PDA

View Full Version : We Can Build On That - Positives To Take

Rowls
18-08-2014, 08:56 PM
BFC 1-3 Chelsey

Plenty of positives to take from that performance.

Most teams in the league would have buckled after our rumbling start. That level of performance will gain points more often than not.

Chelsea will win the league if they play half as well each week.

The lads will be under no illusions of the standard they can expect and it's a good marker to what we're aiming to beat.

I'm heartened we can take that on the chin and press on.

UTC

claretcanada
18-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Excellent comment could not agree more

herts_clarets
18-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Positives:

Trips and Arfield linked well down the right
Ings and Lukey threatened occasionaly
Marney grafted well in the middle

Glaringly obvious that we need some creativity in the middle and some pace wide left.

And finally, we won't play a team that good every week.

andy_1986
18-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Plenty of positives there. Thw Jukes touch was outstanding and I think he could be the surprise package this year. Matty Taylir looks very spritly for his age and lokks a positive addition. We need a CB, as Duff does give the ball a way too easily for the way we play, but he was solid. On the whole very positive.

goddy2shoes
18-08-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm not even that downhearted, Rowls, old thing.

Ok, Chelski didn't really go for it in the second half but we probably had the better of it.

I think we'll threaten going forward and the defence won't face that sort of attack too often.

Personally I feel even more confident we'll stay up if we play like that.

COYC

Boliclaret
18-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Chelsea put in a really hard working quality performance. They had quality all over the pitch.

We played well but for a sloppy period just after the goal, although the 2nd was classy but the 1st and 3rd were preventable.

Encouraging performance overall, at least I'm not too dissapointed.

quayclaret
18-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Agreed. Lot's of positives - Terry has just said it's some of the best football he's every been involved with in a Chelsea side. Our season doesn't depend on results against Chelsea and the like.

MDP1
18-08-2014, 09:08 PM
We will have learnt a hell of a lot from tonight.

We can take heart from scoring against one of the best teams in Europe. But we must, must retain the ball a little better, and show a bit more composure in possession. I appreciate there is a fine line between taking time on the ball, and getting caught.

We were a little awe struck in the first half, but I suppose that's only natural.

A couple of quality signings now, to go with the endeavour should give us a nice mix.

Overall, we can't read to much into tonight. Onwards to the next game.

BOYSIE31
18-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Great performance and now the lads know what its about after the 1st game.
Just need 2 or 3 quality players in now.

CombatClaret
That we showed attacking potential was very encouraging, let alone a goal against last years best defensive side.

I'ts not our job to beat the top 4 but pick up points against those around us and with the graft the team showed today I'm confident.

Hopefully Ings can find his form quickly, a couple mistakes from good chances not taken.

Boliclaret
Overall, we can't read too much into tonight.

We can read though that that pass for the 2nd wasn't something we faced in the Championship, or the speed of movement.

But its a learning curve, and Chelsea was certainly a tough test.

Turftalker
18-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Great comments.

In a sense the first half was more exciting, but the second half really demonstrated we have lots to play for and lots of potential. We were more organised, tried to play how we did last season holding possession and playing with width.

In the first half I think we rushed a few too many things, although in attack we looked good. Completely agree that the Juke looks very good too.

Onwards and upwards!

PS: Chelsea were rather good. Schurle was particularly impressive, whilst Hazard was like a ballerina with his control!

FCBurnley
18-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Thought we were decent going forward and caused their defence problems. Gave them too much time on the ball and way to much respect. Was disappointed with Heatons distribution . You cannot give the ball away to teams like Chelsea. Sure Dyche will learn a lot from that but overall not too bad.
Points against the top teams are a bonus, its the games against the bottom teams we have to win.

murger
18-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Chelsea were a class above tonight, but we can take so many positives. We have nothing to fear in this league.

Mk1Golf_BFC
18-08-2014, 09:20 PM
I agree, Chelsea were spectacular after conceding and Burnley were mesmerised, watching the play unfold before them as the goals went in.

But I don't want to sound too much like Alan Smith, we were great tonight and I'm proud as punch to be honest despite the defeat. Jut looks like a classy player and can hold it up well, Kightly was like a man possessed when he came on and an all round good effort against a team full of Champions league/World Cup winners.

We will bother a few teams with that strike force this season and will pick up points if we continue to play like that.

WeirClaret
18-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Well one small positive the ground certainly looked very good from the tele I think its the best its ever looked :D

ClaretPrinter
18-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Thought we looked a bit star struck tonight and the occasion overwhelmed a few.
However also think we can show a few teams up this season as well.
Left hand side and CM lacking some attacking flair ala Tripps and Arfield IMO.

Solid start. Utc

SussexDon1
18-08-2014, 09:24 PM
We all dreamed a little when Scotty scored!!!!

Their first and 3rd could have been prevented and maybe on another night, we might have been lucky and got a draw.

Their second was a dream goal.

