PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Ward signs ...

itsmick
15-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Breaking news - see link - view external link (http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/stephen_ward_joins_the_clarets_838442/index.shtml)

what_no_pies
15-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Good news.

CnBtruntru
15-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Chris Boden [!]8207;@bodenknights 2m

As tweeted last night, Burnley have beaten Brighton to signature of Wolves left back Stephen Ward, signed 3-year deal.

skiptonclaret
15-08-2014, 08:08 PM
29, 3 yr contract. Renowned for being slow. Rejoice.

paulnightingale
15-08-2014, 08:10 PM
a very strange signing , we already have mee , lafferty.why another left back , surely money better spent getting lansbury/dawson sagas over the line

purpleclaret
15-08-2014, 08:12 PM
F*** you Skipton CLaret

A warm welcome Stephen welcome to Burnley. Enjoy

ralphpom
15-08-2014, 08:12 PM
he isn't just a left back

what_no_pies
15-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Clearly he gives us more depth on the left and at the back. A useful addition and more experience added to the group.

Signing Ward has little relevance to the other deals.

Bin_Ont_Turf
'he isn't just a left back'

He makes a good cup of tea as well. B)

enola_gay
Whoop-de-doo...

warksclaret
15-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Either SD is struggling to get a CB and feels Ben Mee is a good option alongside Shacks

OR he is cover for left side midfield,with a naturally left footed player who can attack and defend and fit in with the work ethic

mgill87
15-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Strange signing, in my opinion. I don't mean that in terms of the player's ability but more because of position - there seems to be more pressing concerns in other areas of the pitch.

Regardless, it must be part of the master plan! Welcome to Burnley FC Stephen :)

Edit - Also, I think some of the serial complainers will feel much better once we've got a couple more bodies in (particularly central defence and central midfield). After that, this signing will suddenly look a lot better as it's great to have competition across the pitch.

bleedingClaret
15-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Scott Arfield, on a free transfer, Huddersfield don't even want him, that's ridiculous, he'll be rubbish...

Welcome Stephen

Sorry about the know it all tossers mate.

UTC

daveisaclaret
15-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Another nothing signing, not as good as Ben Mee, not as good as Matt Taylor.

Said earlier in the summer all our squad signings would look good if we could make first team signings to go with them, probably reached a point now where that isn't really true.

ralphpom
15-08-2014, 08:20 PM
he may well make a good cup of tea BOT .. who knows ? I'll let you know in due course.

fatboy47
15-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Hmmm...put the marquee on hold...more of a festival tent signing...need to wait and see I suppose.

Bin_Ont_Turf
15-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Thanks Ralphpom.

You can tell a lot about a man from how he makes a cup of tea.

earbyclaret
15-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Agree that this has little or no bearing on the the other outstanding deals - either financially or otherwise. This has similarities to the Taylor and Reid signings in terms of PL experience and an ability to play in more than one position - they seem to have been completed relatively easily too.

I don't think it's a question of diverting funds away from other deals. It would appear that we could pay what West Brom are asking for Dawson - but we're choosing not to at present. Lansbury - mixed messages coming out of Forest. Some reports suggesting the owner has accepted our offer but it's Pearce who wants a higher fee.

bleedingClaret
15-08-2014, 08:24 PM
They are not very well informed Ralph.

Very Judgmental to say the least

yorkyclaret
15-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Wonder if Lafferty will be available on loan?

purpleclaret
15-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Why do posters on here undermine the judgement of our manager when it comes to signings.

Transfer window doesn't close until 1st September. We will have a marquee signing before then.Stop fretting.

In Dyche we trust

bleedingClaret
15-08-2014, 08:29 PM
"Pretty sure Dyche could sign Jimmy Saville as youth team coach and Scott Arfield would be used to justify it."

Oh sorry the Scotty Arfield thing again!

OK David Jones, Tom Heaton, Michael Kightly and Ashley Barnes in as cover with ***** goals, that do ya 4 now as a guide to Mr Dyches Judgement?

UTC

murger
15-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Another signing that gets the juices flowing...

skiptonclaret
15-08-2014, 08:31 PM
The oldest, most expensive Championship squad for 2015/16 takes shape. I look forward to the day Dyche signs a player under 23...
Stil waiting...

what_no_pies
15-08-2014, 08:34 PM
It is looking as though Mee could become our pick for centre half as opposed to paying over the odds for a slightly older model, which i'd be more than pleased about.

