PDA

View Full Version : We all like Duff

raspberryfool1
14-08-2014, 07:47 PM
As a friend of the family, and knowing Mike from 9 years old,we all know he has to be replaced. Premier forwards who play through the middle will sit on his shoulder and kill him for for pace. Off course he will try his best! however i feel the worst.

taio
14-08-2014, 07:52 PM
With friends like you...

fatboy47
14-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Is that you Kevin?

garfunkal
14-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Plenty of nippy forwards struggled against him in the championship

fatboy47
14-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Should we just call a vet and have him put to sleep ??

Give the bloke a break ffs.

bobinho
14-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Pass a message will ya pal?

Tell him he's a legend, and Burnley is better for his presence.

I think he will probably be replaced, due to his age and pace, but if effort and "will to win" counted for anything, he'd play every game. We do need pace in that area tho, or we are going to be properly bummed.

Michael Duff is the best buy that any football club has ever had. Ever.

Ok. Cantona to Manure was a good one, but you know what I mean.

We all love Duff.

fatboy47
14-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Agreed bobhino...when he's done he'll be stuffed and mounted in a glass case outside the Prinny Royal.

JohnAngusFan
14-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Agreed bob into we do all love Duff. he stepped up last season, can he do it again? He sure as Hellas Verona will give it his best. Can he stay injury/suspension free for the season? Nope but I'm glad we have him but we do need more CBs. And I'm sure we will sign one.

claret78
14-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Out of interest - and there's no ulterior motive in the question- but out of his ten seasons with us, how many has he been first choice centre half? I remember when he first joined us he played right back and I thought he should have been in the middle but was it only last season or am I talking bollox?

dsr
14-08-2014, 09:12 PM
He's a better player than he was 5 years ago. And I don't think he's slowed down.

IanMcL
14-08-2014, 09:42 PM
He still posseses the eye to ignore the dazzling feet and stick the toe through the ball and better still, reads the game exceedingly well nowadays. Experience counts - just ask Trippier what a difference Duff makes.

goobs
14-08-2014, 09:57 PM
He was playing right back originally and I remember him getting moved into centre out of necessity for about 3 or 4 games about 6 or 7 years ago and I have maintained since then that he is one of if not the best CB's outside the premiership (one obvious season being the exception owing to us actually being in the BPL).

Although he is in the twilight of his career now I still have no doubt about his quality and am certain that he will still get the job done for us this season.

goobs
14-08-2014, 10:01 PM
I would also like to add that I think that Kevin Long has all the right attributes to be a fantastic CB and replacement for MD and has always impressed me everytime I have seen him play (admittedly I don't get to see half as many games as I would like nowadays so I accept that others who have seen more of him will know better than I).

fungus_the_bogeyman
14-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Keep counting him out. He seems to thrive on proving people wrong. He's done it his entire career. The guy is pure quality.

Pieandapint
14-08-2014, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't be bothered if he didn't start a game all season - but I'm more than happy that he will be around for at least another year. We could have given him 50k a week for this season and we would still have been massively in credit.

Bin_Ont_Turf
14-08-2014, 10:23 PM
'We could have given him 50k a week for this season and we would still have been massively in credit'

What and give the 'throw whatever money West Brom and Nottm Forest want for Dawson and Lansbury' nutters, something else to moan about?

superdimitri
15-08-2014, 02:18 AM
I agree, I think Duff will be the first wake up call. I would love however for him to prove me wrong.

CC_Claret
15-08-2014, 02:28 AM
Paceless centre-backs can still be good...

charlieinkentucky
15-08-2014, 03:31 AM
"you don't need pace if you have sense and positioning"

nearly every older centre half that has lined up in front of me

ashtonlongsider
15-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Along with Peter Noble the best pound for pound signing BFC have had. Think the guy's got better with age. Don't forget Bobby Moore wasn't the quickest and look what he achieved.
Duff still has a key role this season and I expect him to lock horns with Mr Costa on Monday night.

Rick_Muller
15-08-2014, 10:06 AM
I think Mr Costa will have trouble getting out of Duff's pocket all night...

CC_Claret
15-08-2014, 10:14 AM
We might be able to handle Costa, but what about Hazard and Fabregas? I really hope we get a point from them at any rate. Chelsea are my pick to win the league this season, it will be a really difficult test.

RogerBest
15-08-2014, 12:05 PM
There will be occasions in the season when he gets caught out and I agree we need more cover in this area but I think he will do well this season.

Mertesacker is no quicker than him and is doing alright. The problem with his age is with recovery time.

CaptJohn
15-08-2014, 12:29 PM
I think he may well prove a few doubters wrong. Another poster did highlight the one factor that is without question and that is his recovery time. That is one of the reasons we need cover in defence and it will mean that Mee becomes a CH with Lafferty or Taylor as left back on occasion.
Mike Duff=legend :D

El ' magic turn
15-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Bobby Moore always used to say, "the first two yards are in your head."
Duffy will be just fine this season so give the legend a break

Notrigsbyscat
15-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Fabregas is Jones's or Marney's problem, but in that simple question lies the conundrum to the entire season...

... can we play 442, or do we have to go 352 or 451 to deal with opponents' attacking strength?

I think we can go "toe-to-toe" with oppo midfields and defences with our pressing and attacking line, but it's dealing with world-class forwards where 442 might expose us from midfield

permafrost
15-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Mick Duff is everything that Keith Treacy isn't.
complete pro. loves playing for us.

ClaretMani
15-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Cruelly exposed in the premiership last time around, I genuinely fear for Duff this time.
Can see him being outmuscled, out fought and out thought by the better class strikers of the division.
A model professional and stalwart of the club but it's time to remove the sentiment and make a statement of intent by buying a decent central defender.

permafrost
15-08-2014, 02:55 PM
So he's about as good as a dozen or so established prem defenders who are regularly out muscled, out thought and outpaced by the best perm attackers season after season?

sykerjoe
15-08-2014, 03:06 PM
perma in dyche we trust -too many football managers playing on the tinternet here -if mr duff struggles he wont play simples-i think he,ll be outstanding yet again this season utc

DarkCloud
15-08-2014, 03:49 PM
ClaretMani: I don't think Duff WAS seriously exposed in the Prem last time round because he got very few games. We even bought Cort to cover that position when Carlisle/Calwell weren't doing it. That doesn't mean I'm not a little worried about his age/pace come next week and beyond, but after his fantastic season just gone perhaps I (we all) should be having a bit more faith and giving him more of a chance.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
15-08-2014, 04:00 PM
'Duff was seriously exposed in the premier league last time.'

In which games?

ClaretMani
15-08-2014, 04:36 PM
The premiership is a different kettle of fish to the Championship.
A blind man on a galloping horse can see that.

ColdPieWarmBeer
15-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Success last season wasn't down to Duff being capable in the Championship, it was built on defending as a team. You hardly noticed Shackell and Duff last season which is usually a sign of a defender doing his job properly. Came up against some quick, clever forwards last season, and whilst you're never going to go through a season without conceding, at no point was he a liability. Biggest concern for me is the lack of cover for injuries and suspensions. When that concern turns to people (understandably) clamouring for a CB, it's easy to equate that to writing off Duff, but it's far from the case. I'm actually pleased to bits that he's getting his chance and starting on Monday.

sykerjoe
15-08-2014, 07:06 PM
" a blind man on a galloping horse can see that "- actually he cant see it he,s blind .