PDA

View Full Version : Riga out...Coyle in

burnmark
06-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Report in Blackpool Gazette. How times change. Judas could now be joining a club '10 years behind' Burnley! - view external link (http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/?mobile=viewfullsite)

yorkyclaret
06-09-2014, 08:56 AM
You must be joining.

BennyD
06-09-2014, 09:12 AM
He must be desperate or stupid. If he couldn't succeed at Bolton or Wigan, where the hierarchy were rght behind him, how is going to when dealing with a kn0b like Oyston? There again, I suppose he thinks he's got nothing to lose as no sane Director would touch him with a barge pole. The latest saga in the fall and fall of horse face.

mgill87
06-09-2014, 09:15 AM
A joke of a club at the moment. There can't be too many managers interested in that position...only the truly desperate!

mdd2
06-09-2014, 09:18 AM
You may be surprised. He got us up, got a great start to the season afterwards, kept Bolton up too. Apart from the obvious he isn't that good at spotting up and coming talent judging by what he brought in at the Turf and he would need to do that at Pool. Also not sure which clubs would want their players loaned out to that club with its obvious problems. Players may come back to the parent club scarred for life mentally.;D ;D

burnmark
06-09-2014, 09:19 AM
I wondered what you meant then Yorky until I spotted my mistake

claretblue
06-09-2014, 09:23 AM
'...Players may come back to the parent club scarred for life mentally...'

or appreciating that the grass ain't so green on the other side...well not at Blackpool!

JeremyBender
06-09-2014, 09:25 AM
The Owen and Owen show. A marriage made in Heaven!

http://i58.tinypic.com/kb5an8.jpg http://i60.tinypic.com/6nrxb8.jpg

stevie_thunder
06-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Only ten years behind Burnley?

JeremyBender
06-09-2014, 09:34 AM
mdd2: "He got us up, got a great start to the season afterwards, kept Bolton up too."

He got Bolton relegated!

claret78
06-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Of course he's desperate. He's out of work isn't he and there's not that many clubs within a reasonable distance of where he lives.

It's really a no risk job as far as his "reputation" goes under the Oystons too as they will take the brunt when they get relegated.

Colburn_Claret
06-09-2014, 10:44 AM
One things for sure, he'll be the best manager Blackpool have ever had.

According to him. :D

Gumby
06-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Agree, Claret78 - he's doing the rounds of North West clubs so this could be the stepping stone in his career which sees him into League 1 - Preston, Fleetwood, Rochdale, Oldham and as he moves ever upwards into League 2 - Stanley, Morecambe, Bury and by then the way they are going, the Mighty Leeds who are less than an hour away.
So plenty of scope for him yet. He's clearly been waiting for the right club to come along !

Cirrus_Minor
06-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Just saw this now on BBC Football focus and laughed out loud.

They have each now got what they both deserve. Will have fun watching this.

DavetheVicar
06-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Could be just the job he needs, keeping them in the championship and he has done well and if relegated then that is what everyone expects A no lose situation.

nil_desperandum
06-09-2014, 12:14 PM
"A no lose situation."
I would generally agree, but can he really afford to have another relegation on his cv?

mdd2
06-09-2014, 12:40 PM
I thought the great one rescued a Bolton team heading for the championship then kept them up in his first whole season reaching the FA Cup semi-finals where Stoke trounced them before going on a dreadful season and half taking them down after 2.5 seasons in charge.

oldcolner
06-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Owen will love getting his teeth into them. His "we have the lowest budget" mantra can be resurrected and orange will suit him.
He could start a quality stage career too ...just in case

Ralfies_Coat
06-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Tangerine kinda suits him don't you think?

http://i62.tinypic.com/2nvrzvk.png

ClaretTony2014
06-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Described in the Blackpool Gazette as a former Celtic striker.

It's all lies and more lies.

Paddy Roche
06-09-2014, 01:34 PM
augers well for the future

socrates
06-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Lies and more lies.

Did Coyle write the article then? Or is it just poor journalism?

NUMANdroid
06-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Has this change actually happened? There's nothing I see on BBC.

IanMcL
06-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Owen Owen used to be a deartment store in Southampton...not there any more.

claretpete
06-09-2014, 05:23 PM
He will feel at home with the Donkey's on Blackpool beach, he might even take up cockle picking

dsr
06-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Radio Lancashire announced at about 5 p that Riga was back in town. They didn't know whether that was to clear his desk or to start work again.

