PDA

View Full Version : Sitting and standing

7decades
15-09-2014, 07:52 AM
My visit to Palace on Saturday was spoilt by people standing causing the people behind them to stand and so on and so forth. Eventually I had to move to very right of the stand but still could not see the game without standing myself. I was not alone , as the game went on there was a constant stream of people seeking refuge from the standers.

If people want to stand why can`t they choose to position themselves where they don`t spoil it for others ? I have a problem with my knees and ankles and find it very difficult to stand for prolonged periods.
I had the same problems at some games last year and if standing in front of sitters is not addressed there is little point in me attending games in future.

I know from the comments of many on saturday that I am not alone but what do you think ?

ClaretTony2014
15-09-2014, 08:33 AM
"If people want to stand why can`t they choose to position themselves where they don`t spoil it for others ?"

It is considerably more difficult when the numbers are higher and people then have to sit in their allocated seats. There were examples last season, and both Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich come to mind, where those wishing to stand were advised by stewards to take seats further back, but that was when there was the space available to allow for people to sit anywhere.

I was forced to stand throughout the game on Saturday at Palace. It can be a big problem for me because of my arthritic knees. It's worse in the winter months and so at the moment I'm not struggling quite so much.

Until the day comes when standing is permitted again I don't see how the problem can be avoided unfortunately.

cockneyclaret
15-09-2014, 10:04 AM
I was shocked to see most standing at palace, this fixture is normally a sit down crowd.
I understand the OP totally but unfortunately with allocated seating this will happen away from home.
If its unreserved then people that prefer to stand would normally go to the back.

Like Tony mentioned sheff weds and Ipswich away last season was perfect for that.

There was plenty of spare seats at the back and no one was standing because the low gantry means you couldn't see :(

ClaretTony2014
15-09-2014, 10:42 AM
"I was shocked to see most standing at palace, this fixture is normally a sit down crowd."

I was surprised too. Some grounds you have come to expect to stand but Palace has never been one of them.

cockneyclaret
15-09-2014, 10:46 AM
I dont know where you were standing(sitting ;D )
But the back blocks majority were sitting and the front blocks everyone was standing.
very strange!!

ClaretTony2014
15-09-2014, 11:02 AM
"I dont know where you were standing(sitting"

On the back row of the front block

ClaretandBrown
15-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Glad you posted this because I found it strange I was forced to stand all match simply because I wasn't able to see the pitch if I had sat down and I had bought a ticket for a seat. My bloody legs were aching at the end of the game!!

7decades
15-09-2014, 12:15 PM
My seats were in row 47 , the second block back , some 5 or 6 rows off the back of the stand. People standing in front of me when I took my seat , hoped they would sit when the game started but they could not because of the people in front of them. Several people around my original seat came and joined me in my new seat as the game went on because they could not see.

the_quoon
15-09-2014, 12:19 PM
an issue that could easily be solved by people having basic manners.

7decades
15-09-2014, 12:26 PM
That is the point I`m making when I say if you want to stand do it where you don`t inconvenience other people who want/NEED to sit.

roseylee
15-09-2014, 01:17 PM
the vast majority of fans who go to matches home or away, would prefer to stand. making grounds all seater after hillsbrough changed the whole dynamics of watching football. it also totally killed the atmostphere at most grounds as well.

the choice as gone now, if you prefer to sit down thats fair enough, but it is not natural to many fans who prefer to stand, any exciting or goalmouth action will result in fans automatically standing up.

been in packed stadiums stood side by side singing and chanting, was all part of the buzz of going to football throughout previous decades. sadly going to a lot of grounds nowadays resembles entering a funeral parlour or your old aunties sitting room. ;D

ClaretTony2014
15-09-2014, 02:24 PM
"he vast majority of fans who go to matches home or away, would prefer to stand."

Simply not true. Some want to stand, some want to sit, but with the rules as they are it means people who want to sit, and sometimes have to sit, find themselves behind people who are standing.

roseylee
15-09-2014, 02:58 PM
thats simply because the fans who want to stand claret tony simply have no choice anymore.

if there was a poll as to whether standing could or should be brought back into football stadiums, i guarantee you now, the overwhelming majority of fans would vote in favour of it happening.

the fact it would cheaper and a lot better atmostphere alone would see to that. ;D

ClaretTony2014
15-09-2014, 04:03 PM
"if there was a poll as to whether standing could or should be brought back into football stadiums, i guarantee you now, the overwhelming majority of fans would vote in favour of it happening."

We ran a poll on here in January and there was an overwhelming majority in favour of standing. I voted in favour of standing because I want to sit and be able to see.

"the fact it would cheaper"

And you are living in dream world if you think clubs would not actually provide cheaper prices for any potential standing areas.

roseylee
15-09-2014, 04:41 PM
try looking at german football claret tony, i have been over there, a damn sight cheaper than over here, standing aint a problem and the atmostpheres are on another level. if they can do it no reason why the english cannot.

the problem in this country, is the fans have had to accept, scandalous prices to sit down, when the majority dont want to, an whole generation of fans have been priced out of going to football, its not a working mans sport anymore, a lot who go now, have no concept have what it used to be like at football, that is why the atmostpheres are crap nowadays.

ClaretTony2014
15-09-2014, 04:49 PM
I don't disagree with any of that, I was just disagreeing with the 'vast majority want to stand' suggestion.

Jamb0MackemClaret
15-09-2014, 06:02 PM
At grounds where a blind eye is turned to standing it would make sense for the away section to be unreserved, with the understanding that the front part is for folk who want to sit and the back part for folk who want to stand. Shouldn't be difficult?

southcoastclaret
16-09-2014, 05:40 AM
It is true that most people would prefer to stand - look at how many chose to go on the terrace compared to the stand at Yeovil last year.