He's got his head screwed on (head injury in every game and it's never fallen off yet) has earned a chance in his favoured position.

bobcloth1
15-08-2014, 08:35 PM
I don't know much about him. From those who know more about him, what position is he most likely to play?

I've heard full back, midfield and forward?

taio
15-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Skiptonclaret, is there really any need to be so negative?

enola_gay
15-08-2014, 08:37 PM
A 'UTC', an 'In Dyche We Trust' and a 'Scott Arfield'.

Just need a 'Cardiff spent 36m' for all four corners.

ralphpom
15-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Skipton's mate fast Eddie can pick a wide man though

Porter..McQuoid...Stanislas...Hines ... epic

not forgetting the fella he was expressly told NOT to sign ..

dougcollins
15-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Is Ward the guy who looks like an unsuccessful boxer?

HollandsPies
15-08-2014, 08:46 PM
I see all the whingers crawling out of the woodwork for this one.

How many of us have seen this guy play over a period of time? Not many if any.
Why can't the moaners just let Dyche get on with it?

Roll on Monday night.

Quattro
15-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Please, please, please give the lad the opportunity to prove himself - if he plays a few and makes mistake after mistake, then question it, but not now before the ink on his contract is even dry, let alone a ball being kicked!

Just remember, we are Burnley, and in Sean Dyche we trust - he is the man who achieved the unthinkable last season, and in that time, he got everyone buying into his "one game at a time" ethos and we all believed, so why can't we show a little faith in his dealings and believe that we can achieve the unthinkable again this season and avoid relegation.

Please show a little positivity.

BennyD
15-08-2014, 08:50 PM
A voice of reason and good sense. However, I fear you are banging your head against a stone wall with this lot.

northeastclaret
Shrewd signing.

Mee to move to centre half therefore no need for Dawson.

Taylor to move to centre midfield with Ward replacing him on the wing when Kightly not fit, therefore no need for Landsbury or McArthur.

Job done.

claret78
I'll take it back if needs be but I think it's pretty obvious Dyche is bricking it and we'll go into September with Duff and Shackell with potential back up in Mee and Long.

Not good enough from the powers that be in my opinion.

ClaretMoffitt
15-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Here here,

People on here really don't realise the impact this messageboard can have on fans, the moods of this messageboard really do influence those of the wider groups of fans.

Positivity on here will breed positivity elsewhere.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
15-08-2014, 08:57 PM
' I think it's pretty obvious Dyche is bricking it'????????

Go on then tell us how it is so obvious?

Jesus you read some utter ****e on this board. You can almost sense some posters hoping we get tonked in first few games to give them more reason to moan.

Bin_Ont_Turf
15-08-2014, 09:00 PM
'it's pretty obvious Dyche is bricking it'

Now you mention it, he does come across as a man who'd be 'bricking' it.

HollandsPies
15-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Please read this claret78. He's been saying this for weeks...

'Dyche is bricking it' ... oh Lordy! - view external link (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11708/9423112/burnley-boss-sean-dyche-is-still-searching-for-new-players)

claret78
15-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Because he's going for left back back up so he can use Mee as cover in the middle. IMO he's worried he's got no centre backs coming in.

I'm not saying it's a bad move. Mee is a natural centre back. I just would of preferred to have bought someone in in that position for a fee. And I think Dyche would have too.

If that's **** then fine. But I think it's a good move by Dyche given the circumstances.

ewanrob
15-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Absolutely give up on some of you lot, can we not just enjoy the moment

ChristheViking
15-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Unimpressed. I'd rather us just be getting interest on the money than spending (I'm tempted to put wasting) it like this.

Not going to be 1st choice left back and if the idea all along was to move Mee to centre-half then why they hell have we been on the goose chase with Dawson.

It's not a panic buy which I was fearing. It is a squad addition but we're going into the season with Duff going to start - and that was never really what I wanted to see.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
15-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Have I missed Dyche's interview where he said the signing of Ward automatically means Mee will be moving to centre half?

daveisaclaret
15-08-2014, 09:12 PM
People seem to be ignoring that Mike Duff is a better centre back than Ben Mee.