Jamb0MackemClaret
06-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Same article says Oyston has approached him twice before, can't see why Coyle would be any more tempted now with the state that club is in.

bfcjg
06-09-2014, 07:14 PM
They will bring him in to appeal to the local population of druggie Glaswegians who live in the converted B and B's; match made in heaven, the rapist and the papist, the Owen and Owen show.

Harry_R_M_Pitts2
06-09-2014, 07:28 PM
12 goal legend

Toby1
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Well if true, how the fallen have fallen further.

bfcjon
06-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Who was Coyle Agent??

Or who is it now...

butterflyvenom
06-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Clark Carlisle said he was the best manager he'd worked for.As a fan he gave me some of the best days ever,He took us up against all odds.
Managers , like players come and go. He decided to go and somehow he is forever seen as Judas, what nonsense.Get this fact through your heads.
WE DID TO ST JOHNSTONE WHAT BOLTON DID TO US, how can you be so superior knowing that. He should also be regarded by us as a Judas For what he did to them, but shock horror,we didn't care less.
Hypocrites the lot of you.

bfcjon
06-09-2014, 11:25 PM
"Hypocrites the lot of you"

No we just do not like our leaders talking Sh!te..

And he did...

bfcjg
06-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Hypocrites ? Butterfly please look the word up, especially his comments about staying at Burnley and players he was signing/coming up through the ranks

whittyclaretandblue
07-09-2014, 08:05 AM
I didn't realise when Coyle came here he brought the entire backroom staff and the players who were lined up to come in on loan/sign for them with him. yes we took their manager but they allowed us to talk to him and were paid compo. when he left here Coyle lied through his enormous teeth had been tapped up behind the scenes and ****ed off leaving us in limbo.

garfunkal
07-09-2014, 08:11 AM
Completely different sinario butterfly

jtv
07-09-2014, 08:16 AM
"WE DID TO ST JOHNSTONE WHAT BOLTON DID TO US" Er not exactly Butterfly. Coyle contacted the Burnley board via Nixon/Gartside, he was not head hunted. When he left it was totally different - he had been planning it behind everyone's back. Not to mention his repeated lies and the fact that he took with him all backroom staff bar the laundry and tea ladies and also the loanees he had lined up + that yankee player whose escapes me.

irish_claret
07-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Stuart Holden from Houston Dynamo (he'd technically be a Confederate).

butterflyvenom
07-09-2014, 11:03 PM
I listened to what he had to say on his departure. He gave his reasons and It satisfied me.
In an era where our own supporters openly criticise our own board with some regularity, when we see almost daily sackings and players jumping ship with no loyalty, it surprises me that the vitriolic amongst us reserve a hatred for one man in this huge world of football. The same man that gave many of us the best we'd had for decades.I am fearful of the backlash when the day finally dawns when Sean Dyche decides it's appropriate to leave us for pastures new.All his achievements will count for nought with you people.

bfcjon
07-09-2014, 11:26 PM
We know one day he will leave,...but surely not to Bolton...

mdd2
08-09-2014, 05:33 AM
With me it is how he left with all the b******it spouted by him before about being here for the long term etc. SD has never spouted stuff like that. Think SD has said BFC will be here long after he and others are gone, not that he is here for the L/T. This is why OC has two spots on my board. Great 2 years of success but most of that undone by his lies and how he left.

stalbansclaret
08-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Correct mdd2. It's just about being a genuine and authentic leader really. Four or five years down the road of listening to Coyle trotting out the same repetitive cliches and, frankly, not-very-insightful PR-oriented BS I do wonder how I ever believed in him. I don't think I will be saying that about Dyche , even after he us gone, because he is a sincere and authentic individual.
I always enjoy seeing Judas-mocking, being chastised for childishness on threads like this (particularly memorable when enola gay called us "emotional cripples" :D ). What you have to appreciate butterflyvenom is that the glorious schadenfreude derived from following the man's trajectory towards the earth's core is both hilarious and life-affirming. It serves as evidence that sometimes karma does work and natural justice does assert itself. Our own rise over the past year has made it even sweeter if course.
Mind you ,speaking for myself, please don't imagine that all my football hatred is reserved for him. Th

jtv
08-09-2014, 07:40 AM
Butterfly if Dyche leaves under the same circumstances, selfishly crippling BFC to avoid a blot of relegation on his CV, then he will deserve the same treatment. He will surely leave some day, but somehow I do not think that he will handle his departure with the same sliminess as OC. I genuinely believe that Dyche has much much more integrity and dignity than OC ever dreamt about, even though he (OC) spouted some sanctimonious drivel in his time.

claptrappers_union
08-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Dyche WILL leave under similar circumstances. The difference is that he's made no promises and with Burnley's policy over transfers after promotion, I couldn't blame him. His hands are tied here.

jtv
08-09-2014, 08:28 AM
CU by "under similar circumstances" I meant leaving in the middle of the January transfer window, taking all backroom staff with him and diverting transfer targets to his new team. I have a feeling that you knew exactly what I meant but deflected it to suit your purposes.

braindead
08-09-2014, 08:38 AM
I love how people talk about 'Dyche's hands being tied' and other such guff.

