PDA

View Full Version : England rugby-Over rated

malwayne
15-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Stuart Lancaster must be under severe pressure after their 2nd defeat against the Springboks today.Not knowing his best line up ,especially at half back ,he has been believing the media for too long thinking he and his under achieving team has a chance of winning next years RWC.Although they never lost by much in the two Autumn internationals so far, it is pretty clear to me that they are lacking in leadership and direction on the field.5 defeats in a row against the All Blacks and God knows how many against the S`Boks have put things into perspective.How anyone thinks they are closing the gap on the All Blacks is really beyond me.Unfortunately, the gap between Northern and Southern Hemisphere teams is as wide as it`s ever been and is likely to stay that way for some time.A typical example was todays game between the All Blacks reserves and Scotland.On current form,Wales will need all the help they can get next Saturday.
One final point Joost VDW was the best in the world when he was a

mkmel
15-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Are you Welsh by any chance?

Just asking like.

hampsteadclaret
15-11-2014, 08:03 PM
For you Mel...yes he is.
He is anti-English about rugby like he has a congenital disease.
He comes on here about 3 times a year with a leek stuck in his ear saying repetitive stuff.
I've never seen him mention BFC..fine his choice.
- file under 'not to be taken seriously'

PS : that Wales v Fiji 'game' today was the worst international I have seen in several years..trust me, see tomorrow's papers.

conyoviejo
15-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Watched the New Zealand v Australia rugby league this morning , a cracking game with the Aussies just losing out ...

I have to agree with the Welshman, we are quite a way behind SA and NZ. in union at the moment and will have to improve quite a lot for next year

CleggHall
15-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Whether the OP is Welsh or not, he does have some valid points. England continue to choke against southern hemisphere teams and should be able to beat them now and again especially at Twickenham. The last 2 weeks they have conceded points for fun but, as with the Clarets, we live in hope.

hampsteadclaret
15-11-2014, 08:30 PM
That is fair enough CH - I have not disagreed with a single word he has said about the state of English RU at the moment compared to the 3 elite southern hemisphere teams...we have some way yet to go, despite our recent progress.

cloggy82
15-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Time to start stealing more League players...

conyoviejo
15-11-2014, 08:52 PM
It will be interesting to see how Sam Burgess gets on in Union, a great player in league .. I reckon he will be knocking a few of those union lads out of his way .. XD

mkmel
15-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Hampstead,yes I knew he was Welsh so my question was really a rhetorical one.

Also,just like you I know that he comes on here a couple or so times every year with his anti English rugby comments.

Until he mentioned it in his post I didn't even know that the Welsh played rugby

abbobrom
16-11-2014, 01:21 PM
England have at least five first choice players unavailable at the moment. However, it has given others valuable experience.

It is next year that matters!

MrTopTier
16-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Wales have three grand slams in the last 10 years in comparison to England's none.

England's problem lies with the fact that they play relatively risk free Rugby, playing the percentages will only get you so far and their running of the ball is not as flamboyant as most other teams, so if they are not dominant in possession and field position, they are not as good with the ball in hand, so will struggle to break down the better teams.

Point taken with the injuries, there are a significant number of players missing at the minute.

Are the over-rated I do not think so, they recognise they are the fourth or fifth best team in the world. The media and English bias in commentary could be argued as over the top in favour of England. There are ten months and a lot of Rugby before the World Cup, lets see where they are then.

claret78
16-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Being rated 5th out of 9/10 sides that play Rugby to any sort of standard is pretty terrible if you ask me. Don't think anyones overating them at all.

mkmel
16-11-2014, 04:06 PM
If England are rated fifth then who is rated fourth?

New Zealand,Australia & South Africa are obviously the top rated countries in whatever order but fourth can't be France can it?

Supersub6
16-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Ratings up to last weekend show England fourth - view external link (www.irb.com/rankings/sportid=1/index.html)

BigChaCha
16-11-2014, 05:35 PM
England's pack has the potential to be the best in the world. The backs have not caught up with the pack yet but are a vast improvement from the last 5 years and we are one of the youngest teams in the world.

We will be there or there abouts at the world cup but it may just come to soon for us. A lot depends on injuries and the injury situation is unreal at the moment and England and teams like Leicester ( who have flogged players in my opinion ) need to manage players workload better in future if we are to have any chance of success.

I am actually feeling quite confident at how close we where with NZ and SA with all injuries!

NZClaret
17-11-2014, 03:32 AM
All Blacks have a few out injured or just returning from layoffs so don't get your hopes up for next year.

notnowbernard
17-11-2014, 11:10 AM
If we are just not good enough then so be it but I don't get the same sense of frustration as the overpaid, underachieving footballers for whom I think the words "over rated" were invented for. Almost always when I see the English rugby lads at the end of the game they look like they have put everything in to it & I can't ask for more.

BTW if you haven't already and ever get the chance go see an England game at Twickenham, by far the best atmosphere surrounding any event or stadium I have witnessed.

CleggHall
17-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Yes agreed the rugger b...s generally give their all, one can't fault their effort but the backs lack class and scoring potential. Fly half Farrell does not inspire confidence and links up with the three quarters poorly. Lancaster picks and drops wingers for fun!