PDA

View Full Version : Forest making last attempt to keep Lansbury?

BobLordsFridge
15-08-2014, 06:59 AM
According to the reliable John Percy of the Telegraph this morning, they're making him a further contract offer which will see his wage rise to 20k per week.

He's either going to do a Bryson or the lure of Prem football will lead him to reject this. If he does reject it, you can see him leaving before the transfer deadline.

buxtonclaret
15-08-2014, 07:06 AM
Seems to be the way to get a pay rise, these days.
At least he's not slated the Florists board for not sending him a birthday card. :)

ClaretTony2014
15-08-2014, 07:27 AM
"At least he's not slated the Florists board for not sending him a birthday card"

See what happens in October then :D

minniemouth
15-08-2014, 07:51 AM
According to the Mirror Forrest are after Nick Powell on loan.

Rick_Muller
15-08-2014, 08:25 AM
If they're actually doing that they can say goodbye to any team spirit they may have had. The rest of the team will be doing the same come the next transfer window. No single player can be greater than the sum of the parts - which is what SD understands and that is why he wont budge too much on upping the offers he's made, and we all need to realise that too.

Bin_Ont_Turf
15-08-2014, 08:29 AM
They signed Robert Tesche yesterday.

Whether that's relevant or not I don't know.

mdd2
15-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Bet he stays for 20k as doubt we would pay that as 25 players on that would be over 30million with employment costs.
We shall see.

cockneyclaret
15-08-2014, 08:37 AM
How can forest afford 20k pw?

thewellernut70
15-08-2014, 08:40 AM
"If they're actually doing that they can say goodbye to any team spirit they may have had

Who's to say Forest don't already have players on that level of pay and Lansbury will merely be joining the higher paid players

The Bedlington Terrier
15-08-2014, 09:26 AM
My mate Jeff who is a mad Forest fan claims that Lansbury has just signed a one year extension!

TuftyBeamish
15-08-2014, 09:33 AM
If, and I repeat for emphasis, if another Championship player has used us as a lever for getting a raise and/or contract extension at his current Club, then we will have officially become a laughing stock.

cockneyclaret
15-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Dawson's just got a 10k pw rise ;D

mickleover_claret
15-08-2014, 10:18 AM
We can kiss goodbye if that's the case, not a snowball's chance in hell we'll be paying 20k a week.

evensteadiereddie
15-08-2014, 10:37 AM
I don't understand how a Championship player almost blackmailing his club into paying him a Premiership wage makes us a laughing stock, tbh.
If Bryson and Lansbury are more interested in money than wanting a better standard of football then that's up to them.
If we have to, let's scrap it out until January and see who fancies it then.
**** 'em.

TuftyBeamish
15-08-2014, 10:44 AM
What would make us a laughing stock is the fact that, even with a promotion to the Money-Bags League we still can't compete with the 'big hitters' of the Championship.
I understand that we won't be 'betting the ranch' and I'm fine with that; however it doesn't half look like we are trying to 'do the Prem' on the cheap. Again.

billyhamilton82
15-08-2014, 10:46 AM
"I don't understand how a Championship player almost blackmailing his club into paying him a Premiership wage makes us a laughing stock, tbh.
If Bryson and Lansbury are more interested in money than wanting a better standard of football then that's up to them.
If we have to, let's scrap it out until January and see who fancies it then.
**** 'em."

Well said that man.

IMO there will be at least a couple of midfielders in the Championship who will live to regret their decision to chase the money.

braindead
15-08-2014, 10:54 AM
If any potential players are more motivated by a couple of extra thousand pounds a week than the opportunity of playing in the Premier League then to be honest they can stay where they are.

TuftyBeamish
15-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Whatever they say, they are all motivated by money. To believe anything else is naive at best.

evensteadiereddie
15-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Not all of them, not completely.

arise_sir_charge
15-08-2014, 11:53 AM
If we aren't prepared to pay wages of 20k per week then we are unlikely to attract many players that are fit for purpose.

morninbob
15-08-2014, 12:37 PM
File under Bryson, while were at it is there anymore championship players who want to use us to get a pay rise ?

Maybe its part of the masterplan for when we get relegated back to the championship, all our rivals will come a cropper due to FFP spending on wages and we can "have our pick" of players that clubs can no longer afford.

Notrigsbyscat
15-08-2014, 12:49 PM
we're the antonym of Citeh/Chelski. We don't buy players to stop others having them, we drive the wage bill up to level the playing field when we next meet on it

spudly
15-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Tufty, I know quite a lot of pro footballers personally, also a couple who are still playing and most of them have signed contracts offering less money than others available. There are a variety of reasons for this including things like uprooting family towards the end of their careers etc but to say that they are all totally motivated by money is just wrong. One ex footballer I know accepted a 25% pay cut to play for his boyhood club.

Darthlaw
15-08-2014, 01:30 PM
'What would make us a laughing stock is the fact that, even with a promotion to the Money-Bags League we still can't compete with the 'big hitters' of the Championship.'

As frustrating as this is, we all knew it was coming once FFP came into play.

Football in the UK has now been set up so that the largest clubs with the biggest catchment areas will rise to the top. No matter which way you look at it Burnley arent in that bracket.

