PDA

View Full Version : Guest and Chrimes

jolly_roger
29-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Nothing seems to be happening with this.

What's the latest situation?

Who is holding the development up?

In whose court is the "planning ball" at the moment?

More than a year since Rothbiz posted about this.

Has anything changed?

Is there any effort at Council level to sort this out apart from a meeting once in a blue moon?

Anybody know anything?

millavanilla
29-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Nothing seems to be happening with this.

What's the latest situation?

Who is holding the development up?

In whose court is the "planning ball" at the moment?

More than a year since Rothbiz posted about this.

Has anything changed?

Is there any effort at Council level to sort this out apart from a meeting once in a blue moon?

Anybody know anything?

was talking about this last week...
just knock it down..

CAMiller
29-09-2014, 03:56 PM
They are still making the fire hydrants there aren't they ;D

millavanilla
29-09-2014, 04:08 PM
The frontage would look good if they incorporated it into another new building behind it...but other than that, its surely got to go..cant keep it like it is...and why arnt they using the car park at the away end? You would have thought the drainage issue would be sorted by now..even so...its only a few puddles..theres going to be trouble if they keep letting the away fans out with us..

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 04:09 PM
A joint statement issued this afternoon by RMBC and English Heritage made clear that because of the building's historical significance both locally and nationally there was absolutely no question of it being demolished.

Opportunities are still being explored to encourage a national hotel chain to purchase the building and maintain the facade as part of a prestige development.

Alternatively, Social Services could move into the building as it is, because that's all they are fit for.

Rothbiz
29-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Not heard owt recently. TS said at an event in February that discussions were ongoing with English Heritage and that it would moving forward.

There's a few references in the new local planning strategy about it being an important site and that planners would only support development that would in turn support the town centre.

rolymiller
29-09-2014, 04:41 PM
I don't geddit and forgive my ignorance on this but how can a fine old building like Doncaster gate hospital be demolished without a murmur and we have all this red tape to keep G and C buildings up.

Any explanations?

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 04:46 PM
I don't geddit and forgive my ignorance on this but how can a fine old building like Doncaster gate hospital be demolished without a murmur and we have all this red tape to keep G and C buildings up.

Any explanations?

I can see the logic in trying to save G&C to be fair. It is of great historical significance. I also delpore the demolition of Doncaster Hospital the building of which was actually paid for by the public of Rotherham.

The reason Rotherham planning demolished Doncaster Gate is that they could (not protected by English Heritage) and because they are idiots

rolymiller
29-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Thanks for that info DW

redandgreen
29-09-2014, 05:09 PM
If it had been in Bradford, it would have gone ages ago. They've pulled down far more attractive and historically significant buildings than the G&C building over the years.

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 05:12 PM
If it had been in Bradford, it would have gone ages ago. They've pulled down far more attractive and historically significant buildings than the G&C building over the years.

So are you suggesting we model ourselves on Bradford?

jolly_roger
29-09-2014, 05:42 PM

Any explanations?

I can see the logic in trying to save G&C to be fair. It is of great historical significance. I also delpore the demolition of Doncaster Hospital the building of which was actually paid for by the public of Rotherham.

The reason Rotherham planning demolished Doncaster Gate is that they could (not protected by English Heritage) and because they are idiots[/quote]

The "great historical significance" bit, says who?

Not at all justified. It's just a bog standard brass foundry built at different times to end up with a red brick monstrosity of no architectural merit.

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 06:04 PM

Any explanations?

The reason Rotherham planning demolished Doncaster Gate is that they could (not protected by English Heritage) and because they are idiots[/quote]

The "great historical significance" bit, says who?

Not at all justified. It's just a bog standard brass foundry built at different times to end up with a red brick monstrosity of no architectural merit.[/quote]

Sez English Heritage, sez Rotherham Arc

jolly_roger
29-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Actually I know a lot about brass foundries.

There's a lot of made up "facts" about G&C that just don't stand scrutiny.

The only architecturally significant bit (and that's debateable) is the surrounds of the main door on Don Street. The rest is just ordinary red bricks, plaster and rotting window frames.

As for surviving brass foundries there are plenty in the West Midlands, older and architecturally more significant than G&C.

Left to some folks we would still be living in caves.

BTW one of the dodgy facts is the one you quote about the site being the place where the screw down tap was invented. That's rubbish, G&C did patent the idea in 1845 but they set foot on the Don Street site in 1857 a good dozen years later. So the site isn't significant for that.

