PDA

View Full Version : The New Defensive Rotherham United ...

ExeterMiller
26-08-2014, 11:56 PM
... not sure whether I like it tbh.

OK Swansea threw up no surprises. As usual, Arnason was excellent, Morgan and Wood were solid, Sadler did alright and Broadfoot, I reiterate doesn't deserve the criticism directed at him on here, Loach made a couple of top saves.

Frecklington, Pringle, Tidser were average at best. The are blank refusing to get anywhere in and around Rev's, who again was chasing his own flick ons. First half, Bowery was damn awful, every touch went to the opposition, I failed to see how he was even a footballer, never mind what he brings to the table. 2nd he shows a few flashes, direct, strong, but he needs to be like this for 80 minutes, the lolling around of the first half was just unacceptable.

Now to my point. OK I know we need to keep the ball better, we also need to make sure we aren't going to get blown away week in week out, but I tell you what carry on what we're doing and we will go down, and without fighting. I would rather lose 5-4 than 1-0 every

Geetarman
27-08-2014, 12:20 AM
Ermm, in case this has escaped your notice.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2u5b3ol.jpg

ExeterMiller
27-08-2014, 12:27 AM
I'm talking of the 4 games I've seen, and I bet it's the same on Saturday. Swansea today weren't that much better than us on the day

Geetarman
27-08-2014, 12:29 AM
If Swansea were no better, then surely that's a good sign.

Small steps.

ExeterMiller
27-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Mmm.

Just concerned is all. It's never a good thing to say 'don't know where a goal is to come from'

There were some good performances out there again, it's just not working, and if we need to change a 'not working' we don't seem to have a plan B to change it up.

Like I've said, I'd rather us go down scoring goals than losing 1-0 every week. We'll lose fans too

gramiller1959
27-08-2014, 06:19 AM
Mmm.

Just concerned is all. It's never a good thing to say 'don't know where a goal is to come from'

There were some good performances out there again, it's just not working, and if we need to change a 'not working' we don't seem to have a plan B to change it up.

Like I've said, I'd rather us go down scoring goals than losing 1-0 every week. We'll lose fans too

I do have the same concerns as Exeter :/ its frustrating and boring to watch :/ the fans will vanish ! they turned up to watch exciting football not time wasting and revel up front on his own

edit ... and hoof ball

nys
27-08-2014, 06:40 AM
I think were still learning about this league and adapting our tactics. The signs against Watford and Millwall are that we are adapting quickly and improving game on game. This is exactly what we did in League 1. Against Watford I feel were stifled by pushing so few players forward when we attacked, which just led to us giving the ball away. I do feel we need to get Frecklington in more advanced positions to get the best out of him, but I am very satisfied with the start to the season.

thrilller_miller
27-08-2014, 06:53 AM
A win against Brentford Saturday and everyone will be buzzing, we need a couple of goals to get us properly up and running

Bonneville
27-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Sorry Exeter but we've been playing some decent footy so far, to be honest if we'd lost 10 0 last night it'd meant nothing to me, we're prob favs to struggle in the championship but we won't go down that I'll tell now, can't understand your concern we've beaten two good sides so far and come close to taking points from two other good sides ?? What can't you see that I can. ??

millertop
27-08-2014, 07:20 AM
I get what you're saying Exeter, I think Evans goes all defensive too much tbh.

I understand it's an harder league and still finding our way but I honestly think Evans is going with his heart instead of his head.

Fair enough we have a few injuries but surely Evans should know ndow who should be the best players to start.

playing one up front (Revs) just won't work if the midfielders don't get up and help him.

We need some goals, get two up front on Saturday to start against Brentford.

Having said all that, I don't think we have started too bad, we haven't been embarrassed

Derbymiller
27-08-2014, 07:25 AM
I think Exeter has a point, he isn't saying we are bad he is worried about our lack of goals or goal scoring opportunities. If we don't address this i agree with him we will struggle to stay up, you have to score goals to win matches - fact.

