PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Ward

1989_claret
14-08-2014, 08:32 PM
@bodenknights: BREAKING: Burnley have hijacked Brighton's bid to sign Wolves left back Stephen Ward.

@bodenknights: Ward had been due for medical at Brighton today, but hasn't undergone one amid Burnley interest.

Morgan
14-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Good grief. I thought CM was now linking a central character from the Profumo affair with Cliff Richard.
Wouldn't surprise me.

Walton
14-08-2014, 08:41 PM
2 central midfielders, 3 left backs. What.

Bin_Ont_Turf
14-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Mee to centre half, makes sense. ;D

Well at least we know how this thread is going to go. I wonder which div will be the first.

JeremyBender
14-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Nothing has been proved...

fungus_the_bogeyman
14-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Can't move Mee. He's developed into an excellent left-back and would make middle of the defence extremely unbalanced.

Not sure I understand the point in this one.

superglennylittle
14-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Seagulls fans not happy about missing out.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11411408._/

skiptonclaret
14-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Another Championship squad player, turns 29 next week. As I've said before I didn't expect millions to be spent, but maybe a few younger players as part of a long term plan ? Realisable assets, you know like Howe was successful in bringing in (in the main).

enola_gay
14-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Underwhelming, if there's anything in it.

Still, we're looking at quite a strong Championship squad for 2015/2016 at this rate.

claretspice
14-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Would be an odd one.

Would give us 4 players in the squad who can play left back, one of whom is well established as a first choice in Mee, one of whom we've only just committed to another 2 year contract.

Doesn't make a great deal of sense, but I'm sure there's a masterplan as along as it doesn't compromise the wage bill in the positions where we really do need cover.

jedi_master
14-08-2014, 09:11 PM
He is a decent player and can play all along the left hand side, not just left back. Has experience in the PL with Wolves and 24 international caps.

That said - a confusing signing for me. If we had let Lafferty go I would totally get this, but with him signing a 3 year deal, and Mee in total control of that position, it seems...kinda pointless? I can only assume he sees him as another utility player that can cover a few different positions.

garfunkal
14-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Decent signing this , can play midfield also , great left foot

purpleclaret
14-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Andy Naylor [!]8207;@AndyNaylorArgus 6m
Hyypia's press conference in the morning will be interesting. Gather he is furious - not with #bhafc but with Ward and his agent.

Claretdj
14-08-2014, 09:34 PM
It's all over the Brighton boards that we have hijacked the deal n that ward failed 2 show 4 the medical this aft & is on his way 2 turf. Should be all done by tomorrow (hopefully) Utc.

steddyman
14-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Good.

It's about time we hijacked somebody else's deal rather than the other way around.

AdamGBFC
14-08-2014, 09:57 PM
We can't sign any of our targets that would improve our first eleven so let's just waste some money on another squad player to make it look like we're doing something.

Strap on a pair Burnley, Christ. The money spent on the signing and his wages should could have been put towards the funding of Lansbury/Mcarther.

Bin_Ont_Turf
14-08-2014, 10:07 PM
There we have it.

It took up until the 16th post but we got there in the end.

feej72
14-08-2014, 10:09 PM
And last time round we signed Bikey!

Pieandapint
14-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Probably be shot down for this but if he's still showing his form of a few seasons ago, which judging by some of the comments from Brighton fans he is, he may well turn out to be a better option than Mee, at least in the short term.

Got a decent number of Fantasy Premier points a few years back, if I remember rightly! Could be a good cheap filler to boot!! :-)

minniemouth
14-08-2014, 10:16 PM
First team v reserves should be good games at Gawthorpe.

billyhamilton82
14-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Quality player.

The manager knows what he is doing.

Can play anywhere on the left side and even up front.

6'1" solid player just what is required and would slot in nicely at left back which adds fuel to the fire that we may play with three centre halves.

dsr
14-08-2014, 10:59 PM
Certainly provides us with options, at least.

