PDA

View Full Version : Dementia/Alzheimer's appeal

Croglin
18-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Hi all, I know we all get inundated with requests for cash donations, but this one is close to home. Last year my wife lost her mum to dementia, something which unfortunately touches many families. Dementia is a dreadful disease, her passing was a several year drawn out affair and it is so difficult to watch a loved one disappear in front of you until they no longer recognise you. Care is acceptable but not brilliant, money is needed to further research and provide support for careers and family. So, Mrs. Croglin and I are doing a 10km charity walk on Saturday 11th October in memory of her mum. If you feel you would like to make a contribution, if only a small one, please do so through the link below, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU

UTM - view external link (http://www.justgiving.com/christines-memory-walk945)

Brin
18-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Good luck with the walk John...donation given.

kempo
18-09-2014, 04:26 PM
A very good cause Crogs but I would take issue with you saying the standard of dementia care is acceptable...It's a national disgrace.

Adventus2012
18-09-2014, 05:50 PM
A very good cause Crogs but I would take issue with you saying the standard of dementia care is acceptable...It's a national disgrace.

Well said Kempo!! you are spot on.

Good luck croglin a very worthwhile cause... I will donate.

Adventus2012
18-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Donation Given Good luck :star: :star: :star:

CTMilller
18-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Excellent initiative, Crogs. Should be a walk in the park for you two given that you regularly walk to NYS and back from Whiston!

villamiller
18-09-2014, 06:29 PM
donated ..good luck ,you are a :star: :star: :star: :star:

Croglin
18-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks CTMiller, Villamiller, Sota, Adventus, Brin, much appreciated guys. Thanks for the honest comment kempo, to the point as usual.

Croglin
19-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Sorry to offend the O/T police, I forgot.

Thanks again to those who have contributed so far, it's appreciated. I had thought of wearing a pair of red heels a la Corner, but didn't think that I'd either get away with it or be alluring enough. However, I do feel that the charity I'm box rattling for is as important as hers so I'll ask/beg one more time for a contribution no matter how small.

Thanks people.

UTM

PeteWaller
19-09-2014, 05:28 PM
All the best John. Donation given

Adventus2012
19-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Bump... Come on lads and lasses please give your support to this good cause! every little helps/

UTM

Croglin
20-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Thanks for your donations, Pete Waller and Leedsmiller, very much appreciated. 308 views and only 7 donations, come on fellow Millers surely you can do better than that, this disease affects so many families, dig deep and help out.

CTMilller
20-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Sorry to offend the O/T police, I forgot.

Thanks again to those who have contributed so far, it's appreciated. I had thought of wearing a pair of red heels a la Corner, but didn't think that I'd either get away with it or be alluring enough. However, I do feel that the charity I'm box rattling for is as important as hers so I'll ask/beg one more time for a contribution no matter how small.

Thanks people.

UTM

I'll put in a bit more money if you'll promise NOT to wear the red heels...Feel a bit queasy just at the thought of it.

Croglin
21-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Unashamed bump!

Adventus2012
22-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Bump... To all the gamblers on here... why don't you have one bet less this week and donate the stake to this excellent cause?

I guarantee you'll feel better for doing so!

Come on all you retired millionaires put your hands in your pockets. :/ :/

Corner
22-09-2014, 05:58 PM
I will gladly lend you the red heels Croglin especially since I won't be needing them that weekend B)

Don't be ashamed to ask for donations - alzheimers/dementia affects so many families and the treatments are largely inadequate, misunderstood and often inappropriate. My own mum was misdiagnosed and treated for several years for Parkinsons. After booking herself a respite holiday for a few days back in 2007, (I was going away for a weekend) she was admitted to RGH in a coma. From that point she took 11 months to die.

Having left her brain to medical science (her contribution to research/a cure) I was later sent the conclusions. She never had Parkinsons - she had something called Lewy Body Disease - or in other words, the 2nd most common form of Alzheimers.

