PDA

View Full Version : Our support should be embarassed!!

bambooclaret
18-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Disgusted by our support tonight, first game in premiership in four years live on sky an we decide to stay silent an not back our boys. Chelsea will probably be champions an our lads gave it there all but we never sang, backed them or created an atmosphere. Sean dyche an his squad should feel let down by the fans tonight after everything theyve done!!

murger
18-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Did you forget your hearing aid?

mgill87
18-08-2014, 09:22 PM
The crowd sounded pretty vocal to me though it naturally faltered after Chelsea's quick succession of goals - shock more than anything I guess!

merlin1
18-08-2014, 09:23 PM
'Twas quiet but the jubilation of going one nil up quickly vanishing would end most atmospheres. Oh well.

TuftyBeamish
18-08-2014, 09:25 PM
We were great until after their third. Subdued after that.
We need to fully embrace the 'Twelfth Man' mantra and that soon.

goalposts
18-08-2014, 09:26 PM
were given a masterclass by one of the best sides in europe...shurle and hazard were awesome.

we wont play them every week ..for us arfield - duff were excellent and juke was promising..

bambooclaret
18-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Hahaha anyone who thinks we was noisey tonight is deluded, we was awful bar 30 seconds after our goal. Shocking home support like usual

roseylee
half of them who went tonight wont have been to a match in years. probably trying to get themselves on telly :D

bambooclaret
Our players turned up, our fans didnt

RammyClaret61
18-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Only embarrassing moment of the game for me came when Burnley scored.

THAT BLOODY GOAL MUSIC. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

permafrost
18-08-2014, 09:31 PM
are your lugholes made of bamboo? christ, buy an ear trumpet.

Funkydrummer
18-08-2014, 09:34 PM
We Was ? ! ! And deaf too :D

Wembley09
18-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Yeah, no where near as loud or buoyant as the Man Utd game the last time... but we certainly weren't quiet tonight??

wills_claret
18-08-2014, 09:36 PM
It was ok in pockets, but compared to say Crystal Palace - we were pretty quiet. I firmly believe it's a lack of inspiring songs to sing...the same old tired chants that just die out don't do anything to enhance the atmosphere.

ClaretMoffitt
18-08-2014, 09:39 PM
I have to admit, our support was pretty poor tonight vocally..

big_ears_longside
18-08-2014, 09:52 PM
I agree on the whole our support was poor tonight. Will be the same for a lot of games getting drowned out by 4 thousand away fans

bambooclaret
18-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Fans who think we wasnt quiet tonight have only ever been on friendlies, horribly quiet

outlooksunny
18-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Get yer ears sorted.
What dross some of these pop- ups write! >:( :? :O

ColneSuperClaret
18-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Bamboo. What a delusional statement. Were you actually at the game?

Steve_Harpers_Perm
18-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Not sure what any Burnley fan has to be embarrassed for tonight.

ClaretAWH
18-08-2014, 10:04 PM
It seems to me that those that thought there was no singing or atmosphere, watched it on TV as I just got home and the mrs said the same that it was quiet, but we sang throughout the first half and before kick off but agreed the second half was subdued. What was good to see was the crowd standing a and cheering the guys directly after we conceded so not sure where the hold your heads in shame comes from to be honest

stanleyj
18-08-2014, 10:06 PM
we need to take the roof off the away end.

daveisaclaret
18-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Atmosphere was crap tonight. Ok (just ok) until we started conceding, then absolutely silent.

Peter_Nobles_Wig
18-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Our support was very poor tonight.

I have kept quiet about goal music and the Board not selling the ranch etc etc but I will now speak out...

Against filling the Cricket Field Stand with away supporters.

Take back half or a third... forget the cost. This is important. We cannot let most clubs fill the Cricket Field Stand and out sing home support !

bf2k
18-08-2014, 10:12 PM
I must admit the atmosphere was dull and low from the Bob Lord. I could see the JH Lower and parts of the Upper jumping around but couldn't hear an awful lot.

Jamb0MackemClaret
18-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Not a surprise really, we couldn't muster an atmosphere for a supposed promotion party at the end of last season.

DiBranchio
18-08-2014, 10:25 PM
If you are embarrassed by our support, why not get yourself to An field and join in with the prerecorded sing a long with all the Japanese tourists and the like.

distortiondave
18-08-2014, 10:25 PM
It was terrible. Before the game, after the goal and after the equaliser was alright. After that, for a sell out/full house it was awful.

bf2k
18-08-2014, 10:32 PM
For a full away following, Chelsea weren't exactly rocking the place either. Is TM a poor ground for atmosphere?