The only fee I've heard mentioned is 100,000, but I've no reason to believe it's accurate. Anyone heard anything?

CnBtruntru
14-08-2014, 11:04 PM
One year left of his contract and was up for sale loan, so cannot be a big fee, decent squad player, Premier & International experience.

Akinbadbye_20
14-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Any chance this means Dyche is thinking of using 3 at the back with Mee left centre back and Ward left wing back at times??

Wouldnt be a bad system for us if we could get another midfielder in

CC_Claret
14-08-2014, 11:10 PM
Sweet, yeh, Stephen Ward, wow, great signing, trust in Dyche, UTC etc.

mickleover_claret
14-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Surely Ward would either be backup to Mee, which we don't need having just resigned Lafferty, or becoming first choice left-back allowing Mee to play centre-half, and I can't see how Mee and Shackell would work together being two left-sided centre-halves. Seems like strange business to me.

Akinbadbye- we already need at least one central midfielder to my mind so if we were going to play 3-5-2 we'd need at least two or three. Can't see us changing from 4-4-2.

yorksclaret
15-08-2014, 12:14 AM
Three goalkeepers. Three. The man's a plank. This season's gonna be a disaster.

Welcome to Burnley, Stephen.

ClaretMani
15-08-2014, 05:24 AM
Centre back is Mee's preferred position so this has mileage.
Risking the wrath of others here but still underwhelmed by our activity and I guess this deal is the final nail in the Dawson deal, who starts for West Brom tomorrow by the way.

big_ears_longside
15-08-2014, 05:40 AM
This board is crazy someone says they would not be happy with the signing ( post 16 ) and they get jumped on straight away. If you are happy with this signing fair do's, if you are not then you should be allowed to say so. I agree with post 16 we already have a left back and a back up left back. Other areas have priority over this one Imo.

CC_Claret
15-08-2014, 06:15 AM
They're just Burnley keenos, religious devotion to the club. Thus the cult-like 'Trust in Dyche' etc. It's a business not a football club lads - the club is we fans, the rest is all nonsense. Tickets are no longer tuppence ha'penny, they're a serious chunk of somebody's weekly wage. So get used to people being 'negative' about the club, because they're not a charity, but one of twenty teams fighting to maintain their place in the most lucrative league in England.

ralphpom
15-08-2014, 06:24 AM
I've seen him play for Ireland many times .. he isn't just a left back by any means .. if he signs he will be a good addition IMO.

blyclaret
15-08-2014, 06:25 AM
With the size if our squad is about versatility ... Ward is 29 loads of experience in premier league ... An international... Who can play in a number of positions...good signin imho...and more to come

mgill87
15-08-2014, 06:37 AM
"Centre back is Mee's preferred position so this has mileage."

I may be totally wrong but I thought I read not so long ago that he preferred playing left back having adapted to that position. Not sure if my memory is failing me...

Chasey
15-08-2014, 06:44 AM
Fee mentioned @ 500k in Brighton papers.

I would expect lafferty to go out on loan now similar to oneil.

Brighton fans really wanted him back as did well there.

Adds to the squad to reach the 25 and he is pretty versatile.

mgill87
15-08-2014, 07:13 AM
"I would expect lafferty to go out on loan now similar to oneil."

If he does go out on loan, it would be a strange move. He recently signed a contract extension and he's 25 years old - not exactly a youngster in need of experience.

Perhaps Dyche sees him as good enough to hold on to, though not good enough for the Prem. (ie a good squad player in the event of relegation).

billyhamilton82
15-08-2014, 07:15 AM
The more I look at it this it is a very good signing, in essence it is very similar to Steven Reid.

Reid is covering at right back and right midfield and Ward will do the same on the left.

Good solid pros with vast amounts of Prem experience who know what it takes to stay in this division.

The Premier League is is not a team game it is a SQUAD that keeps you up.If Marney or Jones get injured or suspended we now have like for like cover.

