PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone see where the goals will come from

bogsdollox
21-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Evans is always preaching the ethic of hard work but in this league we need a little more than effort .Lets face it we are really going to struggle to score goals this season so why do we pay £350K for a striker and not play him? .
This is not a Revell witchunt but look at the stats - barely a handfull of goals in Lge2 and the same last season so why do we expect him to do any better this year? We continue to play a player that encourages us to play hoofball.
As we lack confidence in possession maybe its the way out by playing the long ball but time and time again it comes straight back at us.
Take the Wolves game - we were so desperate we played for time in the corner with 10 mins remaining - when we scored you would have thought we had won the cup final,so relieved were the team to get a goal.
Come on Evans lets look to play the sort of football we played last season because if we continue as we started the season im afraid the fans will vote with their feet and the team will die fro

jolly_roger
21-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Somewhere on the pitch I should imagine.

martinthemiller1968
21-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Need to give Bowery a chance to say he is our record signing evans does not seem keen on playing him.

swintondude
21-08-2014, 01:25 PM
The best striker I have seen at New York recently was Hitchcock, took some beautiful goals and had bags more style and quality than Agard, just never got the chance, shame really.

millertop
21-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Already a thread up

shshsh22
21-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Optimism,thats what i like

ida
21-08-2014, 01:47 PM
not a clue!

TH was classy but he would never score enough at this level at this stage in his development-ask Harry Redknap if any doubts.

Bowery, Derbyshire, et al, simply must not be impressing in training.

Unless someone starts scoring and we get quality balls in the box its gunna be a bloody nail biting horrid season.

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
21-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Need to give Bowery a chance to say he is our record signing evans does not seem keen on playing him.

He's looked awful from what I've seen of him, maybe he's not showing enough in training yet?

Hope I'm wrong about him, but ATM I'm not expecting much.

DavidR__9
21-08-2014, 02:10 PM
[quote="bogsdollox"]Evans is always preaching the ethic of hard work but in this league we need a little more than effort .Lets face it we are really going to struggle to score goals this season so why do we pay £350K for a striker and not play him? .
This is not a Revell witchunt but look at the stats - barely a handfull of goals in Lge2 and the same last season so why do we expect him to do any better this year? We continue to play a player that encourages us to play hoofball.
As we lack confidence in possession maybe its the way out by playing the long ball but time and time again it comes straight back at us.
Take the Wolves game - we were so desperate we played for time in the corner with 10 mins remaining - when we scored you would have thought we had won the cup final,so relieved were the team to get a goal.
Come on Evans lets look to play the sort of football we played last season because if we continue as we started the season im afraid the fans wil

Whippet
21-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Glad this is not a Revel witch hunt, as while he's not a prolific goal scorer he is a good goal provider and his hard work does and will take pressure off us. If Revel is not on the pitch to win and hold the ball up and defend from the front then I fear wave after wave of opposition attack in many games.

Yeah, it's disappointing that we didn't get May and that we've lost Agard, but we do have a player in Taylor (who has gone for well over £1m in the past) and he should be able to score goals.

The jury is out on Derbyshire and the lad from Villa, but we are only three games in.

Personally, in terms of signings, I think that instead of going for quantity we should have gone for quality - and particularly focused on signing Tavs. But what's done is done.

It will be interesting to see how Brentford get on, as they seem to have taken the quality over quantity approach signing a couple of very expensive players rather than a raft of "experienced" Championship players.

You can not doubt

DavidR__9
21-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Personally, in terms of signings, I think that instead of going for quantity we should have gone for quality - and particularly focused on signing Tavs. But what's done is done.

Trouble is, our ground is about the smallest in the division, so we can't compete in terms of wages. Even if you take the view that TS' bankrolls us to an extent, at this level, where £10K a week is pretty common from what you hear, it's already starting to be a case of needing a billionaire backer, than the sort of thing a really successful businessman can support.

I think we probably did as much as we could to get Tavernier here. Getting Smallwood is, to my mind, a real coup. I can't believe Middlesborough didn't want him, nor any of the other bigger/more established teams.

Brentford is a good example of the "other" way of doing it, but they'd built a close to Championship quality squad over a few years, so possibly didn't need as many additions as we,

jolly_roger
21-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Optimism,thats what i like[/quote]

All of the best goal scorers are sitting in the West stand (or so they think) ;D

stevenorth60
21-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Optimism,thats what i like[/quote]

All of the best goal scorers are sitting in the West stand (or so they think) ;D[/quote]

or at Bristol City.

armo12
21-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Well said that man revel cant score enough.bowery should be playing.this huff ball is rubbish.pringle should be left newton should be playing.brindley should be playing.broadfoot is a centerhalf .no pace at back .how many games can we play this way. Sort this out mr evens you have the money to put this wright.

jolly_roger
21-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Just a personal opinion but I reckon Bowery will turn out to be a damp squib.

Not good enough

crookadile
21-08-2014, 03:45 PM

Not good enough

One season wonder at Chesterfailed wasn't he?

CAMiller
21-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Not good enough

I did see him recently in a list of Villa's top 10 worst ever signing so it doesn't bode too well but then again like Agard he is young and raw and maybe a bit of support and a bit of luck and he'll prove everyone wrong.