The team would be getting worse if we played Ward instead of Duff. Crazy talk imo.

claret78
15-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Well if he isn't are you saying were going to go into the new season with Kevin Long and all his handful of Championship games experience as the only centre half back up or do you believe we'll sign someone else in the next two weeks?

dsr
Clearly a lot of you were very happy with Lafferty as reserve left back and Wallace as reserve wide midfielder, but I wasn't. This man can cover both, which IMO has to be a good thing. And if he turns out to be better than Mee or Taylor, so be it.

corkcityclaret59
Guaranteed to give his all,can see him becoming a clarets favourite

Goody1975
15-08-2014, 09:14 PM
No, Lafferty like O'Neill was offered a new contract to see if he can fulfill his potential, Dyche believes they both can but it doesn't mean they will be regulars this season.

Ward has come in as solid competition for Mee, Kightly etc, he has played nearly 100 games in the Premier League for Wolves and will add to the squad, he is versatile and an excellent signing imo.

Does this mean i'm happy about not signing a centre half and central midfielder of the quality we all crave? No but there is no correlation between this signing and the possibility of those additions happening.

LancasterClaret
15-08-2014, 09:15 PM
I'd much rather people moaned on here rather than at the turf to be honest.

I don't know anything about him other than he apparently makes a good cup of tea.

And I only drink coffee.

daveisaclaret
15-08-2014, 09:17 PM
dsr - surely Kightly was (and probably still is since he's better than Ward) the reserve wide midfielder

Bin_Ont_Turf
15-08-2014, 09:18 PM
'And I only drink coffee'

I used to like you Lancaster.

mybloodisclaret
15-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Welcome on board from me Mr Ward, wish you all the best on your Clarets career, it should be one he'll of a ride this season. Ignore half of the clowns on here they were expecting Paulo Maldini in his prime. The majority of us will support you and the lads! UTC

LancasterClaret
15-08-2014, 09:20 PM
When the revolution comes BOT, tea drinkers will be first against the wall.

Anyway, just nipped on a Brighton forum and so this.

"He'll be a useful squad member for them, to cover left back and left midfield.

The revisionists now pretending that he was rubbish, or that they didn't want him anyway, are embarrassing themselves."

claretspice
15-08-2014, 09:22 PM
A surprise, I'll reserve judgment until I've seen where he fits into the masterplan, but I can't say its particularly obvious.

I can't see Mee moving to centre back because (a) Duff is a better centre back than Mee; and (b) Shackell and Mee are both left sided. I would expect Mee to be first choice left back because he deserves to be after last season. He can play left midfield and has done it a bit, but then what we really lack there is a creative replacement for Stanislas and Treacy, not another in-yer-face scrapper.

I'm sure Dyche has a plan and I'm more than happy to give it the benefit of the doubt, but to be perfectly honest I'm short of being convinced about this, although it has to be said he's played close to 100 premier league games, which probably makes him second to Taylor in terms of pedigree at this level.

skiptonclaret
15-08-2014, 09:23 PM
So Ward can challenge Wallace for the creative wide berth ? Our cup runneth over.

dsr
15-08-2014, 09:24 PM
daveisa - I'm working on the basis that wide men are interchangeable, there's no restriction to one wing or another. Hence first choice wide men appear to be Arfield and Taylor, so reserve wide men will be Kightly and Ward.

And for Skipton, I doubt Ward will 'challenge' Wallace for a wide berth. From what I've heard about him, he is a very substantial upgrade on Wallace.

Chuckypad
15-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Another good signing for me. I'm confident our starting eleven from last season can keep us up and IMO the lads we've brought in strengthen the squad and offer experienced back up.

UTC

garfunkal
15-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Quality signing this , versatile , with a great left foot

clareturion
15-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Agree with garfunkal a versatile utility player that can fill in at the back or play as forceful midfielder. Happy with this business.

dallasclaret
15-08-2014, 09:37 PM
whilst it's not the most inspiring signing I'd rather give Ward a go with all his experience than a 20 year old with potential. Dyche knows exactly what he'll get from Ward and I think it's fair to say that all the players have improved under Dyche (other than Keeeeeeef)

1959_60
15-08-2014, 09:41 PM
This board is precisely the same as it was 12 months ago.

"Where are all the big signings"..."We let Pato, McCann et al go and replaced them with an Huddersfield bench warmer and Jones"..."Who will score the goals now Pato and Charlie have gone? Vokes is Div One at best and Ings has done nowt so far"..."Marney? Meh..." etc etc.