I am sure he is well aware of the financial situation here at Burnley and was so 1) before he took the job and 2) before this transfer window started.

We are the only club in the Premier League without multi-millionaire backers able to ejaculate money into the air with no worry about future consequences. I wonder if we had signed for example Deeney for £12 million and McArthur for £7 million, would people have been happy with that being our ONLY transfer business of the summer?

DiBraidio
08-09-2014, 09:15 AM
The worrying thing is that Dyche is a team man. His team are important to him, we'll lose all our backroom staff the day he decides to go. I just hope the board are aware of this and have a plan in place for the day it happens. There are too many good things going on at Turf Moor to allow them all to disappear without a trace.

If I understand correctly it was only the loss of his promotion bonus that stopped OC from going to Celtic straight after promotion.

OC is motivated by self interest. I get the impression that Sean Dyche is more motivated by achieving something which becomes an asset on his CV.

If we survive this season and the board allow him to move on a level and matches his ambition with the funds he needs I can't see why he would leave unless a very big club come in for him.

Sean Dyche has made no promises, when asked if he would stay the course at a Q&A session didn't he say something along the lines of football is a fickle world and he couldn't guarantee anything.

Jamb0MackemClaret
08-09-2014, 09:19 AM
"I am sure he is well aware of the financial situation here at Burnley and was so 1) before he took the job"

He was aware of our theoretical financial situation if we got promotion before he took the job? Doubt it. And the second point doesn't stand up either if we believe this line about the McCormack deal blowing the market up. If that was the case, the budget should have been reassessed. You can't just stand still when everyone else is moving forward.

The Bedlington Terrier
08-09-2014, 09:29 AM
SD seems to be a very pragmatic bloke and works with the assets he has. The way we played against Man U renders any criticism of him and our Board of Directors and the direction we are going in null and void. I will bet my mortgage that any Blackpool fan would swap our current circumstances. The Lashers must be crapping themselves: Coyle and Oyston to form the ultimate dream team!

braindead
08-09-2014, 09:32 AM
I am pretty sure Dyche was aware of our financial situation prior to this season, having been in the job for 18 months I am sure he didn't expect £60 million to spend - do you?

The McCormack situation definitely affected the market, that much is obvious. If you are Watford and you see a comparable striker with a similar amount of goals who is older than your player as well, being sold for £11 million would you realistically accept £5 million? Of course you wouldn't.

There is no way financially that Burnley could have spent the kind of stupid money that was being asked for this summer without having directors who were willing to put several million of their own money into the deal, and we don't have that luxury.

LancasterClaret
08-09-2014, 09:59 AM
What Braindead said

Quite bizarre that the window has now shut, we now have a squad with cover for all positions, and some solid additions, and we've been "sitting still while everybody else has moved on".

If you want us to compete financially with other premier league sides, then we really need to stay up for a season.

ClaretTony2014
08-09-2014, 10:30 AM
I've just come on this thread to report that Riga has turned up this morning to take training at Blackpool but seen that the thread has taken a change of direction with such as: "Dyche WILL leave under similar circumstances. The difference is that he's made no promises and with Burnley's policy over transfers after promotion, I couldn't blame him. His hands are tied here."

Despite working at the club you don't seem to understand Dyche if you even think he'd do a Coyle.

Anyway, Riga has taken training this morning at Blackpool.

DiBraidio
08-09-2014, 03:14 PM
If OC does get the job I wonder if Zat Knight, Chris Eagles and Tyrone Mears will be on his radar. All out of contract apparently.

nil_desperandum
08-09-2014, 04:00 PM
No smoke without fire with this story I'm sure.
I should imagine that Oyston wants rid of Riga and Riga wants out, but Oyston won't sack him because he is too tight to pay compensation, and Riga is far too intelligent to walk out and break his contract thus losing his entitlement.
Hence the rumours will continue to circulate, and "the chosen one", "The Messiah", is still waiting around for one of them to back down. In the meantime the club continues to decline.
It must be very worrying for loyal Blackpool fans who have followed them through thick and thin in all 4 divisions.

yorksclaret
08-09-2014, 04:01 PM
I think now would be an appropriate juncture to reflect on what has happened since he left.
Consider the subsequent fortunes of Burnley, Bolton Wanderers, Coyle himself and all those who jumped ship with him.

