PDA

View Full Version : Who recalls tony towner?

lion1
21-08-2014, 09:21 PM
played for Wall and Rotherham,a good player.

I saw him at the brighton v Millwall game last season,Brighton is his home town.he runs a removeal Company now.

rileyev
21-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Recall him lol.

He's an absolute legend here mucca.

His mate John Seasman weren't bad either. Do you remember him?

He is probably one of the favourite players to ever play for us.

Providing you're over 40 like.

The Tiger!!!!!!!!!!

kevthemaltbymiller
21-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Great player for us, very tricky winger with lightning pace. Happy memories ;D

sawmiller
21-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Tiger was a super player - good winger who created a real buzz in the crowd when he got the ball and ran at players. We bought him from you along with John Seasman - two good signings. Why did you let them both go? Just curious, that's all...

Flicker1
21-08-2014, 09:54 PM
He's john breckins guest for the Middlesbrough game 1st November.

millavanilla
21-08-2014, 10:22 PM
And no shinpads and socks rolled down...

ivor_b_hardy
21-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Tony (Tiger) Towner was one of the best and most talented footballers ever to play for us.
He was instrumental in us winning the league in 80/81 along with doing the "double" over our near neighbours Sheffield United in the same season.
We were lucky to get the services of Towner and Seasman from Millwall, and only did so because the Lions were in financial turmoil that season and had to get some money in fast.
He will always be a legend with the older fans, along with team mates Seasman, Moore, Fern, Breckin, Mountford etc.

Tiger gave us some great memories, and it's only in the last two seasons that the excitement has been equalled/bettered, thirty three years later.

djsld
22-08-2014, 12:50 AM
He's john breckins guest for the Middlesbrough game 1st November.

Get in...

Looking forward to that one.

All together now. "TONY TIGER TOWNER... TONY TIGER TOWNER"...

Happy days indeed

sota
22-08-2014, 02:51 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/2n5bhg.jpg

shshsh22
22-08-2014, 03:43 AM
When he got the ball,the whole stand stood up.Brilliant player,great memories.

lion1
22-08-2014, 06:33 AM
[quote="sawmiller"]Tiger was a super player - good winger who created a real buzz in the crowd when he got the ball and ran at players. We bought him from you along with John Seasman - two good signings. Why did you let them both go? Just curious, that's all...[/quote

We needed the cash, I think also it was thornes regin as director,he baled us out as well,it was dark days and we nearly went bust.

JimmyLallacs
22-08-2014, 06:38 AM
"If there is a better outside right in the UK at this moment than Tony Towner I've yet to see it."
One from the good old days.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nZfwdx9zLA

DK_NY
22-08-2014, 07:25 AM
We are a football club who's singers have liitle originality. When we sign a player, we give him a song adapted from a song we had for one of the departed players.

But the song "Tony Towner is one in a million, one in a million to me to me" has never been used for a subsequent player in the thirty odd years since he left. That sums up what a legend he was.

mikemiller
22-08-2014, 07:53 AM
For many Millers fans Tiger was a hero... Seasman was regarded as a good p[ayer too

Fensmiller
22-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Fantastic days, games and goals that have become legend to us oldies. For me Seasman was a better player than Towner overall. Towner's low centre of gravity due to his stature meant he could dodge, weave and skip past defenders, he was fast too. On the other hand Seasman had the skill for me, deft touches clever flick ons, he had finesse and vision. But Tiger had the excitement, when he got the ball and went on a run the whole crowd roared, and to see him skip round defenders was a real joy

Milkyme
22-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Fantastic days, games and goals that have become legend to us oldies. For me Seasman was a better player than Towner overall. Towner's low centre of gravity due to his stature meant he could dodge, weave and skip past defenders, he was fast too. On the other hand Seasman had the skill for me, deft touches clever flick ons, he had finesse and vision. But Tiger had the excitement, when he got the ball and went on a run the whole crowd roared, and to see him skip round defenders was a real joy

Wasn't it the legendary Derek Dougan who said he couldn't understand why he wasn't playing for England

millertop
22-08-2014, 08:51 AM
I don't recall, I remember Tiger! Great player

botty
22-08-2014, 10:06 AM
Best player I've ever seen in a Millers shirt.

PeteWaller
22-08-2014, 10:21 AM
SIMPLY THE BEST :heart:

michaeldc
22-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Recall him lol.

This.

I was only 1 year old when he left the club but even I somehow remember him! Must be the countless legends I've heard over the years :)

Townerslovechild
22-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Me,he`s mi dad !

Fensmiller
22-08-2014, 12:27 PM

Wasn't it the legendary Derek Dougan who said he couldn't understand why he wasn't playing for England[/quote]

Dougan used to commentate on Yorkshire TV's 'Goals on Sunday', I think it was called, It seemed we were on almost every week and Dougan would rave on in disbelief that Towner was not playing for England...' If theres a better outside right in English football today, I've yet to see him' or

monkfish67
22-08-2014, 01:50 PM
"Tony Towner he's one in a million, one in a million to me, to me..." sang that a few times in the day. Agree with the posts re John Seasman too.

On another note he lived just around the corner to me on Flanderwell and a really nice bloke to boot.