There is 5 days to go on the transfer window, we sold our top goal scorer none of the current squad look like they have 10 goals in them never mind 20 goals. We need a goal scorer and at this late stage it will be a risky acquisition. Remember we were told that there was a flagship signing of 800k striker before Agard left, we missed out on May (how much of that was us messing about?) surely we had a plan b, c and d on the list. My gut feel is after signing so many players a lot that will be fringe players or may never play more than 6 games, we have exceeded our wage bill and there is nothing left in the larder for the 1 player we have needed all summer.
I hope i am wrong about that and a goalscorer is acquired in the next 5 days

mikemiller
27-08-2014, 07:38 AM
...otherwise we're burgered...and it's all due to t'Pigs!

twinnyjoe
27-08-2014, 07:45 AM
If we play the attacking formation we played in league 1 and 2 we would get hammered every week. The teams we are coming up against have bags of quality and we need to be disciplined in our approach. How about we trust the manager and stick by the team?? We have 6 points from 4 games which is a fantastic start.

And your saying you would rather lose 5-4 than 1-0 wouldn't you start criticising the defence then?

axholme_miller
27-08-2014, 07:51 AM
I think that we have been spoilt by scoring so many goals so often in the last two seasons. Expectations always rise in keeping with results. This season was always going to be a different proposition with so many clubs with big financial backing.

SE has clearly prioritised shoring up the defence and packing the midfield in an effort to pick up early points. We scored a lot of goals from midfield last season and he must be hoping we can do likewise this season.

To a certain extent, this strategy has worked up to now. True the goals have dried up, but we rarely look like conceding either.

I agree to a certain degree with Derbyshire Miller and wonder if our wage bill has indeed swallowed up most of the cash we received from Wembley and the sale of Agard? Just a few weeks back, we appeared on the verge of shelling out 800,000 on a single player? Now we are back to picking up the odd loanee here and there.

Like many on this board, I worry where the goals are coming from. Revell will

GingaMilla
27-08-2014, 08:06 AM
I couldn't care less how we play as long as the team is putting in the effort and getting the results we need to stay in the league.

Pistolpete
27-08-2014, 09:18 AM
I think a lot of you are missing the reason why we are playing revs up top alone and that's because There is not a number two striker yet that will compliment revs ...YET Taylor us great but not a goal scorer and has been said Derbyshire and Bowery not fully fit as yet so it leaves him no other options. Before we had Agard who could do both scoring and defending so he is a massive loss for us. Right now we need to at to our strengths and as per usual Evans is doing that. Trust him he knows what he's doing and we will get that foil for revs soon.

Galant
27-08-2014, 09:43 AM
What Pistolpete said!

shshsh22
27-08-2014, 09:54 AM
I read a quote from SE after the Derby game,which tells me this is going to be a season long tactic.It was something like this"you cant take on the Royal Navy,when youve only got a small boat".
As well as sounding like a Freudian slip,it also sounds defeatist,as we will be the small boat,nearly every game.:blue:

millertop
27-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Just seen highlights, I'm still not convinced about Loach tbh.

ida
27-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Its gunna be like this best part of season, but thats reality for now. Lets not be too optimistic, or pessimistic.

SE, is doing what he has done before; getting loads of new bodies in to compete and raising players confidence and sorting the chaff from the wheat. Its tried and tested and it works. We havent started too well out of the blocks before, but we got momentum and thats what matters-moving forward in small steps.

It might be boring too an extent but the club are aiming to compete long-term.

If we carry on our current win/loss ratio of 50% we would finish just shy of the play-offs, lol. Just saying!

gwru
27-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Team selection Arnason as holding midfield player why play Tidser whose lightweight at best. Either play Newton or Brandy. Smallwood, Taylor & Wordsworth cup-tied?

Way we're set up with 3 in midfield + Pringle & Taylor as got to play. If we get a striker its got to be to replace Revell. A younger target man with a goal in him.

ExeterMiller
27-08-2014, 11:18 AM
If you lose a game 5-4, you have provided entertainment (easier for the fans to swallow). OK a loss is a loss, but you've scored goals, and kept a belief in the players minds that you can score goals. If, like us so far, you've scored 3 goals in 6 games, one a total fluke & 1 a penalty it doesn't make very good reading. Defensively we are good but I don't think we've struck the right balance, the mindset is negative and eventually that will wear the players down, affecting confidence hence the rot starts.

I think we need more than a goalscorer, we need pace, we've got to stop getting in like for like midfielders, its even more imperative now Agard has gone. I understand the why & the need for 4-2-3-1, but if you're going to do that, those 3 need to get in and around Revs, being 20 yards behind him is making it fail.

one_a_day
27-08-2014, 11:36 AM
It used to be 1-0 to the Arsenal and they didn't do too bad did they.