I thought the ref was fair and I am glad he thought (like I did) their player dived because that would have been Heaton off and 10 men and then I fear we would have lost heavily.

I thought Shacks was a bit weak with his distribution and gave the ball away a few times but overall I WAS PROUD of the LADS and thought Arfield was MOM.

I was a bit disappointed that the crowd went silent and didn't get behind the lads a bit more but was pleased at the end when they sand Sean Dyches Claret and Blue Army.

Lets get something at Swansea!!!

UTC

merlin1
18-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Harsh on Duff bearing in mind it was shackell giving the ball away. Thought duff was pretty good.

KeighleyClaret
18-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Chelsea's performance in the first half was about as good as I can remember from a visiting side since I started watching Burnley in 1962.

Arfield took his goal well, we were crushed by some outstanding creativity but finished with heads held up and true to the style that got us promotion.

Some good performances from Juke, Ings, Duff, Scotty, Trippier after a shaky start. There will be many easier games than this one so everything to look forward to!

Just a mere 300 million gulf to bridge tonight that proved too much.

BriscoCountyJr
18-08-2014, 09:38 PM
One of the toughest tests of the season out of the way and the players did OK. Thought the 1st and 3rd were definitely preventable but Chelsea were irresistible going forward.

Scotty A looked like he belonged at this level, the team seemed to be continuing the hard working, heavy pressing style that I loved so much last year (I had a sneaking feeling Dyche might slip into the post-Xmas 2013 defensive shell).

Really feel we need a CB with a bit of pace though.

Better teams will lose more than 3-1 at home to that lot, I'm sure of that.

MDP1
18-08-2014, 09:39 PM
'Thought Duff was pretty good'

Agree.

I've been critical in recent weeks in starting with Duff. The horror show against Man City at home has lived long in the memory.

However, I'm more than happy to eat a little humble pie.

I wouldn't like to start with Duff every week mind, and we certainly still need to strengthen at the back.

Nevertheless, well played Michael Duff.

mgill87
18-08-2014, 09:39 PM
If we go down but with that fight and determination, then I will have no complaints.

Arfield's goal was fantastic - went absolutely bonkers. Some positive play and I thought we showed some moments of quality and a lot of fight which we'll definitely need!

Chelsea were excellent, particularly Fabregas. We will have plenty of tough games this season but not many as difficult as that.

Swanson
18-08-2014, 09:43 PM
To see the Sky stats:

Shots: Burnley 9 - Chelsea 11

That is quite a stunning statistic - we weren't "destroyed" with a relentless amount of chances from a very top team, no lots of "one on ones", no last gap saves from Heaton, no hitting the bar and post, no lucky escapes.

Just a few goals of world class quality in the first half when were finding our feet. And yes, a few lessons learnt about marking and movement at this level - that we won't come up against every week.

Second half as we found the level, you could see our players holding onto the ball longer as they felt more confident, you could see the old Burnley with the same passing shape etc.

Very very positive signs.

warksclaret
18-08-2014, 09:44 PM
At the end of the day losing by 2 goals was no disgrace and you cannot fault them for lack of effortt.Having said that a few more teams ie Man City, Liverpool on their day may have been more relentless. Chelsea closed shop in the 2nd half

Thought two of last years stars ie Heaton and Mee looked shaky. Thought our inability to keep possession stood out. We are crying out for a "Jack Cork" to join us

wills_claret
18-08-2014, 09:45 PM
We did well against the best team in the league in my opinion. The two up front did well with the scraps they had, and I was really impressed with Arfields confidence to take the game to them when he could. No one had a bad game, and they battled really well.

We're going to have to be quite direct this season, use the channels well and get some good balls in the box. It's a tough ask for a midfield pair to get the ball down and keep it against this level of opposition; we rarely did it last year! One thing that stood out for me, and I feel a bit bad singling him out, is that Jones' one footedness is more of a problem at this level. We desperately need a CM with a bit of passing flair and quickness of feet in there with Marney's athleticism.

ClaretMoffitt
18-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Agree totally with whats already been said in that we played the best tonight. And at points we played the best, at their very best.

We will not have to deal with that every week, not even close. I don't know if we have enough to survive or not, but I do know that todays result holds very little bearing on that conclusion.

Bin_Ont_Turf
18-08-2014, 09:49 PM
That second Chelsea goal was a masterpiece.

Although Marney or Jones should have been out there stopping Calorgas.

I'm nitpicking though.

Plenty of positives, even if Kightly was crap. Put the ball o'er man!

mgill87
18-08-2014, 09:51 PM
"At the end of the day losing by 2 goals was no disgrace and you cannot fault them for lack of effortt.Having said that a few more teams ie Man City, Liverpool on their day may have been more relentless. Chelsea closed shop in the 2nd half"

I agree. While I'm delighted with our players efforts (particularly in the 2nd half) I think that our improvement in possession etc was as much down to Chelsea taking their foot off the pedal as it was our boys effort - bit of both really.