HatfieldClaret
18-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Could hear the Chelsea fans on TV without any problem...

TM does get quiet. That's why I ;ove the away matches, buzzing...

Steve_Harpers_Perm
18-08-2014, 10:37 PM
100 Verona fans created enough noise last week to dispel the myth turf moor isn't good for an atmosphere.

Still not sure what the problem was tonight obviously when we are 3.1 down at home it's going to dampen the atmosphere!

Akinbadbye_20
18-08-2014, 10:39 PM
New chants dont spread anymore. Lancashire home still hasnt reached the Jimmy Mac stand and it looks like no areas really start any chants anymore. The divide between the standing and seating areas in the longside lower hasnt helped

bf2k
18-08-2014, 10:43 PM
I don't buy this 1-3 down is going to kill the atmosphere. We're back in the big boy league. First game in a league we were expected to be 2 promotions off this season, not in it. Yes if we're 1-3 down to West Brom then we can feel aggrieved but Chelsea will be well within a shout of winning the league.

I can only speak for where I was in the ground but why can't we just enjoy that we're in the best league in our country competing with the best teams in the country? When we went 1 up it was like a party. Surely we can treat every game like that no matter if we are being taught how to play football?

distortiondave
18-08-2014, 10:44 PM
The point is that being 3-1 down at home against the title favourites in our first home game of the season, with a sell out crowd, after winning automatic promotion the atmosphere should have been better.
Whether it was 1-0 or 1-10 we were at home with as many fans as we could possibly cram in, we should have been defiant and proud, but it was ****e.

I know not every game can be like Derby away 20 years ago, but crikey. It was very very poor tonight.

CrustyCrouton
18-08-2014, 11:22 PM
As someone who for the past 15 years has been standing in the most vocal section of the ground, I can only describe tonight as absolutely underwhelming and surprisingly pathetic.

I have almost seen better for some Tuesday night league games against the likes of Barnsley.

If that is the best we have got to offer, which given the full circumstances it probably is, then I fear for our chances of survival because we certainly don't have the "Cauldron" or a "Fortress" which we once had.

I honestly can't fathom the reason why, whether it be PL fans, nerves, or just frustration at our Transfer dealings, but I was well and truly embarrassed when the Chelsea fans were taking the p*ss and we had absolutely nothing in response.

Disheartening at best.

LoveCurryPies
18-08-2014, 11:29 PM
I thought the fans were much better than normal especially in the first half. Don't agree with the OP.

CrustyCrouton
18-08-2014, 11:38 PM
"I thought the fans were much better than normal especially in the first half. Don't agree with the OP."

Must better than normal?

Oh dear. And what is normal? Barnsley at home on a Tuesday night?

This is us, back in the PL for only the second time in, 40? years.

Compare this to the United game 5 years ago, we were barely a tenth of what we were that night.

I will again reiterate that if this is the best we have to offer this season then I have lost faith in the 12th man completely.

I have left the Turf many many times embarrassed because of the team on show, but rarely have I left embarrassed by the fans. Tonight was most definitely one of those nights.

spunkybackpack21
18-08-2014, 11:54 PM
CrustyCrouton, of all people, having a go at the fans. Hopefully, some of your comments re Dyche/the team from a year or so back are still in the archive.

The support could have been better but there's some melodrama here. I do think there's issues with chants but we're not helping ourselves with the CFS decision. I think we'll see better support in games we aren't getting a lesson in.

ColinBlant
19-08-2014, 12:56 AM
Posted 19 Aug 2014 00:22
re: Our support should be embarassed!!
"As someone who for the past 15 years has been standing in the most vocal section of the ground"

So you're happy to have broken the law for the last 15 years then?

dallasclaret
19-08-2014, 01:10 AM
other than the odd game the atmosphere died at the Turf when the Longside came down and the seats went in. It became much more difficult to sit with the more vocal supporters and people you stood with for decades simply disappeared.

No excuse for tonight though, sounded (or didn't) like a library on the TV, seriously embarrassing and maybe down to the Premier League plastics the club wants to desperately keep hold of.
Best fans in this division last year were Crystal Palace by a mile

bambooclaret
19-08-2014, 04:41 AM
Verona showed we can have atmosphere, united at home last time was fantastic, spurs in the cup was fantastic thats the level we should create every week. Chelsea were very loud but we still out numbered them an couldnt hear a peep

NottsClaret
19-08-2014, 06:04 AM
I didn't feel embarrassed.

