PDA

View Full Version : Radio Lancashire *GOAL ACTION* - Where were you?

jdrobbo
28-11-2014, 01:23 PM
As a kid growing up, I would spend most Saturday afternoons in my Mum and Dad's garage...door shut, Calor Gas heater on...with a small snooker table, dartboard and Radio Lancashire for entertainment.

Away days in the mid 90's for Burnley fans, didn't often result in many victories...even in the promotion campaign of 93/94, I think we only won about five times on the road. I quickly got used to appreciating the feeling of being 'let down' as Radio Lancashire reported in to the Vetch, Gay Meadow or wherever it was we were playing...away goals always seemed like a rarity and I often would celebrate them in a very OTT fashion...maybe that's where some of my teenage hyperbole came from...to give you an idea, it would often involve me running around the small snooker table, waving the cue above my head and usually putting the strip-lighting in danger!

Two memories to recall are our winning goal at Oxford in 2000. The promotion push was on and having grabbed a late equaliser, it was one of

NottsClaret
28-11-2014, 01:32 PM
That whistle and 'goal action' were a big part of Saturday afternoons, usually bringing bad news from Wycombe or Leyton Orient back in the day.

The one I really remember is ringing 0898 12 11 53 for clubcall just as we got that 96th minute equaliser at S****horpe in '92.

Great times.

ClaretTony2014
28-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Goal Action on Radio Lancs - another of the things lost in time when we had the likes of Jack Holden, Norman Shakeshaft and David Jones (the bloke who made me look anorexic) every Saturday.

We used to get RL on the car radio on the way back from away games as soon as we were in range. Never goes on now.

claretspice
28-11-2014, 02:44 PM
One that sticks in my mind is Andy Payton v Grimsby at the Turf as we battled to survive in the Waddle season.

I was revising for some exams and can still remember it. As usual with the goal action thing, you knew pretty much immediately who had scored (occasionally they foxed you by commenting on a turnover of possession, but rarely), but somehow they always managed to keep you tense until the ball had hit the net.

On this occasion I think Payton must've run onto the ball from just inside the Grimsby half. Even then, somehow, the commentary just about managed to maintain the tension until it was confirmed that, inevitably, the ball had gone in.

I always wondered if they might one day play the jingle and commentate on a near miss, just to keep us on our toes, although it probably wasn't necessary.

ptangyangkipperbang
28-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Loved goal action especially working backshift on Tues night games made the evening fly by.But the biggest one in my memory could only happen to Burnley fans we were playing Luton at home about Feb 98 99 season and leading 1-0 through a Mickey Mellon goal when the whistle blew followed by the announcement GOAL ACTION cue commentator Mellon on the ball (to which I probably punched the air) Oh hes lost it to which he went on to describe Lutons equalizer needless to say we went on to lose 2-1

Oshkoshclaret
28-11-2014, 03:36 PM
The Goal Action on Radio Lancashire jingle was a thing of genius, made listening to the radio really exciting.

I can hear it in my mind very clearly... started with a whistle that tailed off then the classic voice of Tommy Vance.

Still befuddles me why they stopped using it.

Oshkoshclaret
28-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Does anyone have a recording of it?

Steve_Harpers_Perm
28-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Also remember the moment at Gillingham when the commentary went off air just before Ian Wright scored!

Sure Radio Lancs have brought the goal jingle back this season!

jordan12rhodes
28-11-2014, 04:22 PM
i miss it too :blue: was great drama. maybe somebody should start a campaign to bring it back..?

feej72
28-11-2014, 05:33 PM
One that sticks in the memory for some unknown reason was a Christmas game at Carlisle which I think we won 4-3 or 3-2 or might even have lost in about 1987. Plenty of goal action that afternoon.

As for over celebrating a radio goal, thought we had taken an early lead v Grimsby in SVT possibly northern semi (waddle season) only to find out it was a replay of a goal in a different game and the match hadn't actually kicked off.

Ceefax was always a great one to watch!! The away win at York and FAC win at John Bond's Shrewsbury were great moments whilst exiled in Leicester.

ClaretTony2014
28-11-2014, 05:36 PM
It was 4-3 at Carlisle, New Year's Day 1988.

loyalclaret
28-11-2014, 05:44 PM
S_H_P I think you are right, radio lancs have brought it back. Im sure ive heard it recently.

Many happy and unhappy hours listening to radio lancs, and the tension building jingle. I also remember the Gillingham game, we'd all been waiting for him to score, then the radio team sat in with the home fans, as they kept saying, went quiet and we'd missed it!

lotty1
28-11-2014, 06:01 PM
"Jolly" Jack Holden , a real blast from the past . Every time Rovers played they played like Real Madrid and never ever deserved to lose . Unlucky was his favourite Rovers was his favourite line .:D

ets
28-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Yes, your right it is back. But it doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Kind of a digital/cd vs analogue/vinyl debate.

The originals always seem best to me.

feej72
28-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Posted 28 Nov 2014 18:36
re: Radio Lancashire *GOAL ACTION* - Where were you?
It was 4-3 at Carlisle, New Year's Day 1988.

I've got the match day programme somewhere at home from that game, you could buy them in the club shop a few week later if I remember right.

arise_sir_charge
28-11-2014, 07:22 PM
A few that stick in my mind:-

Conroy winner at Northampton in the promo season.

Wrexham the same season and 3 goals in as many minutes causing Goal action mayhem.

Finally and not sure if this was a goal action moment or just live comms but Kurt Nogan golden goal at Crewe.

dougcollins
28-11-2014, 07:27 PM
'As a kid growing up, I would spend most Saturday afternoons in my Mum and Dad's garage...door shut, Calor Gas heater on...with a small snooker table, dartboard and Radio Lancashire for entertainment.'

A touch of Carbon Monoxide poisoning never bothered us in those days.

jdrobbo
28-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Fair point, well made :)