Good luck with the walk. I'm sure it'll be a breeze for you and my donation will follow soon(student loan pending!!!) O:)

Corner :)

Croglin
22-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Corner, many thanks for the support and donation, it's appreciated.

I do have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that only 9 donations have been made after 461 views, it's a pretty poor pick up. Don't forget people, we all get old and the chances are that most of us or a close family member will fall into the dementia trap. Think of it as a little bit of insurance, forward planning if you like. I'm really not asking for a fortune. Give it another thought, please!

kempo
22-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Hope it doesn't seem pedantic but I think you mean second commonest cause of dementia..not Alzheimer's.

Croglin
22-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Kempo, yes it does, just make a donation.

PS thanks for the medical advice.

howardp
23-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Done and bump!

Croglin
23-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Thanks Howardp and RichardT, very much appreciated.

Bump again

Croglin
23-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks Scum Triumphant, appreciated.

Another bump, help keep it going guys!

Croglin
24-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Come on guys, it's still a while until my walk, there's plenty of time to contribute to this worthy cause. Even scum triumphant has started another appeal for cancer research, by remaining alcohol free during October. I will be contributing shortly.

scum_triumphant
24-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Thank you right back for the donation mate. Good luck with the walk. I'm dreading mine.

Croglin
25-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Look, 714 people have viewed this thread but only a handful of you have made any contribution, which I am extremely grateful for. My daughter has put her appeal on her Facebook page and is squids in. It's getting embarrassing now, I thought my fellow Millers would be more forthcoming than this. Perhaps I should change the of the appeal to " Lets burn Hillsborough down" , you'd contribute then wouldn't you!

I know it's not football related, I know you get repeated requests for money, but this is something that will, not might, affect every member of this board either directly or indirectly at some stage during your life. So, come on, pledge a bit of money, it doesn't need to be much. The link to the donation page is at the top of this thread. Once again, I thank you.

Adventus2012
25-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Bump... Come on Millers dig deep for this good cause... A bit of a poor showing so far, in my opinion... seeing as we have so many from the upper classes on here with their bags of cash in the bank and expensive foreign holidays!It wouldn't break the bank to give a small donation or is it just BS??? :blue: :(

Adventus2012
25-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Well said Croglin...

link here as well>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - view external link (www.justgiving.com/christines-memory-walk945/)

merry_miller
25-09-2014, 07:07 PM
I've donated.

Must say i'm a tad uncomfortable with the attempting to guilt people into donating though, should be down to each person to decide whether they donate or not without feeling pressured to donate

For me personally it's a good cause as my Gran in the later stages of Alzheimers & I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but others have no doubt got friends/family members who suffer from other ailments.

CAMiller
25-09-2014, 07:34 PM
[quote="Croglin" , you'd contribute then wouldn't you!

I know it's not football related, I know you get repeated requests for money, but this is something that will, not might, affect every member of this board either directly or indirectly at some stage during your life. So, come on, pledge a bit of money, it doesn't need to be much. The link to the donation page is at the top of this thread. Once again, I thank you.[/quote]

Just a note - 700+ is views of the thread (the number of times it's been opened by anyone) not the number of different people who have viewed it and as it's been q

vespabri
26-09-2014, 01:17 AM
I"ll be donating Croglin pal, definately.
My Dad is showing early signs of Dementia/Alzeimers..as my mate at work says.."Get ready Bri cos its horrendous".
My Mum can"t cope as she"s all on with her own problems..Lung & Bone Cancer.

Croglin
27-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Thanks Vespabri it's much appreciated and also thanks Carlo, you're a true gent.

vespabri
29-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Donated pal..all the best. :star:

Croglin
29-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Thanks Bri, as I said before, it's very much appreciated.

Croglin
07-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Just in case anyone would still like to make a small donation, the walk is on Saturday. Whatever the case, heartfelt thanks to all of you who have made a donation, it really is appreciated.