Duffer_
18-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Back pass apart, I thought Mee had a decent game. Grew in confidence in the second half and was composed and progressive.

We will keep going all season. As has been said, results against bottom half sides will define our season.

I remember thinking against Accy that if Scotty A looked out of place in the Prem, then that would frighten me in terms of the step up. Still not scared - just proud!

hb_claret007
18-08-2014, 10:06 PM
It's good to be positive, but a 1:3 defeat at home cannot ever be a solid result!!
It's about how quickly we can learn at this level. Goals 1 and 3 conceded were very poor. Chelsea had lots to spare. We settled better in the second half, but midfield looked poor, Arfield apart.
on to Swansea with a couple of quality additions, hopefully!
Welcome to the premier league BFC.

skiptonclaret
18-08-2014, 10:08 PM
No one expects to be able to compete against Chelsea, the fact that we drew the second half is a positive (although Chelsea weren't exactly going for it in the second half) along with performances from such as Arfield, Duff and the Juke. Our first two away games will perhaps give a more accurate indication of where we are at, we all know what deficiencies must be addressed in the transfer window, they don't really need repeating.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
18-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Kept going, kept our shape and created chances. As said above we won't be facing that quality evey week.

Some new signings though would be welcome this week!

Jamb0MackemClaret
18-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Plenty to be happy about, despite falling apart a bit for 20 minutes in the first half. We looked dangerous every time we attacked, Taylor and Jutkiewicz both looked like solid additions, Arfield looked at home.

Still lots and lots to work on.

yingyangyong
18-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Totally agree.

Could do with some strength and experience in midfield and after a very nervous start (Which was our undoing) I thought we adapted well - as has been said big gulf here.

I think all their players participated in the world cup finals? Only two English players.

Lesson learned and experience gained.

Happy to have paid for my season ticket for the three minutes we were ahead!

HatfieldClaret
18-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Wherever we finish in the league, top half or bottom half, we could and would always look to strengthen the squad. We could of had a 12th man out there with a more intimidating atmosphere...

Proud of them all tonight. Chelsea are in the top 10 teams in the world and we lost 3-1 after taking the lead. No shame there.

Garforth_Claret
18-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Just got home and very glad to see a positive thread. What an absolute pleasure seeing all those class players on our Turf. Great crowd too, ground looked good. We gave it a go, tempted us with thoughts of glory and the lads will be better for it. This was never going to be a critical result game so let's just put another good football night in the memory bank and get ready for the next one.

realistblue
19-08-2014, 06:11 AM
I like the positive approach, your problem will be raising your game like that every week, man city, Chelsea, arsenal etc are not your cup finals, QPR West brom etc are.

harrowclaret
19-08-2014, 07:15 AM
"Glaringly obvious that we need some creativity in the middle"

"We need 2 or 3 quality players in now"

""We need a CB with a bit of pace"

The same comments that have been appearing on this message board for the past 6-8 weeks. Very unlikely that we will get the quality players needed due to a lack of financial will and muscle.

The Bedlington Terrier
19-08-2014, 07:31 AM
I would love to know who we could buy and how much it would cost to compete on a level playing field aginst the third favourites for the Champions League title? Dawson, Deeney, Lansbury etc. would totally blow our budget and we still would not have a prayer. Time for a bit of realism and appreciation for what we are doing and the way SD is going about his business. We gave it our all, we were outclassed and outplayed but things will get better.

claretspice
19-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Lots of positives to take.

Jutkewitz was a handful, Ings increasingly looked at home as the game wore on, showing feet that were too fast for Terry or Cahill, both of which suggest we can carry an attacking threat, Arfield looked really at home, Duff and Shackell defended heroically at times considering the circumstances.

I also thought the way we stuck at it and stuck to our guns second half was very reassuring, and Trippier and Mee both showed great character to rebound from tricky first halves - Mee especially, I thought he struggled badly before the break - to have solid second periods.

There are lessons to learn - particularly in central midfield, where we were found wanting. Even if most teams will be miles short of Chelsea, it underlined the need to reinforce that area of the team - we need to keep the ball better, and we also need more pace on whichever flank Arfield isn't occupying.

oldcolner
20-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Agree much of the above. No one mentions SD. It's good to have got the ginger mourinho thing out the way. He gave most of the squad some time on the pitch against the title favourites so they know what the best are like, t,he rest should be easier. He kept calm and controlled looking an authority figure. We lost so the club profile is low and less chance of a Coyle repeat.
The team performed well with no bickering or finger pointing. The second goal was a goal of the season contender and no team would have stopped it. The first looked to me like the shot was going wide but got the toe of a defender putting it onto the post. If that had gone by they may not have got the impetus - if if ! We didn't lose Heaton.
The stats don't look too bad they only had three shots on target against our two. We played over 400 passes with 72% success against their 606 and 82%.
Finally Leicester will be worried.:s Lets see what Saturday brings for them and reevaluate our efforts then.