Could it just be that Sean know exactly what he is doing? Could it be that we have a much better team than we think? (again)

Our squad is very obviously committed and together and there is a real danger of a big time Charlie on higher than our average wage rocking the apple cart. If the squad loses its togetherness then we are in trouble - even with a couple ofs in the team.

So perhaps our targets put their wages before anything else - and Sean didn't want them in those circumstances. Lets leave that kind of thing to the QPR's and Leeds's of this world.

I am feeling that we will be the surprise team this year and that many posters on here will be eatin

Toby1
15-08-2014, 09:47 PM
"Why do posters on here undermine the judgement of our manager when it comes to signings.

Transfer window doesn't close until 1st September. We will have a marquee signing before then.Stop fretting.

In Dyche we trust"

C&P from another post further back just about sums my feelings up on this one.

Claretissimo
15-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Although we still need further players for competition for places and would hope they are of a higher quality I welcome this signing.

Although not immediately setting the pulses alight he is a solid player with good experience, can cover different positions and does possess a good left foot. He does offer something for us so it is a signing to be pleased with. We just need more quality players to come in.

NJclaret
15-08-2014, 09:53 PM
We signed a player and a player that has 3 seasons of premier league experience. I think it's a good signing.

Trippier, Shackell, Mee, Ward

That will be our back four for this season. I would like to see a midfielder added now.

UTC

Goody1975
15-08-2014, 09:55 PM
"Trippier, Shackell, Mee, Ward"

"That will be our back four for this season. I would like to see a midfielder added now."

Very much doubt that.

MDWat
15-08-2014, 09:57 PM
That will not be our back four this season.

cubanclaret
15-08-2014, 10:06 PM
"Ignore half of the clowns on here they were expecting Paulo Maldini in his prime. The majority of us will support you and the lads! UTC"

Paulo Maldini played until he was 41 in Serie A.

Mike Duff could play until he's 41 in the Premier League. Yet some on here seem to think he should be dropped. Leads me to wonder whether these posters actually watched Burnley - and the majestic Duff - very much last season.

mybloodisclaret
15-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Bizarre post cc can't work out where you are going, I think the key word was prime. I think Duff is tremendous also.

ClaitonClaret
15-08-2014, 10:20 PM
I don't want a marquee signing. The ones we have had have been on their last legs. Who are you expecting to turn up? :?

Cirrus_Minor
15-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Good signing. A proven defender and will be a good addition to our squad.

Welcome to Burnley Stephen.

Walton
15-08-2014, 10:25 PM
How big a part did Ward play in the Wolves side which failed to win 65 games from 84 over 2 seasons?

bodge
15-08-2014, 10:26 PM
I seem to remember skiptonclaret and everclaret giving Dyche the bum's rush all last Summer.

It was a real surprise to see very few if any posts from skiptonclaret until this Summer.

You can only presume he had a major computer issue to deal with throughout last season.

It was good to see everclaret on here in January to say he was wrong, fair do's.

This board is all about a variety of opinions though after all.

mgill87
15-08-2014, 10:27 PM
"whilst it's not the most inspiring signing I'd rather give Ward a go with all his experience than a 20 year old with potential."

It's an interesting point. Last time we made it to the top flight it was clear that we lacked the experience and know-how. We've certainly got a lot more top flight experience in the squad this time around, as well as a few younger players in Mee, Trippier and Ings etc. It's all about balance.

Walton
15-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Just checked. He started 75 league games over those 2 straight relegation seasons. He sure knows how to lose football games.

mgill87
15-08-2014, 10:31 PM
"He sure knows how to lose football games."

Are you fishing?

Bin_Ont_Turf
15-08-2014, 10:34 PM
'He sure knows how to lose football games'

Oh my giddy Aunt!

