PDA

View Full Version : Michael Duff

Bin_Ont_Turf
18-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Reet as a clock tonight, superb.

It's just a pity the other three around him weren't as good as they normally are in that first half.

As always, proud to be a Claret.

mgill87
18-08-2014, 09:43 PM
He did well :)

permafrost
18-08-2014, 09:46 PM
indeed BOT, reliable, and a good football brain.

BobLordsFridge
18-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Agree.

Interesting that the two the fans worried about (Duff and Mee) were both better defensively than the two nobody is taling about replacing.

Thought Shacks was particularly poor.

Bin_Ont_Turf
18-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Shackell had quite a few dodgy moments, but I'm not going to get worried about that.

The man is quality and will be reet. ;)

Steve_Harpers_Perm
18-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Pick of the defence tonight bar his poor header that led to their first. Certainly dispelled the myth on here that he isn't good enough.

Gatwique
18-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Quality stuff from the old guy tonight,certainly proved me wrong !

timmeh14
18-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Well done Michael.

Wasn't convinced about his re-signing but my god he proved me wrong and was great tonight!

2nd best after Arfield maybe.

Keep it up!

rhinosleeds
18-08-2014, 10:06 PM
I thought Duff was excellent tonight, have to hold my hand up and say that I was wrong about him, judging after seeing a few of the pre-season games.

warksclaret
18-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Considering we have been trying to buy Dawson to fill his shoes for a month now , he was immense.Seems better now than when we were last in the Premier

Claret4ver
18-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Interesting perspective on Mee - I think we saw the reason he bought Ward tonight. Its all a matter of perspective but I thought Mee was the weak link tonight

shulgin
18-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Thought Duff had a very good pre season and looks like he looks after himself physically. Will be a long season for him due to age. Impressive tonight and not overawed. Still need another CB but Duff is the man for the moment.

steddyman
18-08-2014, 10:21 PM
You're not alone. I thought Mee and Jones were the week links tonight. Duff was immense was he was last time were at this level.

We won't face many teams that have somebody of the quality of Cesc Fabregas tonight. He was the big difference.

Darthlaw
18-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Certainly looked up to the job against the team I think will win the league.

Still need quality competition though to keep him and Shackell on their toes.

Pieandapint
18-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Thought Jones shaded Marney, just. Too much time needed on the ball and they were so quick of thought that any delay by is in possession and they'd read it.

Duff was easily pick of the back four today. Will he be right for a whole season, I doubt it but not through a lack of trying.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
18-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Mee looked shaky first half but don't think Taylor offered him enough support defensively.

MDWat
18-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Mee was super in the air all night.

Duff, by a distance, our best defender.

distortiondave
18-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Mee had a good game. He was left too exposed too often either by design (lord knows we can't criticise Dyche for anything) or by his midfield in the first half.

No mistake though, if Chelsea needed to score 6 to win the league they would have done.

Bin_Ont_Turf
18-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Ben Mee is completely made of sinew.

A modern day hard man. B)

LancasterClaret
18-08-2014, 10:42 PM
He was brilliant tonight

JinkingJames
18-08-2014, 10:45 PM
He nearly got castrated by Costa. He was sound tonight. Jones and Marney didn't get any time tonight so it kept coming back to Duff.

SNB
18-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Duff's a class act as I've said on here before. He's improved with age. Reads the game well and doesn't give the opponent he's marking an easy time at all. 10 out of 10 for effort, commitment and skill.

Unfortunately I can't see Mee lasting at this level unless he has someone with pace in front of him to support. Taylor doesn't have the speed or defensive qualities to do that job. Mee stands way too far off his man. At one point I thought we were playing with three centre backs and no left back. Leaves huge gaps out wide.

Having said that I could see him providing cover in the centre where his lack of pace won't catch him out as much.

sheffieldturfite
18-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Costa suits Duffo whereas the quicker strikers will not, but he did well tonight.

Jamb0MackemClaret
18-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Duff did really well, but then Costa is probably the ideal sort of forward for him to face. Really physical and loves a scrap - Duff played him well. Worries about his pace were pretty unfounded, but then we were defending so deep at times there was no space in behind anyway.

Mee, I felt, struggled. First two goals came from his area and his marking for Ivanovic's goal was simply substandard. And that backpass was poor. But he did improve and he was solid in the air.

