PDA

View Full Version : David Clayton former BGS headmaster has died

cricketfield72
31-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Sad news.
Fabulous teacher and a great character when I was a pupil in the late 70s and early 80s.
Caned me two times. Both thoroughly deserved.

RIP 'Stan' Clayton. - view external link (http://tinyurl.com/lce7nja)

clareturion
31-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Sad news indeed.

Only in his class for 1 year but the best history teacher I ever had.

yesTHATironingboard
31-08-2014, 09:04 PM
taught us at social and personal education (at least i think that's what it was called).

a very clever and nice man.

farewell.

cloughyclaret
31-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Lovely man. Or scary or lovely when required.

We could do with more teachers like him now. He made us lot cower a time or two.

RIP Mr Clayton.

scoobyclaret
31-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Aww, sad news, he was my history teacher mid 70,s at BGS, good teacher and a nice guy, last time I saw him was in the concourse in the Bob Lord stand quite a few years ago
RIP Sir

BennyD
31-08-2014, 09:22 PM
That is indeed very sad news. 'Stan' Clack, a great teacher and a greater man. RIP.

TuftyBeamish
31-08-2014, 09:23 PM
RIP Stan Clac.

Lovely guy. I bumped into him about 8 years ago in Chorley Tesco. He still remembered me after all those years. Fondly, he said, even though I was a bit of a pain in the arse whilst at Habergam. I'm sure he and Mr Elson only used to call my mum in for chats about me and my brother because they fancied her.

OwnGoals
31-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Heard this sad news yesterday. An inspirational teacher who you knew you could never mess around with.
A great claret as well - he once called me in after I'd missed a Wednesday at with form to see us beat Spurs 4-1 in league cup. Gave me bit of a rollicking but when he asked if I'd do it again & I said yes, he just said "I knew you'd say that"

sabdenclaret
31-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Very decent man, and a great teacher. Likeable and easy to get on with, but you wouldn't wanna get on the wrong side of him - he truly could put the fear of God into you! Well liked and well respected by most pupils - can't think of many other teachers you could say that about! RIP sir.

LIFEAFTERROBBIE
31-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Every Ex pupil I know respected this guy... enough said.
RIP Stan

BFCmaj
31-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Very sad news. Was very lucky to have Mr Clayton as Headmaster and History Teacher.

ClaretTony2014
31-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Was there when I was still at the Grammar School and think he was deputy head to Stokes at the time. He never taught me but I know he was well respected. A season ticket holder in the Bob Lord for many years too.

gazman
31-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Was headteacher when I was at Habergham. Always had the respect from the pupils. You would never see him lose his rag like some teachers but still managed to keep you in check. RIP.

BigFrankieB
31-08-2014, 09:59 PM
He was my history teacher in the 60s - made the subject so interesting for me that I became a history teacher. He also helped me with advice in my early career whenever I came back home and called in to see him. A very respected man who will be sadly missed.

BennyD
31-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Was there when I was still at the Grammar School and think he was deputy head to Stokes at the time. He never taught me but I know he was well respected.

We must have been at BGS at the same time because he was Dep head to Stokes and then, IIRC, Panter before becoming head. I could be mistaken because it was a long time ago!

BurnleyBull
31-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Top bloke , he taught me History in the mid to late 70's was deputy head I think at the time, drove around in a little classic car if I remember rightly. Always cheered on the BGS football teams on a Wednesday afternoon.

IB52
31-08-2014, 10:47 PM
He was an excellent teacher and inspirational.
I considered continuing history into 6th form but in those days science and history did not mix.
Was his form prefect in final year and respected how he managed the class.
He organised the Historical society bringing it to life with field trips to local sites.
Mr Panter was Head after Stokes and then GDC.
He also had a passion for transport especially Railways and the demise of Steam during the 60s.
He came to BGS from Bolton and I wish I'd realised that he was a Claret.
RIP

rhinosleeds
31-08-2014, 10:52 PM
I never went to the Grammar school myself however my step-father was very close friends with him for years after attending BGS.

I met him on perhaps half-a-dozen occasions before I lost contact with him after my Step-father had died some 8 years ago.