ColdPieWarmBeer
15-08-2014, 10:37 PM
It's a bit rotten that a new signing is being used as a punch bag for venting frustration at what fundamentally boils down to, what looks like at the moment, the board attempting their best impression of Karl Oyston. The bloke deserves a chance, doesn't he?

jdrobbo
15-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Mick McCarthy was a huge fan of Steven Ward's team play and work ethic. I think he'll fit in a lot better than many seem to think.

claretcanada
15-08-2014, 10:55 PM
I have complete faith in Sean Dyche, he has been thwarted when he has tried to buy some players but I believe that if he thinks Ward will help, in any capacity, then he will help.
I am confident that our TEAM will be the surprise team of the year AGAIN
UTC

CnBtruntru
15-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Seem to remember we played BHA twice last year and we beat them on neither occasion, he can't be all that bad, can he, EH,Eh,Eh :D

mkmel
15-08-2014, 11:11 PM
I think he'll be an excellent signing but please,please can we now sign a centre back and the two central midfielders that we're crying out for.

bleedingClaret
15-08-2014, 11:17 PM
"Mick McCarthy was a huge fan of Steven Ward's team play and work ethic. I think he'll fit in a lot better than many seem to think."

It doesn't seem to have dawned on some that it is players with a certain mindset that SD is signing. summed up by Matt Taylor being asked where would you positionally prefer to play? He replied I'd play in the nets to get a game, he wasn't joking.

UTC

RhodesyClaret
15-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Brilliant versatile signing with excellent experience...

Need anybody say more!? Well I suppose there's those that think Ronaldo or Messi will be turning up before we play the mighty Chelsea!

Some people can't see further than "we've got 60m...splash it out on 3 players all on 5-year contracts", just like the rest of the PL! Halfwits...think before you speak!

bleedingClaret
15-08-2014, 11:22 PM
"I think he'll be an excellent signing but please,please can we now sign a centre back and the two central midfielders that we're crying out for"

We've got Deano to hunt em down and Jonesy to disect them with his passes, are you after a couple of gardeners to mow the lawn?

UTC

barracuda
15-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Mee can make the natural transition to CB now if needed

Good signing and welcome Stephen Ward. He fits our team profile for sure... that is a massive element in our success under Dyche

There are some donks on here

ColdPieWarmBeer
15-08-2014, 11:45 PM
I seem to be part of a small minority, here, but I can't for the life of me see this as meaning Mee to CH. Remains to be seen, of course, but I can't see us abandoning the back four from last season in a hurry based on it's success. We need a deep sitting CM if we're playing three at the back, which we don't have, (short of Reid or Ward adapting to the Grezza role), but even then I can't see any reason to drop the aggressive 442 we've used all pre-season and last year.

Sticking Mee at left sided CH in a four would mean playing Shacks out of position as a right sided CH to accommodate a guy (Mee) who is otherwise a rock at LB, so that seems a bit pointless. Sticking Mee at right sided CH would mean playing him on a side of the pitch he's barely wandered into, not to mention would mean bombing Duff out of the team. Also, your right side of defence in Tripps and Mee, aside from being complete novices at PL level, would be hammered by long balls all day long.

At the very least, Ward seem

Pieandapint
15-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Happy with this but now puzzled even more by the Lafferty deal, there must surely be a loan lined up but then why give him a three year deal? Starting to hit an age where he's not going to improve enough for where we will likely be (top 2 divisions) over the course of his new contract.

As for Mee moving to CB, that would be some switch from targeting someone like Dawson to deciding that Mee is the answer, he probably has a better chance at being regular CB choice for us than Long, but not this season!

2 X CB, 2 X CM, 1 X Winger and 1 X Striker now please. Or at least just bloody one of them!!!!

fidelcastro
15-08-2014, 11:54 PM
I'm not really basing this on anything substantial, but I just get the feeling that if he plays, either as a starter or a late sub, then it will be out wide, and not at LB (barring injury to Mee, of course).

ColdPieWarmBeer
15-08-2014, 11:58 PM
The versatility throughout the squad means we'll probably always be able to chuck out a team that is able to play the system that Sean want; something that we didn't have at times last season when hit with injuries and suspensions. We'll certainly be competitive, we won't roll over and we won't leak goals, but two or three obvious quality signings in the obvious positions and I feel we can genuinely start to think about taking a few scalps. Accepting that the advantages of a pre-season has gone now for anyone we bring in before the window, signings like Ward and Reid will look mighty shrewd if the board make sure that Sean gets his main big-money targets.

mkmel
16-08-2014, 12:59 AM
"2 X CB, 2 X CM, 1 X Winger and 1 X Striker now please".

Pieandapint,that's what I would ideally like us to get with 3 or 4 of our players going out on loan say O'Neill,Lafferty and Long but I think we're going to be disappointed.

