PDA

View Full Version : The anti Independance media bias

bluek
12-09-2014, 08:55 AM
This accusation seems to be reaching fever pitch the closer we get to the vote.

As an undecided voter I have to say I'm unaware of any bias*on any of the BBC tv or radio programmes and debates I've tuned into.

Can anyone who believes there is a bias tell wheres its been happening?

neilo
12-09-2014, 09:02 AM

As an undecided voter I have to say I'm unaware of any bias*on any of the BBC tv or radio programmes and debates I've tuned into.

#Popcorn . XD

AguyIknow
12-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Have you not heard any of the doom and gloom prophesies, the worst case scenarios should there be a YES vote being espoused on TV or radio? Compare and contrast to the number of positive and best case scenarios being put forward in the same media.

I don't think it should come altogether as a shock tbh that the BBC are going with a pro-NO stance given the politics of their head.

Alas Scottish Independence isn't the only thing the Beeb has shown itself not to be impartial over.

There's been many protests and marches like pro-Palestine, pro-NHS that have involved 10s of 1000s that the Beeb in its wisdom chose not to broadcast.

I do find it rather ironic that two fans of The Rangers would be surprised that the BBC could show bias, given their protests. But we live in interesting times

bluek
12-09-2014, 09:39 AM
You like a bit of stereotyping though.

Redford
12-09-2014, 10:17 AM

Since you are showing signs of intelligence and seem to be opening your eyes, here you go. This is what actually happened

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHmLb-RIbrM&sns=em

This is what the nick Robinson guy (who got his **** handed to him on a plate) reported on E bbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enrdDaf3uss&sns=em

HB
12-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Mate I know you say you are undecided however I have only ever seen you make points against Yes or the Yes campaign.

Out of 37 national newspapers in Scotland, 1 supports indepdencce - the sunday herald. I read recently the The Sun may change to pro independence with 1 week to go which would make 2. aAlmost all of Scotland's national and daily newspapers are English ownerd.

Media bias is subtle and obviously not some reporter saying " Yes are shyte and No are great". It is what is reported, what's not reported (there was a massive NHS anti austrity march recently that went virtually unentioned in the media) and how things are reported. Maybe you experienced this over the past few years as a rangers fan and can understand the subtleties of it frm that experience :p

Anyway, most newspapers openly admit they are pro NO so if they admit to bias it makes me wonder why you are unable to see it :?

neilo
12-09-2014, 10:54 AM
You should always take what you read in print with a pinch of salt. You're only reading somebody else's opinion/interpretation.

How many times do you see a screaming headline attributed it an individual only to see the actual quotes further in the article not quite saying anything like that.

It happens everywhere and it happens endlessly on these Yes campaign websites that so many are holding up as the gospel.

Perhaps mainstream media should be a bit more impartial, well Scottish based ones should I don't see why British institutions should remain impartial and can't be pro-union.

HB
12-09-2014, 10:57 AM
You should always take what you read in print with a pinch of salt. You're only reading somebody else's opinion/interpretation.

How many times do you see a screaming headline attributed it an individual only to see the actual quotes further in the article not quite saying anything like that.

It happens everywhere and it happens endlessly on these Yes campaign websites that so many are holding up as the gospel.

Perhaps mainstream media should be a bit more impartial, well Scottish based ones should I don't see why British institutions should remain impartial and can't be pro-union.

You are only taking somoene's opinion in the television press as well. I dont read the print press.

Also I never said they should be impartial, iot is what it is, however it is a sad and relevant fact of any vote that so many people are easily influenced by what they read and do not read between the lines.

neilo
12-09-2014, 11:01 AM

You are only taking somoene's opinion in the television press as well. I dont read the print press.

Also I never said they should be impartial, iot is what it is, however it is a sad and relevant fact of any vote that so many people are easily influenced by what they read and do not read between the lines.[/quot

bluek
12-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Mate I know you say you are undecided however I have only ever seen you make points against Yes or the Yes campaign.

Out of 37 national newspapers in Scotland, 1 supports indepdencce - the sunday herald. I read recently the The Sun may change to pro independence with 1 week to go which would make 2. aAlmost all of Scotland's national and daily newspapers are English ownerd.

