PDA

View Full Version : TV series worth watching

Newcastleclaret1993
17-11-2014, 07:32 AM
I've just completed Sons of Anarchy (as much as is on Netflix) and I think it's one of the best series I have ever seen, just wondering if there are anymore that are worth watching?

claretblue
17-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Four Feather Falls!

:D

bobinho
17-11-2014, 08:34 AM
The Americans, a series about Soviet spies living in cold war America in the '70's. Really good.

Justified, a series about an uncompromising US Marshal.

Suits, a series about U.S. lawyers.

Hell on wheels is worth a watch, as is Breaking Bad and Homeland.

snail
17-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Hi I have just started watching "Forever" which seems ok but my fave at the moment is "Banshee" its crude at times but switch off your brain cells for 40 mins an episode and its a rollercoaster if this bloke isn't filling a bloke in he's filling a stunning chick in lol;D

ClaretTony2014
17-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Has anyone watched The Newsroom. I keep hearing positive things about it and wondered whether it was worth watching.

Newcastleclaret1993
17-11-2014, 11:01 AM
I've heard homeland is really interesting. My girlfriend has started watching Salem! She says that is good, I'm not too interested in it but has anyone got any other ideas about it?

topcat69
17-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Talk about a blast from the past.
Four Feather Falls!!
Tex Tucker is the man.
A friend of mine bought me the box set years ago.
I tried showing my Grandsons but they said what is that all about.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
17-11-2014, 11:31 AM
First and second series of Homelands are good however third one was poor. The fourth series currently on channel 4 has picked up though.

The Bridge is a good Scandanavian series well worth watching.

lucs86
17-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Eastbound & Down - comedy/drama with Danny McBride as a washed up, delusional ex-major league baseball pitcher trying to make it back to the top. Cameos from Will Ferrell and Matthew McConaughey.

Binge watching it at the moment and loving it!

garfunkal
17-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Has anyone watched The Newsroom. I keep hearing positive things about it and wondered whether it was worth watching.

If you liked the West Wing you will like The Newsroom , same writer Aaron Sorkin

ClaretTony2014
17-11-2014, 01:30 PM
"If you liked the West Wing you will like The Newsroom"

Didn't see West Wing

spadesclaret
17-11-2014, 02:09 PM
I would second The Bridge, also The Killing, another Scandinavian masterpiece.

If you like political crime drama then the recently televised (BBC4) The Code is an Australian thriller well worth watching.

grumpyoldclaret
17-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Four Feather Falls. For several years (pre- Google) the question 'What Was The Name Of Tex Tuckers Horse' flummoxed the members of the Nelson Poultry Club. I eventually wrote to Granada in search of an answer and received a reply from a chap called Norman Frisbee which I thought was a far more interesting than that of the horse.

Just thought Id mention it.

ClaretTony2014
17-11-2014, 03:10 PM
The horse was Rocky - link below is to start of first episode - view external link (www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqLyY4zQOjk)

forcaburnley
17-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Prison Break
Sons of Anarchy
Orange is the new Black
Whitechapel
American Horror Story
Homeland

minniemouth
17-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Have to agree with Garfunkal. West Wing and The Newsroom are/were excellent. Strangely, as much as I've enjoyed both I could never get into repeats. Thankful I never bought a boxed set. Both, probably, to topical.

Patey
17-11-2014, 05:33 PM
News room is great. It combines fiction with real events.

Make sure you download and watch the previous seasons.

garfunkal
17-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Didn't see the West Wing , your missing a great series there CT

BrunLea
17-11-2014, 05:55 PM
The West Wing and The Newsroom are two of the best series ever shown on British television. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

If you go for The Newsroom, look out for Olivia Munn's performance as Sloan Sabith. Comedy genius.

Patey
17-11-2014, 06:05 PM
West Wing is available to download on Sky too.

Download is brilliant, I'm just starting season 3 of The Sopranos.:)

PopGoesTheCherry
17-11-2014, 06:18 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/i3x4ly.jpg

That is all.

army88
17-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Pesky blinders

True detective ( very good )

Banshee

Claretforever
17-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Game of Thrones - this should be number 1 on anyone's 'to watch' list.
40x 1 hours episodes, plus another series in production

Breaking Bad - get past the first 4 character placing episodes and the next 58 are brilliant!
62x 1 hr episodes I think?
No more being made.

The Blacklist - James Spader is in it. Easier watching than the two above, but quite entertaining a definitely worth a watch.
22x 45 min episode first series, and second series now on Sky.