I guess they will be catching up with one another now.

RIP

wmdave_b
01-09-2014, 12:03 AM
Mr Clayon never taught me, but was deputy to Keith Panter when I managed to spill a cup of steaming hot coffee over him on 'courses week' in Scotland. Can still remember him jumping up, yet biting his lip and staying calm. Sorry Mr Clayton, respect !

Oshkoshclaret
01-09-2014, 01:48 AM
RIP Stan Clack. He was forever on my case when I was at school but wrote me a very nice letter after I graduated from uni

Blakey
01-09-2014, 06:22 AM
RIP Mr Clayton.

He knew how to handle pupils and was fair
Eccentric history teacher, remember him dictating a title which ended up being half a page long.

Lamby63
01-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Rip Mr Clayton...a fantastic teacher and human being...well respected by both pupils and teachers alike. Had the pleasure of being called into his office a number of times in the late 70's early 80's and always ended up talking about cricket with him...bumped into him a few years ago on Habergham playing fields whilst watching a Burnley CC U17s game and had a wonderful half hour chatting about the good old days of Burnley Grammar School

lotty1
01-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Taught my son . Met him a few times at parent evenings plus a couple of "chats" about my son . :s

Lovely man and by all accounts a good teacher .
RIP .

JinkingJames
01-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Very funny man. I remember the assembly when someone stuck a female hygiene product to the table. He went through the whole assembly unphased. I had Keith Panther has my history teacher.

ClaretTony2014
01-09-2014, 07:59 AM
It's something when you see comments like this about a school teacher that are all positive. Says one hell of a lot about him.

CleggHall
01-09-2014, 08:36 AM
These many tributes say it all and are a credit to a fine teacher. Not much wrong with education back then and fortunately there are many good teachers still around despite what the Daily Mail says.

sae11
01-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Sad news-taught me history at A level whilst I was at the grammar school- the only one I actually passed which says as much about him as me !!! Deservedly went on to be the head.

notnowbernard
01-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Very, very sad this he never actually taught me and yet always came across as very affable and likeable and was one of the most popular teachers with mates of mine he did teach when I was there. RIP

Anyone know where the "Stan" moniker came from?

bf2k
01-09-2014, 11:55 AM
I only had him for 1 season but he also took our football team. Superb teacher.

RIP Sir O:)

ptangyangkipperbang
01-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Mr Clayton got me on the straight and narrow being more interested in music and football and generally messing about he really got me interested in learning with his one to one teaching methods with me and spurred me on to gain o level history of which he congratulated me when i bumped into him after i had left school 1981.Top teacher top bloke
R.I.P Stan Clack Mr Clayton

down_rover
01-09-2014, 12:44 PM
CT, I think he would have been history teacher when you were there. He was my history teacher for O levels and clearly a good one as I passed. A great teacher and a thoroughly good chap.

I was a couple or three years behind you CT and the deputy then was Dick Panter.

Also seeing reference to 'Pat Jennings' in the LT article was great. He was one of my Maths teachers.

Incidentally another Maths teacher of that era, Brian Pomfrett, ran out of money on a round the world trip honeymoon and got a one year job in Matamata NZ, population 8000. A year earlier and he would have taught my wife.Small world!

cricketfield72
01-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Some superb tributes on here to Mr. Clayton.
I met him at a wedding 18 years after I'd left BGS and he came over and asked me if I still wore my torn trench coat :O
I felt 10 feet tall that he'd remembered me after all that time.
I've texted a couple of ex-BGS mates and asked them if they know where the 'Stan' came from, hopefully someone on here will know.
Whilst on the subject ofs, can anyone remember Mr. Lonsdale, the art teacher's nickname?

KeighleyClaret
01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
He started as a teacher at BGS the same day I started as a 1st year in 1965. He was a bit more 60's than the other teachers, and let you see a bit of himself as a person rather than just as a teacher. He could be tough if you didn't pull your weight though.

I enjoyed the extra classes we did in the 6th form which were designed towards the General Studies paper - politics and social stuff, not sure what they called it then!

Always thought I would have liked him if I'd met him as an adult. RIP.