Didn't cross my mind until I read this thread. I quite enjoyed the evening as it goes.

claret78
19-08-2014, 06:09 AM
It was totally embarrassing. A lot like last season tbh. I don't know what has happened over the last few years. We can't use the excuse of Laws being in charge like 5 years ago.

I don't sit in the JHL/U any more but when away fans start shushing and singing your support is f...ing shjt please get your act together and at least sing something.

Easily the most disappointing thing about last night.

claret78
19-08-2014, 06:26 AM
Just one other thing. Re CrustyCrouton I don't know how you can come on here and say "I've stood for last 15 years blah blah blah" when this time last year you were shouting from the rooftops that you weren't going on again whilst Yawn Dyche was in charge. Unbelievable.

claretspice
19-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Must admit I thought the atmosphere was fine, certainly for the first 25 minutes until it became patently obvious we weren't going to be in the game. After that, it became a bit more limited to some bursts of defiance but I'd wager most grounds would end up the same way in similar circumstances.

As others have said, the issue is the failure to split the CFS. That costs us any chance of the more vocal Burnley fans at the bottom end of the Longside being more audible than the away fans and so spreading chants round the ground.

LincolnClaret
19-08-2014, 07:15 AM
claretspice has it spot on. The atmosphere was great at the start and great for about 25 minutes; after that it was a bit of a wake up call.

I think the players and the fans needed smelling salts after Ivanovic scored their 3rd. If it had been a boxing match the towel might have been thrown in at that point as we looked like we'd had the stuffing well and truly knocked out of us.

Nothing to be ashamed of though; on or off the pitch.

The Bedlington Terrier
19-08-2014, 07:23 AM
We all realised that Chelsea had declared their innings so nothing to get overly excited about. The togetherness at the end of the match and the applause for sheer effort was superb. We will not be playing that class every week and we will improve after free singing lessons conducted by Lee Hoos every alternate Wednesday at Gawthorpe!

yorksclaret
19-08-2014, 08:01 AM
What do you expect when half the crowd needed to reprogram their satnavs to find the Turf in the first place? 5 years is a long time.

NottsClaret
19-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Just to check, no one really feels embarrassed do they? Surely a bit of a weirdo if you do.

I'm embarrassed about a shirt I wore in the mid-90s - it really was a shocker - and the weasely way I dumped a girlfriend years ago.

But because a lot of strangers who support the same football team as me don't chant songs loudly while watching us chase shadows against one of the world's best football teams? Nah, not at all.

braindead
19-08-2014, 08:19 AM
There is some bitter rubbish on this thread and no mistake.

spunkybackpack21
19-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Ironically, the same people who say crap like 'we should be embarrassed' are the same ones to start fleeing the nest when things get a bit rough on the pitch.

CrustyCrouton the archetypal example.

NELLYD
19-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Before kick off, we were loud and proud.
Upto and after the first goal, again the support very vocal.

Chelsea's 3 goals did kill some of the atmosphere from our point of view, though the Chelsea fans were stood for the whole 90 mins giving excellent away support.

Second half we were more vocal again, found myself shouting at the fans blocking our view and others views of the pitch by standing and leaving up to 15 mins early, one couple leaving 10 mins early saying 'your down already' to which I replied see you in five years then.

Some were there to watch the match, not nessasarly support Burnley, an oldish couple still seated around us looked bemused at the start when we all stood to welcome the player's onto the pitch.

I Suppose that this will happen a lot this season.
I thought the hardcore faithfull did well with the support, + a sell out to start the campaign.

Atmosphere is not always linked to results.

I'll always keep singing for my team!

Up the clarets

the_quoon
19-08-2014, 09:09 AM
in the main, away fans are louder than home fans at every ground in the country.

its not just at turf moor.

embarrassed? as nottsclaret says, thats just weird.

thelifeofbrian
19-08-2014, 09:12 AM
seeemd ok from my view in the pub...

LancasterClaret
19-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Todays claretsmad WTF? topic is

"Our support should be embarassed"

Steve_Harpers_Perm
19-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Maybe if we'd let Chelsea score six we would have been as loud as that memorable Saturday evening last time in the Premier League when City thumped us!!!