We all know we still need the creative spark in there so hopefully Lansbury won't be too far off.

sheffieldturfite
15-08-2014, 07:17 AM
We have about 20 players, and even Dyche doesn't know if more than 2 or 3 of them are capable of playing well in the PL. He doesn't want to get caught with his pants down as we enter September. Thus I don't think it's a case of saying "Mee to centre half" or anything like that.

stalbansclaret
15-08-2014, 07:18 AM
Thanks for that CC Claret...yep people who post on here are highly likely to be better squad managers than Sean Dyche your right.

claretspice
15-08-2014, 07:29 AM
"Thanks for that CC Claret...yep people who post on here are highly likely to be better squad managers than Sean Dyche your right."

No-one is suggesting there are, but there's something pretty purile in trying to reduce everything amnyone says which you dislike to the lowest possible level of intelligence.

We already have Taylor who can play left back, left midfield and cover the left sided central midfield berth. We've just re-signed Lafferty. Mee deserves his chance as first choice.

Its far from unreasonable for people to wonder aloud whether we're using up our budget in areas which seemed pretty well stocked, when there are other areas which are clearly bare at the edges.

If people aren't entitled to discuss that, then this messageboard isn't worth bothering with.

For what its worth, my guess is that this means that Taylor might be used in the centre of the park a good bit more than expected this season, as he was at West Ham to some acclaim last season. Ward might well end up

ClaretTony2014
15-08-2014, 07:31 AM
"I assume the 5 year reunion of the Wolves side which got promoted in 2009 will be held at the Turf, just to saving travel expenses?"

Iwelumo's gone

stalbansclaret
15-08-2014, 07:42 AM
OK spice your clearly on my case now and, as I enjoy your posts on here, I take heed of what you say. I think I've been guilty of using poor tone in reaction to a post from CC Claret which I'd charge with the same offence...in fact one that's typical of the almost anti-club type which are irritating me so much at the moment. Of course its legitimate, and interesting, to discuss whether this is a good signing or not but you, for instance, can do this without conveying the impression you relish griping about the club.

CC_Claret
15-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Who among us is privy to Sean Dyche's thoughts?

The guy could be eagerly awaiting a challenge or furious that he hasn't been given the funds he needs to build a premier league squad. Nobody knows. Clarets-MAD as opposed to ClaretsInformedOpinions.

skiptonclaret
15-08-2014, 07:54 AM
On reflection the signing of Ward is probably less mystifying than giving Lafferty a three year contract. I've seen nothing to suggest that Lafferty's up to even Championship football on a regular basis, I don't think he's good enough defensively. An occasional stand in, perhaps.
We're certainly going to reasonably well covered down the left hand side, whilst also singularly lacking any pace or creativity. I think you need a little more than workhorses to give you a chance of being competitive in the PL. Is Dyche prepared (or able) to sign this sort of player ? The next couple of weeks will tell.

the_quoon
15-08-2014, 07:55 AM
I have absolutely no idea who Stephen ward is.

feej72
15-08-2014, 08:16 AM
"This message board isn't worth bothering with"

Only caught that part of your post, well said that man.

In ClaretSpice we trust.

Bin_Ont_Turf
15-08-2014, 08:23 AM
'This board is crazy someone says they would not be happy with the signing ( post 16 ) and they get jumped on straight away'

If you think that post 16 says anything like that, then I would suggest that your ears are so big that they are covering your eyes.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
15-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Has anyone got a Brighton or Wolves season ticket holding friend who can give us the lowdown in him!?

sheffieldturfite
15-08-2014, 09:05 AM
"For what its worth, my guess is that this means that Taylor might be used in the centre of the park a good bit more than expected this season, as he was at West Ham to some acclaim last season. Ward might well end up slotting on on the left hand side of midfield, particularly if we're playing 4-4-2."

