PDA

View Full Version : return of Howe

egg_fried_rice
04-11-2014, 10:27 PM
What do you think of Eddie returning to the turf ne t season personaly id be over the moonto see him back at the turfnext season

jordan12rhodes
04-11-2014, 10:28 PM
yeah, i think bournemouth won`t last the pace and will stay down too..

Akinbadbye_20
04-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Doing a phenomenal job at Bournemouth. Controversial but i would still take him over Dyche now

egg_fried_rice
04-11-2014, 10:47 PM
im opposite I think Bournemouth will last the pace and get promoted ,im not saying as champions but i think they will go up . So for Eddieto becoming to the Turf nexrt season with his cheerys side id be extatic aass means will have turned this disaterous season round and miracously avoided relegation! pleanty of time left 'Dare to Dream' Up the claets. Hats of to mr Howe bag of dog ... here but certainly knows what hes doin at Bour.emouth

rabs82
05-11-2014, 01:39 AM
If Bournemouth maintain the pace, well done to them. If they do indeed go up, could you even imagine what they'd be like in the PL?

They'd make us look look Real Madrid.

arise_sir_charge
05-11-2014, 05:33 AM
I wonder how Bournemouth would approach the Premier League? Would they give it a go and invest in players or would they take the money and run? Would they struggle to attract players and end up with a few also rans?

Rick_Muller
05-11-2014, 06:59 AM
I'm pleased for Eddie Howe, and I think that, although possibly tenuous, it demonstrates that we really must trust our board to make the right decisions. It was a good appointment (Eddie) at the time, and Sean Dyche afterwards was also a good appointment...

I hope Eddie does well with Bournemouth, I don't think they'll quite last the distance, but then they were saying that about Burnley last season too, so you never know.

spunkybackpack21
05-11-2014, 07:10 AM
I think they'll miss out come season end, but he's an excellent young coach, always has been. Things didn't work out, for whatever reason, but that's life.

mgill87
05-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Bournemouth started the season solidly in the first few games before fading away a little. I checked the Championship table last weekened and was surprised to see them so high in the table again. I don't think they'll finish in an automatic position but they may well finish in the playoffs. Well done to them if they do.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
05-11-2014, 07:12 AM
'I would still take him over Dyche now.'

How come?

Personally for me it just never looked like it would work out for him at Burnley. Said it before certain managers seem to suit certain clubs. He's doing a cracking job at Bournemouth. Be interesting to see how he does at his next club.

amex
05-11-2014, 07:22 AM
"Doing a phenomenal job at Bournemouth. Controversial but i would still take him over Dyche now"

??????
FFS

Get behind the team.

lotty1
05-11-2014, 07:31 AM
I couldn't believe I was reading this and then I realised it was ClaretsMad .

LincolnClaret
05-11-2014, 07:31 AM
Howe was very close to success with us. His transfer dealings were excellent; yes there were a few duffers but overall he brought in young players with quality and resale value - can't ask for more than that!!

He was short of pretty much exactly what Dyche brought in - a keeper, an experienced midfielder and better / more consistent wide men. Without Sean's additions we wouldn't have got promoted, but the rest is there in black and white when you look at our starting 11 from last season. Trippier, Mee, Shackell, Ings and Vokes. That's half of the outfield 10 all brought in by Eddie for good fee's. And let's not forget Stanislas played his part as well.

I wish him all the best and it'd be an incredible achievement if he managed promotion with Bournemouth, absolutely remarkable.

moggybfc
05-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Although he is doing a good job at Bournemouth, I wouldnt want him back and probably he wouldnt come back here.

He had his chance and did ok, but Dyche has done wonders here, something that Howe couldnt do

skiptonclaret
05-11-2014, 07:46 AM
He obviously will never return to manage Burnley. However I would have been very interested to see what he would have done with the transfer budget over summer.

Jamb0MackemClaret
05-11-2014, 08:05 AM
We certainly could have done with his ability to spot a striker this summer. He's doing an absolutely incredible job even if he has had a few quid to spend - he's making history at Bournemouth.

No idea if they'll keep it up or not but they have a lot of points on the board already. They've got a great chance of at least being in the play-offs.

claretblue
05-11-2014, 08:05 AM
'...very interested to see what he would have done with the transfer budget over summer...'

would have bought Pugh + Pitman! :s

sheedyclaret
05-11-2014, 08:06 AM
A miracle worker would have not done much with our transfer budget..done a great job since going back their hope they last the pace..

skiptonclaret
05-11-2014, 08:08 AM
@Claretblue. Nah, probably Callum Wilson. Bit of a gamble, you know like Austin, Ings, Vokes...

bpgburn
05-11-2014, 08:09 AM
"What do you think of Eddie returning to the turf ne t season personaly id be over the moonto see him back at the turfnext season"

"Doing a phenomenal job at Bournemouth. Controversial but i would still take him over Dyche now"

Just when you think you've read every conceivable pile of crap that can be written on a MB...!

bobinho
05-11-2014, 08:14 AM
As said earlier, certain managers seem to `fit` certain clubs at a certain time.