DavidR__9
21-08-2014, 04:23 PM
You can't coach someone to be taller, and it's to coach them to be pacier. Everything else you can work on.

Pistolpete
21-08-2014, 05:47 PM
I have seen Bowery 3 times now and although uninspired initially I thought he looked a different player against Donny. I think we will look back when we sell this kid for big money the exact same way we are now looking back at Agard. He has massive potential and like Agard did not shine straight away. I see something in Bowery that makes me sure he will play a huge part in our future. And hope someone saves this message to prove I was right!! Because I know I am!!

manicmiller
21-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Agreed. I also saw something in him at Doncaster - he couldn't hit the proverbial barn door. But, there's undoubtedly something there. He's big, quick and strong and has a reasonable first touch for a big lad. He needs to realise the extent of his physical attributes and start to use them to impose himself on defenders. All that's then needed is for him to develop a bit of composure in front of goal and I think we might have something really special on our hands. As others have said Agard took a while to find his feet. What part did our management team play in that? Dunno, but if was down to them there's every chance the improvement needed in Bowery will come along. Let's hope so

DavidEdinburgh
21-08-2014, 06:29 PM
I said on here after friendlies that Bowery didnít look good enough and would be off to Bury, and that Agard looked by far our best striker. In my opinion we either had to sign May or keep Agard and preferably both. Now we have neither Ė we need one, maybe two additional strikers to play alongside Revs or we are in deep poo.

manicmiller
21-08-2014, 06:51 PM
That implies we have to play two up top and I think there will be times we can't do that. We need someone who can play the lone striker role and take a reasonable percentage of chances that drop their way. I don't think we are going to profit whilst ever Revs is the lone striker. If Bowery steps up to the table he has all the other attributes to play the role.

RedAnt
21-08-2014, 07:13 PM
If Brandy, Hall, Derbyshire, Bowery and Taylor, buy into the Evans way, then they will all be an improvement on what we had, and that includes Agard. I do think it may take time for the penny to drop with them, and a couple may fall by the wayside, as, it seems, is the case for the left back curse that has afflicted Sadler. But if Bowery were to reach his obvious potential, then I would expect him to become hot property in this division.

walter10
21-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Good grief. Steve Evans must be god awful rank as a manager. How on earth does he get a job in football.

AdidasSantiago
21-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Wind the clock back 2 years and those wise old sages Zilzal and Mandy, among others, were saying how Agard was never a footballer etc, etc...how things have changed in those 2 years eh !

With the physical attributes that Bowery has, he could well be the one that steps up to the plate once he is fully up to speed with Evans' style of play. Don't forget the lad has been only been playing reserve football while at Villa.

Patience...they will come.

Derbymiller
21-08-2014, 09:15 PM
bowery is a big lad that likes the ball at his feet, when he gets it at his feet he looks ok and I think could justify the transfer fee. Unfortunately we assume a tall striker wants the ball long in the air like revell, that is why we didn't get the best out of vukic. You cant play the same style of football now agard has gone, get it on the floor and use the quality in midfield to pass and move. Long ball will get us relegated. Evans is no fool and he will see this and change, have the faith

jebu
22-08-2014, 08:07 AM
I will be honest, I'm getting nervous. That said, as I've been working out in Canada I've only seen the Derby away match so will hold fire on criticism.

My main concerns going into the season were full backs and a lack of pace in defence. I thought we would do well in attack and score goals. The reason I'm nervous is because our weakness at the back exists still (despite Arnie playing fantastic and using his positional sense to great effect) but most importantly we now look to be struggling to score.

I would say the following has contributed to this..

1) Losing our leading goalscorer
2) Losing out on our main striker target
3) Strikers at the club not scored yet
4) Midfielders having less time on the ball to create
5) Our goalscoring midfielders less likely to score in championship
6) Playing more defensively due to quality of the opposition
7) Conceding a lot of possession, due to quality of opposition

Certainly no panic stations but I'm sure Evans recognises the above points and

millertop
22-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Agree with Derbymiller.
We know how good Bowery can be (ATM though I'm preferring Derbyshire)!but it's not going to happen while we insist on playing long ball, I did let everyone know this around me on Tues ;D

The sooner Evans sorts that out the better IMO, we have to slightly change our style and get the players to read each other, that will only happen when we establish who plays best with who.

gazisamiller
22-08-2014, 09:11 AM
I'd say that part of our problem is that we play very narrow and in doing so we won't see the best of Revell or Bowery who are decent in the air.

Even with 3 in the middle against Watford, Pringle and Taylor still had the tendency to come inside (not helped by the fact they were playing on the opposite sides), which made the central areas very congested. That, coupled with the fact that neither Broadfoot or Skarz are great at getting on the overlap, meant we never really got a decent ball into the box.

I think you'd see a massive difference if we played with two out and out wide players, or at least had a full back or two that could get to the byline.

We aren't going to football teams to death in this division and we aren't going to play through teams, so we certainly need to try and play the channels and make use of having someone with Revell's aerial ability in the box