ClaretAWH
19-08-2014, 09:19 AM
I must have woken with a sore throat and husky voice through staying silent all through the match, but then so must the rest of NU5 NU4 AND NU3, which were the blocks around where we were sat but i hard plenty from the JMU and also further down in NU6 and NU7.

The second half was quieter than the first half but then it did turn in to a game of tennis with the long ball get rid routine.

To be honest I am proud of the lads and some of Chelseas play was breathtaking, but if we can play like that against other none superstar sides in the prem then I think we are better than 4 other teams UTC

TuftyBeamish
19-08-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm going to pre-empt SpadesClaret when she reads this and point out that the most embarrassing part of this thread is that the OP has spelled 'embarrassed' incorrectly.

JohnMcGreal
19-08-2014, 09:25 AM
I thought the atmosphere before the teams came out was good, and could have been even better if we didn't have music booming out of the speakers and drowning out the chants of both sets of supporters.

I thought the atmosphere at the start of the game was very good and continued to be so until after we scored.

Once Chelsea started to pick us apart, it got a little flat, but that's perfectly understandable. Even so, the crowd were behind the team all night and gave them a great reception at the end of the game.

Chelsea fans were fairly loud, but they had the huge advantage of being away, having the entire CFS to themselves and their team dominating most of the match.

Embarrassed? Nonsense. I very much enjoyed last night.

If the club were interesting in trying to improve the atmosphere in the ground, they could have given home fans a section of the CFS, and could cut down the music before game to let the atmosphere build between both sets of supporters naturally.

But I wouldn't say

pureclaret
19-08-2014, 09:37 AM
quite obviously Bamboo has not been to many Burnley games, and as everyone said before having a full cricket field stand of away fans in the way the stand is built means you can hear the away fans as they are concentrated in one area.
I looked around and most areas of the home support sang and shouted clapped and jumped for joy.
Why would anyone say it was embarrassing, yes there were times when we were quiet but the we were 1:3 down and it was more about enjoying the fact we are in with the big boys, and not about how loud we can sing. WE TURNED UP IN OUR THOUSANDS.

Boliclaret
19-08-2014, 09:48 AM
when away fans start shushing and singing your support is f...ing shjt please get your act together and at least sing something.

But that doesn't happen away. Chelsea fans were loud because they were in a tight compact stand with a lower roof, the same as when Burnley fans were loud at Stamford bridge in the shed.

How many times does it need spelling out? its the stands. Supporters are too spread out and the sound just doesn't travel. Some supporters were busting a gut last night yet sounded subdued compared to the old longside.

The Spurs and Arsenal games in the cup are seen as being modern classics in terms of atmosphere, but even they were relatively tame compared to nights on the old longside.

bambooclaret
19-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Ive been going home and away games for 30 years and find our home support is getting worse an worse. There was barely an atmosphere last season bar a few games

the_quoon
19-08-2014, 10:17 AM
"singing your support is f...ing shjt "

up there with the sloop john b "[place] is a sh1thole" chant as the most cringeworthy football chant of recent times.

clareturion
19-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Ive been going home and away games for 30 years and find our home support is getting worse an worse. There was barely an atmosphere last season bar a few games

It's obvious this is a disproportionately important part of your football entertainment so just be thankful for what was produced last night because many more tubthumpings and it will disappear to library levels.

claret78
19-08-2014, 02:14 PM
"Why would anyone say it was embarrassing, yes there were times when we were quiet but the we were 1:3 down and it was more about enjoying the fact we are in with the big boys, and not about how loud we can sing. WE TURNED UP IN OUR THOUSANDS."

Don't really think there's any need to use capital letters when it was the smallest crowd of the weekend.

All I am saying is that it looks like Sean Dyche is going to have to do it on his own AGAIN because the majority of Burnley fans have up supporting at three one and did exactly what this guy said above which was "enjoying the fact we are in with the big boys" but enjoying it quietly quite obviously.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
19-08-2014, 02:21 PM
'One of the smallest crowds of the weekend'.

Is that because we have the smallest ground perhaps?! Your posts just get stranger and stranger.

Last week you said Dyche was obviously bricking it now he's going to have to do it on his own as your accusing most Burnley fans it would seem of just being happy to watch us get beat by the 'big' clubs!

permafrost
19-08-2014, 02:21 PM
it wasn't the smallest crowd. QPR was.

I think in all fairness, the sublime stuff Fabregas and co were
dishing out, was enough to silence any crowd.

brilliance, sheer brilliance.

