PDA

View Full Version : O?T Tories to Change Human Rights Rulings

gm_gm
03-10-2014, 02:02 PM
This could potentially be the best legislation in the last 50 years!

It would effectively stop people with beards and hooks for hands claiming millions of pounds in freebies form us while at the same time preaching about blowing us up.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Link - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29466113)

jolly_roger
03-10-2014, 02:20 PM
The legal people are going to hate this.

They make a shed load of cash dealing with human rights cases.

S8_Miller
03-10-2014, 02:33 PM
The legal people are going to hate this.

They make a shed load of cash dealing with human rights cases.

And the biggest snout in the trough is one Mrs Cherie Blair - now let me think back, who was it that signed us up for this in the first place ...

CAMiller
03-10-2014, 02:36 PM

It would effectively stop people with beards and hooks for hands claiming millions of pounds in freebies form us while at the same time preaching about blowing us up.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Link

I know his jokes are sometimes a bit iffy but I don't remember jolly_roger threatening to blow us up?

jolly_roger
03-10-2014, 02:55 PM
guess who's first on the list? ;D

John2
03-10-2014, 03:27 PM
now let me think back, who was it that signed us up for this in the first place ...

British lawyers drafted it following WW2 and it was supported by that famous liberal, Winston Churchill.

Now the Tories literally want to take away human rights a populist move supported by people who take their human rights for granted.

gm_gm
03-10-2014, 03:35 PM
now let me think back, who was it that signed us up for this in the first place ...

British lawyers drafted it following WW2 and it was supported by that famous liberal, Winston Churchill.

Now the Tories literally want to take away human rights a populist move supported by people who take their human rights for granted.[/quote]

You are correct John, thats why it needs to be changed, its 70 years out of date. 70 years ago we had gas street lamps, outside toilets, coal fires and TB.

Times have changed sonny

jolly_roger
03-10-2014, 03:35 PM
No they don't, they want to bring in a British version. ie one that suits us, our culture and our country, not a bleeding hearts charter that eurocrats and parasite lawyers get rich on.

S8_Miller
03-10-2014, 03:44 PM
And Tony and his cronies gave away our right to self determination on human rights issues to a body of unelected, unaccountable and remote judges who know nothing about Britain, it's people or it's values. That is the main issue that annoys me and and a good proportion of other people - not the value of having declarations on human rights protected through legislation.

KerrAvon
03-10-2014, 03:57 PM
And Tony and his cronies gave away our right to self determination on human rights issues to a body of unelected, unaccountable and remote judges who know nothing about Britain, it's people or it's values. That is the main issue that annoys me and and a good proportion of other people - not the value of having declarations on human rights protected through legislation.So you are saying that British judges are elected, accountable and in touch with the lives of the majority of British people? The first two are news to me whilst the third is certainly not a universal property.

How did the UK give up its right to self determination when it enacted the human Rights Act? Our Supreme Court is required to take account of ECHR rulings, but not to blindly apply them.

We will be in the company of Belarus and.. er.. that's about it, if we bail out of the ECHR.

This is populist nonsense and a reaction to the fact that the ECHR has sough

John2
03-10-2014, 04:02 PM
You are correct John, thats why it needs to be changed, its 70 years out of date. 70 years ago we had gas street lamps, outside toilets, coal fires and TB.

Times have changed sonny

Times have changed, but human beings are still the same.

The US constitution is even older but contains many fantastic principles and values that are timeless.

KerrAvon
03-10-2014, 04:09 PM
The ECHR is based on the American constitution. I'm not a big fan of many things American, but they certainly seem to attach more weight to the rights of the individual than we seem to want to.

shshsh22
03-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Dont worry everybody,calm down.Nothing will change,its just that their is an election next year,so their will be plenty of false promises made in the interim.:D

S8_Miller
03-10-2014, 04:26 PM
And Tony and his cronies gave away our right to self determination on human rights issues to a body of unelected, unaccountable and remote judges who know nothing about Britain, it's people or it's values. That is the main issue that annoys me and and a good proportion of other people - not the value of having declarations on human rights protected through legislation.So you are saying that British judges are elected, accountable and in touch with the lives of the majority of British people? The first two are news to me whilst the third is certainly not a universal property.

How did the UK give up its right to self determination when it enacted the human Rights Act? Our Supreme Court is required to take account of ECHR rulings, but not to blindly apply them.

We will be in the company of Belarus and.. er.. that's about it, if we bail out of the ECHR.

This is populist nonsense and

HotshotBobbyW
03-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Means very little and is just a change to the 'Human Rights Act 1998' and has no bearing on us with regards to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which we will still be forced to adhere to, so nothing major just a vote winner if some think it means something more. Seems some on here think it is something major when it clearly is not.

frogmiller
03-10-2014, 06:01 PM

Times have changed sonny

Times have changed, but human beings are still the same.

The US constitution is even older but contains many fantastic principles and values that are timeless.[/quote]

Humans in my opinion are only the same physically. Mentally we have changed as we have discovered and invented things. The publication of rights have given license to abuse. The thought of people being able to follow a belief that it is totally against everyone else's right to live safely is wrong.

Follow these few things and you'll be alright.

Don't lie
Don't steal
Work hard
Respect others

KerrAvon
03-10-2014, 06:14 PM
So are you saying that the right to life, the right to a private life, the right to freedom of expression and the other ECHR rights have changed over time. That might work in gm's goldfish like intellect, but not in the real world.