OC and BFC was a great fit, but look what has happened since. :D

He (Eddie Howe) had a decent crack at it with Burnley, but it wasn't really working out as either he or us had hoped.

Good luck to him I say.

wickdkewlclaret
05-11-2014, 08:17 AM
They'd definitely invest in their squad giving Eddie a fair fist at the BPL. I'm basing this on them signing Rantie for 2.5 mill after getting promoted to the champ.

distortiondave
05-11-2014, 08:20 AM
He's certainly more adept in the transfer market than Dyche, who is actually pretty poor in that respect.

Arfield, Heaton and Jones excepted, obviously.

braindead
05-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Doing a phenomenal job at Bournemouth. Controversial but i would still take him over Dyche now

Comedy Gold, what a retard. Have you forgotten that he actually WAS manager of Burnley and was defensively inept?

As for Howe - I couldn't be more meh about him - he tried to manage a club with higher aspirations (at the time) than Bournemouth and couldn't stand the heat, so he returned back to his favourite armchair of a club just as soon as they could match the large wage he had been stealing from Burnley for months when his heart clearly wasn't in it.

longside4evr
05-11-2014, 08:24 AM
We could have had them both here Dyche to sort and look after the defensive part of the game and Howe to do like wise with the attacking elements But that leaves the midfield 'o'well we could always get Steve Gritt in as well :?

Akinbadbye_20
05-11-2014, 09:05 AM
'Comedy Gold, what a retard. Have you forgotten that he actually WAS manager of Burnley and was defensively inept'

I thought we were all allowed opinions, obviously not.

'??????
FFS

Get behind the team.'

If you'd seen my other posts recently you would see i'm one of the more positive posters at the minute. Its not exactly a ridiculous statement, Howe has Bournemouth where Dyche had us last season.
I just personally preferred the way Howe wanted us to play and think it could take us further in the Premier League.

We also lack inventiveness in the transfer market at the moment, something Howe could never be accused of. His method of bringing in young talent is one we have to continue going down so we can sell on players at a big profit, again not a criticism of any players we have signed, just a preference for the way Howe goes about signing players.

JohnMcGreal
05-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Always liked Howe. Brought in some excellent players, tried to play a pleasing brand of football, overall did a decent job but was probably one or two players short of achieving what he wanted.

He's working wonders down at Bournemouth, and not for the first time. I'd love to see them last the distance and get promoted.

braindead
05-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Of course you are allowed an opinion, as am I.

My opinion is that the comment was retarded.

Pray tell why you would want Eddie Howe to be manager of Burnley when he has already tried once and couldn't motivate and turn a team of talented young players, into a winning side, or a side that couldn't stop conceding goals.

And why on earth would you want him to take over from Sean Dyche (Incidentally, A man YOU were advocating to be sacked 18 months ago), when under Dyche we have:

Finished on 93 points - a club record
Gained runners up spot in the Championship
Saw us only lose 5 games all season
The best defensive record in the league
All this despite spending a comparatively measly 400k in total on players.

But yeah lets replace him with a manager that has already failed at the job.

Akinbadbye_20
05-11-2014, 09:36 AM
'Pray tell why you would want Eddie Howe to be manager of Burnley when he has already tried once and couldn't motivate and turn a team of talented young players, into a winning side, or a side that couldn't stop conceding goals.

And why on earth would you want him to take over from Sean Dyche (Incidentally, A man YOU were advocating to be sacked 18 months ago), when under Dyche we have:

Finished on 93 points - a club record
Gained runners up spot in the Championship
Saw us only lose 5 games all season
The best defensive record in the league
All this despite spending a comparatively measly 400k in total on players.'

Irrelevant that i wanted Dyche to go 18 months ago, many people did, he proved us wrong.

Nowhere have I criticised Dyche, he is the best thing that could happen to us and i still think he could keep us up. I just think if we were to keep progressing, Howes 'philosophy' in terms of football and transfers would be more likely to help us become an established Premier Leagu

LancasterClaret
05-11-2014, 09:42 AM
He's doing very well

I don't think anyone would want him to replace Dyche though.

claretspice
05-11-2014, 09:43 AM
The thought occurs to me that Howe and Dyche would make an outstanding double act. Howe had an eye for a player - I don't think anyone can seriously dispute that. What he didn't have was the man-management skills, or perhaps skills as a 'shape' coach that Dyche has. But equally, there is a fair question-mark over Dyche's ability to identify talent in the transfer market - and perhaps as critically, to be decisive in the market.