Homeland
3x 12 episode series, plus a 4th just out!
I'm watching this now.

garfunkal
17-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Breaking Bad - get past the first 4 character placing episodes and the next 58 are brilliant!
62x 1 hr episodes I think?
No more being made.

But a prequel is being made Better call Saul , looks promising

Bin_Ont_Turf
17-11-2014, 07:18 PM
'Pesky blinders'

Have they stopped sewing razor blades into their caps for the second series?

Those pesky Brummies. ;D

mgill87
17-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Right now I'm watching a Danish TV series called Forbrydelsen / The Killing. I believe the U.S have remade it but I strongly recommend the original if you don't mind subtitles. It's a great crime/thriller series.

Others I really love:

The Wire
Breaking Bad
Suits
Sherlock
True Detective
Prison Break
Fargo
House of Cards

bobinho
17-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Forgot to mention one of the finest TV series ever made...

Deadwood.

Ian McShane completely steals the whole show as the brilliantly murderous Albert Swearengen.

Sidney1st
17-11-2014, 08:09 PM
I binged on The Walking Dead recently as I hadn't watched any of it.

I got hooked on that quite quickly.

I tried Sons Of Anarchy , but I'm still not too sure about it.

I do need to watch Game Of Thrones though, watched a couple of episodes of the first series and then forgot about it.

Blue Bloods , on Sky Atlantic isn't too bad either.

eastcoastclaret
17-11-2014, 08:18 PM
If you missed it earlier in the year, Happy Valley was brilliant television.

Cirrus_Minor
17-11-2014, 08:21 PM
"Four Feather Falls" :D

stalbansclaret
18-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Some good shouts on this thread. Have to endorse the comments re Ian McShane in Deadwood. He is absolutely sensational.
I'd also add two series about the LAPD. The Shield ,featuring loose cannon detective Vic Mackey, is brilliantly fun and exciting and Southland is a realistic, documentary style drama folowing a rookie cop and his colleagues.
Re Homeland I actually thought series 3 was excellent and series 4 is too so far.

Jamb0MackemClaret
18-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Not TV but is anyone listening to the Serial podcast? People on Twitter won't shut up about it. Worth my time?

The Fall's back on but you'll need to have seen the first series to be able to follow it.

I like The Newsroom but a lot of people hate it, you'd probably know within a few minutes which camp you're in, definitely worth a try. It's a bit worthy.

bobbydavro
18-11-2014, 12:41 PM
I don't really watch too much telly but one series I really enjoyed was True Detective. My housemates also watch The Following with Kevin Bacon.

There are a couple of gems on netflix, if you are a fan of family guy and other animated comedies you'll love Archer, discovered it while I was off work ill for a week and watched all 4/5 series straight. Also Bojack Horseman is well worth a watch too, its another animated comedy.

Rileybobs
18-11-2014, 01:12 PM
The Blacklist is absolutely dire, I implore you to not waste your time with this guff.

Some of the most wooden acting I've ever seen on my TV.

permafrost
18-11-2014, 03:01 PM
For laughs, Brooklyn 99 is a hoot.

KowalskiClaret
18-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Top 10 shows I've seen this year in no particular order...
Borgen, top-notch Danish political thriller.
Southland, LA police drama in a gritty style.
Peaky Blinders, best British drama for long time.
Fargo, based on film but this quriky black comedy/drama stands alone in its ownright.
American Horror Story, its a horror story, set in America.
Gommorah, Italian mafia drama set in present day Naples.
Hatufim (Prisoners of War), Israeli drama that Homeland was based on - far better than Homeland to be honest.
Games of Thrones, you've probably heard of this.
Speed, documentary on speed challenges by charismatic nutter Guy Martin.
Tyrant, just got into this but looks good so far, drama set in middle east.

KowalskiClaret
18-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Have to agree Blacklist is turd, each to their own tho.

Started listening to Serial podcast, 2 episodes in and you want to hear more, worth trying.

BurnleyBulldog
19-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Rockford Files BBC2 3:45 Every week day, more than worth watching

Nutters_uclan
19-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Sons of Anarchy has been the best thing since The Sopranos for me. I liked Breaking Bad and thought Game of Thrones was OK - but SOA has surpassed everything I've seen recently.

God I miss The Sopranos so much!

Newcastleclaret1993
19-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Glad someone has a mutual love for sons of anarchy, didn't think I would enjoy it but must say I think it's better than breaking bad and other popular series.
I got into walking dead recently an have seriously binged 3 seasons since Saturday (it's awesome)

Gonna give peaky blinders a go soon see what the fuss is about

sanemind
19-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Some good recommendations on here.

Was persuaded to watch "The 100" and it is quietly addictive.