MarkThomas
03-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Few things in politics change - with an election on the horizon all the parties will propose changes, sadly on the basis usually of what they consider might be popular. I make no comment on the Human Rights Act save to say that like lots of legislation it produces some valuable outcomes and some disturbing ones.

Proposals to remove legislation just before an election are almost always knee jerk and not thought through and nothing to do with what might be right for the individual or the country - I don't claim to know the answer but more to the point nor do the politicians without a proper informed debate.

gorky
03-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Someone's trying to stem the flow of deserters to the ukips! Next up, they're going to repeal the Ten Hour Bill.

millmoormagic
03-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Vote grabber, to attract the dimwits i suspect...

Look at it like this, HUMAN RIGHTS, yep, that's rights for humans...

gm_gm
03-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Few things in politics change - with an election on the horizon all the parties will propose changes, sadly on the basis usually of what they consider might be popular. I make no comment on the Human Rights Act save to say that like lots of legislation it produces some valuable outcomes and some disturbing ones.

Proposals to remove legislation just before an election are almost always knee jerk and not thought through and nothing to do with what might be right for the individual or the country - I don't claim to know the answer but more to the point nor do the politicians without a proper informed debate.

Mark. Stay away from political threads like I do, it's not worth it

mygiddypant
03-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Anything that Jacob Rees-Mogg favours is anathema to me. Utter upper-middle class twerp.

MarkThomas
03-10-2014, 10:00 PM
gm - I understand your post.

I'm just so disillusioned and cynical about politics. Give me R U F C any day!

Adventus2012
03-10-2014, 10:03 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>Link
It would effectively stop people with beards and hooks for hands claiming millions of pounds in freebies "FROM" us while at the same time preaching about blowing us up.

Spelling corrected ;D

gm_gm
03-10-2014, 10:08 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>Link
It would effectively stop people with beards and hooks for hands claiming millions of pounds in freebies "FROM" us while at the same time preaching about blowing us up.

Spelling corrected ;D[/quote]

Thanks Podd

ExeterMiller
04-10-2014, 07:33 AM
It's just a vote puller

I don't believe we can pick & choose EU law, the only way to discard them is to leave. This has been signed up for by successive govts & PM's since WW2 & interestingly every treaty has been signed off by the same Queen :blue:

walter10
04-10-2014, 07:43 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>Link

A question for you GMGM. Will a new British Bill Of Rights allow us to deport people at will or extradite to countries that have questionable legal systems and retain the death penalty?

You appear to know the answer to this.

gm_gm
04-10-2014, 08:04 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>Link

A question for you GMGM. Will a new British Bill Of Rights allow us to deport people at will or extradite to countries that have questionable legal systems and retain the death penalty?

You appear to know the answer to this.[/quote]

We ourselves have a questionable legal system, as Kerr has described a minority of out of touch people make crazy decisions, we need a more democratic way of law.

walter10
04-10-2014, 08:21 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>Link

We ourselves have a questionable legal system, as Kerr has described a minority of out of touch people make crazy decisions, we need a more democratic way of law.[/quote]

You said in you opening post it would mean we will be able to extradite the likes of Abdul whateverhisname is. Is that true?

walter10
04-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Gm - and, if I read your opening post right, curb freedom of speech. Is that right?

walter10
04-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Gm. You said the ECHR is 70 years out of date. You obviously have great knowledge. Which bits are out of date? Would you reform those bits or drop them completely.

walter10
04-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Gm. You said 'it will stop people with beards blowing us up'. How?

gm_gm
04-10-2014, 10:20 AM

Walt, keep all your questions on one post you are spamming the bored

walter10
04-10-2014, 12:50 PM

Walt, keep all your questions on one post you are spamming the bored[/quote]

I will expect all your answers on one thread then gm. A guy with such in depth knowledge of the subject should see past the confusion of question on 3 different threads. Please dont use it as a reason not to respond.

millmoorlane
04-10-2014, 02:58 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>Link

We ourselves have a questionable legal system, as Kerr has described a minority of out of touch people make crazy decisions, we need a more democratic way of law.[/quote]

How will scrapping the Human Rights Act deliver a more democratic way of law? You'll still have unelected individuals (judges) passing judgement against democratically decided laws...that's exactl

millmoorlane
04-10-2014, 03:01 PM

Walt, keep all your questions on one post you are spamming the bored[/quote]

You could answer the question though GM.

The last people with beards to blow anyone up were the 7/7 bombers and there's very little in the Human Rights Act that could have practically prevented it (beyond, I suppose, a mass state surveillance programme where we were all chipped and our thoughts read into a central database or something...which I'd prefer we didn't do as a nation).

Parkwell_Down
05-10-2014, 09:29 PM
The Human Rights Act came into force in 2000 and incorporates the post-war European Convention On Human Rights.

Interestingly in 2009 Cambridgeshire Police had to pay compensation to a rape victim with bi-polar disorder after admitting they destroyed crucial CCTV footage and lost records of her complaint in piles of paperwork.

And earlier this year two victims of convicted rapist John Worboys won a compensation claim against the Metropolitan Police citing Article 3 of the Human Rights Act forbidding degrading treatment or punishment.

I put it to all readers of this board that some of the victims of Child Sexual Exploitation in Rotherham may have a very strong case under Article 3 of the Human Rights Act.

On another thread there is a question. 'Who is the greatest living Yorkshireman?'

The answer is the person who shakes off the shackles of the party line and seeks out real justice for the survivors of CSE.

Perhaps then there will be no more excuses for further marches through

millmoormagic
05-10-2014, 10:05 PM
GM's a bit quiet tonight...