Quattro
19-08-2014, 02:52 PM
I am actually embarrassed at the OP's poor spelling and use of grammar! ;D

However, I would have to ask the OP if there is a fault with the volume on his TV? If he feels that the fans didn't turn up, the OP must be deals, blind or plain stupid!

In fact, I'd even go as far as saying a combination of all three!

Wembley09
19-08-2014, 02:59 PM
"100 Verona fans created enough noise last week to dispel the myth turf moor isn't good for an atmosphere.

Still not sure what the problem was tonight obviously when we are 3.1 down at home it's going to dampen the atmosphere!"

Stoke fans also proved that it was myth a few years ago. About 400 Stoke fans in the Jimmy Mac lower created alot of noise that tuesday night.

Alot of fans on the Turf don't join in with chants/singing (especially when we are in the Championship) more join in with the clapping but that's about it.

That's why agree, going to away games to watch Burnley is much better for an atmosphere.

sykerjoe
19-08-2014, 05:03 PM
the atmosphere was excellent last time around -major mistake not allowing burnley fans into the cricketfield stand because it effectively created a singing section-the people who bought tickets there wanted to sing and thats the difference - it will be turf morgue all season-the board must have their heads up their backsides -they must of known what would happen and chose to ignore it :/

ChristheViking
19-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Some fans seem to genuinely think that if we had half the CFS it would overcome any deficiencies on the pitch.

Well we didn't do too badly last season without home fans in there. Maybe there's a complex algorithm out there that proves correlation between home fans in the CFS and results on the pitch?

Alas until seeing it, I'll consider this argument to be the complete bollox it actually is.

CrustyCrouton
19-08-2014, 06:45 PM
My comments deleted for criticising our support last night whilst the rest remain. Nowt like Clarets Mad freedom of speech eh.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2jbwdhi.jpg

neild100
19-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Not embarrassing but there was a cathedral-like quiet at times

ClaretMatt4
19-08-2014, 07:13 PM
It was fine. We were behind for most of the game.

Loved when they sang 'you only came to see the chelsea' and we replied with 'we support our local team'

ClaretMatt4
19-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Also, considering Chelsea fans were in the lead for almost the whole game, they were very quiet at times. On TV their chants may have seemed louder because they're all together i na smaller wooden stand whilst the longside chants just blow out of the stadium.

Oh, and it's WILL WE PLAY not till we play, you plebs!

scouseclaret
19-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Us Burnley fans seem to have lost the art of supporting our team.

Even at the beginning, when it was fairly noisy, we were still just copying whatever the Chelsea fans were singing. Once it became clear that we were going to get beat, we practically gave up altogether.

Surely when your team is getting outclassed by a much better side is when they need the support most. Once of a day they would have got it - not any more.

BelialofBacup
19-08-2014, 08:20 PM
I agree, for the biggest away support we've had in a long time, Chelsea weren't that loud imo. I hate to say it but they aren't a patch on Leeds' support and a few others I remember over time

Sidney1st
19-08-2014, 08:34 PM
I watched the Southampton vs Chelsea match at St Mary's in January, just before our cup game there.

The Chelsea fans were very vocal for the entire match and easily out sung the saints fans.

They've always travelled well I believe.

ldbfc
19-08-2014, 10:14 PM
I thought the atmosphere was decent for the first half hour but I must say so in the main, the atmosphere at the turf has been getting worse over the years. I think this has been steadily the case for English football when comparing it to our neighbours in Europe.

A lot of people in England say they go to the game to watch the football not for the atmosphere but today, I tend to go to away games more than home games to go for the atmosphere as I think its one of the things that needs to remain integral to football- something has to be done about it...I can't enjoy football as much whilst warming the plastic of my chair.

pureclaret
19-08-2014, 10:21 PM
poster 72 nice pic of Bambooclaret

Googan
19-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Didn't take LOng for the crusty cretin to start

dy1geo
19-08-2014, 10:32 PM
To be honest it is the lack of variety of our songs that is half to blame. I know it was different on the old Longside but even in the fourth division we had a better array of songs. Now we have, No,Nay Never, Oh Burnerlee is Wonderful, Burnley,Burnley etc. I did think Lancashire home was good however. It needs a group to be imaginative and think up some new songs.

