PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea took their foot off in second half--mercifully

blueheeler1
19-08-2014, 12:56 AM
Chelsea will be there are thereabout in the title race this year--total class no doubt.

We gave it a real go and all the talk about us not getting close enough to effectively close players down is fair comment.

But its hard to when the opposition can hold the ball and have enough options around the park to make 30+ passes in one move.

Obviously the secret to Prem survival is to win or draw those games that offer us the best opportunity. Hopefully there is enough of them!

From this one game I thought that Arfield looked most like a a Prem player for Burnley.

Robus
19-08-2014, 02:58 AM
Do you keep heelers? Have three myself.

blueheeler1
19-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Sure Do Robus--but just the one--that's hard enough work!
Can't seem to attach a photo but she is pretty which contrasts to her attitude at times.
:)

3putt
19-08-2014, 07:41 AM
You are absolutely right with that comment, they did indeed ease off in the second half thankfully, they could of embarrassed us had they really gone for it.

Also agree that Arfield was very good indeed.

What was most apparent from their possession and passing was how they kept the ball on the deck virtually all the time rather than hoofing long hopeful passes. We could learn from that.

nonayclaret
19-08-2014, 08:59 AM
I agree. We worked better with on-the-ground build up than hoofing. Same as ever.

blueheeler1
19-08-2014, 11:13 AM
I suspect that we were acting on instructions to hoof the ball forward.

Chelsea are a big team and the concept might have been to have them turning.

It didn't look pretty and we lost possession far too easily with that method.

We did score our goal keeping it on the deck until the last pass.

We weren't disgraced although I think had the obvious penalty been given against us the score might have been higher than just 1-4.

But we move on.

Not all teams are Chelsea.

Redbeard
19-08-2014, 11:18 AM
It was an obvious dive ; not a penalty.

Lino and ref were spot on.

claptrappers_union
19-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Chelsea gave a professional performance, the way they scored those three goals I was bracing myself for five or six or so by full time.

Did they take their foot off the gas? Maybe, I don't know. But they'll come to Burnley expecting to win and thats what they did. Mission Accomplished.

As for Burnley, theres no need to be discouraged but its going to be a tough season.

Mattster
19-08-2014, 12:22 PM
I don't buy in to the thinking that Chelsea took their foot off in the second half. Does anyone honestly believe that a side (and manager) that wants to win the title would think

"You know what, lads? We could get ourselves a +5 goal difference here that could be really useful later on but let's not bother. We've another game in 5 days after all"

I think we just got over the panic that followed their goals.

IanMcL
19-08-2014, 03:32 PM
There were times when they sliced us open in the second half and instead of continuing to penetrate, just stopped and passed it back again.

I think we were spared.