Jamb0MackemClaret
14-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Please don't do it.

hampsteadclaret
14-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Come on Jambo..say why not..?

Claretforever
14-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Because it's not a clapping song. I'm not keen on clappers full stop, unless they're singing too. Clappers end up clapping too fast and the singers try to keep pace, meaning the songs burn out and stop too quickly.

Lancashire Home though is best just sung to, not clapped along with. Anyone at Charlton last season will know this. Far more impressive when there's no clapping.

ClaretTony2014
14-09-2014, 11:30 AM
It was fantastic the way it was sung and clapped to yesterday - we even got close to getting our token Yorkshireman to join in.

Rowls
14-09-2014, 11:31 AM
clap
clap
clap

Quicknick
14-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Token Yorkshiremen, Tony!

hampsteadclaret
14-09-2014, 11:43 AM
- must say I was impressed with the Palace fans yesterday.
Those in the Arthur Wait stand with us made a lot of racket, and their fans behind the goal in the Holmesdale Road Stand usually make plenty of noise..particularly that bunch down the corner dressed in black with the big flags who never shut up all afternoon.

With our noise it was a noisy afternoon,

(the big fat young Burnley lad who attempted a one man invasion of the CP mob on the other side of the green tarpaulin from us, in a vain attempt to 'get arrested' made a proper clown of himself.)

Jamb0MackemClaret
14-09-2014, 11:51 AM
hampstead - when folk clap along, the rhythm inevitably gets lost because it gets sped up too much. it's supposed to be a slow one, not a rushed one because people can't clap in time.

ClaretTony2014
14-09-2014, 11:56 AM
"Token Yorkshiremen, Tony!"

Yes we take one with us on our trips :D

jdrobbo
14-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Yes, just one, for our sins.

Notrigsbyscat
14-09-2014, 01:32 PM
I promise to clap, in tempo, when we sing the song, while in front of my TV. But this only applies if everyone gets the words 100% correct

fidelcastro
14-09-2014, 02:21 PM
People couldn't have got this more wrong yesterday. :blue:

For a start it's "HOME" not "HOMES", and the clapping after a few repeats just drowns it out.

Why are some people just so obsessed with clapping in every song we sing? :blue:

ClaretBez
14-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Wont sing or clap to a Scouse song.

Somebody might think we'd nicked it!

claretspice
14-09-2014, 07:16 PM
I think people need to stop getting too precious about whether its "homes" or "home". It really doesn't matter; its a bloody football song for goodness sake and it makes absolutely no difference to the sentiment of the chant.

As for clapping, to be perfectly honest I thought it was fine yesterday. We kept it going for the better part of 15 minutes during the second half, so it can't have been drowning it out too much. If you want to get really into the detail, its a folk song originally so it probably lends itself to hand-clapping. The key is tempo - its a slowish song and if anything folk clapping can help keep that tempo steady, rather than the other way round.

Its a great chant - reminds me a bit of the sort of sound the Welsh rugby fans make.

Also, on the subject of chanting - credit to the lads trying to get the David Jones chant going. Good one, that.

mdd2
14-09-2014, 07:23 PM
I sounds great but could someone post the lyrics sung at the games please.

big_ears_longside
14-09-2014, 07:45 PM
I agree with the op no clapping. Sounds much better without it. As said earlier the claps just go out of rhythm and ruin the song as they did on sat.

claretblue
14-09-2014, 08:25 PM
'...I sounds great...'

it's all Mee Mee Mee mdd2! >;)

:)

Mature_claret
14-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Yes, I must agree, the singing was appalling - the guy behind me struggled in the upper register, and the couple to my left were a bit pitchy ;D

fidelcastro
14-09-2014, 11:53 PM
"I think people need to stop getting too precious about whether its "homes" or "home". It really doesn't matter; its a bloody football song for goodness sake and it makes absolutely no difference to the sentiment of the chant.

As for clapping, to be perfectly honest I thought it was fine yesterday. We kept it going for the better part of 15 minutes during the second half, so it can't have been drowning it out too much. If you want to get really into the detail, its a folk song originally so it probably lends itself to hand-clapping. The key is tempo - its a slowish song and if anything folk clapping can help keep that tempo steady, rather than the other way round."