Media bias is subtle and obviously not some reporter saying " Yes are shyte and No are great". It is what is reported, what's not reported (there was a massive NHS anti austrity march recently that went virtually unentioned in the media) and how things are reported. Maybe you experienced this over the past few years as a rangers fan and can understand the subtleties of it frm that experience :p

Anyway, most newspapers openly admit they are pro NO so if they admit to bias it makes me wonder why you are unable to see it :?

Maybe the fact that I don't buy or read th

bluek
12-09-2014, 11:19 AM
btw someone has just posted a page from today's Sun on my facebook headline RBYES. maybe you missed it

neilo
12-09-2014, 11:24 AM

HB
12-09-2014, 11:24 AM

Also I never said they should be impartial, iot is what it is, however it is a sad and relevant fact of any vote that so many people are easily influenced by what they re

HB
12-09-2014, 11:26 AM
btw someone has just posted a page from today's Sun on my facebook headline RBYES. maybe you missed it

As I said, The Sun stated a few days ago it may change sides to Yes.

To be honest Im fed up with the Yes pysh on FB as well :blue:

afc_1983
12-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Have you not heard any of the doom and gloom prophesies, the worst case scenarios should there be a YES vote being espoused on TV or radio? Compare and contrast to the number of positive and best case scenarios being put forward in the same media.

It should be pointed out that there need not be an equal amount of pro-Yes and pro-No stories in order for there to be no bias. It's perfectly possible for the media to report stories in an unbiased way but where the bulk of stories they report on are inherently slanted in a pro-Yes or pro-No fashion due to what is being said in them by third parties.

That said, the BBC and some of the print media in Scotland have been appalling biased in how they have covered this referendum and the issues leading up to it.

Bias stems from coming at a subject from a set position in the first place and too often the tone of stories, both in broadcast and in print, have favoured the messages put forward

cuervo
12-09-2014, 11:43 AM

Consider BBCs coverage of the price of messages carry on the other day and how The Huffington Post covered it, bluek - Jimmy mentioned this on just a thought thread.

They also conveniently failed to mention the Sainsbury's CEO boy is rumoured to be standing as a Tory candidate next year and is on Dave's business advisory group. - view external link (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/12/12/asda-scottish-independence_n_4433722.html)

HB
12-09-2014, 12:25 PM

Consider BBCs coverage of the price of messages carry on the other day and how The Huffington Post covered it, bluek - Jimmy mentioned this on just a thought thread.

They also conveniently failed to mention the Sainsbury's CEO boy is rumoured to be standing as a Tory candidate next year and is on Dave's business advisory group.[/quote]

Sky News, somethign I've never watched before, reported this Asda increasing prices story. When they went back to the studio the bint said 'meanwhile some of the yes supporters suggest prices may fall, ever the optimists'.

Not only biased but smarmy with it.

The stories about

pwlp
12-09-2014, 12:28 PM
The Nick Robinson thing is just the clincher for me. I was suspecting there was bias, but tried to tell myself it was my Yes leanings and that I should ignore it.

But the massive amounts on info out there that clearly, concisely and easily contradict the many NO headlines which the Beeb repeat verbatim, yet do not get reported, or do so down the agenda days later, show the Beeb up as biased, amateurish and verging on pointless.

It's a shame, I used to have huge respect for the Beeb, but it's shrinking and dying by the day.

TheWestLothianQuesti
12-09-2014, 01:12 PM

Also I never said they should be impartial, iot is what it is, however it is a sad and relevant fact of any vote that so many people are easily influenced by what they re

HB
12-09-2014, 01:19 PM

Also I never said they should be impartial, iot is what it is, however it is a sad and relevant fact of any vote

bluek
12-09-2014, 02:03 PM

Since you are showing signs of intelligence and seem to be opening your eyes, here you go. This is what actually happened

This is what the nick Robinson guy (who got his **** handed to him on a plate) reported on E bbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enrdDaf3uss&sns=em[/quote]

"Since you are showing signs of intelligence and seem to be opening your eyes"

What is it with you?
Are you incapable of joining in the discussion without being a c@ck?

It's people like you on the Yes side that are hindering possible votes for your cause. Maybe you could open your

HB
12-09-2014, 02:07 PM

What is it with you?

It's people like you on the Yes side that are hindering possible vote

bluek
12-09-2014, 02:11 PM

What is it with you?

