PDA

View Full Version : British best sportsman

gwru
28-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Forget bout non- brits Mo Farrah, tennis players, footballers.

Stand up A P Mcoy watched him last night unbelievable desire to win. How he won on 1st winner only he knows. But he's only a Jockey Only!

royalfunkness
28-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Can't support a jockey being put in the same category as elite level sportsmen. They are on horses and therefore are only partially responsible for what they achieve.

I think people like McIlroy and Murray deserve more praise as for me they're against other elite level competitors in a sport that in my honest opinion is more difficult.

gwru
28-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Mcllroy & Murray have got charisma of a statue. There's two working class sports for the fan [ football higher level playing wise no ] A P Mcoy when he's finished his records will never be beat. I'm a racing fan but I'm a sports fan. James Anderson plays the game hard like A P he gets respect for what he puts into his game. But A P has been at top of his sport 20 yrs. But as I said he's only a jockey. When you think about it only Athletics track events minus the hurdles are true sports.

Roamin_Miller
28-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Currently the Brownlee brothers!

Ellis_D
28-08-2014, 06:29 PM
When I saw the thread title, gwru, I thought there is only one man: A P McCoy.

Although in hindsight, Phil Taylor runs him a close second.

jolly_roger
28-08-2014, 06:39 PM
I thought the thread was about sportsmen not pub games ;D

shiregreenmillers
28-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Can't support a jockey being put in the same category as elite level sportsmen. They are on horses and therefore are only partially responsible for what they achieve.

I think people like McIlroy and Murray deserve more praise as for me they're against other elite level competitors in a sport that in my honest opinion is more difficult.Try falling off a horse at 40 miles an hour royalfunkness .. A.P Mccoy gets my vote :star: :star:

scum_triumphant
28-08-2014, 06:41 PM
joe Calzaghe and Steve Redgrave have to be up there.

frogmiller
28-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Daley Thompson

Ian Botham

jolly_roger
28-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Sir Chris Hoy

gwru
28-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Talking active sportsman.

Looking back:

Bobby Charlton
Steve Ovett
Ian Botham
Chris Eubank

jolly_roger
28-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Ovett?
Not Coe then? ;D

gwru
28-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Can't forget the late great Alex Higgings. He brought snooker out of the clubs.

walter10
28-08-2014, 07:26 PM
I respect jockeys and love flat racing. But jockeys (a bit like F1) are only as good as the horse (look at vettel this year).

merry_miller
28-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry & Steve Davis if you want to go for Snooker players.

Amir Khan, Lennox Lewis, Carl Froch if you want to look at British Boxers.

gwru
28-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Ovett just more exciting to watch.

villamiller
28-08-2014, 07:33 PM
eddie the eagle XD XD XD

gwru
28-08-2014, 07:38 PM
For excitement snooker White & O'sullivan but Alex Higgings had the most charisma of any snooker player. They'd both tell you that.

Chris_147
28-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Bradley Wiggins? Multiple Olympic medallist and Tour de France winner.

What about Johnny Wilkinson, i'll not say single handedly but a major help to England winning Rugby world cup.

merry_miller
28-08-2014, 07:53 PM
For excitement snooker White & O'sullivan but Alex Higgings had the most charisma of any snooker player. They'd both tell you that.

You can't have White in as best British sportsmen he never won the big one.

churchill
28-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Feel that Steven Naismith of Everton deserves a mention.this man gives away tickets to Everton home matches to people who are unemployed or down on their luck

jolly_roger
28-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Ovett just more exciting to watch.

I agree, but I thought I would ask.

Ellis_D
28-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry & Steve Davis if you want to go for Snooker players.

Amir Khan? Is that a joke? How could you even possibly begin to him before Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank or Ricky Hatton, to but a few?!

gwru
29-08-2014, 10:41 AM

You can't have White in as best British sportsmen he never won the big one.[/quote]

Its not about winning things there's certain people who have something about them. A P got it, Alex Higgings had it. Botham, Ovett did + Eubank who could take a punch when there was some world class British fighters around.

TimeforAle
29-08-2014, 10:51 AM

Stand up A P Mcoy watched him last night unbelievable desire to win. How he won on 1st winner only he knows. But he's only a Jockey Only!

He didn't win the last though did he when one of my horses yet again battered him by 10 lengths!!

Sam Twiston-Davies is the next AP McCoy...and Newland is our King!

BOOOOM!!! :-)

gwru
29-08-2014, 12:15 PM

He didn't win the last though did he when one of my horses yet again battered him by 10 l

The king is dead long live the king.

BOOOOM!!! :-)[/quote]

TimeforAle
29-08-2014, 02:32 PM

He didn't win the last though did he when one of my horses yet again battered him by 10 l

The king is dead long live the king.

BOOOOM!!! :-)[/quote][/quote]

2 wins in 3 days earlier this week for me, Sam and the good doctor!! ;-)

Happy days!!

gazmadmiller
29-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Carl Fogerty... nough said

merry_miller
29-08-2014, 07:22 PM

Amir Khan? Is that a joke? How could you even possibly begin to him before Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank or Ricky Hatton, to but a few?![/quote]

Ricky Hatton was a Frank Warren special with a padded card & soon as he moved up in class he was like a fish out of water.

Fair comment on Eubank but I'd rate Khan above Benn.