PDA

View Full Version : When did 'real' start to replace 'really'?

Hozz
23-10-2014, 08:25 AM
NOne for the grammar police on the board but there has been a shift to using the word 'real', certainly in speech, over the word 'really'.

Is it another Americanism that has crept into our speech or an acceptable development of the English language.

Sounds wrong to me though.

spadesclaret
23-10-2014, 09:04 AM
I suspect you are thinking of the use of 'real' in a sentence such as, "I feel real good."

In that sentence 'real' and 'good' are both adjectives. An adjective cannot modify an adjective. An adverb modifies an adjective so, grammatically, the adverb 'really' should be used - "I feel really good."

As you suggest, I believe it to be another Americanism that has crept into our language when we weren't looking :)

ClaretTony2014
23-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Someone will come along and say'They should of corrected it'.

Quicknick
23-10-2014, 10:04 AM
One of the irritating changes in spoken language (and for most young people, written language). Others which irritate me include:

I'm good.
I'm liking this.
The misuse of the word like as in: I'm like wow it's real.../He was like...

And the one that really gets me going: rising intonation at the end of every sentence. It should only be employed with a tag question.

Hozz
23-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Apologies for the typo in my post, I have no idea how the N appeared.

I should OF corrected it (thanks for that one CT, yet another, all too common misuse/abuse of grammar).

down_rover
23-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Kids were watching some American bake off programme the other night.

I heard some Yank say 'agreeance'. Sorry if I spelt it wrong but I am only able to spell it phonetically as the OEd is no help.

We should have charged them money for our beautiful language and then they might have looked after it properly!

On a serious note it is all about too much American trash on the telly.

Bring back Gyles Brandreth

scoobyclaret
23-10-2014, 11:49 AM
"Can I get?" instead of "can I have" is another annoying Americanism that seems to have crept in.

Also, "my bad" instead of "my mistake"

claretspice
23-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Language doesn't stand still though folks. If it did, we'd still all write and speak, and follow the rules of grammar, as they existed in Shakespeare's time.

It evolves. Saying 'I'm good' or 'we were real good' is just the latest example of that trend. It really isn't worth getting het up about.

lotty1
23-10-2014, 12:23 PM
the one I hate is the word "meh" which is now in the dictionary I'm told . :( :/

Firthy
23-10-2014, 12:28 PM
The modernisn I REALLY hate is "laters" when someone leaves, sounds so chav.

On the other hand I quite like the term "simples" proabably because I'm a Meerkat fan :)

clerkenwell_claret
23-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Scooby,

"can I have" is, most probably, incorrect also. For example:

Customer: Can I have two pints of cheese please, barman?

Pedantic barman: yes, next question.

Enlightened customer: I see. May I have two ints of cheese please. And whilst you're at it, a moiety of pork scratchings.

CC

Hipper
23-10-2014, 01:01 PM
'I should OF corrected it..'

Oh dear.

It should be 'I should av coorected...'.

Real.

the_quoon
23-10-2014, 01:01 PM
real swell.

The Bedlington Terrier
23-10-2014, 01:02 PM
The one that drove me crazy was "mingin". We lived in Burnley when the kids were younger and when asked the quality of anything, "mingin" came the reply. My ex-wife used to blow a gasket! Love that one to appear on a US TV show. "How's the burger" - "Mingin!"

Quicknick
23-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Minging? No worse than rank, or any number of older ways of putting it. Although it does have a bit of the scouse in it. :D

leedsdave
23-10-2014, 11:31 PM
"Been" for being and "as" for has are two more that really get my goat. One or other of them is used at some point in almost every post from our friend in my neck of the woods. In fact often both will appear in the same post. As the OP says, it's real annoying!

Boliclaret
24-10-2014, 05:26 AM
We should have charged them money for our beautiful language and then they might have looked after it properly!

Language is always constantly changing. Anyone who can speak Spanish or French will see the Franco/Latin influence in our language, because in a bygone era we were much more influenced by these cultures. In modern culture the influence has been American, words like Jazz, blues, rock 'n' roll, punk etc are all American expressions so its not all bad.

The one that real(ly) gets my goat though is 'one time', its once ffs. :/

CeeCideClaret
25-10-2014, 02:25 AM
"Language doesn't stand still though folks. If it did, we'd still all write and speak, and follow the rules of grammar, as they existed in Shakespeare's time."

I'm currently reading 12 Years a Slave, Solomon Northup. That book is a great example of how much our language has changed over the years, and how our sentences have become much shorter.

loyalclaret
25-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Slightly off topic, but can anyone tell me why when spelling 'useful'- we drop the final L from full. Yet when we spell 'useless' the second S stays?

distortiondave
25-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Why does 'fridge' have a D in it yet 'refrigeration' does not?

Why do you pronounce both u's in Continuum but not in Vacuum?

spokman
25-10-2014, 10:59 AM
If bough is boff then surely cough is cow...Hmmm