PDA

View Full Version : K A R M A

davemanu2000
09-09-2014, 05:21 AM
This Universal Law states that
Nothing happens by chance but by sweating .

Every action has a reaction or consequence as
We reap what we have sown .

What goes ground comes around .

Keep your circle positive .
Say good words,
Think good thoughts ,
Do good deeds .

pstotto
09-09-2014, 12:04 PM
What did I do in a former life to deserve what's happened in this? I dread to think.

davemanu2000
09-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Do you believe in reincarnation?

DiBraidio
09-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Life is suffering Pstotto.

Searching for happiness outself of yourself will always lead to suffering. Happiness must come from within. You can't rely on Danny Ings or Scott Arfield to bring you happiness.

To end suffering you must walk the eightfold path. Simples.

erasmus
09-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Or gain the grace of God. It depends on whether you read Buddhist or Hindu books. I suspect Dave is of a Hindu background. And karma can take effect even in the same lifetime, without reincarnation.

CaptJohn
09-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Confucius say that man who marry woman with small breasts, will feel low down.

davemanu2000
09-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Yes,I am a Hindu . I believe in reincarnation .It depends on your Karma .after death one may enter paradise ,or hell or reincarnated so that one may redeem oneself for a better life .
I am not a real pundit . The latter is much indoctrinated on books dealing with Hinduism ..But one thing is certain a real Hindu always likes to live in ahimsa (peace), harmonise with people of other faiths , establish sense of brotherhood with his neighbours , respect for others , never to bomb a plane and kill innocent people or do other atrocious work .
I have never eaten beef or pork .There are some Hindus eating pork even in India

pstotto
09-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Who's doing it, this karma? Who is judging every single thing going on, in every mind and every body, all things? Some sort of supercomputer, or some sort of thing like gravity i.e. a force all adheres to.

butterflyvenom
09-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Sorry Dave, fat people sweat and do nothing.
Even my washing machine has a cycle that fits the "goes around, comes around" bit.
The very idea of overseeing entities governing our collective lives is shocking.
People who speak good words often get destroyed.
If there is a being or force out there, they have let it become chaotic. To imagine some game whereby we have all to measure up to a certain standard is both degrading and frightening. I want no part of it. karma is more meaningless tripe.

ColdPieWarmBeer
10-09-2014, 12:03 AM
To imagine some game whereby we have all to measure up to a certain standard is both degrading and frightening. I want no part of it. karma is more meaningless tripe.

It doesn't have to be taken literally. It's a semantic construct to articulate a message of altruism and to remind people to not be dicks to other people.

butterflyvenom
10-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Good point well made Cold Pie.
I just wish people would realise there is no governing body at work here.
Being a decent citizen doesn't require parables or trite sayings.Being a d**k thesedays seems to be the realm of religious psychopaths and similarly misguided nutters.

erasmus
10-09-2014, 11:32 AM
The idea of karma doesn't depend on any god giving out punishments and rewards. The action you do is based on a state of consciousness that is created and that state of consciousness determines your future identity and way of life. Buddhists and Jains are atheists but still believe in karma.

pstotto
10-09-2014, 02:48 PM
The problem with the concept is that it is presented literally, as if there really is something to determine one's fate. Buddhists make out it's really there, from my experience of them. I think it's a silly concept that should be rubbished by one and all, it doesn't have any practical purpose, only to create guilt, fear, shame, stuff like that.
It's also ridiculous if taken literally because all crime is just, as a meting out of karmic punishment, because according to that system, one gets what one deserves.

HatfieldClaret
10-09-2014, 06:19 PM
pstotto,

I think to rubbish someone's religious beliefs is a bit naff. Question it, yes but one has to respect others beliefs whether atheist or Muslim. There is a lot I don't accept, or find hard to believe, whether its worshipping more than one god or believing in a virgin birth. What I won't do though is tell someone that they're wrong to believe it.

pstotto
10-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Hatfield, respect for Islamic State too? Religious groups are constantly telling others how to be, that they're right. If one can rubbish an idea, like the Earth is flat, for example, then mankind has got through some karma and can move on.

dougcollins
10-09-2014, 07:16 PM
'I have never eaten beef or pork'

I should imagine Swordfish and Tuna are cheaper anyway, where you live.