Rileybobs
16-08-2014, 01:13 AM
'...there is no correlation between this signing and the possibility of those additions happening'

Hold on, so you mean that signing Stephen Ward and signing a centre half or midfielder aren't mutually exclusive????

In the same way that Gilks has provided excellent back up between the sticks, Ward now adds very experienced competition to the left back position. Can anybody genuinely say that Lafferty is a better player?

This isn't a signing to whet the appetite but we have strengthened the squad and will no doubt add to the defence and midfield before the end of the month. I honestly don't know what all the drama is about.

Pidgeon
16-08-2014, 04:31 AM
Yes this chap is versatile but not enough to cover the positions we are looking for. We have 3 central defenders competing for 2 positions and 2 central midfielders competing for 2 positions. Plenty of options almost every other position. The usual happy clappers would be clapping away regardless of who we brought in. :D

Alp12Mac
16-08-2014, 06:07 AM
Utility signing with International and Premier League experience.

Probably not rated though on Football Manager or whatever other source some people seem to use as a benchmark.

We could sign 23 players who have won either the Champions League or World Cup and someone on here would still find something to bitch about.

merlin1
16-08-2014, 06:10 AM
I struggle to see who there is out there that we can sign? I'm happy with the Ward signing.

crossflattsclaret
16-08-2014, 07:29 AM
good signing, lafferty needs to go out on loan and play games at a decent level (championship or top end league one) for the first six months of the season. I hear Brighton are on the lookout for a left back!!

CnBtruntru
16-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Welcome and good luck, you will need with some of the fans on here :blue:

100PERCENTCLARET
16-08-2014, 08:20 AM
I don't buy into the theory that SD is thinking of playing Mee at CB. He wasnt good enough at CB three seasons ago and still isn't good enough now, especially in the toughest league in the world. Playing at LB for 3 seasons will not have improved Ben Mee as a CB.

It's obvious SD rates Lafferty otherwise he wouldn't have given him a new deal. Whether he's good enough for back up to Mee at this moment in time is a different kettle of fish. SD obviously thinks it's too much of a gamble so brings Ward in for a nominal fee, sensible wages and ticks another box. Good signing.

Should imagine Lafferty will be available for loan now.

The Bedlington Terrier
16-08-2014, 08:25 AM
For the love of God, it's called squad strenthening..! Welcome Wardy!

skiptonclaret
16-08-2014, 08:26 AM
If Lafferty, at 25, is not deemed good enough to be a back up for Mee , then why did we give him a three year contract ? As I said, I find this more perplexing than the signing of Ward.
I'm mot sure how old some Burnley fans think Lafferty is ? He's not some precocious talent waiting to be "developed".

spunkybackpack21
16-08-2014, 08:28 AM
More money frittered away on average. It's like we're preparing for the Championship now. I don't even see the logic of this one.

First match is two days away and our first XI is arguably weaker.

RogerEliHatTrick
16-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Agree with post 97. Mee is a far far better left back than centre back. He is certainly not a good enough centre back for the Premier League. I think Ward will be used further forward and as cover for left back. Maybe Taylor could be moved to the middle on occasions depending on who we do or don't sign. Certainly don't think Lafferty is PL quality yet.

ecc
16-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Bloody hell. It's bad enough putting up with the whole of the UK saying we'll finish 20th for sure. And now we're getting more and more Burnley fans slagging off the club and its manager. "He's panicking". LOL! Damn right, he is. He'll be that nerve-wracked I bet he won't turn up at TM on Monday evening because he's bricking it.

Whatever, I believe in Sean Dyche and I believe in this squad. We may well go down but I know for sure the lads will battle all the way.

UTC

ArmchairDetective
16-08-2014, 08:59 AM
The more I think about this signing the better I
think it is...

UTC

100PERCENTCLARET
16-08-2014, 09:33 AM
"If Lafferty, at 25, is not deemed good enough to be a back up for Mee , then why did we give him a three year contract ? "

As I previously said, because Dyche rates him. Ward can also play left midfield so it's not as if we're lumbered with 3 left backs for the next years.

Jamb0MackemClaret
16-08-2014, 09:59 AM
But Taylor can play LB too. We're positively overflowing with LBs now. Ward would have made sense if we'd let Lafferty go. Not sure it does now, looks a bit like a signing for the sake of one. How many games will he start? How many games will Reid/Ward/Sordell start between them?

claret78
16-08-2014, 10:03 AM
ECC fair enough that's your opinion but mine is that Dyche will "be concerned" (is that rephrased better for you) that we are entering the season with three centre backs. One of whom has only played 20 games at Championship level or above in the 5 years he's been with us and the other is 37 years old and can be injury prone.