Ain't football great.

XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

Guich
08-09-2014, 04:14 PM
I loved that remark from a Wigan fan last year:
"This joker's done more damage to the North West than anyone since Margaret Thatcher!"

And he may not have finished yet!!

XD

yorksclaret
08-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Fuuuuukced more clubs than an angry golfer.

ClaretTony2014
09-09-2014, 10:44 AM
From today's Blackpool Gazette:

The Gazette understands that Pool have cooled on Coyle after making enquiries and have now turned their attentions elsewhere.

bpgburn
09-09-2014, 10:53 AM
The Gazette understands that Pool have cooled on Coyle after making enquiries and have now turned their attentions elsewhere.

That's paper talk for 'They've spoken to him and realised he's a duplicitous deceitful lying bucktoothed ****'

That's how I read it anyway :-)

SimplyClaret
09-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Or Oyston might just have given Dave Whelan or the Bolton chairman a bell!

burnmark
09-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Burton have just confirmed that Rowett has turned down the opportunity to talk to Blackpool.

Has Riga even been sacked yet? Farce! - view external link (http://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/article/20140909-rowettstays-1905576.aspx)

fungus_the_bogeyman
09-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Riga not even sacked and they're approaching other managers!! What a classless buffoon Karl Oyston is. Feel sorry for Riga. Seemed a decent manager and a nice bloke last season at Charlton. Deserves better.

ClaretTony2014
09-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Quite clearly a nonsense to make a formal approach to another club for their manager without dispensing with the one you already have.

An absolute shambles of a club.

nil_desperandum
09-09-2014, 08:44 PM
"Feel sorry for Riga. Seemed a decent manager and a nice bloke last season at Charlton. Deserves better."
Hopefully his agent ensured that his contract was carefully drawn up and is watertight, and that he will get a good payout.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm sure he's only hanging in there because if he walks out of the farce he will forfeit his compensation.

DiBraidio
09-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I'll bet Riga is just hoping that the wait for his pay out won't rule him out of the Leeds job.

He could be made for life before the end of the season.

BennyD
09-09-2014, 09:17 PM
I reckon horse face is the only manager that would entertain a job at Blackpool. No one with any sense or self respect would go anywhere near. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Funkydrummer
11-09-2014, 11:04 PM
"Blackpool manager Jose Riga, 57, spent four hours at Bloomfield Road waiting for a meeting with chairman Karl Oyston - who tried and failed to hire Burton Albion boss Gary Rowett earlier in the week - but the chairman did not not show up." (Blackpool Gazette)

It just gets better if the above is true - what a distasteful man he is

stalbansclaret
12-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Excellently random insertage of Riga's age there. Well done that journalist, 43.

DiBraidio
12-09-2014, 08:24 AM
I was expecting Oyston to try and sack him for going back to Belgium for a week during the international break. I thought he'd suggest that Riga was in breach of contract for leaving without permission/informing him but I guess he'd have done that by now if he was going to.

You can understand Riga's frustration though at getting none of his four targets in before the transfer window shut and losing his assistant.

I was talking to a Blackpool fan yesterday who said that quite a few fans have said that if this carries on they'll be going to Fleetwood instead.

ClaretTony2014
12-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Oyston's been too busy looking for a new manager so he's not had time to sack Riga

buxtonclaret
12-09-2014, 08:41 AM
A crazy situation getting more unbelievable by the day.
I really do feel for the fans over there.

ClaretTony2014
16-09-2014, 05:22 PM
That crazy situation has just got crazier.

Oyston must not have been able to find a new manager, this is the latest from the Blackpool Gazette.

Karl Oyston says he wants Jose Riga to remain as Blackpool manager after face-to-face talks over the weekend.

The pair finally met after Saturday’s draw with Wolves at the end of a crazy week at Bloomfield Road.

Riga had looked almost certain to leave the club after Oyston offered his job to Burton boss Gary Rowett a week ago.

The Pool boss was given a hero’s welcome by supporters at Saturday’s game, leaving chairman Oyston in no doubt about the public support for the Belgian.

And Oyston revealed exclusively to The Gazette that he is now ready to stick with the manager.

He said: “After the game, Jose Riga and I had a really productive chat for more than an hour, one which was much-needed.

“We discussed what’s right, what’s wrong and what we need to do better, particularly between ourselves.

“We had a lengthy chat and covered everyth