I can't believe people are worried about the lack of goals when we have played four teams who are currently in the top nine in the table and beat two of them.

Someone has mentioned the need for pace at the back. We've only conceded 3 league goals against two very good sides.

ExeterMiller
27-08-2014, 11:57 AM
MK Dons scored 4 against Man U
Blunts scored at West Ham, Oxford scored at West Brom, Donny got 2 at Watford, Port Vale same against Cardiff.

Not hard to score a goal is it, despite what the write ups you might read about missed chances we were terrible inside the last 30 yards last night, didn't have a clue.

DavidR__9
27-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Someone has mentioned the need for pace at the back. We've only conceded 3 league goals against two very good sides.

I think there's a connection between these statements and the apparent reduction in the potency of our attack.

Evans seems to be pretty aware that, if you get a forward running at pace at Morgan or Arnason (and presumably Wood, or he'd be first choice you'd assume), there's trouble. So we're defending deeper than last season (see Wolves for the most extreme example) and deploying one midfielder primarily as protection for the defence. The reason is that, unlike last season, the default in this league that teams have pace up front AND players in the middle who can play the right passes to exploit that pace (last season, Wolves excepted, it was one or t'other - and Wolves scored 9 against us).

The consequence of the deeper defence and the midfield protection, particularly in a league where teams are comfortable on the ball in all positions is that our t

gorky
27-08-2014, 12:26 PM
[quote="ExeterMiller"]... not sure whether I like it tbh.

OK Swansea threw up no surprises. As usual, Arnason was excellent, Morgan and Wood were solid, Sadler did alright and Broadfoot, I reiterate doesn't deserve the criticism directed at him on here, Loach made a couple of top saves.

Frecklington, Pringle, Tidser were average at best. The are blank refusing to get anywhere in and around Rev's, who again was chasing his own flick ons. First half, Bowery was damn awful, every touch went to the opposition, I failed to see how he was even a footballer, never mind what he brings to the table. 2nd he shows a few flashes, direct, strong, but he needs to be like this for 80 minutes, the lolling around of the first half was just unacceptable.

Now to my point. OK I know we need to keep the ball better, we also need to make sure we aren't going to get blown away week in week out, but I tell you what carry on what we're doing and we will go down, and without

ExeterMiller
27-08-2014, 12:45 PM
It's not really a moan, neither a criticism and I understand the reasons. I'm more thinking about the impact on the mindset of players and the longer it goes on does that have a bigger impact. Players stated it all last season, we all keep going to the end, we always know we'll get another chance even if its the 95th minute, even at half time at Wembley, must be great to know that you've always got that chance of a goal.

Now though, it seems go 1 down and we're screwed. If we don't score first it looks so ominous. I trust SE's judgement, I just hope we're using David_R's succinct as always description against the better teams in this league (which prob won't come to light until Xmas time). I hope against the teams we're fighting the drop against, Saturday included, we are more brave

shshsh22
27-08-2014, 01:00 PM
I think i have agreed with your analasyes from lg2 days,and i agree again.If we voluntarily invite pressure,arent we more likely to concede?
We also inhibit our more attacking players,perhaps the reason they arent shining so brightly.
Revs up front on his todd,isnt my idea of a threat.

ilikecarling
27-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Just seen highlights, I'm still not convinced about Loach tbh.

I like him, pulled off a couple of decent stops last night, his kicking is a lot better than Collin as well.

Having said that you can't drop Adam Collin as the lad has done nowt wrong an is fairly steady at the minute.

DavidR__9
27-08-2014, 01:43 PM
I think i have agreed with your analasyes from lg2 days,and i agree again.If we voluntarily invite pressure,arent we more likely to concede?
We also inhibit our more attacking players,perhaps the reason they arent shining so brightly.
Revs up front on his todd,isnt my idea of a threat.

I don't think we're inviting pressure. I think we're acknowledging that if we leave space behind our defenders we'll ship goals, so we're not leaving that space.

I don't think we're inhibiting our attacking players, either. The idea is that they work off the ball out to Revell and/or work it up the field when they have possession. The first of those is harder than last year because there's a bigger distance to cover and the second isn't working as well as it might because the pace is that much sharper.

As Pringle and Frecklington adapt (or get replaced, who knows) we'll be able to work it up the field more. As Richardson gets fit, we'll have a f