All I was saying was to me it looks like Dyche is covering all bases and Ward became available at the right prices that if needs must he can shift Mee across and not lose out any experience on the crucial left hand side.

What a change from last season when I was labelled a happy clapper on here for saying we would do well as long as Ings showed his potential. And now I'm lol'ed for stating the bleeding obvious that it's a poor do if we can't buy a single player in the most needy position.

Dyche said he was eyeing up potential players for the Premier League in early April. Last time we were told that our promotion "caught us by surprise" and that's why we sign

mgill87
16-08-2014, 10:12 AM
"First match is two days away and our first XI is arguably weaker."

Can you explain this please? (Unless you're fishing and I've been reeled in!)

Claret_Russ
16-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Decent signing, for me. Experienced at this level, versatile, and certainly improves the squad. It's not just about whether he'll march straight into the first team, it's about whether he'll have a part to play over the season and I'm sure he will. It's quite possible that we'll want to play 3 centre halves at some point (one being Mee) or 3 central midfielders and Ward could easily slot into the team in either of those systems.

We need players in other positions too, but let's be sensible and judge the signing of Ward on its own merit, eh?

claret78
16-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Vokes is out and everyone else is the same.

Jamb0MackemClaret
16-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Taylor arguably an upgrade on Kightly, but Jutkiewicz probably a downgrade on Vokes, so we're basically the same with a better bench.

claret78
16-08-2014, 10:33 AM
So we're all in agreement then that the First XI is arguably weaker.

taio
16-08-2014, 10:35 AM
'So we're all in agreement then that the First XI is arguably weaker.'

Er no.

Goody1975
16-08-2014, 10:36 AM
"Jutkiewicz probably a downgrade on Vokes"

As he hasn't played a competitive game for us, it's impossible to know.

IanMcL
16-08-2014, 10:40 AM
This player adds additional flexibility. When we need to track back, he can do a defensive wing job. At home, he might not get a game, unless we struggle.

Who knows. It just adds to the excitement.

Someone mentioned mindset earlier. Exactly. No lightweights.

Mr.D
16-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Hi Wolves fan here. Ward cannot track back and he certainly can't defend he'll give you 100% but that's it. We signed him as a centre forward he's no left back.

mgill87
16-08-2014, 10:47 AM
"So we're all in agreement then that the First XI is arguably weaker."

No. I would say you're in the minority of people who think that. Sure, Vokes is a good player for us. However Jutkiewicz has had a fantastic pre-season and looks a good purchase.

While I wouldn't say we've improved the first team much (apart from the signing of Taylor perhaps) it's certainly not weaker.

claret78
16-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Seeing as the Vokes Ings partnership was the finest in living memory then I'm pretty sure that Juke and Ings will probably be weaker but definitely not better.

I don't know why people are getting so touchy when it's there for all to see and even neutral national newspapers have said so in their previews this morning.

mgill87
16-08-2014, 11:03 AM
"Seeing as the Vokes Ings partnership was the finest in living memory then I'm pretty sure that Juke and Ings will probably be weaker but definitely not better."

I'm not arguing that it will be better. However there is no reason that Juke cannot be as effective as Vokes. Remember that before last season Vokes was not exactly prolific. He was given a chance and given support. Juke will receive the same (at least from some fans) and will hopefully prosper albeit at a more difficult level.

"I don't know why people are getting so touchy when it's there for all to see and even neutral national newspapers have said so in their previews this morning."

Please point me to the various articles that say our first team is now weaker. Thanks in advance.

claret78
16-08-2014, 11:15 AM
There you go - view external link (http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/15/premier-league-tactical-preview-teams-change)

mgill87
16-08-2014, 11:28 AM
"There you go"

I'd already seen that. However your post suggested that this has come from multiple sources. The majority I've read have said that our first team is the same (more or less) and that it's the squad itself that has been strengthened.

If that's the only source, then it doesn't count for much as it would appear to be in the minority.

fourtetoffensive
16-08-2014, 11:43 AM
How much have we paid for him ? I hate all this undisclosed nonsense ...

claret78
16-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Wow you're plucky.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I personally would rather be starting with the team that played the vast majority of games last year than the one that will start on Monday. Each to their own though.