It's people like you on the Y

HB
12-09-2014, 02:16 PM

What is it with you?
Are you incapable of joining in the discussion without be

cuervo
12-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Prime example -

Read the headline, then read the content. F*ck me, the first boy they quote categorically states Timpson won't raise their prices. XD

Then half way doon, their editor says "What would happen if Scotland becomes independent is that if the British-based retailers started charging more then new retailers will appear who will start charging less. It will be a dynamic situation."

So, things will probably remain the same. Might go up - but competitors will cut into the market.

Just how thick do they take people to be? - view external link (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29171722)

bluek
12-09-2014, 02:29 PM

What is it with you?
Are you incapable

HB
12-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Prime example -

Read the headline, then read the content. F*ck me, the first boy they quote categorically states Timpson won't raise their prices. XD

Then half way doon, their editor says "What would happen if Scotland becomes independent is that if the British-based retailers started charging more then new retailers will appear who will start charging less. It will be a dynamic situation."

So, things will probably remain the same. Might go up - but competitors will cut into the market.

Just how thick do they take people to be?

A lot of people are thick and do buy the tone rather than the actual content Look at the circulation of the sun, daily record etc. to see thats true - headlines and tone not backed up at all with content

Redford
12-09-2014, 02:32 PM

What is it with you?
Are you incapable

bluek
12-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Prime example -

Yep, you need to read the detail to get the true story.

cuervo
12-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Prime example -

A lot of people are thick and do buy the tone rather than the actual content Look at the circulation of the sun, daily record etc. to see thats true - headlines and tone not backed up at all with content[/quote]

Mobile phone charges are next up I hear - expect announcements from Vodafone, O2 and T-Mobile in the next couple of days about what 'could' 'possibly' ha

bluek
12-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Prime example -

A lot of people are thick and do buy the tone rather than the actual content Look at the circulation of the sun, daily record etc. to see thats true - headlines and tone not backed up at all with content[/quote]

Stopped reading mainstream newspapers years ago due to utter sensationalist, base level style of reporting.

bluek
12-09-2014, 02:49 PM

"Since you are showing signs of intelligence and seem to be opening your ey

Steen hive
12-09-2014, 02:54 PM
BBC is a totally unbiased corporation that is full of dignity and decorum, much like a lot of mainstream press, no sugar coating or indeed leanings either way ;);

neilo
12-09-2014, 04:05 PM
You lot are utter bellends!! :D

Twitter is a great source of information. ;)

Everything supporting independence is factual , everything questioning it is scare****ering. Is that basically it?

Lol.

HB
12-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Or

Everything against independence is factual , everything for it is rubbish. Is that basically it?

There are idiots on both sides who see things in such absolutes. Youre clearly one of them

lol indeed

cuervo
12-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Everything supporting independence is factual , everything questioning it is scare****ering. Is that basically it?

Lol.

Neilo confirms earlier suspicions he has... errrr... actually nothing informative on the independence debate.

Wind and pish, min. Nothing but lies, then run to the next lie when you're challenged. You're a f*cking joke.

How's the #popcorn anyway? XD

JimmyHaze
12-09-2014, 04:43 PM
The papers are certainly 99% No biased, infact it shows exactly what they are like.

Imagine thats what they are like for nearly every story they publish whatever its about. Theres an agenda behind nearly every article published nowadays. maybe it was always that way but it seems more obvious now

neilo
12-09-2014, 05:32 PM

Lol.

Neilo confirms earlier suspicions he has... errrr... actually nothing informative on the independence debate.

Wind and pish, min. Nothing but lies, then run to the next lie when you're challenged. You're a f*cking joke.

How's the #popcorn anyway? XD[/quote]

Listen babe, I initially came over to discuss all things Indy but was instantly met with crap.

Two main issues seem to be CU and EU and the YESSERS insistance they will be in both!! Now this is my take on the situation as it stands The rUK would be the continuing state, Scotland would need to reapply or have enough existing members in favour of amending the constitution to allow them to continue. The general consensus is that ther

stewarty27
12-09-2014, 08:45 PM
BBC News favours the No Campaign by a ratio of more than 2 to 1
By Professor John Robertson
In February of this year, BBC Scotland reported me to my employer, the University of the West of Scotland, for allegedly bringing both them and the University into ‘corporate disrepute’. Luckily I kept my job. What had caused their venomous reaction? I had carried out research which revealed bias in their coverage of the Scottish Referendum campaigns. Most offensive to them, given their proud claim to impartiality, had been my finding that they had favoured the No campaign by a 3 to 2 ratio.

cuervo
12-09-2014, 09:32 PM

Lol.

