PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday..today

hampsteadclaret
28-11-2014, 07:36 PM
What a disgrace. People all over the country brawling with each other over television sets and microwave ovens..the police could barely cope with the call-outs and described people's behaviour as 'appalling'...people being pushed to the ground and trampled on just so some lame brains could get 20 off some household 'essential'..

Don't believe me..,?.. watch the news, listen to the radio, buy a tabloid paper in the morning, check the internet...maybe you saw it yourself first hand?Disgusting behaviour in places, people behaving like animals..meanwhile half the world is starving

Where did this nonsense come from..? the USA of course ...who have successfully exported 'Halloween' to us pretty recently( how and why did we buy into that one, what has that got to do with us?)
It is no more than a simple plan to extricate pound coins from our pockets, like today. They didn't get any of my money.

If a 216 inch telly was on sale today with a 'massive' 70% off..then it was 70% over-priced i

BFCmaj
28-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Ah yes, Christmas time! Peace and goodwill to all men! It makes me sick to see things like this going on.

winsomeyen
28-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Goddam Yanks.

AndyattheTurf
28-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Nothing like rampant hyper-consumerism to bring about feelings of disgust.

This is one thing I truly hope does not linger, though I do find the enjoyably apt.

Boliclaret
28-11-2014, 07:50 PM
I've been an exile for over 5 yrs so I'm not even aware of it. Looking at this I'm glad too, it looks like a feeding frenzy. :s

It actually looks great fun though if you're a bit of a chav. Maybe it will become the chavs annual holiday. - view external link (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30241459)

JeremyBender
28-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Tch! Damn Yanks... - view external link (www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ZV4Mx7tw8)

stevie_thunder
28-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Another American 'tradition' we seem to have had foisted upon us. It can only be a matter of time before we're expected to celebrate Thanks Giving.

One of my colleagues was invited to a hip hop karaoke party tonight (absolutely true). I did ask whether it was intentionally planned for Black Friday but it was apparently purely coincidental.

ClaretSi
28-11-2014, 08:20 PM
I've long since not been a fan of the general public. Peoples general standards of behaviour and morals seem to be disappearing fast. Today has highlighted it in a big way.

I was recently at a garden centre that was putting in a small show of the film Frozen. As you can imagine it was very popular with parents and small children. Once the show started the majority of adults were filming on their mobiles. You could barely see what was happening stood behind them. Once the show was over there was a photo opportunity. Cue a chaotic stampede as parents did their best to make sure their child was first in line. Kids getting trampled by adults so intent on being first in line.

We live in an age of I want it and I want it now and sod everyone else. Mainly prevalant in the younger generation but its spread to all generations with the possible exception of the much older.

I have a theory that the further we have gone from the war and the standards and community values it forced upon people

Bin_Ont_Turf
28-11-2014, 08:21 PM
It just confirms that this country is rammed full of absolute morons.

Although I was in Asda earlier today and I had a set to with a gentlemen in his 80's over the last nasal hair trimmer.

I overpowered him in the end and even managed to get a free walking stick out of it.

Claret_Russ
28-11-2014, 08:41 PM
It's all nonsense, of course, and the timing is obviously 'borrowed' from America, but in essence it's just a sale - and we've had them over here for years. No different to the Boxing Day sales really, but with a bit of added media hype because it's 'new.'

People were behaving like arseholes without a doubt, but hardly different to Boxing Day sales, iPad releases or any other event that encourages drongos to visit shops at silly o'clock. Hard to blame America for this one, the behaviour of the people involved is an entirely British problem.

FCBurnley
28-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Thanksgiving is actually one of Americas best assets. Basically you get together with your family and friends, have a Christmas like feast and just be thankful for what you have. No gifts, no religion. Just 1 day of looking at the positives. Its not even a commercial event (except for food) unlike Xmas. As for Black Friday, the sensible ones take advantage of the majority who are on a 24 hour shopping binge, by taking the opportunity to enjoy doing what they enjoy...without the crowds. So all in all yesterday and today are a pretty nice couple of days.

Funkydrummer
28-11-2014, 08:43 PM
BOT, that was me, you barsteward, and I want my stick back !>:(

By the way, I am a gentleman but I am not bloody 80 ;D

Boliclaret
28-11-2014, 08:58 PM
And you can give Funky his drum and drumsticks back as well too, tut tut.

Bin_Ont_Turf
28-11-2014, 09:02 PM
'BOT, that was me, you barsteward, and I want my stick back'

I'll trade you for the packet of Werthers Originals that you nicked out of my top pocket.

yorksclaret
28-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Was wondering why it was called black Friday, then I saw the footage on the news and all became clear.

Bin_Ont_Turf
28-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Thread closed. :D

GRAPIDIANCLARET
28-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Y'all have a long way to go before you discover the real black Friday spirit.
Only when you have had a shopper crushed to death when the doors open and a couple of people shot to death over a TV, will you truly understand the awsomeness of
Black Friday.
Happy holidays !!!

yorksclaret
28-11-2014, 09:18 PM
... And me doing a stretch again.

Hey-ho.

ets
28-11-2014, 09:20 PM
It ain't called Black Friday for nothing

cloughyclaret
28-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Funnily enough, I am in search of a decent TV as a wedding present for my son. They are due to move in to their new house very soon, so wanted to surprise him with it early.

There are no deals that I can see that are any cheaper than Boxing Day or Summer sales. What a load of hyped up crap.

Embarrassment for the people involved (especially Tesco). Chav central for sure.

DarkCloud
28-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Just embarrassing watching "grown" people physically scrapping over saving a few quid - on items they probably wouldn't have bought in normal circumstances. Many will be ashamed when they see themselves on the tele tonight.

yingyangyong
28-11-2014, 09:36 PM
A saying in Ireland

America sneezes - we catch a cold.
An awful society and without going in to politics - our leaders in most camps are giddy to follow.

bodge
28-11-2014, 10:33 PM
This Americanisation of our culture has to stop and stop now.

Pieandapint
28-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Obviously no devil dog maulings today.

barracuda
28-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Media control at it's absolute finest

RogerEliHatTrick
29-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Just made me want to avoid the shops. Best left to the chavs.

hampsteadclaret
29-11-2014, 08:46 AM
See BBC1 right now for great footage of all that stuff yesterday..and the Daily Mirror [pages 6/7]..just awful low-life behaviour, I thought we'd moved on from being savages.

barracuda [post 25] says 'media control at it's finest'.

Well yes, but it didn't start with them. They were already in the stores with their TV and press cameras before the store doors opened, tipped off by Big Business [Tesco's, Asda and the rest]. The
mayhem and fighting was orchestrated and intended by Black Friday publicity, large [temporary] discounts and a pre-planned lack of security at dozens of large stores all over the UK, such that the police have to be called in...they really have better things to do I believe.

Surprise surprise..SHOPPING is all over the news this morning, no doubt encouraging thousands more to dive in there today, because they think they are missing something..spending money they don't have. We need to wake up a bit, it's not even December yet.

Robus
29-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Don't blame us. "Black Friday" is no more an American tradition than a British one. I was born and raised in this country, and I never heard of it before the middle 1990s.

It is not a traditional celebration like Halloween or Thanksgiving. It is a marketing event concocted by retailers and advertisers and foisted on a public eager for any opportunity to consume. We fell victim to it first. Now it is your turn it seems.

Bin_Ont_Turf
29-11-2014, 07:04 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/ojngb7.jpg

JeremyBender
29-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Very good. (Should be 'fewer' though, not less)