I think we have a new entry for the most wildly inaccurate post of the year! :/

CombatClaret
15-09-2014, 12:21 AM
The song has a BPM slower than 60 (ie: one second) or Adagio 'slow and stately' which has been (un)scientifically proven to be impossible to keep time to without speeding up.

Jamb0MackemClaret
15-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Honestly I felt every time people started clapping it took all the rhythm out of it and it went quiet until the clapping stopped, then people started singing it again... might just be me being precious about it, but I just don't think the clapping works for this one. If people could clap in time it would probably be fine. But they can't.

ClaretTony2014
15-09-2014, 09:28 AM
"I think people need to stop getting too precious about whether its "homes" or "home". It really doesn't matter"

Oh yes it does - it's home

claretspice
15-09-2014, 12:32 PM
"Honestly I felt every time people started clapping it took all the rhythm out of it and it went quiet until the clapping stopped, then people started singing it again... might just be me being precious about it, but I just don't think the clapping works for this one. If people could clap in time it would probably be fine. But they can't."

I understand what you are saying, but i'd suggest the evidence suggests people can't sing in time either, so i'd suggest Burnley fans are just rubbish time keepers rather than anything else. Even no nay never gets out of time by the second line of the chorus.

mdd2
15-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Pleeeeeaaaaaase post the lyrics someone!!!!!!!

Jamb0MackemClaret
15-09-2014, 01:20 PM
That's true but the rhythm of IOLH seems to hold quite well.

"Pleeeeeaaaaaase post the lyrics someone!!!!!!!"

In our Lancashire home
We speak with an accent exceedingly rare
The Longside of Burnley will always be there
In our Lancashire home

Is there another verse?

braindead
15-09-2014, 01:36 PM
I will bring a metronome for the Sunderland game, then there are NO excuses for out of time chanting or irregular clapping.

Hope I get it past the stewards...

Jamb0MackemClaret
15-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Nah, just get a drum.

hello_dave
15-09-2014, 01:54 PM
I don`t like us singing it at all!...its Liverpools chant, we need to be more original.
What`s happened to "Come on you Clarets"?
Now that is a song that when in full voice sounds awesome!

clareturion
15-09-2014, 02:27 PM
In our Lancashire home
The Longside of Burnley will always be there
In our Lancashire home

About time we updated our repertoire of songs as it's patently obvious the longside of Burnley isn't there anymore. We could at least update for accuracy by singing

In our Lancashire home
Turf Moor in Burnley will always be there
In our Lancashire home

...but no continued mindless, inaccurate, unimaginative, outdated drivel like NO Nay Never, trees standing by the FA Cup... WTF!

Prefer " No one likes us "...at least it's accurate !

BobS_2014
15-09-2014, 03:05 PM
The original lyrics for the Scouse dirge we seem to have adopted:

IN MY LIVERPOOL HOME
(Pete McGovern)

The Scaffold

I was born in Liverpool, down by the docks,
My religion was Catholic; occupation - hard knocks.
At stealing from lorries, I was adept,
and underneath overcoats each night I slept.

CHORUS: "In my Liverpool home,
in my Liverpool Home,
We speak with an accent exceedingly rare;
(we) meet under a statue exceedingly bare.
If you want a cathedral,
we've got one to spare, in my Liverpool home."

Back in the Forties the world it went mad,
and Hitler he threw at us all that he had.
When the smoke and the dust had all cleared from the air,
"Thank God," said my old man," the Pier Head's still there."

Over at Anfield the shirts they are red.
And the players play football as though they were dead.
While over at Goodison* the shirts they are blue,
and the football they play is fantastic to view.

If it's football you're wanting, the team at the top,
is the team that

mdd2
15-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all those lyrics.

CasaDeClaret
15-09-2014, 03:28 PM
I don`t like us singing it at all!...its Liverpools chant, we need to be more original.

Liverpool are just a Celtic tribute act

LoveCurryPies
15-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Maybe some Clarets have got more than one Lancashire abode in which case. "Homes" would be relevant