BennyD
16-08-2014, 11:49 AM
It's just Guardian bollox, ignore it.

mgill87
16-08-2014, 11:51 AM
"We'll have to agree to disagree then. I personally would rather be starting with the team that played the vast majority of games last year than the one that will start on Monday. Each to their own though."

Yes, let's agree to disagree. I've never said I'd prefer to have Juke than Vokes. Of course, I'd love Vokes to be fit and ready to play on Monday. However, the debate is whether Juke is an upgrade or a downgrade or a like-for-like replacement. It's impossible to tell really which is why I find it hard to understand why some think the squad is weaker. Let's hope Juke proves the doubters wrong :)

claret78
16-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Not a single person has said the squad is weaker.

mgill87
16-08-2014, 12:52 PM
"Not a single person has said the squad is weaker."

I meant the first team but didn't read my text after posting. I think we're all in agreement that the squad is stronger and more experienced now.

earbyclaret
16-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Taylor, Reid and Ward all have significant PL experience and they've all played for teams who've been involved in relegation battles. Reid and Ward are internationals who've played in major tournament finals.

Players like that don't have to be in the starting 11 every week to have a massively positive influence on the whole club and act as mentors/role models in helping to develop the undoubted talent that we already have.

We're still very much in the market for Dawson and Lansbury but they are both deals which are proving difficult to conclude.

Just because Ward's arrived before them doesn't make that in itself a poor signing or indeed a panic buy.

We're not the only team who haven't got all of our preferred targets yet. The success or otherwise of our transfer policy this summer can't be properly assessed for another fortnight.

Jamb0MackemClaret
16-08-2014, 08:46 PM
""Jutkiewicz probably a downgrade on Vokes"

As he hasn't played a competitive game for us, it's impossible to know."

Well, we can make a judgement off last season. Impressed with Jutkiewicz so far, but he's got big shoes to fill as Vokes was outstanding last season.

AuntSally
16-08-2014, 10:15 PM
'Well, we can make a judgement off last season'

Please tell me you're drinking heavily. That makes no sense whatsover.

Goody1975
16-08-2014, 10:17 PM
"Well, we can make a judgement off last season."

The same judgement that could have been made with Vokes from 2012/13.

dsr
16-08-2014, 11:04 PM
The Guardian man thinks that Jutkiewicz won't play and that Ings will be the lone striker. That, to me, suggests his opninion can be disregarded on the grounds that he doesn't know Burnley FC.

As for the Wolves fan who thinks Ward can't defend - I set that against the Brighton fans who voted him second in the Player of the Year voting after a season at left back.

Swanson
16-08-2014, 11:28 PM
I think its a great signing - plenty of experience in the PL and can play anywhere down the left side.

I know people keep mentioning Taylor - but he is as happy in centre mid as left mid, so I think Taylor is really cover for centre midfield as well as playing left mid in a 4-4-2.

I think Ward gives us a left midfielder when we play 4-5-1 if we choose to do that away from home - we can then play a centre pairing of Taylor, Jones & Marney, with Arfield on the right. We can also use Kightly instead but Ward gives us an option.

We also have Steven Reid as extra cover for centre midfield as that has been his main position for the past 10 years apart from recently.

The Ward signing seems just to be a good sensible signing that adds options to the squad with a genuine ready to go player rather than an untested younger player.

Young players with potential are the ones you sign when you get relegated and can come straight into the team in the championship - pretty much the good young ones

yorksclaret
16-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Go away with your positivity. You're not welcome here.

Quicknick
17-08-2014, 06:11 AM
Excellent post, Swanson.

ClaretMoffitt
17-08-2014, 07:01 AM
Well said Swanson,

i think people forget just how close we came to survival last time with an immeasurably weaker team in pretty much every sense. I'm not saying that we will definitely survive this time on that basis, but by christ we have a good chance.

Jamb0MackemClaret
17-08-2014, 10:30 AM
"'Well, we can make a judgement off last season'

Please tell me you're drinking heavily. That makes no sense whatsover."

Don't see how it needs explaining. Last season, Vokes was a much better player than Jutkiewicz.

ClaretMoffitt
17-08-2014, 12:32 PM
He was also playing in a much better team, under much better management.