That is a possibility though I suspect that Mee, who was exposed a few times last season, may not be good enough week in and week out, so at times may need to be given a breather. I am very happy to give all our players a chance after what they did last season, but am just articulating what I suspect Dyche is thinking. None of us know of course.

big_ears_longside
15-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Bin ont turf he is more a less saying we are wasting more money on a squad player so to me that means he would not be happy with this signing

Pidgeon
15-08-2014, 09:10 AM
I just dont get this signing if true. Good player but .. we have two central midfielders and three central defenders on the books. Few of which have proved nothing in the PL. Come on board get it sorted ffs.

Jamb0MackemClaret
15-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Great signing. No better than what we have in three different positions. Just the guy we need.

As for moving Mee inside - really hope that's not being considered for even a second.

Getting Ward in if we'd let Lafferty go might make sense. As it is, I'm mystified.

thewellernut70
15-08-2014, 09:12 AM
From what I saw of Ward last season,admittedly on the TV,he was one person who caught the eye imo,he was one where I thought "so that's where he is now".The times I saw him he wasn't just consigned to positions down the left,but popped up all over the place and to my eye looked very much as though he could still cut it.Also how are we off for left wingers (no pun intended :D )

A decent addition imo

Also

"No-one is suggesting there are, but there's something pretty puerile in trying to reduce everything anyone says which you dislike to the lowest possible level of intelligence."

Spice for such a clued up poster you have only just picked up on this ;)

northwalesclaret
15-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Wolves mate lowdown.100% player McCarthy loved him.Went to Brighton on loan to get him off wage bill and was Player of the Season at Brighton.Started as a striker but ended up at left back and can play CB

sounds a great addition as cover for Mee missed handful of games with injury last year OR Mee or Ward could move to CB as cover for Duff/Shacks

IanMcL
15-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Ward adds to the overall resilience of the squad and perhaps flexibility.

"Who among us is privy to Sean Dyche's thoughts?"

Surely that is the wrong way around?

It is the miraculous one who would be privy to our thoughts. Just another of his powers!

DavetheVicar
15-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Not on bad money according to the Brighton Argus 13k a week

TRIBESMEN
15-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Goodness i have seen him a good few times playing for Ireland and to be very honest with you he has have more shockers than anything close to a good game .
He really is a worry when he gets the ball at his feet anything can happen .
I really hope i am proved wrong on Wardie .

morninbob
15-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Don't understand this signing if it happens, he's been available all summer so why go in for him now ?

mdd2
15-08-2014, 01:02 PM
The opposite of nil desperandum is starting to strike me

pictopirate
15-08-2014, 01:11 PM
My mates a big Ireland fan and he thinks he's awful... and they have had some right useless lumps playing for them...

I'll give him a chance if he signs but a weird one...

RogerBest
15-08-2014, 01:12 PM
If Dyche likes him he will do for me.

murger
15-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Bizarre signing. That will make 4 left backs at the club.

matty1294claret
15-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Can't get my head round this one at all.

permafrost
15-08-2014, 02:04 PM
'cant get my head round this one at all'
neither can i, but maybe thats why none of us have a snowball in hells
chance of being involved in football management.
no-one had a single idea why he signed Arfield.
bench warmer at huddersfield.

skiptonclaret
15-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Not sure of the relevance of Arfield ? This may equally turn out to be a dreadful signing, it may not. All managers make bad signings. Yes, potentially, even Sean Dyche.

merlin1
15-08-2014, 02:33 PM
I would say its quite clear why it's relevant.

daveisaclaret
15-08-2014, 03:33 PM
I hope we don't sign him

ColdPieWarmBeer
15-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Interesting one given what we already have, but I don't think Dyche would wilfully stockpile fullbacks on the budget he has. Can only assume that he sees more in him than just back up to Mee. Strikes me as more of an 'options' signing, which ain't too bad considering he's costing us practically nowt in transfer fees and the only like for like replacement for Mee is Lafferty.