It isn't the first time I've thought successive Burnley managers would make a good double act. Same applied with Cotterill and Coyle. If you could have merged those two characters, it'd have been ideal.

amex
05-11-2014, 09:47 AM
"If you'd seen my other posts recently you would see i'm one of the more positive posters at the minute. Its not exactly a ridiculous statement, Howe has Bournemouth where Dyche had us last season.
I just personally preferred the way Howe wanted us to play and think it could take us further in the Premier League.

We also lack inventiveness in the transfer market at the moment, something Howe could never be accused of. His method of bringing in young talent is one we have to continue going down so we can sell on players at a big profit, again not a criticism of any players we have signed, just a preference for the way Howe goes about signing players."

I have seen a lot of posts and of course you are allowed opinions, I am just sick to death of people wishing we had this or the other, we have what we have we are where we are, I for one am immensely proud to be a Claret, especially now we are in EPL
I honestly feel that if we got behind the lads more (at home) we would stand a better

LancasterClaret
05-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Can you imagine the bad parts of Cotterill and Coyle merged?

Oh hang on, they already are

Neil Warnock

CardyTheClaret
05-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Some really short memories here, some of the football we played under him was as bad as it was under Cotterill.

Jamb0MackemClaret
05-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Well that's clearly untrue. What style of football you like is wholly subjective, obviously, but Howe's team always tried to keep the ball on the ground, even if it was sometimes a bit slow.

Also wouldn't say Howe lacked man-management skills, would someone like Stanislas have gone back to play for him again if that was true? There's a perception that he struggled with the older players at Burnley but that was never a problem with people like Steve Fletcher at Bournemouth.

ClaretTony2014
05-11-2014, 10:04 AM
"Controversial but i would still take him over Dyche now"

It's not controversial at all, it's plain daft.

Akinbadbye_20
05-11-2014, 10:09 AM
'It's not controversial at all, it's plain daft.'

Who do you think will go higher in the game, honestly?
I see Howe as someone who could possibly get to a top 6 Premier League club, Dyche to me looks like he could be the 'survival expert' type.

I could be wrong, Howe's naturally shy/awkward nature could hold him back from that

braindead
05-11-2014, 10:12 AM
would someone like Stanislas have gone back to play for him again if that was true?

Yes if he was offered the chance to play closer to home and on a large wage.

Jamb0MackemClaret
05-11-2014, 10:14 AM
We don't know what JS is on at Bournemouth compared to what we offered, do we?

RogerEliHatTrick
05-11-2014, 10:17 AM
You would prefer Howe to Dyche - plain stupidity or a wind up merchant.
Howe has already failed at the job. Howe has never managed in the Premier League. There aren t many managers who would be doing better than Dyche is with the squad he has. Maybe Pulis but that's it. Howe left before he would have been pushed and personally I didn't like his brand of football. We were defensively laughable.

braindead
05-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Correct JMC, we don't know, but it is safe to assume that he won't have taken a pay cut and he also signed a longer deal than was on the table at Burnley.

ClaretTony2014
05-11-2014, 10:18 AM
"I see Howe as someone who could possibly get to a top 6 Premier League club, Dyche to me looks like he could be the 'survival expert' type.

I could be wrong, Howe's naturally shy/awkward nature could hold him back from that"

I'd agree with awkward but certainly not shy.

Howe a top six club? He'd have to be given the Southampton job to have any chance of that.

Bournemouth are clearly doing well but we'll see how things go. He could never hit a consistent run at Burnley and already this season they've had a good run, a bad run and another good run. I just didn't like his football at all and would hate to think he'd ever come back.

beddie
05-11-2014, 10:25 AM
I liked Eddie but for whatever reason his football never just did it for me. I think we all know he will never come back as Manager of Burnley due to the previous personal reasons given. I have no doubt though that at some stage he is going to be a top Manager in the Premier League.

Quicknick
05-11-2014, 10:28 AM
The most bizarre thread I have read on here. And that is saying something.

The Bedlington Terrier
05-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Eddie is running a fairy story at Bournemouth. He is obviously totally at home down there, his personal synergy with the club is phenomenal. Many of us have said before that we wish him well in his career, thank him for the job he did with us and move on. From experience going back to an old love affair is bad news. Good luck Eddie, I would love to see the Cherries promoted. In the meantime, let's concentrate on supporting our lot to stay up?

ksrclaret
05-11-2014, 10:46 AM
I didn't mind Howe at all when he was here, but considering Dyche has just won us 93 Championship points and Premier League status I find it hard to comprehend people would take Howe over Sean.

