PDA

View Full Version : Is the grass greener

jvmiller
22-08-2014, 10:39 AM
I've had this one stored up for about a week.

Kieran Agard is the latest of a long line of Millers strikers who have gone on to big-money moves over the last 20 years or so.

Not all of them have worked out to benefit the player's careers, wage packet aside of course.

I've written something analysing whether those moves have been a failure or success.

Do you think Agard's move will benefit his footballing career?
Have a read, comment, share, criticise, whatever. - view external link (http://bit.ly/1tnqPx8)

DavidR__9
22-08-2014, 10:44 AM
What about Ryan Taylor? If ever a player needed another year in a lower league to get himself established, it was him.

Couldn't begrudge him his move to Bristol, but that just shows how precarious a footballer's career is. Nasty injury, never got a chance to prove himself, now trundling about for Portsmouth (and he's surely better than a fourth division player).

Honourable mention to Justin Jackson, too. Did really well for us on loan, got all giddy about his "proper" status and sank without trace elsewhere.

clarkey1974
22-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Only one that should have gone more for big money than we got and was a success was goater,but we pratically gave hime away at the then current market value...

jvmiller
22-08-2014, 10:47 AM
I knew there'd be at least one I forgot!

TMiller
22-08-2014, 10:48 AM
What about Ryan Taylor? If ever a player needed another year in a lower league to get himself established, it was him.

Couldn't begrudge him his move to Bristol, but that just shows how precarious a footballer's career is. Nasty injury, never got a chance to prove himself, now trundling about for Portsmouth (and he's surely better than a fourth division player).

Honourable mention to Justin Jackson, too. Did really well for us on loan, got all giddy about his "proper" status and sank without trace elsewhere.

Ryan Taylor is the opposite. the others earned their moves whereas I don't think ryan could believe his luck

DavidR__9
22-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Mendonca worth a mention. He did alright for himself. Also, Williamson.

What about Deon Burton, too? The only season he scored any goals was with us.

Byfield? Big move to Sunderland, slumped pretty much afterwards?

Also, there's the opposite (smaller) list. Of those on that list, with the exception of Le Fondre, hardly any were anything before they joined us and we made them good. By contrast, virtually every forward we've signed who you'd sort of heard of (Alf excepted) has gone badly.

Tommy Tynan did brilliantly for Plymouth, not so well for us and left after a bust up of quite spectacular proportions, I think.

Gary Martindale - scored goals for fun at Notts County, then got an injury and became rubbish. Just as we swooped.

Martin Butler - had scored bundles of goals for Walsall and Reading and we tried to pretend he was Alan Lee. By the time we worked out he wasn't, we were pretty much down.

Mark Burchill - supposed to be the next great thing. Looked inadequate on loan in t

Rothbiz
22-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Omar Garcia - absolutely no goalscoring pedigree before, during or after his spell at Rotherham and worth every penny of the zero transfer fees involved.

Galant
22-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Dave Watson - best ever player - big fee at the time - went on to FA cup glory and England fame.
Mostly in recent years the balance is for players to do less well when they leave us - Rueben Reed for example - Lewis Grabban has surprised on the upside though and also Tom Pope.

GijsbertBos
22-08-2014, 12:10 PM
[quote="DavidR__9"]Mendonca worth a mention. He did alright for himself. Also, Williamson.

What about Deon Burton, too? The only season he scored any goals was with us.

Byfield? Big move to Sunderland, slumped pretty much afterwards?

Also, there's the opposite (smaller) list. Of those on that list, with the exception of Le Fondre, hardly any were anything before they joined us and we made them good. By contrast, virtually every forward we've signed who you'd sort of heard of (Alf excepted) has gone badly.

Tommy Tynan did brilliantly for Plymouth, not so well for us and left after a bust up of quite spectacular proportions, I think.

Gary Martindale - scored goals for fun at Notts County, then got an injury and became rubbish. Just as we swooped.

Martin Butler - had scored bundles of goals for Walsall and Reading and we tried to pretend he was Alan Lee. By the time we worked out he wasn't, we were pretty much down.

Mark Burchill - supposed to be the n

Shawshank
22-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Have to disagree with you on a couple of those.

Deon Burton has scored 129 career league goals in his career thus far, 56 of those came before he joined us. He scored 12 at Rotherham so to imply his season with us was the only time he scored goals is a bit silly!

Also think you're being incredibly harsh on Martin Butler. His first season with the club he bagged about 15 goals and was a key player for us and an instrumental part in us staying up in 03/04. He was then floored by illness and pushed back into first team football way before he should've been and never really recovered.
Have to agree with you on both of those points. I think a failure we signed in terms of forwards was definitely Proctor. For his wonderful touch on the ball and ability to turn defenders, he was pretty useless lets be honest.

great_fire
22-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Wally Ardron did great at Forest, still got the record 36 goals in a season.

martinthemiller1968
22-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Whatever happened to will hoskins not heard anything about him for years did he retire.

jolly_roger
22-08-2014, 03:29 PM
I'm always disappointed when a player I like signs for another club but over the years I've took to accepting that it's part of life and being a Miller.

I also accept that for the player involved it's his job and that careers are short, even shorter if he picks up a bad injury. So maximising income had to be top of his list. The Millers will never be megabucks when it comes to wages.

Then there's the ego trip, is it best to be a fans favourite or not? I think this has been an important factor in the Agard transfer. At Leeds it was small fish in big pond, at Bristol it's big fish in small pond. Money I think took second place, plus it might have been a driver as to why he left us, it was no secret that SE wanted to sign a forward that would replace Agard (or Revell). Leeds also signed Sharp so Agard might have been a well paid bench warmer. So eg sent Agard to Bristol.

As for grass being greener? Well we've had a few signings that looked like they smoked the grass and some that were

ExeterMiller
22-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Anyone remember Ian Henderson was it?

Utterly hopeless in front of goal, didn't he get a big money move somewhere after he couldn't even score from 2 yards at S****horpe in the paint pot cup?

Foggy memory

kempo
22-08-2014, 05:17 PM
[quote="jolly_roger"]I'm always disappointed when a player I like signs for another club but over the years I've took to accepting that it's part of life and being a Miller.

I also accept that for the player involved it's his job and that careers are short, even shorter if he picks up a bad injury. So maximising income had to be top of his list. The Millers will never be megabucks when it comes to wages.

Then there's the ego trip, is it best to be a fans favourite or not? I think this has been an important factor in the Agard transfer. At Leeds it was small fish in big pond, at Bristol it's big fish in small pond. Money I think took second place, plus it might have been a driver as to why he left us, it was no secret that SE wanted to sign a forward that would replace Agard (or Revell). Leeds also signed Sharp so Agard might have been a well paid bench warmer. So eg sent Agard to Bristol.

As for grass being greener? Well we've had a few signings that look