Dawson.

pearcey
14-08-2014, 09:45 AM
I love the fact there are so many knowledgable people on this board. They should all be employed by the club to carry out the multi-million pound deals as our board have no experience.

Funkydrummer
14-08-2014, 09:48 AM
It's up the creek :D

clareturion
14-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Whatever the reason the transfer is not going ahead I really do hope our board are learning how proper clubs like WBA, Forest and Watford negotiate, rather than our policy of dropping our proverbial knickers in anticipation of someone, somewhere opening their wallet.

Rileybobs
14-08-2014, 10:31 AM
'Whatever the reason the transfer is not going ahead I really do hope our board are learning how proper clubs like WBA, Forest and Watford negotiate'

Oh yes, those proper clubs Forest and Watford who are competing at a division below our 'tinpot' outfit.

ClaretTony2014
14-08-2014, 10:32 AM
"Whatever the reason the transfer is not going ahead I really do hope our board are learning how proper clubs like WBA, Forest and Watford negotiate"

West Brom fans up in arms at the way their club is run, Forest is where manager and owners fall out on a regular basis and Watford is a feeder club for Udinese.

I really hope our board are not learning from clubs like that.

The Bedlington Terrier
14-08-2014, 10:52 AM
I believe the way we are doing our business is the 100% correct paradigm for Burnley Football Club. Other clubs of our size will be soon recognize this methodology and be following in our footsteps. The loaded clubs can blow 11 & 12 million on the likes of Long and McCormack. We can't and we won't and I still believe that Dawson will imminently become a Claret!

bobcloth1
14-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Yeah, we might end up struggling even more because we haven't sufficiently improved the team but at least we stuck to our our guns in the negotiations.

That's what I'll be thinking off come kick off every week.

clareturion
14-08-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm not alluding to their on the field managerial performance so it doesn't matter which division they are in. It's that they do not act like two-bit whores in transfer negotiations unlike ourselves.

Add to that Norwich with Lambert v us with Coyle.

Watford, WBA & Forest v us with Charlie and likely Ings next year.

The only one where we held out for a decent price was JayRod and that was down to the player ( in part ) if Lee Hoos is to be believed.

harrowclaret
14-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Which multi million pound deals have the club carried out this season?

1.5m for a striker?

clareturion
14-08-2014, 11:09 AM
And I forgot Bryson with Derby

LancasterClaret
14-08-2014, 11:20 AM
The club have always got good deals for the players we have moved on.

Thinking anything else is just made up ****wittery.

clareturion
14-08-2014, 11:25 AM
The club have always got good deals for the players we have moved on.

If 4m for a 25 goal a season striker in the championship is a good price I'm a chinaman.

I'll not count the ones we lost a fortune on like Stanislas, Treacy, Paterson,Edgar, Eckersley, Penny, Grant and probably Wallace.

LancasterClaret
14-08-2014, 11:28 AM
In the last year of his contract? With a pretty poor injury record?

I'm sure you are unhappy with the incomings this season, but don't use stuff that just isn't true to back it up.

clareturion
14-08-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm sure you are unhappy with the incomings this season, but don't use stuff that just isn't true to back it up.

Lansbury's injury record is not that clever.

Troy Deeney has a criminal record FFS but they still hold out for a decent price.

LancasterClaret
14-08-2014, 11:36 AM
You were saying that we don't do well in the transfer market.

Its blatantly not true, is it?

Otherwise we'd be like PNE

clareturion
14-08-2014, 11:38 AM
You were saying that we don't do well in the transfer market.

Its blatantly not true, is it?

Otherwise we'd be like PNE

Hey !!! Anyone who gets 750K for Wallace and 450K for Treacy can't be that bad. Ohhh wait a minute it was us that fell for that wasn't it ?

Rileybobs
14-08-2014, 11:39 AM
'I'm not alluding to their on the field managerial performance so it doesn't matter which division they are in.'

The thing is though, it kind of does, doesn't it?

Watford holding out for a decent price on Deeney is irrelevant if no one actually pays the ridiculously high fee they are holding out for.

LancasterClaret
14-08-2014, 11:42 AM
You are missing the point.

We've bought and sold well over the years otherwise we wouldn't be looking forward to playing Chelsea on Monday.

I get the frustration about the transfer situation, but we will have the players in.

Whether thats going to be enough, well, we are going to find out!

clareturion
14-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Watford holding out for a decent price on Deeney is irrelevant if no one actually pays the ridiculously high fee they are holding out for.

I suppose it depends on whether you think having Deeney gives you an advantage in achieiving promotion. I realise this might be an unusual consideration for some as Burnley hardly ever use it.

Rileybobs
14-08-2014, 11:45 AM
'Hey !!! Anyone who gets 750K for Wallace and 450K for Treacy can't be that bad. Ohhh wait a minute it was us that fell for that wasn't it ?'

Danny Ings 1m, Charlie Austin 1.5m...

Rileybobs
14-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Clareturion, supporting Burnley obviously makes you feel miserable, why do you bother? Genuine question.

clareturion
14-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Miserable ?... No...sometimes it's quite laughable actually.

bfcjg
14-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Stop digging man, for heavens sake stop digging :D

treadmillclaret
14-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Wow - clareturion - you sound a tad mental !!

Fletcher ; Austin ; Jayrod ; Eagles ; Mears - even the likes of Andy Gray and Ade Akenbyi...all sold at huge profits - and the one biggest single factor why we have not gone into administration.

Compare this to the players you mentioned - Stanislas - wasn't he a free ?
Wallace - he still plays for us ! ; and the likes of Penny and Eckersley which add up to less than a million - are you actually criticising the club because they don't have a 100% record on transfer dealings ?

Let's not even mention the likes of Trippier ; Danny Ings etc because frankly the only thing that is "laughable" here is you.

I'd say "enjoy the season"...but pretty sure that this is something you would never do - whatever the circumstances - which is actually quite sad.

dsr
14-08-2014, 02:22 PM
OK, urion - with our stupid and useless transfer policy, we've ended up in the Premier League and solvent. And you're saying Preston did it better?

braindead
14-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Is this clareturion having a dig at Burnley's board of directors?

Well there's a thing you don't see every day.

** disclaimer, there may be moderate to heavy doses of sarcasm in this post

mgill87
14-08-2014, 02:51 PM
I think we've done very well in the fees we've received for players over the years.

The Bedlington Terrier
14-08-2014, 05:00 PM
The long term future of our football club is of major import. Just enjoy another season in the sun..!

jojomk1
14-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Martin Kelly just moved from Liverpool to Palace for around 2m

Good chance of a plan B missed there

cockneyclaret
14-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Didnt know "eggs in one basket" had a plan b.. c.. d.. or e????

markyboy12345
14-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Surely we must have a few back ups or are we just going to roll into the season with a few freebies and players signed who were unwanted by their old clubs?

We were threadbare last season and we are no better this season.Still if we save a few m on signing players we will have more dry powder for the championship next year which according to some we are still punching above our weight in, being a small town club and all that.

suttonclaret
14-08-2014, 07:41 PM
why all the fuss,is dawson that good :s

cockneyclaret
14-08-2014, 07:44 PM
The fuss is that we dont seem to be in for any other cb!!!
Shotton fiasco all over again!!