PDA

View Full Version : FA Cup draws on a Monday evening this season

ClaretTony2014
10-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Just read this on the BBC site, all cup draws, starting with 1st round, to be shown live on a Monday evening.

I love the comment at the link: "The new Monday evening draw is set to evoke memories of families huddled around the radio to listen to those all-important fixtures being announced."

No, families didn't huddle around the radio back then. The draws were made when we were all at work or school. We used to sneak a radio into school for the draw.

They tried re-introducing Monday draws a few years ago. They flopped. You can't go back in time, it doesn't work. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29558089)

claptrappers_union
10-10-2014, 01:13 PM
"The first-round draw will come from the National Football Centre at St George's Park in front of a live audience on Monday, 27 October."

Why try to fix something that isn't broken?

My pet hate is when they get pop stars or people who are flavour of the month to do the draw... it should be just people in the football industry in my opinion. Not famous fans or people promoting a CD

ClaretTony2014
10-10-2014, 01:15 PM
They broke it when it was moved from the old idea of it being on the radio on a Monday lunchtime to give it air time on TV.

Everyone is used to it following a game now, to move it to Monday evening is as daft as they come for me.

claptrappers_union
10-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Following a game is a best way of doing it I think now. It's something to look forward to. Just keep it the way it is but keep that prestigious feel. It is the best cup competition in the world, though ITV have tried their best to mess it up with their coverage.

It has to be done with dignity, unlike the draw for the Football League Trophy, I saw it on Soccer AM, my god, it was like a cheap version of The Price Is Right with studio guests making a mockery of the whole competition. They were treating it like it was for an Under 15's school tournament.

JohnMcGreal
10-10-2014, 02:03 PM
They broke it when it was moved from the old idea of it being on the radio on a Monday lunchtime to give it air time on TV.

Was that not just a case of moving with the times? I can't think of anything that is exclusive to a wireless.

ClaretTony2014
10-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Probably was moving with the times, but this is the second time now they've gone back to a Monday and the second time they've said it is to recreate the draw from years gone by. If they want to do that then it is radio and back to the FA offices.

dsr
10-10-2014, 02:26 PM
With Bob Lord drawing the home teams.

It bugs me that they have to spice it up with the rubbish like "a good draw for your team" and all the other rubbish. Why do the people making the draw think they're interesting? Why do they think that their thoughts are what we're tuned in to hear? Can't they realise that the draw is quite capable of standing on its own, wothout blokey comments?