However, that doesn't negate the OP's point. If there are only seats, then people should sit down. I took my kids to see us play in the Premier League last time round at Portsmouth, and virtually everyone was standing, and they saw very little of the game.

surrey_longsider
16-09-2014, 07:18 AM
I took my 7 year old to his first ever game at Selhurst on Saturday, along with my Father in Law who had a bad back and knees. My son had to stand on the seat most of the game to see anything at all, specifically when play was to our left. It didnt spoil his day, but wasn't easy for him to see what was going on. It was however easier in the second half.

DiBraidio
16-09-2014, 08:14 AM
I was just reading an article on the BBC about Kanye West forcing people to stand up at his concerts. It finished with a comment that there are 11 million disabled people in the UK. I was shocked to read that, I checked it out and found the following quote from official demographic statistics that backs it up:

There are over 11 million people with a limiting long term illness, impairment or disability.

That's an awful lot of people. It made me wonder if we are really doing enough to accommodate these people. Are there people who don't go to football because of the lack of facilities?

ClaretTony2014
16-09-2014, 05:13 PM
"At grounds where a blind eye is turned to standing it would make sense for the away section to be unreserved, with the understanding that the front part is for folk who want to sit and the back part for folk who want to stand. Shouldn't be difficult?"

If you make it unreserved then the capacity allowed is 90 per cent which is vastly reduced.

JohnMcGreal
16-09-2014, 05:51 PM
I do like to stand at away games. Usually on my seat.

HatfieldClaret
16-09-2014, 07:30 PM
I much prefer standing and at Selhurst I stood throughout the game, in row 13, as did all those about me. Apologies folks.

However, I must admit that I was guilty of not even considering those who may have trouble standing throughout.

Time for separate standing areas ...the cogs of the FA do turn slowly though...

butterflyvenom
16-09-2014, 11:41 PM
If the modern way for safety is to sit, we must sit. Fans, including myself who would prefer to stand up can't. That's why we have been made to accept ALL SEATER STADIUMS.
There shouldn't be a halfway house in a all seater, because it is flying in the face of an all seater stadium to Stand up!!!
If inept stewards allow fans to stand they should be sacked. If an incident occured due to fans standing up whilst sold a ticket for a seat, then the club should be punished for not dealing appropriatley with ignorant fans.
What if a nine year old child was told to expect to sit throughout a match , had the misfortune to be behind a lumpen , inconsiderate git , who decided to stand for 90 minutes?Post Hilllsborough, there is surely no room for debate. If they are dedicated to fans welfare, and sitting down is their answer, any one ignoring this policy should be ejected immediatley. Or am I thick?

roseylee
17-09-2014, 12:07 AM
all seater stadiums have been the norm for years, butterflyvenom, but you know as well as i do, and many other fans do. that the reality is totally different.

how many fans do you see constantly stood up throughout a game ? literally thousands every week, come rain sun hail or blow.

you only have to switch the telly on to watch sky or motd to see it. the away fans will stand throughout a game its their day out, they aint gonna sit down there like dummies. whats the point in going if you cannot let steam off eh, its common sense. if you wanna do that you can stay at home and watch it on the telly or in the pub.

a leeds game away everybody stands up, even in this day and age. ;D

butterflyvenom
17-09-2014, 12:25 AM
So, you are basically saying there is no seating policy. We might as well do as we please. The infirm, small of stature, can all go to hell if some pig ignorant mob in front decide to stand up in a narrow aisle designed to have a few seats bolted down for seemingly no good reason.

roseylee
17-09-2014, 12:40 AM
butterflyvenom, there is a seating policy every ground is all seater. the infirm and disabled can sit at the front of the stands.

the problem is with the the rest of the fans as you well know, is that it will never work in a million years in this country, especially with away supporters. you wont get certain fans to sit down throughout a game its impossible.

if it got to that stage, the grounds would be half empty every week.

Quicknick
17-09-2014, 05:03 AM
What was the Burnley following at Selhurst Park, please? Around 2,000?

NottsClaret
17-09-2014, 09:56 AM
We’re stuck with it for a good while I reckon. Standing up is more or less accepted at every ground now for away fans, particularly when there’s larger followings in the Prem.

There’s no political will to reintroduce terracing - apart from the Lib Dems which doesn’t really count - so you’d hope there’d be some sort of compromise of having ‘standing’ seated areas and ‘seated’ seated areas.

But this would make the mockery of the current ground safety laws more official so it’s unlikely to be introduced either. We’ll just keep on with this situation which suits nobody.

ClaretTony2014
17-09-2014, 09:59 AM
"What was the Burnley following at Selhurst Park, please? Around 2,000?"

Was over 2,000 but not seen a figure given. When I find it I'll add it to the fixture page. - view external link (http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/feat/ed14/fixtures__results_201415_834272/index.shtml)

the_quoon
17-09-2014, 11:42 AM
this loosely-related article from the guardian makes some excellent points about away tickets. - view external link (http://t.co/Y91CJV6i1a)

roseylee
17-09-2014, 04:21 PM
exactly notts claret, every fan is supposed to sit down in an all seater stadium, due to health and safety etc.

but the reality is they could be stewards all over the place, but it does not and wont happen in a million years, most fans in the country know this already, its about time reality prevailed. and standing was reintroduced in certain areas of the ground. then the argument would be no more.

football matches aint like going to the cinema or another sedate pastime. passions are enflamed from the first minute to the last, and in that scenario, not many fans are going to be stuck to their seat for 90 minutes, thats for sure.