PDA

View Full Version : The cost of scouting aboad vs the cost of domestic players

lucs86
17-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Been hearing a bit recently about how it's too expensive for us to scout players abroad and so our scouts stay in the UK.

But with pricetags on reasonable transfer targets like Deeney, Lansbury, McArthur and Dawson all seemingly beyond what we're comfortable spending and the general mood being that teams are paying a premium on British players I wonder at what point it would become more sensible for us to invest in foreign scouting?

Obviously this is all just complete speculation but would the Polish version of Wigan be holding out for 5m for the Polish McArthur? Probably not. Maybe the transfer fee and cost of scouting Polish McArthur comes nearer to the 4m we allegedly wanted to spend?

It's understandable that last season in the Championship we weren't scouting abroad but now with the PL money and parachute payments it's maybe something we could get in place. Seems to work well for Newcastle who must have someone based in France all year bringing them a quality player each year

ClaretTony2014
17-08-2014, 01:06 PM
"Been hearing a bit recently about how it's too expensive for us to scout players abroad and so our scouts stay in the UK."

I think you have misunderstood this. It was in reference to setting up a European scouting network which would cost a seriously high amount of money

"But with pricetags on reasonable transfer targets like Deeney, Lansbury, McArthur and Dawson all seemingly beyond what we're comfortable spending"

And I don't think there has ever been any suggestion of that.

Akinbadbye_20
17-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Aren't we in the process of setting up a european scouting network. Thought i'd read an interview with Dyche where he mentioned it

morninbob
17-08-2014, 01:10 PM
how much though ? the OP has a point if we are being priced out of deeney, dawson, Lansbury ect..

ClaretTony2014
17-08-2014, 01:16 PM
I don't think we are being priced out apart from Deeney where Watford have gone ridiculous.

Dyche did say we are extending the scouting but I don't know to what extent. He's made massive changes. When he became manager we'd got every scout based in Burnley.

Scouting is a massive operation now. We lost senior scout Lee Maybury to Stoke where he was appointed to head their European network.

lucs86
17-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Tony, didn't Dyche directly rule us out of chasing Deeney because of the money involved?

There's been plenty of talk from him about fees and the market being too high. He's mentioned McCormack to Fulham a few times, the inference being we'll struggle to compete in this market.

ClaretTony2014
17-08-2014, 01:51 PM
"Tony, didn't Dyche directly rule us out of chasing Deeney because of the money involved?"

He laughed off the reported suggestion that we'd offered eight million for him (after the Accy game I think). He said we would not be making eight million signings.

No doubt that the reported fee for McCormack has blown things out of the water although subsequent reports suggest Fulham have paid around half if that.

Dyche sees the need to build the infrastructure. We are extending the scouting and sports science etc. We are doing things the right way.

roseylee
17-08-2014, 04:42 PM
it is far cheaper to find undiscovered talent abroad, than it is to get the required talented players in this country.

the transfer market in this country is absolutely ridiculous for players who are so called good quality players. the premier league and sky tv have ensured that only a few clubs in this country can shell out ludicrous sums of money every season to still be able to compete for the major honours. 90 per cent of the clubs in the premier league, are just living off the scraps at the end of the table just to survive up there.

and when a player does come along at a smaller club, you can be sure it wont be long, before one of the big clubs come sniffing around and offer silly money that a smaller club simply cannot afford to refuse, plus the player will want to probably treble or quadruple is wages elsewhere.

poultonclaret
17-08-2014, 05:06 PM
i think we all know that we cannot compete with most clubs in the top two english divisions when it comes to spending. that being so we have to take a different approach to finding good players at a price we can afford. won't be cheap or easy but if it works it'll pay for itself. thing is, where to scout? africa, spain, eastern europe etc etc. good, cheap players can come from anywhere. the club can't base scouts all over the world. would probably have to decided on two or three geographical locations. i would suggest the south pacific and i would be honoured to set it up.

davemanu2000
17-08-2014, 05:06 PM
From far I have always advocated to recruit foreign players principally from -African continent .I have an address in Nigeria ,The club has proposed three players on loan to MU Mauritian club Faucon .The Nigerian club prepares players to export to European clubs .The ready made players are available at low cost. They have to be trained further to meet English standard .

davemanu2000
17-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Today Newcastle fielded a new player by the of Riviere .He has landed through a French club Rouen or something else . He is from reunion island only 125 kms from our coast .

lotty1
17-08-2014, 05:35 PM
He was signed from Monaco , reportedly for 6 mill . Also played for Saint-Etienne and Toulouse .

davemanu2000
18-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the correction .riviere s first match as striker was not so bad ,It is very likely that he will improve match after match ,

There is no risk ,Burnley should establish contacts principally from leading clubs .It is so easy to do it through Internet to begin with .

ecc
18-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Let's get realistic here: you can't build a European scouting network in a couple of months.

Until promotion was guaranteed we didn't have the proverbial pot to urinate it let alone start winging it on players SD had never seen play.