PDA

View Full Version : Steve Evans wants more signings

Paul_Davis_(Millers_
26-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Millers boss Steve Evans talks about his recruitment hopes before the transfer window closes next Monday in today's Star. There's also a major piece in the paper and online about tonight's Capital One Cup clash at Premier League Swansea City. - view external link (bit.ly/1vJfjvs)

bogsdollox
26-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Having only scored one "genuine" goal in 4 games, one lucky deflection in another and Revell's woeful miss on Sat ,i would suggest we desperately need a goal scorer.
But where does that leave our record signing?

Tophams_Excelsior
26-08-2014, 02:18 PM
If it's any consolation, Wolves have only scored 3 goals and they're currently fourth.

More than ever it's going to be important to keep clean sheets week in week out.

millertop
26-08-2014, 02:41 PM
[quote="bogsdollox" goal in 4 games, one lucky deflection in another and Revell's woeful miss on Sat ,i would suggest we desperately need a goal scorer.
But where does that leave our record signing?[/quote]

Or we could get Derbyshire and Bowery on the pitch then see if we really do need to get another striker.

I know we don't see what Evans sees in training etc but there's something amiss when Revell gets 90 mins and they don't get any

That's not knocking Revell, he does work hard but we he doesn't score many and we need goals.

mikemiller
26-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Bowery DID actually appear on the pitch for the last 10 minutes in place of Revell at Millwall... but only in the role of holding the ball up at the corner flag to waste time

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
26-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Bowery DID actually appear on the pitch for the last 10 minutes in place of Revell at Millwall... but only in the role of holding the ball up at the corner flag to waste time

If he does that job well every week he'll be well worth the fee. :D :D

mikemiller
26-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Three goals in our first six matches... goalscorer urgently needed!

tivoliman415783
26-08-2014, 09:08 PM
obviously we need that striker but we have been saying it for months... not easy to find one on the wages we can offer.

As important, with how we are setting up to play this year, the first goal is absolutely ***** to us.

6 games played this season. 3 wins when we have scored first and 3 defeats when we have conceded first. whenever we have won we have not conceded and whenever we have lost we have not scored. Says an awful lot about our way of playing this season.

armo12
26-08-2014, 09:57 PM
We need pace at the back and a goal machine . Simple as that.get some money spent steve.its strange how were still going with revel upfront
We have spent nothing tony.wheres all the money going.because its not on the team .

Derbymiller
26-08-2014, 10:04 PM
I would say that if we haven't got a goal scorer in by 11pm on 1st September it will be a long winter, can't keep playing for 1-0. There is a lot right with rotherham lets hope we don't build on that. We may have to take a chance on someone.

LittleSquirt
26-08-2014, 10:25 PM
we've signed at least 3 strikers, which have either cost big money (for us) or must be on decent wages. Plus Swift.
So here's an idea - why don't we try giving the ones we've got a run of games? And if they aren't good enough, why have they been signed?

And if we sign another one, where is he going to play if we persist with just Revell up front.

LiberalFan
27-08-2014, 04:05 AM
Not expected to get anything last night. 1-0 a decent result against a good premier league side.

I'am getting the feeling Evans is unsure about Bowery and Derbyshire , the latter looking really good in pre season and Banging in the goals.

Agree with most on here Revell missed a sitter Saturday and will no way get more than 5 goals all season

Chris_147
27-08-2014, 05:19 AM
I agree that Revell up front does not work but why have we then spent comparatively big money for us on Bowery and Derbyshire if Evans is unwilling to give them a chance to prove themselves in the team.

This being said if a top class striker is available to us within budget then I wouldn't be moaning about bringing them in but we cannot sign players just for the sake of signing players.

I trust Steve Evans to get things right for us up top as he has done over the past 2 seasons, for example getting rid of Nardiello last season. Confident of staying up with a player stepping up to the mark and scoring 15-20 goals for us be it a player in the squad now or a new addition.

mikemiller
27-08-2014, 05:57 AM
Just checked his record - Bowery hasn't scored a league goal since August 2012! Ok, he's still relatively young with potential to improve, but he's really a sub for Revell at the moment. Let's hope that the "record fee" is based on apppearances and goals.

axholme_miller
27-08-2014, 07:32 AM
I reckon that the bus to Bury is already being serviced for its first trip there sometime soon. Several candidates may be already have been identified by our Beloved Leader.

RawmarshMiller
27-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Patience everyone, just calm down a little. Bowery and Derbyshire are not fit enough to start yet, Evans has said he doesn't think either is capable of 70 minutes yet. Last year we had Tubbs who was thrown straight in when he wasn't fit, that worked well didn't it? He clearly wants them to build up some fitness and strength.

We have made some really good signings, Smallwood, Green, Broadfoot (yes, I think this guy can play, just cant run - needs to be in the middle)all look decent so far, Tidser has come back leaner and fitter.

I would guess Evans is desperately trying to get a striker in, the business done for Taylor and Wordsworth make a lot of sense. But I defy anyone to pick out someone who will be a 20 goal striker that fits within our budget. We have to take a gamble on someone unproven, we need to find another Agard or Dicko. Give Evans time, in his 2 seasons he found Mardiello, Agard and Dicko - he will do it again.

Flicker1
27-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Well said rawmarsh. Pointless buying aimlessly let the team settle in and see how we are at christmas. Mid table after playing four top half of the table teams we would have been happy with this before the season started, if we get 3 points on Saturday moves us into the top half. What do people want its only two seasons since we were in div2.

Derbymiller
27-08-2014, 11:17 AM
people arent having a go at evans, they are just highlighting an area that is a concern at the moment, and hoping that he comes good with a signing that addresses that.
I don't think we have the time, the window shuts in 5 days and then we are relying on a premiership club loaning out a young striker, Rotherham will have to join the queue for that.
The lack of goals is the only concern I have at the moment, it is making us more defensive and leading to more cards as well. It does need to be addressed I am sure Evans will do so

Jamesjd101
27-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Matt Green - Birmingham
Dexter Blackstock - Forrest

Both pacey strikers with something to prove and wages wouldn't be too high. Green has just come back from a major knee injury though but looks a good finisher

Derbymiller
27-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Blackstock is injured