CrustyCrouton
19-08-2014, 10:40 PM
"Didn't take LOng for the crusty cretin to start"

What has big Kev got to do with it?

gondiwindi
20-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Was watching the game on NBC sports in Florida. I'll admit that the environment did appear to sound a bit on the quiet side. The commentators mentioned that Turf Moor was going to be rocking and was a "traditional English football stadium". During my last live game a few years ago I noticed that the environment was bit dull. I expected more with a home game vs. Leeds.

Agree that the lads did the club and fans proud.

dobson
20-08-2014, 07:59 AM
I agree with Boliclaret (post 61) letís get all the singers in one place , I posted about this in 2006 and I have resurrected my thoughts again, it still applies today.

ĎOver the years I have sat in all four stands at Turf Moor and the most atmospheric is The Bob Lord Stand.

You sit opposite the Long Side and when the crowd are in full voice the noise directed at you makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Itís good now but not as good as when the Long Side was all standing. The singers could then all congregate in one area and the volume was therefore dramatically increased.

Iím old enough to remember the popular Burnley End being the Belvedere End in what is now the Cricket Field Stand and at big matches and European nights in particular in the 60ís the atmosphere was electric and the noise deafening, I suppose the best place to stand to hear all this would have been the Bee Hole End (Jimmy Mac nowadays)

I now sit in the Bob Lord Stand and of course have to listen

the_quoon
20-08-2014, 08:14 AM
"Drums, bugles, claxons,"

no.

none of these things.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
20-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Drums and gimmicks no thanks!!!!

Do Palace have a singing section? They seem to be a club that standout creating a decent atmosphere at home.

LancasterClaret
20-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Which club had/has a massive air raid siren that sounded every time they had a corner?

Bat**** mental idea whichever one it was.

claret78
20-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Steve Harpers Perm. For someone who wanted that snake Owen Coyle to return before Dyche was appointed I take everything you say with a pinch of salt.

"Is that because we have the smallest ground perhaps?! Your posts just get stranger and stranger.

Last week you said Dyche was obviously bricking it now he's going to have to do it on his own as your accusing most Burnley fans it would seem of just being happy to watch us get beat by the 'big' clubs!" "

First point- we sold out on the day of the game- I hardly think the capacity of Turf Moor had any bearing on what crowd we pulled.

Secondly, all I said was that Dyche must be concerned that he's only going into the Premier League season with Long as cover, so he's signed Ward so Mee can be used at centre half should there be a need. I asked if you thought Dyche was happy with just having Long and am still waiting for a reply.

Thirdly my comment about being happy just turning up was in response to the poster above my reply which I q

braindead
20-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Personally I think that, unless the crowd are booing the players constantly and getting on the their backs, which generally we don't do, the singing and chanting by the fans has no real effect on the players' performances?

I wouldn't have thought that it makes the slightest difference to any result.

TuftyBeamish
20-08-2014, 10:45 AM
"Which club had/has a massive air raid siren that sounded every time they had a corner?"

Lincoln City. I think it was John Beck inspired.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
20-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Claret78 more ramblings of a madman!!!

wherewasi
20-08-2014, 10:59 AM
FWIW, I think our support is sh1t. Like a f3ck1n' morgue. I don't know if it's specific to the character of the average Burnley person, the fact that no person with half a brain cell would sing what limited number of songs we have or what it's all about but I'd agree.

I went to see Lechia Gdansk recently and they have two lads with mics and two with drums and they kept the ultra end going non-stop for the whole 90 minutes. What a racket! I've always been against that sort of choreographed noise, but hearing their noise against ours, for the first time I'm certainly prepared to countenance it. Earplugs could be handed out to the denizens of the various mausolea on the other sides of the ground so as not to disturb their slumber.

claretsintheprem
20-08-2014, 11:21 AM
the simple answer is football is dying in england. stoke, for example, used to be renowned for its atmosphere but now there are empty seats and much less singing than i experienced when we played there last time. apart from a few EPL clubs (usually the ones punching above their weight)most grounds are soulless. i put it down to all seater stadiums and high ticket prices.

if we're like that when united come, they'll S**t us.

CrustyCrouton
20-08-2014, 02:25 PM
People on here saying that from watching on TV the atmosphere sounded good, I have since re-watched the footage on Sky and can confirm that the TV coverage most certainly flatters us.

From the back of the Longside it was shocking compared to what we have experienced in games past.

AdamGBFC
22-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Mark Lawrenson on us; "Burnley's fans were tremendous on Monday and I am sure they will be like that in every game.

People get too worked up about this stuff.