'It's a semantic construct'. I'm going to use that phrase in a meeting tomorrow, if you don't mind.

pstotto
11-09-2014, 12:00 AM
"Searching for happiness outside yourself will always lead to suffering".

Thing is, it's all internal anyway, the brain recreates the external from sense mediation.

The drug hope is creating the external internally as one wants it, so one has the best of both worlds. It doesn't work as well as it should, though.

Balanbam00
11-09-2014, 02:41 AM
Dave Namaskar!

Ahim'sa': Not to inflict pain or hurt on anybody by thought, word or action, is Ahim'sa'.

( Satya: The benevolent use of mind and words is Satya. )

Whatever we do or think we store in our mind until it can be expressed as a reaction. Take the analogy of a rubber ball: you press into it with your fingers (that's the action); the dent stays there for some time (that's the potential reaction); then the dent comes out again (the reaction).

If we experience a bad reaction, we tend to say that something bad happened. But it was only the reaction of a previous action, because everything is stored in the mind waiting for the chance to express itself. The more chances of expression, the more pure the mind will become, and the more free and at ease we will feel mentally.

So everything happens for the best. Whether it's pleasant or unpleasant, we should always view it as something positive, because it's freeing the mind of it's past actions.

Balanbam00
11-09-2014, 02:44 AM
"You have the right to the action, but not to the fruits of the action": to act but not to be attached to the result (fruit) of the action. Why is this such profound advice? Because you can feel a great amount of mental freedom in this way. It frees the mind from attachments. That's because by doing it you keep aware of the Cosmic drama behind all actions. It frees the mind from the feeling of "doership" and the subsequent reaction that it brings about. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

HatfieldClaret
11-09-2014, 05:44 AM
Pstotto, respect for Islamic State...obviously not. Islam is actually a peaceful religion. They are using, or rather abusing, Islam for their own idealogical and financial ends. Just like the Christians did when invading South America and the Crusades slaughtering thousands of innocent women & children. That was in the of God, but no turning the other cheek or the meek inheriting the earth there...

stalbansclaret
11-09-2014, 07:29 AM
Burnley fans not believing in karma is odd when we have the greatest ever known example of it's operation staring us in the face. Take a karmic bow Mr Owen Columba Coyle.

Balanbam00
11-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Hatfield :

As for being peacefull?? Let me just take a look at (Surat 9 v 5).from th Quran

9,v5... So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush,

9,v14...Fight them, Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace,

9.29... Fight those who do not believe in Allah,

The Quran contains at least 109 verses that call Muslims to war with nonbelievers for the sake of Islamic rule. Some are quite graphic, with commands to chop off heads and fingers and kill infidels wherever they may be hiding. Still, it is important to note that the problem is not bad people, but bad ideology.

Quran (5:33) - "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be impris

HatfieldClaret
11-09-2014, 04:39 PM
And the old testament also says that men without beards should be slain (or something similar and won't try to quote the verse number).

I lived in the Middle East for nearly 15 years and found no issues in not following Allah.

CnBtruntru
11-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Confucius say that man who marry woman with small breasts, will feel low down.
above statement is wrong.

Man who marry woman with big breasts will feel lower down in later life.
Confucius say that man who marry woman with small breasts, will nearly always stay nice & pert ;D XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

erasmus
11-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Balanbam,you quoted the Bhagavad-gita (2.47) earlier, which also says 'Therefore you should fight'. Yet Gandhi believed in absolute pacifism and was a devoted follower of the Bhagavad-gita.

Balanbam00
11-09-2014, 08:24 PM
erasmus:
Yes, but isn't this a kind of negative approach? Noncooperation, nonviolence and peaceful resistance.
It lead to a great disaster.
During the struggle for independence, a great blunder was committed by Mahatma Gandhi. In order to show his innocence, he said that he would not support the communal award, but nor would he vote against it. That is, indirectly he supported it. At that time he should have said, 'No. I do not support the communal award'...But Mahatma Gandhi neither supported it nor opposed it. He committed a great blunder. At that time he should have said that we can neither split the country nor disintegrate it. What happened to the country after this was due to the Himalayan blunder committed by Mahatma Gandhi. As a result of the communal award, the country was trifurcated into Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. This was the result of the blunder of Mahatma Gandhi." (20 Oct 1990)

Due to Gandhi's coward-like and duplicitous ways, India got chopped into three pi