PDA

View Full Version : Steve Cotterill comments on Agard

rushy1979
21-08-2014, 09:44 AM
From BCFC website

Were delighted to sign Kieran and Im even more pleased that hes decided to come to us for footballing reasons.

He fits into our wage structure and hes actually come here for less money than he could have got elsewhere in the Championship.

Am I the only one that smells the poop here? What a crock...

Personally I'd like to say thank you to Agard for his goals and effort over the last few seasons to get us where we are but disappointed that his advisors appear to have let money do the talking not footballing reasons!

I also hope that he can continue the goalscoring form as I backed Bristol City to win league 1 at 8-1 before the start of the season!

Johno2012
21-08-2014, 09:50 AM
I just posted the same on the other Agard thread, totally agree!

IF thats true then Kieron Agard has no ambition and lacks belief in his own abilty.

rushy1979
21-08-2014, 09:58 AM

IF thats true then Kieron Agard has no ambition and lacks belief in his own abilty.

Just seen your post Johno, very disappointing indeed!

swintondude
21-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Or perhaps Agard knows his own standard and believes League 1 is his best option. He is an unknown quantity in the championship. Why go for less money to a lower league?

He's not for us at this level, best to get rid while he has some value. Thanks for the goals, but we move onwards and upwards while agard moves downwards, what ambition!

RedAnt
21-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Or maybe Cotterill sees him as an out and out striker? It's clear Agard wants to play that role, isn't happy that we're overlooking him and constantly after strengthening up front, and doesn't want to play as a right winger. I would guess that this was also a sticking point with Leeds, and that there were no other Championship clubs looking at him as a striker either.

Paul Taylor looks a much better player, better touch and control and is a Championship player.

950k is an absolutely brilliant fee for a player who Steve Evans brought in for League Two for nothing.

ida
21-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Totally agree with this and what Swinton says. If it aint true than Agard is telling himself porkys!

Glad hes gone. Nothing but a distraction for the last month.

rushy1979
21-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Or maybe Cotterill sees him as an out and out striker? It's clear Agard wants to play that role, isn't happy that we're overlooking him and constantly after strengthening up front, and doesn't want to play as a right winger. I would guess that this was also a sticking point with Leeds, and that there were no other Championship clubs looking at him as a striker either.

Paul Taylor looks a much better player, better touch and control and is a Championship player.

950k is an absolutely brilliant fee for a player who Steve Evans brought in for League Two for nothing.

Fair points RedAnt, it would suggest that Baldock is about to leave BCFC and that Cotterill sees Agard as his replacement.

Personally for me he never looked as effective up top as he did out wide but time will tell if he's made the right move. We deffo can't complain about the fee for someone that Evans took off the scrapheap.

thaimillerfan
21-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Firstly I think what ambitions do Rotherham have When Bristol City cough up nearly a Million without a blink of an eye for Agard and we haven't spent 1 million hardly on all our team.

WorcestershireMiller
21-08-2014, 12:00 PM
In Evans we trust,

We might need the money in the bank to pay for Taylor, lets hope Taylor scores on Saturday.

millerman_in_newyork
21-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Good luck to the lad. He's been a great servant to this football club and vice versa. There were a lot of doubters on here when SE saw something in him but he came on leaps and bounds under SE and his coaching staff and neither promotion would have been achieved without him-a consistent, reliable scorer who tracks back and gives his all.

If the money is used to bring in more quality wherever SE sees fit, everyone's a winner and here's hoping that Smallwood will be the first of a few of those type of signings.

Shawshank
21-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Firstly I think what ambitions do Rotherham have When Bristol City cough up nearly a Million without a blink of an eye for Agard and we haven't spent 1 million hardly on all our team.
Or maybe we're just a better club than that?

djsld
21-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Good luck to the lad. He's been a great servant to this football club and vice versa. There were a lot of doubters on here when SE saw something in him but he came on leaps and bounds under SE and his coaching staff and neither promotion would have been achieved without him-a consistent, reliable scorer who tracks back and gives his all.

If the money is used to bring in more quality wherever SE sees fit, everyone's a winner and here's hoping that Smallwood will be the first of a few of those type of signings.

Good call ..

At the end of the day he came here for free, his goals have fired us into the championship and he has just left us for nigh on a million quid.. Now in my book, that is one heck of a good piece of business.

Thank you for everything you have given us Kieron and all the best in the future. Just don't come back and score against us ;D

jolly_roger
21-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Yes good business.

We will never know the true ins and outs of this deal but I suspect that towards the end Agard burned his bridges with Steve Evans so a departure was inevitable.

If you dont give 100% commitment to SE and the club then you are history.

Which is the way it should be.

MarkThomas
21-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Good luck Kieran Agard.

What a fantastic contribution he made to two promotions. The warmth of the crowd's reception for him against Wolves shows the fondness held for him by the majority.

Speculation over transfers is pointless. He did a great job for us and we now have a good return on our investment in him. Both parties have benefited hugely from his time with us.

He will remain one of my favourites, goals and performances which lead to promotion deserve their place on the top table.

In particular, I remember his decisive goal and somersault against Fleetwood at home in L2, his wonderful long run outpacing the Bradford defence and keeper to put us 2-0 up at Valley Parade, his brilliantly instinctive and crucial goal at Plymouth, his late,late winner at Carlisle timing his run to perfection, his hat-trick at Wolves. His brave yet cool walk from the half way line to score our first penalty against Leyton Orient at Wembley. And finally on the football front, his skill retaining pos

gambles
21-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Hi all,
Why was Agard so desperate to leave us?You would have thought he would want to play at championship level.Did he want to return south or are there other reasons .Seems money was not the reason I'm baffled.

Merman
21-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi all,
Why was Agard so desperate to leave us?You would have thought he would want to play at championship level.Did he want to return south or are there other reasons .Seems money was not the reason I'm baffled.

Yes it did seem a bit strange, after the euphoria of Wembley he seemed to make a quick decision to reject a new contract. Has something happened with SE? Was he genuinely apprehensive about whether he could cut the Championship? Or was it something else?

Whatever the reasons close to 1m is a very good piece of business for us and whether it's a good move for him remains to be seen. We are left wondering where the goals will come from but we spent most of last season screaming for a goalscorer whilst Agard was banging 26 in. Who will do the job this season? who knows. I can't see anyone scoring 26 but 12 months ago who thought Agard would.

riccallmiller
22-08-2014, 09:29 AM
He wanted to partner Revell up front and also take the pens. He could not accept No.