PokerMillersSwinton
29-09-2014, 06:32 PM
So if its that attractive why cant a compromise be met. Use the front of the building, if its safe and build something on to it like a pub/shops. All the history such as pictures old photos can be put on the walls in said pub/shops and its there for years to come. To go one further erect a statute/waterfall anything with a plaque saying This town was the birthplace of the screw down tap. Also why the stadium is called NEW YORK STADIUM. Because to be honest iam sick of looking at a smashed up falling down pile of dog **** every time i walk to my Church.How long is it before it falls down of somebody drives a digger into it by mistake and then nothing can be done. And on another subject whats the crack with having some gates put on the Don street entrance. it looks tacky with that ****ty temp fence.

jolly_roger
29-09-2014, 06:34 PM
It wasn't the birth-place of the screw down tap.

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 06:42 PM
That's right Roger, trot out the old "living in caves" cliches. Wanting to preserve our heritage does not equate with wanting to live in the past. It is about honouring and respecting the achievements of our ancestors. It is possible to do this and still live in the present. Just as all faithful Millers still go to New York Stadium but cherish Millmoor memories of a former age. Also please note that I acknowledged in my previous post that G&C was of little architectural significance. Perhaps you failed to notice this?

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 06:47 PM

I think you'll find that the high pressure loose valve screw down tap was invented and patented by the Chrimes Brothers and manufactured at the G&C site

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 06:50 PM
So if its that attractive why cant a compromise be met. Use the front of the building, if its safe and build something on to it like a pub/shops. All the history such as pictures old photos can be put on the walls in said pub/shops and its there for years to come. To go one further erect a statute/waterfall anything with a plaque saying This town was the birthplace of the screw down tap. Also why the stadium is called NEW YORK STADIUM. Because to be honest iam sick of looking at a smashed up falling down pile of dog **** every time i walk to my Church.How long is it before it falls down of somebody drives a digger into it by mistake and then nothing can be done. And on another subject whats the crack with having some gates put on the Don street entrance. it looks tacky with that ****ty temp fence.

That all seems far more reasonable than Sir Roger's standpoint on the issue.

walter10
29-09-2014, 06:51 PM

The only architecturally significant bit (and that's debateable) is the surrounds of the main door on Don Street. The rest is just ordinary red bricks, plaster and rotting window frames.

As for surviving brass foundries there are plenty in the West Midlands, older and architecturally more significant than G&C.

BTW one of the dodgy facts is the one you quote about the site being the place where the screw down tap was invented. That's rubbish, G&C did patent the idea in 1845 but they set foot on the Don Street site in 1857 a good dozen years later. So the site isn't significant for that.

I'm kind of thinking the ones in the West Midlands are not in Rotherham. Are the ones in the WM being demolished or preserved.

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 06:55 PM

I'm kind of thinking the ones in the West Midlands are not in Rotherham. Are the ones in the WM being demolished or preserv

PokerMillersSwinton
29-09-2014, 07:02 PM
I really can not understand why as adults people can get round a table and say say yes it needs to be acknowledged it has historical meaning, but its falling down fast..Ok then lets renovate it, and make it last. Lets make the people of Rotherham proud buy recognizing this.Instead it festers in the corner get more broken by the day. Everything has too much red tape... Is it a money issue ? Do English heritage have the cash or do they just lobby to save buildings. I am not savvy on there status.

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 07:10 PM
I really can not understand why as adults people can get round a table and say say yes it needs to be acknowledged it has historical meaning, but its falling down fast..Ok then lets renovate it, and make it last. Lets make the people of Rotherham proud buy recognizing this.Instead it festers in the corner get more broken by the day. Everything has too much red tape... Is it a money issue ? Do English heritage have the cash or do they just lobby to save buildings. I am not savvy on there status.

I think it's very much a money issue and unless someone can come up with an economically viable development programme that can retain part of the facade at least then it will be another significant Rotherham building lost. Never mind we will still have the new Tesco and Parkgate Retail World to bequeath to our grandchildren

jolly_roger
29-09-2014, 07:24 PM

I think you'll find that the high pressure loose valve screw down tap was invented and patented by the Chrimes Brothers and manufactured at the G&C site[/quote]

That's exactly what I mean about "facts" about the site. Yes the valves were made there but they weren't invented there. The patent was taken out when G&C were at their old Rotherham site (roughly where the market is now) 12 years before the Don Street site was built.

There is nothing significant about the G&C site.

As for the New York fire hydrant myth...hmmmmmm.

BTW for what its worth I think the Donny Gate building deserved preservation.

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 07:27 PM
No harm done, we'll just have to differ on the G&C issue Roger

jolly_roger
29-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Yes indeed, but it needs sorting one way or another.

