PDA

View Full Version : Today Was A Reality Check

warksclaret
28-09-2014, 05:18 PM
One of the few positives about today was that there are lessons to be learned before the season extends further
-we have no pace in Wallace,Kightly and Boyd.Having said that Kightly ran his heart out, but Wallace just is not a PL player
-Ben Mee was fully exposed.I like the lad but once beaten he is never going to get back. His legs always look tired. I think Steven Ward might be more suited to the PL
-Chabolah I thought did well and he hopefully has earned himself a regular start
-I think SD shows too much loyalty ie Reid, Wallace,should never have started
-we totally lack creativity in the final third, so if we go behind then we have major problems

timmeh14
28-09-2014, 05:20 PM
I haven't worked out yet if Mee is a liability or he's left too exposed from that side of the field.

He had a few mares in the Championship too but yet again, he's always on his own.

As for Chabolah, I thought he looked uninterested and sluggish today and was bloody lucky not to be sent off completely unnecessarily.

Boliclaret
28-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Having said that Kightly ran his heart out,

But is that enough? his lack of pace and distribution today were painfully apparent.

AuntSally
28-09-2014, 05:24 PM
I've never rated Mee. But is he even a left back? I thought his best position was CB.

silkyskills1
28-09-2014, 05:29 PM
After today Ben Mee is going to be targeted by every team we meet. I've a lot to time for him but aPremier League left back he isn't.

ksrclaret
28-09-2014, 05:35 PM
I really like Ben Mee, he's a lovely lad and he played ever so well last season. But the standard of player he's facing week in week out is really exposing his frailties at left back. He looks lost out there out there on the left and doesn't have the pace to recover once the ball is in behind him.

scouseclaret
28-09-2014, 05:39 PM
A reality check for whom?

Think most of us knew we were going to struggle given the total lack of investment. It could be a reality check for the board, but I think they knew as well. Either way, there's sod all we can do about it now.

cockneyclaret
28-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Totally agree timmeh

warksclaret
28-09-2014, 05:41 PM
He attacks the ball well and for a full back he is great aerially, however a quick one-two and you have him beaten, with little chance of him recovering

claretspice
28-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Today was undoubtedly a reality check. We learnt that if we want to play 4-1-4-1, we need more pace than Wallace offers. I fear that we probably also learnt that Steven Reid is best deployed as a quasi-coach than as a holding midfielder because he didn't get close to Sessignon.

As for Mee, purely on instinct I'd say Mee was more successful in preventing crosses coming in from 1 v 1 situations than Trippier was

scouseclaret
28-09-2014, 05:44 PM
I thought Mee was OK for most of the match but tired badly at the end.

warksclaret
28-09-2014, 05:46 PM
At least Trippier is quick to recover and when beaten can get a tackle in

edwardianclaret
28-09-2014, 05:47 PM
"As for Chabolah, I thought he looked uninterested and sluggish today and was bloody lucky not to be sent off completely unnecessarily."

+1

barry_chuckle
28-09-2014, 05:52 PM
"Today Was A Reality Check"

For me today was like those Tuesday night games against Huddersfield and Boro in the 2012/2013 season, we looked like we couldn't score in brothel and Dyche playing with 1 up front.

:blue:

enola_gay
28-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Today was only a reality check to anyone who thought perming any two from Jutkiewicz/Barnes/Sordell would be acceptable back-up for Ings & Vokes, or that Marney and Jones could be adequately replaced by some unholy combination of Reid/Arfield/Wallace.

Not having proper alternatives to four first-team starters is understandable. Not having a proper alternative for any of them is scandalous.

summitclaret
28-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Enola Gay is spot on. Just shows how good Jones and Marney have been for us. How long are they likely to be out?

g69
28-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Enola Gay we certainly were Blown Away
UTC

gosia
28-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Reality check it might have been especially in terms of who we have available when a few down.

But even in the situation we found ourself (missing two midfielders in addition to Ings) today I think Sean made a mistake in starting both Reid and Wallace. Neither are midfielders and it's no coincidence that Sean took them both off.
Chalobah should have started.

I think also it's time to rest Mee and give Ward a start, possibly also Duff and give Keane a chance. We were reasonably ok defensively apart from corners where we were badly exposed. Two far post headers should have been dealt with by either Heaton (the first) and Duff (the second).
I say Duff because I think he should have been at the far post as he is more capable of defending the long ball over than Shackall. He's bigger and taller for a start.

Kightly needs more games to see whether he can make an impact but needs to play alongside a settled and better midfield than we had out today.

Overall we'll do well to hang on over

garfunkal
28-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Hardly a reality check ,when it was inevitable with the clueless board we have

claretspice
28-09-2014, 07:09 PM
"At least Trippier is quick to recover and when beaten can get a tackle in"

Except he didn't today, not once, and we are conceding too many crosses from Trippier's side - certainly more than we are from the left in the last couple of games. In fairness, we defend very narrow, which makes it very difficult for either full back to engage their opposite number early.

Enola is spot on. Today was the day when the folly of our summer transfer policy really hit home. The first eleven might be barely good enough, but the lack of realistic replacements in key positions below that wafer-thin crust was always going to handicap us at key times, and so its proved in a key game against a potential relegation rival.

CaptJohn
28-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Clueless board?? I don't think so. Perhaps cautious board and rightly so IMHO. Yes we got stuffed today by a better organised, more skilful team but that's life. Take a look at the Yank golf team today :P

hbclaret
28-09-2014, 09:58 PM
For me today showed that without Jones and Marney our replacements were far too sluggish. The fact that Reid, Wallace and Kightly were all making their first start was patently obvious as they were simply yards off the required pace. Last season we were one of the quickest and fittest teams and we produced vibrant flowing football but now the players seem to treat the ball like a hot potato.Obviously confidence plays an important part and we have got some quality to come back into the team but today we just weren't in it and the longer the game went on the more drained we became. Any true Burnley supporter knows that we always have games like this but we have to hope that it is a while before we throw another one in.

the_quoon
29-09-2014, 08:23 AM
a reality check only for those who weren't already living in the real world.

three of our most important players out and a bizarre change of formation and game plan.

stick to what we know and with a full strength side we'll be much better off.

we're no more likely to go down now than we were before yesterday's game.

DiBraidio
29-09-2014, 08:35 AM
At the end of the game Chalobah was just jogging around the pitch, no urgency, no pressing. OK we were 3-0 then 4-0 down but it's not how SD wants them to play. Other than that I thought he had a few nice touches other than his first tackle which was a shocker.

He needs to drop Reid and Wallace for sure, we can't afford to carry passangers particularly in centre mid and Reid was no better than Edgar or Stock.

When Dyche works on defending set pieces I hope he works on a few of our own. It's one of the ways that he can translate work on the training pitch into goals for. As Jamie Carragher said after Dyche's post match interview, he's not going to make poor strikers into good strikers with a few sessions on the training ground.