PDA

View Full Version : Welcome down the Den Millers...

claw84
21-08-2014, 03:32 PM
and welcome to the Championship. It's good to see new blood in the League, come on down on Sat and experience a great atmosphere (we need the money).

Think you will stay up, and should be a great game. The best team will win. ;D ;D ;D

ashbynick
21-08-2014, 03:45 PM
If you need the money then stock up on pies - you`ll do a great trade. We might not be the best Footy team in the world but when it comes to pie eating we are champions league

crookadile
21-08-2014, 03:47 PM
If you need the money then stock up on pies - you`ll do a great trade. We might not be the best Footy team in the world but when it comes to pie eating we are champions league

Gotta be Pukka though.
Non of that Soft Southern Pie & Mash rubbish.;D

PokerMillersSwinton
21-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks Claw

I will be there reckon 400 or so other millers as well.

P.s can you have a word with you neanderthal fans and tell them not to lob stuff at the bus windows please. I don't fancy 200 miles with the air con on extra breezy up the M1,
tarr.;D

CAMiller
21-08-2014, 03:58 PM
and welcome to the Championship. It's good to see new blood in the League, come on down on Sat and experience a great atmosphere (we need the money).

Think you will stay up, and should be a great game. The best team will win. ;D ;D ;D

Typical Millwall fan, looking for blood and threatening to rob us of our hard earned pit money ;D

PS If you see a man with a pair of pants on his head (although he will claim it's a rash vest) then run a mile.

JohnLeedsMiller
21-08-2014, 06:12 PM
I don't think so. Your ground is the only one in the football league that I wouldn't want to go back to. It would have to be an important playoff game or something to drag me there. Its the only ground i have ever been to where a crowd of 200 in the top deck of a stand needed surrounding by riot police with batons and shields to stop the home fans getting in. The approach to the ground is terrible, we came in on the tube and it felt like one word in a Yorkshire accent and i would have been violently attacked. A really horrible part of the country and the capital. Thanks for the invite and I am sure you aren't all nutcases but not for me.

great_fire
21-08-2014, 06:31 PM
I don't think so. Your ground is the only one in the football league that I wouldn't want to go back to. It would have to be an important playoff game or something to drag me there. Its the only ground i have ever been to where a crowd of 200 in the top deck of a stand needed surrounding by riot police with batons and shields to stop the home fans getting in. The approach to the ground is terrible, we came in on the tube and it felt like one word in a Yorkshire accent and i would have been violently attacked. A really horrible part of the country and the capital. Thanks for the invite and I am sure you aren't all nutcases but not for me.

I doubt many Millwall fans live near the ground anymore, they will have moved to Essex like the West Ham and Tottenham fans.

The East End is pretty much all Asian immigrants mainly from Bangladesh.

Solo1885
21-08-2014, 09:05 PM
You're right about the Eastend, although sone of the old, original communities still survive...remember, London boroughs are as big as most UK cities, so even if only 10% of the old Eastend communities survive that's still around 25,000 people. And Millwall still get support from Millwall, Stepney, Wapping etc.

However, Millwall moved over the river to New Cross in 1910, so still in the docklands, but as it's over the river it's not really classified as the Eastend (indeed West Ham do not & never have played in the Eastend, being located too far east of the River Lee, & therefore are simply an east London club; take note BBC).

Millwall's main catchment areas are Bermondsey, Rotherhithe, Deptford, New Cross, Walworth and Lewisham.

Due to a quirk in how boundaries were drawn up & how the council was run Bermondsey is one of the few inner city London areas that protected it's old communities and tightly controlled who got social housing (ie you needed local roots to be top of the list

lion1
21-08-2014, 09:17 PM
good write up solo and yes millwall is the only east end club in orgin and not west ham.

still a lot of Wall in the east end.

Solo1885
21-08-2014, 09:27 PM
good write up solo and yes millwall is the only east end club in orgin and not west ham.

still a lot of Wall in the east end.

To be fair they picked up a bit of local support in the Eastend in the 1960s and 1970s, due to success and the popularity of players like Bobby Moore.

But in the real old local communities you're still as likely to find Millwall (& Arsenal) fans, as West Ham. Footballers Gary Alexander, Gary O'Neil and Darren Purse are all Millwall fans from the Eastend. So that's our generation, despite moving 100 years ago.

Never understood why this isn't reflected in Eastenders, especially as most of the genuine Eastend actors in it are Millwall fans! Guess we're not as likeable as the cheeky hammers! Still, if they programme was accurate in any way, 80% of the cast would be bangledeshi, of the White population half would be Polish, and the old families like the Beales and Mitchells would support Millwall!

Oh well, prob

Georgetown
21-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Against the grain I've always liked Millwall. Proper club with proper fans (apart from the knucklescrapers) On my last visit there I even managed a pint in the Bramcote against the advice from the police who wanted us to stay locked up in the ground from 1pm!

Yep, give me Millwall over the other London clubs any day. Can't see us winning this though now Holloway's got em going.

claw84
21-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks for that Georgetown, hope you get to see the match.

Solo. excellent article on Millwall's catchment area. Your right, every time we get to Wembley we take over 40,000 whereas 2 years ago in FA Cup semi Final Wigan only took 25,000. Sadly they still beat us.

Our first home game our gate was 16,000, what was Rotherhams I wonder.

CTMilller
22-08-2014, 05:16 AM
10,752, Claw84.

A more important statistic for us is the fact that we were playing in a rented athletics stadium in Sheffield three seasons ago pulling in 3-4,000 at best playing Divison Two football.

How well a club is progressing is probably more important than a spot comparison now. You're obviously in pretty good shape and that's great; we're just happy to be in the Championship again, in a proper, state of the art stadium in our home town, pulling in near capacity crowds (and we have an expandable building that will take us up to the 16k mark and beyond if we're able to sustain a place in the Championship.)

All the best for the season except for the obvious and have a good day when you come to South Yorkshire to see our new gaff in February.

I don't think we're likely to repeat what we did on August 10 2002 but I'm hoping for some of that lightning to strike again on Saturday!

On a separate note, I thought Solo 1885's piece on Millwall's crowd demographics was well written an

claw84
22-08-2014, 01:48 PM
[quote="CTMilller"]10,752, Claw84.

A more important statistic for us is the fact that we were playing in a rented athletics stadium in Sheffield three seasons ago pulling in 3-4,000 at best playing Divison Two football.

How well a club is progressing is probably more important than a spot comparison now. You're obviously in pretty good shape and that's great; we're just happy to be in the Championship again, in a proper, state of the art stadium in our home town, pulling in near capacity crowds (and we have an expandable building that will take us up to the 16k mark and beyond if we're able to sustain a place in the Championship.)

All the best for the season except for the obvious and have a good day when you come to South Yorkshire to see our new gaff in February.

I don't think we're likely to repeat what we did on August 10 2002 but I'm hoping for some of that lightning to strike again on Saturday!

On a separate note, I thought Solo 1885's piece on Mi

chris81
23-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Looking forward to the game. It's one of the few games I haven't got to travel all day to get to as I live down south now.
Hoping for a good game between two good teams and hopefully a sneaky Millers win.

ScarboroughMiller
23-08-2014, 10:50 PM
CT people left Rotherham? I have no idea what you mean.. All the best Scarborough Miller.

Btw, great input from the Millwall fans, enjoyed reading that. Thanks. :)