ClaretLife
01-09-2014, 02:03 PM
very sad to hear this news. As others have already said - he was a great teacher and very patient (when he needed to be) and polite man. Taught me history between '79 and '81 and always held the attention of the whole class with authority but at the same time managed to have that unique capacity to have the utmost respect from everyone. Years later I met him on ******** forecourt of all places and he greeted me by and asked how I was doing - and he meant it. If there were more people like Sir then the world would be such a better place. As a role model for how to conduct yourself you'll struggle to find an equal to Stan Clac. RIP

ClaretTony2014
01-09-2014, 02:06 PM
"CT, I think he would have been history teacher when you were there. He was my history teacher for O levels and clearly a good one as I passed. A great teacher and a thoroughly good chap.

I was a couple or three years behind you CT and the deputy then was Dick Panter.

Also seeing reference to 'Pat Jennings' in the LT article was great. He was one of my Maths teachers."

Panter was definitely there when I was as was Clayton but neither taught me. Syd Carter was deputy head when I first went and Panter replaced him. I had it in my head that Clayton had replaced Panter before I left.

As for Jennings - outstanding maths teacher.

wmdave_b
01-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Pat Jennings and Pomfrett taught me for maths, and were great. Pat's nickname was 'teapot' if I remember correctly. Can't remember Lonsdale's nickname though.

SheffieldClaret
01-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Sad news about Stan, by far the best teacher I had at BGS - and a really nice bloke when I bumped into him subsequently (including at the Turf)

I may be wrong, but seem to remember that Lonsdale was "Bertie Yoghurt"

cricketfield72
01-09-2014, 03:09 PM
"Bertie Yoghurt".
Good work SheffieldClaret.

BigFrankieB
01-09-2014, 03:29 PM
It is wonderful to read all these glowing comments about David Clayton. I wonder if anyone, (Claret Tony ??), might be able to give a copy to his family sometime? A most fitting tribute from many of his former pupils from whom he clearly had the most respect.

CraigH
01-09-2014, 04:12 PM
RIP Sir, a great loss to all, enough said

uni_queue
01-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Re post 37 Cricketfield 72

Not sure about the "clack" - that was never part of his nickname when I was at BGS - but "Stan Clayton" was, I think a jockey of some repute in the mid sixties when David Clayton started teaching at BGS.

longsidetrumpet
01-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Deputy head when I was there, and the man who got me through my history A-level (well he made a bigger contribution than I did).
I've still got the hardback, red-coloured exercise book from my A-level years, complete with Stan's remarks on my observations on the War of Jenkin's Ear, etc.
Reason I held on to the book was there were a lot of empty pages at the back and I used it to log my record collection.
A very able teacher and a lovely man.

KeighleyClaret
01-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Seem to remember we nicknamed him 'Ged' after his initials GD. Became 'Stan' some time later I think.

Cannot remember if he had become deputy head before I left, I always thought it was 'Long John' Johnson.

beeholeclaret2
01-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Very sad news about Mr Clayton who had been ill for some time. He was a great teacher and very personable both at school and also when I met him on occasions long after I had left school. As with others on here I found it amazing that he could remember so many details about the pupils he had taught. I met him a few years ago when my son (aged 15 at the time!) played in the last ever cricket game for the Grammar School Old Boys on the old school field. Similar to Lamby (above)I was pleased to have a long chat with him about the school and some of the pupils and teachers. We exchanged a few emails afterwards as he was concerned that the school had closed and was empty and possibly prone to vandalism. As he no longer had any influence over the building he was worried that the "honours" boards in the reception area (Victor ludorums, Head Boys and Oxbridge pupils) may become damaged or simply thrown away.

RIP Mr Clayton a quality teacher and quality man.

KeighleyClaret
01-09-2014, 06:28 PM
What did happen to those honours boards anyway?

beeholeclaret2
01-09-2014, 06:49 PM
"What did happen to those honours boards anyway?"

Keighley, he told me that former teachers David Sheridan and Katheryn Yates had sorted something out but I dont know what they actually sorted?

Anyone?

burnmark
01-09-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think the honours boards were donated to Towneley Hall.