KarenClaret
18-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Duff was outstanding tonight! Not phased at all by some of the best strikers in the world looming down on him!
Brilliant!
Mee was outclassed tonight.

LoveCurryPies
18-08-2014, 11:23 PM
I thought both Duff and Mee put in a good game. They seemed calm and didn't rush or squander shots, unlike a couple of other players.

CrustyCrouton
18-08-2014, 11:29 PM
I won't lie, I was one of the ones who was expecting him to be found out tonight.

Once more I can only take my hat off to the guy, MOM for me, did very little wrong and showed he is still more than capable of cutting it when needed at this level.

Having said that, I would still like to have some competition coming in for him.

Swanson
18-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Think I would rather have Duff as first choice centre back and sign a backup - after watching so many crap highly rated centrebacks in the premier league I would rather have Duff every day of the week.

Holtyclaret
19-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Duffo was a real presence at the back but I cant agree that aimlessly hoofing the ball upfield is good defensive play. It always went directly to the opposition and is very 'fourth division'.

All the players were at it and it needs to be eradicated from our play or we will suffer every week in this league.

Biggest plus for me was getting the first half out of the way. The lads were blowing heavily after ten minutes though a mix of adrenalin and nerves. We don't have to be scared anymore and I think this shone in the second half.

Hope we do Swansea on Saturday to really settle the nerves.

UTC

Walton
19-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Duff was in top form last night. Mee wasn't good enough all round I'm afraid, and for me Shackell looked really, really nervous.

ClaretMani
19-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Yes I've criticised Duff previously but thought he had a good game last night.
Shacks and Tripps had some good and bad moments but it was Mee that was the disappointment of the back 4 for me. Terrible back pass, put others in trouble a few times too when treating the ball like a hot potato.
All round not a bad team performance but I can't help thinking Chelsea toon pity on us in the 2nd half and reverted back to 1st gear mode. UTC

army88
19-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Can't beleive people singling Mee out for criticism on here,

Left exposed many times in the game , *******ed by captain fantastic ( who wasn't incidentally - distribution and decision making is poor from Shackell).

Was at fault for ivanovic goal granted , but after that he barely wastes a ball , always tries to give it to our man , never just shells it away etc, great header of a ball, tries to get it down and play things easy.
fact is we got overrun by the best midfield in premiership, hardly Mee s fault.
As for duff he was very good last night , but most of there attacking threat was in behind our full backs , when it goes down the middle you'll all be slating Duff as well.

IanMcL
19-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Duff keeps it simple. Watch the ball and head it or stick the toe in at the right moment.

Never mesmerised by quick feet.

The othrs were awestruck.

Boliclaret
19-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Duff was superb, Shacks was uncharacteristically sloppy and I thought Mee grew into the game after a shakey first 35 mins.

Thought Mee and Trips had good 2nd halfs.

The Bedlington Terrier
19-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Duffer was calmness personified, the other four need time to adjust. Duff has seen it all before, the others haven't!

BelialofBacup
19-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Duff best defender by far. Trips and Mee got found out a few times, but let's face it, anyone could do with who they were having to mark. Shacks had a poor game for his standards - looke very nervous. One thing I was disappointed with was the long balls..it seemed as if Chelsea shocked the players that much that it took a bit of the passing element out of their thought. Long ball after long ball just wasn't going to get us anywhere against such a good side, though admittedly, no matter which route we took it wasn;t going to be easy. Glad we got it out of the way though, onwards and upwards

claretspice
19-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Duff was the glue that held us together at times when we could have completely disintegrated.

As for Mee, I thought he had a bit of a nightmare in the first half but showed huge character to pull himself together after the break.

Admittedly, he got precious little help from Taylor in front of him, who struggled alarmingly when it came to tracking the reasonably orthodox attacking threat of Ivanovic.

But it wasn't just Mee's defending from the set piece for the third that was sub-standard, or the backpass: I thought he was clinging on by his fingertips throughout, and his defending for the equaliser, when he was really slow to get out to stop the cross, was probably a harsh lesson in how alert you have to be at this level.

andy_1986
19-08-2014, 09:12 PM
I personally thought Duff was very solid, but gave the ball a way far to easily. He looked to go long most times when he received the ball. Inevitably this meant Child a could then start another attack putting g the team under pressure. We could get a way with this when in the Championship, but we won't in the EPL. Definitely good back up, but we do need a long time replacement.