PDA

View Full Version : o/t loft insulation

spineboy
14-11-2014, 03:57 PM
just moved house.

in the loft, we have floorboards down in most of it apart from approx 1-2m at the 2 apex's, which then has wooden walls put up to make it more room like. behind these walls there is no insulation at all. all in all i'd say 15-20 square meters requires insulating fort winter months

can anyone tell me which insulation i should buy and from where? found this website at the link below, but want to be sure i am buying the right thing

thanks for any help

utc - view external link (http://www.insulationgiant.co.uk/Products/Insulation/Loft-Insulation/c/1200032)

wheelbird
14-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Get either Kingspan sheets or insulated plasterboard if you can skim it yersel.Go to Ian at Travis Perkins - cheap as anywhere there.

Imploding Turtle
14-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Try and get recommendations from the energy companies or a respected comparison company like Which? to ensure you're getting quality insulation and not toilet paper.

The Bedlington Terrier
14-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Pretty sure you can still get a "free deal" from British Gas?

The Bedlington Terrier
14-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Just checked Eon, British Gas and a whole host of others will give you free loft insulation and cavity wall insulation totally free. Eon are also offering cash back if you switch your energy bill to them.

jack_miggins
15-11-2014, 02:32 AM
If you want to use the roof space you should insulate at roof level - 100 mm Kingspan or Celotex boards between the rafters (with 50 mm air cavity above them) & 62.5 mm insulated plasterboard below them (You will probably need to add battens to the underside of the rafters to increase their depth to 150 mm or you might need to add 150 mm deep additional rafters to support the extra load). If you are insulating at first floor ceiling joist level, you will need 270 mm Mineral wool - 100 mm laid between the rafters & 170 mm laid over this across the joists. Both of these will ensure that your roof meets with minimum U values required by Building Regulations.