Crystal Palace are currently in the same position, wanting to do the right thing and ensure financial prudence and its just cost them their manager.

You have three options in English football now.

1. Get an owner with megabucks willing to finance your massive losses - See Chelski or Mercenary City. QPR to a degree too.
2. Be a good financial ongoing concern and hope your support sees you secure in the top flight - See Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Southampton, etc.
3. Sh1t or bust. Throw money at it and hope you don't run out before you get to the

ClaretMani
15-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Lansbury staying with Forest. New improved deal to be signed Monday.
Another one bites the dust.

northeastclaret
15-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Its OK we don't need him now we have signed Stephen Ward.

He don't play for yo
15-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Is it that hard to believe that someone might want to earn 100k more a year?

I would go bin dipping for half eaten bananas to be paid 100k so I imagine the difference in satisfaction between playing in the Championship or Premier League is pretty negligible to be honest.

Quattro
15-08-2014, 09:52 PM
I have been in a job for a while, but I have just had a secondment within the organisation. My current job pays about 1500 a year more than the seconded post, but if the seconded post come up as a permanent job, I'd gladly take the pay cut to do that job because I found it more interesting and personally satisfying. Plus, that is not even having to factor in anything like travelling or uprooting family.

He don't play for yo
15-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Quattro, I understand what you are saying and in part I agree with you, even though your example is 30 a week difference rather than 2,000.

But as you say, the difference in job satisfaction can surpass money any day. But looking at it objectively is kicking a ball about in front of 25k fans in the Championship any different than kicking a ball about in front of 20k fans in the Premier League? If there is a difference I would wager it is probably not 100k difference

Claretissimo
15-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Is it definite Lansbury is staying at Forest as there was a lot of speculation that he wanted out because he wanted Premier League opportunity. I can't see him getting that by staying at Forest. I know the Championship is very competitive and a lot of strange results take place so anything can happen but I wouldn't put my money on Forest getting promotion this season.

dsr
15-08-2014, 10:39 PM
You'd be wrong, Yo. Playing in the Premier League is better than playing in the Championship; playing in the Champions League is better still. A great number of players want to play in as high a league as possible.

What you're forgetting is that a footballer isn't just kicking the ball about on his own or just with his own team. There are opponents on the pitch as well. Now some players (not necessarily all of them, but a significant majority) rather like the idea of playing on the same pitch as the top internationals and seeing how they can do against them; they also rather like the idea of playing at Old Trafford, Emirates, Etihad, St. James', etc. All of which grounds hold more than 25k, incidentally.

Rowls
15-08-2014, 10:44 PM
25,000 is the magic number.

It's the reported offer per week from Notts Forest.

It's an amount that is half the capacity of the biggest grounds in the Premier League.

It's also the 5000 leagues further under the sea that Captain Nemo sailed his submarine.

Talking of leagues, whether we sign Lansbury or not we'll be one above Notts Forest for the entire season.

UTC

He don't play for yo
15-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Well then I must be in the Lansbury/Bryson mould.

If someone offered to pay me 2mil a year to play for Bank Hall Miners or 1mil a year to play for (insert your own team here), I would be quite happy to wash myself in the canal.

Money talks. For everyone. As we have seen with retainer gate...

bodge
15-08-2014, 10:58 PM
The Bryson mould is very much in the minority, Lansbury hasn't decided what he's doing yet.

Most would always plump for playing in "the best league in the world".

In terms of marketing yourself it's the place to be, with a massive pay off if you hack it at that level.

mkmel
15-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Can't see anything on Nottm Forest forums about Lansbury staying there in fact only the exact opposite that he still wants to leave.

See link post #599 - view external link (http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41755&page=24)

skiptonclaret
15-08-2014, 11:03 PM
I think we need to afford Lansbury at least the time to make a decision, If the ball his indeed in his court.
Lets not tarnish him with the same brush as Bryson. Well, at least not until Monday.

CnBtruntru
15-08-2014, 11:03 PM
25,000 is the magic number, does he also get that when he is out sick 65% of the season, file under Bryson 2 if that is the case. Take the 1.3 million a year, or would you uproot and come to the most hip hop happening Town in the North West for maybe Half that, no I would not either :D

BennyD
15-08-2014, 11:08 PM
If a professional footballer would rather stay in the Championship than play in the Premier league then he is, IMO, an idle slacker/wage thief and probably not worth signing as he hasn't the ambition, or necessary grit, required. He will, of course, regret it in later years when he tells his kids and grandkids that he preferred the second tier to the top tier no matter how many millions he has in the bank. Putting yourself up against some of the best players in the world also puts you in the shop window for world class clubs, not in the shadows of the second tier. So, IMO, if he doesn't want to come, he's not worth having. Move on.

mkmel
15-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Where is the link to him signing a new contract at Forest on Monday?

minniemouth
16-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Not playing today according to SSN. Intriguing?

skiptonclaret
16-08-2014, 10:12 AM
He's injured. Not expected to be back for a least another week.

skiptonclaret
18-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Nottingham Post reporting this morning that Pearce expects him to sign a new contract this week.

pearcey
18-08-2014, 09:56 AM
This had the Bryson saga written all over it. It's not over till the fat lady sings though.