I think the G&C development may prove to be a key to the football club's long term development.

The snails pace progress on this matter is unacceptable.

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Agreed!!!!!

CAMiller
29-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Unfortunately, money is at the root of things like this (or the lack of it). In the past 5 years an old, run down warehouse district in Seattle has been completely redeveloped into millions of square feet of office space etc. whilst retaining architecturally significant facades. The company behind this are not short of a bob or too though. Amazon have built there new corporate campus there.

Archiemiller
29-09-2014, 08:12 PM
No harm done, we'll just have to differ on the G&C issue RogerYou can all argue till the cows come home, the reality is we have a beautiful new football stadium which we are all proud of thats been built next door to a F**KIN SH**HOLE.The G&C site is an embarrassment FULL STOP if somebody can wire it up with dynamite i will gladly light the fuse.>:( >:( The Herritage people remind me of the politically correct brigade ARS**OLES. U.T.M

Barnsley_Miller
29-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Who exactly will benefit from "saving" an eye sore of a rundown site?

Or

Who exactly will miss the said site once demolished and cleared for Modern development?

Another point, just how many sites/buildings from Rotherhams historical past have already been knocked down and cleared never to be thought of again?

The G&C site needs clearing and making available for development asap.

Come on RMBC do the right thing, for once!

Barnsley_Miller
29-09-2014, 08:23 PM
No harm done, we'll just have to differ on the G&C issue RogerYou can all argue till the cows come home, the reality is we have a beautiful new football stadium which we are all proud of thats been built next door to a F**KIN SH**HOLE.The G&C site is an embarrassment FULL STOP if somebody can wire it up with dynamite i will gladly light the fuse.>:( >:( The Herritage people remind me of the politically correct brigade ARS**OLES. U.T.M[/quote]

Well said Archie m8 :star:

Parkwell_Down
29-09-2014, 08:36 PM
No harm done, we'll just have to differ on the G&C issue RogerYou can all argue till the cows come home, the reality is we have a beautiful new football stadium which we are all proud of thats been built next door to a F**KIN SH**HOLE.The G&C site is an embarrassment FULL STOP if somebody can wire it up with dynamite i will gladly light the fuse.>:( >:( The Herritage people remind me of the politically correct brigade ARS**OLES. U.T.M[/quote]

Do you think that is wise Captain Mainwaring, sir?

I think a survey is required. Possibility of sand boils inside G and C.

Tread carefully on this one.

Remember

Parkwell Down

Barnsley_Miller
29-09-2014, 08:38 PM

Do you that is wise Captain Mainwaring, sir?

I think a survey is required. Possibility of sand boils inside G and C.

Tread carefully on this one.

Remember

Parkwell Down[/quote]

What?

Deepmidwinter
29-09-2014, 09:04 PM

Just when you think you are up against Philistines the voice of reason rears it's head

Galant
30-09-2014, 05:11 PM
The council will only support development that supports town centre activities -'***** palace' it is then.

Deepmidwinter
30-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Who said satire was dead!

Rothbiz
01-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Waffle in the recently approved planning strategy:

The Former Guest and Chrimes site

5.4.66 The former Guest and Chrimes site has been brought back to life through the development of Riverside House, a new civic hub which provides office space, access to Council services and a new library and art space. Much of the remainder of the site and adjoining land, excluding the Listed Building, provides a new stadium, bringing Rotherham United Football Club back to the heart of the town. There is potential for further development in this location to make the most efficient use of the site. Given its location it will be important to ensure that any further development does not compete with, but complements Rotherham town centre. Proposals will therefore be supported where they are well integrated with adjoining uses and can be shown to support the *****ity and viability of the town centre. Whilst the Listed building presents a constraint to development, it may also provide opportunities for i

Deepmidwinter
01-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Seems fairly clear to me as council speak goes

jolly_roger
01-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Yet another department at Rotherham Council that just lets things slowly rumble on and on?

NEEDS SORTING not endlessly talking about it and attending meaningless meetings.

crashbang
01-10-2014, 01:44 PM
It was said on here a while back, it would take 8 million quid to get the site ready and safe before any work could take place.

Parkwell_Down
01-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Sand boils need to sorted amongst other things.

jolly_roger
01-10-2014, 03:12 PM
If you coat the mould correctly you should prevent it.

Fensmiller
01-10-2014, 09:18 PM
This is why is should be knocked down. Drawing Office early 80's. Ha Ha, which ones me ?
http://i60.tinypic.com/qs3y3r.jpg