Listen babe, I initially came over to discuss all things Indy but was instantly met with crap.

Two main issues seem to be CU and EU and the YESSERS insistance they will be in both!! Now this is my take on the situation as it stands The rUK would be the continuing state, Scotland would need to reapply or have enough existing members in favour of amending the constitution to allow them to c

Nevermore666
12-09-2014, 09:38 PM
BBC News favours the No Campaign by a ratio of more than 2 to 1
By Professor John Robertson
In February of this year, BBC Scotland reported me to my employer, the University of the West of Scotland, for allegedly bringing both them and the University into ‘corporate disrepute’. Luckily I kept my job. What had caused their venomous reaction? I had carried out research which revealed bias in their coverage of the Scottish Referendum campaigns. Most offensive to them, given their proud claim to impartiality, had been my finding that they had favoured the No campaign by a 3 to 2 ratio.

I'd have sacked you ;D ;D

neilo
12-09-2014, 09:49 PM

Lol.

Two main issues seem to be CU and EU and the YESSERS insistance they will be in both!! Now this is my take on the situation as it stands The rUK would be the continuing state, Scotland would need to reapply or have enough existing members in favour of

cuervo
12-09-2014, 10:00 PM
I have a million and one research documents on EU law.

I have a very strong ***ch on the treasury being forced to do what's in the best interest of rUK (as most economists will agree) in event of independence.

You've got 'your take'.

How's the #popcorn? XD

neilo
12-09-2014, 10:14 PM

I have a very strong ***ch on the treasury being forced to do what's in the best interest of rUK (as most economists will agree) in event of independence.

You've got 'your take'.

How's the #popcorn? XD

..ok but as things stand what I've stated is factually correct???
At

cuervo
12-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Factually correct? You're opinion is factually correct, aye.

Well done. F*ck knows why I wasted 30 minutes of my time on you.

neilo
12-09-2014, 10:22 PM

You've spent time on me?? :heart:

XD

cuervo
12-09-2014, 10:24 PM

XD[/quote]

Consider it an education. For me at least.

#popcorn

stewarty27
12-09-2014, 10:44 PM

You've got 'your take'.

How's the #popcorn? XD

At[/quote]

The thing is Neilo there is No factuality on this subject, The EU have not be allowed to give a definitive opinion on this subject because the UK Gov have not allowed it, They could have had this clarity but as the member state they have steadfastly refused to seek that clarity, So common sense and pragmatism will prevail, Scotland with its massive oil and gas reserves 25% and growing renewable power, huge fishing area's, Would be fast tract into the EU, We already meet ALL of the criteria so whats the phuckin problem,

neilo
12-09-2014, 10:45 PM

XD[/quote]

Consider it an education. For me at least.

#popcorn[/quote]

:?

Have you really never come across people using the word popcorn to denote a situation where they're just gonna settle down and watch the unfolding action??

Nevermore666
12-09-2014, 10:49 PM

You've got 'your take'.

How's the #popcorn? XD

At[/quote]

The thing is Neilo there is No factuality on this subject, The EU have not be allowed to give a definitive opinion on this subject because the UK Gov have not allowed it, They could have had this clarity but as the member state they have steadfastly refused to seek that clarity, So common sense and pragmatism will prevail, Scotland with its massive oil and gas reserves 25% and growing renewable power, huge fishing area's, Would

Nevermore666
12-09-2014, 10:54 PM
The EU have not be allowed to give a definitive opinion on this subject because the UK Gov have not allowed it, [/quote]

UK gov not allowing the EU to give an opinion? Is this the same EU that's causing civil war in Ukraine through its expansionist policies?

Get a feckin grip and stop the bull crap lies.

neilo
12-09-2014, 11:00 PM

You've got 'your take'.

How's the #popcorn? XD

At[/quote]

The thing is Neilo there is No factuality on this subject, The EU have not be allowed to give a definitive opinion on this subject because the UK Gov have not allowed it, They could have had this clarity but as the member state they have steadfastly refused to seek that clarity, So common sense and pragmatism will prevail, Scotland with its massive oil and gas reserves 25% and growing renewable power, huge fishing area's, Would be fast tract into the EU, We already meet ALL of the criteria so whats the phuckin

Nevermore666
12-09-2014, 11:03 PM
And work together for a better Scotland and UK?