Grezza type signing, perhaps?

harrowclaret
15-08-2014, 04:45 PM
"he's been available all summer so why go in for him now'?

The clock is ticking.

cockneyclaret
15-08-2014, 04:56 PM
We have no other options

longside4evr
15-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Can't understand this one talking to wolves fans in red white and blue pub today and they said we will be very welcome to have him always in and out of games without really putting his stamp on the game not a quick player either

dallasclaret
15-08-2014, 05:13 PM
glad to see we are having a real go at staying up

poultonclaret
15-08-2014, 05:43 PM
loving this post. it just wouldn't be claretsmad without all this bitching and vindictive in-fighting. love the way everyone is right and everyone who thinks differently is a moron. except for a common support for bfc i doubt most on here would be happy to be in the same room as most of the others. i guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but the spite is amazing. shouldn't we be saving the vitriol for someone else? strange, but it's entertaining in it's way. :D

BennyD
15-08-2014, 07:26 PM
Personally, I think it's pretty stupid. If we hadn't have got promoted we would have been forced to sell most of our best players just to balance the books as the parachute payments would have finished. It would then have been a long struggle to avoid the inevitable drop into league 1 where we would, probably, find our natural level with the support we have. At the moment we are immeasurably better off with a season of Premier league football ahead of us and a far stronger financial position. Yet all a lot on here can do is b!tch and mank as to why we haven't spent millions buying Championship players. Whatever happens next is a bonus; if we stay up we have more money to start to build a long-term Premier League team and if we get relegated we have a strong Championship team with which to try and get re-promoted. Either way it's a win win situation. It seems to me that this board is infested with whingers who, if they won 10m on the lottery would moan that someone last week won 12m.

feej72
15-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Benny - give your head a wobble.

BennyD
15-08-2014, 07:55 PM
I just have done, and I still feel the same way.

sebastian
15-08-2014, 07:58 PM
How's Miss Diane?

LancasterClaret
15-08-2014, 08:02 PM
He's signed

BennyD
15-08-2014, 08:08 PM
How's Miss Diane?

Dead. How's Brideshead?

1959_60
15-08-2014, 09:22 PM
This board is precisely the same as it was 12 months ago.

"Where are all the big signings"..."We let Pato, McCann et al go and replaced them with an Huddersfield bench warmer and Jones"..."Who will score the goals now Pato and Charlie have gone? Vokes is Div One at best and Ings has done nowt so far"..."Marney? Meh..." etc etc.

Could it just be that Sean know exactly what he is doing? Could it be that we have a much better team than we think? (again)

Our squad is very obviously committed and together and there is a real danger of a big time Charlie on higher than our average wage rocking the apple cart. If the squad loses its togetherness then we are in trouble - even with a couple ofs in the team.

So perhaps our targets put their wages before anything else - and Sean didn't want them in those circumstances. Lets leave that kind of thing to the QPR's and Leeds's of this world.

I am feeling that we will be the surprise team this year and that many posters on here will be eatin

KeighleyClaret
15-08-2014, 09:52 PM
I wonder whether the promotion to the Premier League has attracted more than our fair share of complete tossers to this message board?

Its like going to a big party and finding a group of people pi$$ing on the walls because the beer isn't quite cool enough.

For goodness sake we are playing Chelsea at home on Monday in the best league in the world, and have earned the right to be there. More important the manager who achieved the promotion is managing the preseason and did pretty well 12 months ago.

If you can't be positive about that then God help us.

cubanclaret
15-08-2014, 09:56 PM
A good signing of a versatile player with Premier League experience.

Dare I say we didn't have enough of these types under Coyle when we went up last time - see Guerrero, Edgar, Easton etc - Dyche has done well to bring in a bit of 'seen it done it' type players.

The reaction of Brighton supporters tells you all you need to know.

Welcome to the Turf Stephen.