Howe's football with us was far better suited for playing away games. You could always see what he was trying to achieve with us though, even if he never did quite manage to get everything to click.

Howe's eye for a player was superb but even then I seem to remember he got tagged with the line he could only sign players he worked with before. The relationship between him and the club never really clicked either, for whatever reason.

bleedingClaret
05-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Who Left cos:

He couldn't cope.

He preferred Bournemouth

Advice was most likely that he may sacked in the coming months.

Most likely too:

Burnley would not currently be in the Premier League now.

Fact:

Dyche has achieved something Howe has not.

If:

Howe was still our manager in the championship and Dyche had gone to Barnsley for example and taken them to the Premier League, you would now be clambering for his services.

I:

Can only assume, the OP and his supporters, like young men in tight trousers with that little boy lost look

I:

Prefer Sean Dyche as our Manager any day month or Year.

FFS >:(

UTC :heart:

GordonvaleClaret
05-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Howe couldn't cut it in our division.

Jamb0MackemClaret
05-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Neither can we, to be fair.

Rileybobs
05-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Doing a fantastic job, albeit with a decent budget.

'I see Howe as someone who could possibly get to a top 6 Premier League club, Dyche to me looks like he could be the 'survival expert' type.'

Strange conclusion to arrive at considering that:
a. ) Howe has yet to get a club to the top 6 of the Championship, and;
b. ) Dyche doesn't look like a survival expert type.

NottsClaret
05-11-2014, 12:56 PM
It's been said before, he was the Frank Casper to Dyche's Jimmy Mullen. A reference for our older listeners there.

I'm largely ambivalent about the guy. It's a funny one, but I doubt we'd be in the Prem if he'd stayed. Likewise, it seems unlikey we'd be in the Prem without the players he brought in.

He obviously fits perfectly down there. Fair do's.

TheLonePoster
05-11-2014, 01:08 PM
"Can only assume, the OP and his supporters, like young men in tight trousers with that little boy lost look"

This comment is currently #1 on the list of spectacularly dumb CM comments - beating off some very strong competition, BTW...

Akinbadbye_20
05-11-2014, 03:16 PM
'Strange conclusion to arrive at considering that:
a. ) Howe has yet to get a club to the top 6 of the Championship, and;
b. ) Dyche doesn't look like a survival expert type.'

Well point a is ridiculous. I clearly said I think he is someone who could get there potentially. Whether he has done so already is irrelevant.

I dont think many managers would keep up the team we have now but I think the rigid 'framework' is what managers who are regularly successful at keeping smaller clubs in the Premier League base their systems around. Don't think its the hardest way to set a team up but its been extremely successful for us.

BlackCountry
05-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Eddie probably learned a fair bit about management in his time at Burnley.

Hope he will continue to improve but to replace Sean ridiculous question.

Imploding Turtle
05-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Remember this thread when another Owen Coyle style example of disloyalty happens to us.

Notrigsbyscat
05-11-2014, 09:32 PM
I see I haven't missed much after several days of absence :blue:

Akinbadbye_20
05-11-2014, 09:49 PM
'Hope he will continue to improve but to replace Sean ridiculous question.'

Has anyone said he should replace Dyche, its a completely hypothetical and meaningless scenario/statement that people seem to have taken personally

fidelcastro
05-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Would they even let Bournemouth in the EPL with a stadium that holds just over 12,000? :?

Perhaps they could ground share with Southampton?

>:)

bpgburn
06-11-2014, 02:32 PM
"Doing a phenomenal job at Bournemouth. Controversial but i would still take him over Dyche no

If Howe is doing a phenomenal job 16 games in with 4 losses (I'm taking it you are basing your statement on this season so far as last season he finished 10th after losing 16), then what sort of job would you say Dyche did in that league with us last season with only 5 losses out of 46 and getting auto promotion on a smaller budget?
So with this being a results game and just over a 3rd of the Championship played I'm curious now why would you take Howe over Dyche?

forzagranata
06-11-2014, 04:20 PM
I think we were three points off the relegation zone (to League One) when Howe decided to leave the club.

The man who replaced him took us to the Premier League with largely the same squad.

Akinbadbye_20
06-11-2014, 08:48 PM
'I think we were three points off the relegation zone (to League One) when Howe decided to leave the club.

The man who replaced him took us to the Premier League with largely the same squad.'

True although the 'largely' bit is also pretty important, our performances under Dyche with the same squad in his first season were poor after the initial honeymoon.

Dyche was the best thing that could have happened to us, we didnt have enough time or money to allow Howe to get his system to work, especially with the diminishing parachute payments.

Now though its a bit different and I think Howe's methods would be more suited to our current needs than Dyche's

Its hypothetical and never going to happen so im not sure why its caused this much discussion really