UTM

speedm
22-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Tiger was a brilliant player, but for me John Seasman was even better; the best two players ever to put on a Millers shirt for me!
Towner was a pacy tricky winger who got fans off their seats whereas Season was a classy midfielder, good with both feet.
The best two moments from Towner and Seasman for me were:
1)Tiger turning the Sheff Utd defence inside out and putting a cross on Ronnie's head to score in the Tivoli end
2) Seasman scoring after about 12 seconds( v Crystal Palace, I think?)in the Railway End.
Terrific memories from terrific players:)

stonewaller
22-08-2014, 05:17 PM
His equaliser at Millmoor v Sheff Utd is something I will never forget, cut through the Blades defence like a knife through butter!
Steve Conroys punching that day was magic too.

mikemiller
22-08-2014, 05:28 PM
That Sheffield Utd match was one of my favourite memories of Millmoor. Great performance and goal from Towner. Exciting game, great atmosphere, and a well-deserved Millers win

Ashbournemiller
22-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Every Millers fan should stand and applaud Tiger with great enthusiasm when he is introduced at half time on 1 November. One of the all time greats.
How about a one minute applause at 7 minutes past three as well?

Nardendee
22-08-2014, 06:20 PM
There are good players and there are great players.

I have followed the Millers since 1965 and he is the most exciting player I have ever seen in our colours.

Every time he got the ball there was a buzz.

What a team. Towner, Moore Seasman and Mullen. Rod Fern too.

During that run of 9 straight wins in 81/82 they were unstoppable.

jolly_roger
22-08-2014, 06:34 PM
A great player.

I have an unusual memory concerning him. I used to stand on the terrace near the dugout. Near to me stood a fan called Ron (who was a sandwich shirt of a picnic) and when Towner hadn't got the ball he used to bellow "give it to the boy"

Magically the ball was then passed wide to Towner

dell1525
22-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Let's hope fans stay in their seats and give the guy the reception he deserves.
You can go for a pee anytime.:)

Fensmiller
22-08-2014, 06:57 PM
A great player.

I have an unusual memory concerning him. I used to stand on the terrace near the dugout. Near to me stood a fan called Ron (who was a sandwich shirt of a picnic) and when Towner hadn't got the ball he used to bellow "give it to the boy"

Magically the ball was then passed wide to Towner

Me and my mates used to stand there too, one of the gang swore alot and another had an old shunters trumpet that we would blast when the opposing goalie was about to take a goal kick to try to put him off.

I remember Ron, he use to walk up and down following the linesman giving him the benefit of his understanding of the rules of football, he would also go and berate the opposing teams manager and trainer sat by the dugout. Quite a character, used to drink in the Keppel in Wingfield

jolly_roger
22-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Yeah that's the guy XD

stormmiller
22-08-2014, 07:20 PM
That brought back some some good times to mind loved him as a player i had one of the red tiger t-shirts XD

millavanilla
22-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Yea thats ron...when that team was sold and we ended up with george kerrs grimsby reserves he didnt half give it george..didnt he get invited on the team coach in an effort to shut him up?

Milkyme
22-08-2014, 08:32 PM
There are good players and there are great players.

I have followed the Millers since 1965 and he is the most exciting player I have ever seen in our colours.

Every time he got the ball there was a buzz.

What a team. Towner, Moore Seasman and Mullen. Rod Fern too.

During that run of 9 straight wins in 81/82 they were unstoppable.

Started a year before myself, but your right what a side to watch. Ho what I give for Towner to be playing in this side!

Great players both Tony and Seaaman.

UTM

vespabri
22-08-2014, 09:22 PM
My boyhood heroes...Glenn Hoddle,Steve Coppell,Ronnie Moore & Tony Towner.

Coppell & Towner were the reasons behind me wanting to be a winger..even now i love a great cross more than the actual goal itself.
Crosses are a thing of beauty.
See Pringles cross for Revs last season v Crewe.

DavidEdinburgh
22-08-2014, 09:54 PM
He is simply brilliant, we should indeed recall him now, is he at Bury?

stodgy
22-08-2014, 10:00 PM
if i recall correctly his first game ,was in the cup at bradford,i went, and his first touch he beat about three players,i think rotherham drew 0-0,the following day i went to ladbrokes across from millmoor, and backed them to be top local team at 16-1 and to win the league at 33-1,and dragged over 300,happy days.

Muchthemillersson
22-08-2014, 10:24 PM
I remember getting into conversation with Mark Rhodes some years later and we were talking about Ian Porterfield's management skills. He said that what they were told to do was to pass the ball over the left back's head because Towner would beat him to it. Simple when you've got players like that.

thaimillerfan
23-08-2014, 06:01 AM
The best player Ive seen at Millmoor

Did he kick a divot in front of goal taking a penalty against Man utd Im not sure

crashbang
23-08-2014, 06:22 AM
Probably the bloke who made me a fan.
Whilst laying on the top of the concrete dug out, Whilst my Dad was telling the blokes in there to
"Keep your ****ing language down" Theres kids here.

CAMiller
23-08-2014, 06:40 AM
Probably the bloke who made me a fan.
Whilst laying on the top of the concrete dug out, Whilst my Dad was telling the blokes in there to
"Keep your ****ing language down" Theres kids here.

Were you a late developer Crash because you must have been in your twenties when he signed for us in 1980 XD