PDA

View Full Version : Well played Burnley

pstotto
18-08-2014, 11:33 PM
Took the lead, OK a few defensive mistakes cost us the match, but only a world class save kept it at 3-1, goal attempts Chelsea 9 Burnley 8, on taget 3-2.

First game in the Premier league against a squad of global internationals that could have challenged for the World Cup.

This is Burnley playing in the Champions League never mind the premiership, and on their first day.

We will leanr from this and progess. Well played Burnley!

gogogadgetlegs
18-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Bang on the money.

permafrost
18-08-2014, 11:36 PM
Agreed.

Swanson
18-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Totally agree, was like playing in the champions league and we were not out of it, to have so similar amount of chances is an amazing feat.

pstotto
18-08-2014, 11:47 PM
And just to put some linear perspective on it... Burnely 36 Chelsea 29 on the head-to-head score.

Pieandapint
18-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Not sure of exact numbers but heard some stat tonight that BFC has spent 40 or so million in transfers... Ever!

Chelsea's bench was worth more tonight.

thelifeofbrian
19-08-2014, 09:36 AM
we should be proud of the lads tonight

belgianclaret
19-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Hear hear.

We've played against this season's champions, mark my word

ClaretandBrown
19-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Chelsea will give out some big hammerings to some teams on that performance and we will look back on this game as a good performance. Onwards and upwards UTC

Marin
19-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Spot on, I think the future looks good. Got a snide text from a Manu mate, I had to remind him we played the 350 million champions elect, not Swansea. UTC

notnowbernard
19-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Agreed, in fact so much so I was and still am a bit disappointed. After our goal it seemed like we didn't believe we should be in front and the centre of our penalty area for their first looked a bit like Custer's last stand.

The point about learning from last night is huge we absoltely should have the confidence and belief we can compete, with a bit more of both last night we would have had a result & I'm sure it won't be lost on the manager. Well done boys.

MG70
19-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Well played indeed, as someone said on another thread, Chelsea were frightening at times last night. There were times when we just couldn't cope with the movement and passing of Chelsea, especially in that period when they scored their 3 goals. The lead up to Scherles goal was sublime.

There was no disgrace in that result, in fact we played really well in places. I think we'll do well this season. My only gripe about last night was those electronic advertising boards.

pstotto
19-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Yes, MG70, absolutely awful, literally raping the mind with their computer graphic pulsing punches meeted out on the poor fans who have to suffer their visual karate. They should be banned. I'm surprised players don't complain about them distracting them from playing football.

Boliclaret
19-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Seeing the advertising was a bit surreal at first, as was the location of the tunnel.

Very interesting night allround. Great to see us back in the Prem.

davemanu2000
21-08-2014, 07:32 AM
There is a great difference of the level of football played at the Championship and EPL . Of course our players need some time for adaptability as not many have played in the Premier League . The players should have learnt their first lesson already .For 17 minutes we had a floppy defence The adverse players took advantage of it and scored thrice .Afterwards our defence recovered .
I have said elsewhere that we should not get entangled in the web of panic and bow down to abject criticism . we are Burnley and burnley will prove their real worth in the coming matches .

SussexDon1
21-08-2014, 07:42 AM
agree with OP.

Reflecting on the performance I completely satisfied that the lads gave 100% and their 1st and 3rd were a touch lucky.

In SD I believe

UTC

CnBtruntru
21-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Totally agree with Op, there was also a statement made by the chosen one regarding his players are not actually fully fit yet so that is the reason they were quieter in the second half, I also believe that the other reason is whenever they came over the half way line in the second half we already had 10-11 players running back to defend, making it hard for Chelski to actually move and pass the ball like they did in the first half, anyway we have learnt a good lesson on Monday if we score first defend in numbers for 15 minutes after we have scored, also you do not have the time on the ball same as the championship as our midfielders found out.