29-11-2014, 04:35 PM
http://pictures.footymad.net/upload/104/692031-1.jpg

Graham Scott (Oxfordshire) v Aston Villa

How to Score
A. Decision Making (including use of advantage) - out of 25
B. Consistency - out of 25
C. Fitness and Positioning - of 25
D. Control and Authority - out of 25

Please only Rate The Ref if you attended the game, as rating from tv doesn't always provide a true representation of performance across the four specified categories. Thanks.

longside4evr
29-11-2014, 04:42 PM
A. Decision Making 20
B. Consistency - 18
C. Fitness and Positioning - of 22
D. Control and Authority - out of 20
Not the best referee we have had officiate but got it about right in the end

PopGoesTheCherry
29-11-2014, 05:37 PM
A. 10
B. 5
C. 20
D. 8

MDWat
29-11-2014, 05:38 PM
A - 10
B - 10
C - 20
D - 10

ClaretTony2014
29-11-2014, 05:39 PM
A. 12
B. 10
C. 19
D. 12

bobinho
29-11-2014, 05:57 PM
a, 14
b, 12
c, 18
d, 12

Is there such a thing as a `big team banker`?

If so, this fella was it. Sanchez and Agbonlahore (sp) threw their substantial weights around all afternoon and he saw nothing.

We've had worse, but he's been promoted too early for me I'm afraid.

longside4evr
29-11-2014, 06:03 PM
can't understand some of them ratings really we have had much much worse than this guy and rated better I must go to speck savers ;D

jdrobbo
29-11-2014, 06:04 PM
A - 12
B - 13
C - 18
D - 15

daveisaclaret
29-11-2014, 06:11 PM

Went a bit yellow card happy for a spell, but not like any of them was a crazy bad decision.

longside4evr
29-11-2014, 06:46 PM
I agree he did go a bit card happy at a stage in the game but he had to stamp his authority on the game as it could have got ugly.

fungus_the_bogeyman
29-11-2014, 07:34 PM
A 20
B 16
C 22
D 18

Lost it a little bit at the end of the first half, but regained his composure and I thought he was pretty good second half. Not bad overall for his first Premier League game.

The Bedlington Terrier
29-11-2014, 07:38 PM
He was shocking.

A. 5.
B. 5.
C. 5.
D. 5.

Please don't come again!

BelialofBacup
29-11-2014, 08:01 PM
A. Decision Making (including use of advantage) - 12
B. Consistency - 14
C. Fitness and Positioning - 20
D. Control and Authority - 22

DavetheVicar
29-11-2014, 08:21 PM
A 11
B 11
C 21
D 19

tybfc
29-11-2014, 09:04 PM

Mid table

DiBranchio
29-11-2014, 09:23 PM
A). 14
B). 8
C). 16
D). 6

First game at this level?
Mmm.

claretspice
29-11-2014, 11:50 PM
Got all the big calls in the game, including all the yellow cards and the Barnes handball incident, absolutely spot on.

Not sure what more you can want in a reffing performance than that, really.

distortiondave
30-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Hutton's wasn't even a foul, let alone a booking.
Sanchez should have been booked for doing to Marney what Kightly had been booked for earlier.
Cleverly got booked for a Trippier dive inside his own area.

Second half he had nowt to do.

CardyTheClaret
30-11-2014, 07:51 AM
" and the Barnes handball incident, absolutely spot on"

Apart from the fact he didn't handball it.

claretblue
30-11-2014, 09:13 AM
A. 15
B. 5
C. 20
D. 15

claretspice
30-11-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm with the sky commentators on the extended highlights who concluded Barnes had handled it and it was an excellent decision. Certainly Barnes' hand is right up near his head and the ref was in a better position than any supporters in the ground apart from the Villa fans to come to the conclusion it was a hand.

Hutton put his arm across Boyd after Boyd had got the wrong side of him - thee might not have been big contact, but it doesn't matter, its a mandatory booking just like Kightlys. Cleverly may not have made much contact with Trippier but he was late, reacted like a pillock, and ha already got the benefit of the doubt on an earlier late tackle on Ings.

Sanchez might have been booked, but there's an obvious difference in context between a block in the middle of the pitch when there's midfield cover as well as a full defence, and a block which clearly stops someone delivering a really dangerous cross. You can argue it both ways, but you can more than justify it.

Thought the pla

CardyTheClaret
30-11-2014, 11:05 AM
His hand does waft towards the ball, and on a couple of angles looks like handball. But it wasn't, it hit his head.

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 01:20 PM
"Got all the big calls in the game, including all the yellow cards and the Barnes handball incident, absolutely spot on.

Not sure what more you can want in a reffing performance than that, really."

You must feel a bit silly posting that after seeing it back. Hutton card is soft, Cleverley should have been booked early and Barnes clearly does not handle the ball, all you need to do is actually watch it from the camera behind the goal and that shows it is clearly a header.

"But on the whole, if the assessor marks on big decisions got right, Scott will come out fine."

No he won't come out fine.

claretspice
30-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Not sure that is what the camera behind the goal shows at all. Its certainly not what the two commentators on Sky, or Alistair Mann on MOTD thought, and its not what the man with the best view of the lot thought, but no doubt they're all wrong as well, although I'd observe they all had the benefit of neutrality.

Cleverley might have been booked earlier. But I think he got the benefit of the doubt because it looked a genuine attempt to win the ball rather than a cynical one, and it wasn't as late or out of control as Marney's. Rightly having made that fine line decision he gave Cleverley no margin next time he made a decision. That's perfectly good reffing.

The Hutton was is soft, but its still a booking by the laws of the game. #

Really easy to slag off refs on these occasions, but leaving aside the handball where there's clearly some disagreement, I don't think any of the decisions Scott made yesterday are clearly wrong. Has to be accepted that theres a lot of grey in the laws of f

Ashingtonclaret46
30-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Surely the grey areas are not in the laws of the game which are in black and white, rather, they are in the interpretation, as can be seen from the comments on this board.
It is interesting that some thought it was handball, some didn't, however, that is after watching from vaarious angles. The referee had one chance to see it and, in his opinion and from the angle he saw it, he though that it was handball.

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 02:34 PM
"Not sure that is what the camera behind the goal shows at all. Its certainly not what the two commentators on Sky, or Alistair Mann on MOTD thought, and its not what the man with the best view of the lot thought, but no doubt they're all wrong as well, although I'd observe they all had the benefit of neutrality."

Instead of listening to others, try watching it. Then you won't make yourself look pretty damn silly on here.

That camera shows he's headed it. It shows him arm up but with no contact. You are 100% wrong on this. I don't expect you to admit it but there we go. If you prefer to listen to someone else's view rather than look for yourself so be it.

CardyTheClaret
30-11-2014, 02:48 PM
"Its certainly not what the two commentators on Sky, or Alistair Mann on MOTD though"

You might as well just listen to the radio if you're not capable of forming your own opinion with the pictures.

claretspice
30-11-2014, 04:34 PM
"Instead of listening to others, try watching it."

Out of interest Tony, are you effectively saying that the commentators weren't bothering to watch the replays they clearly had the benefit of, then?

"You might as well just listen to the radio if you're not capable of forming your own opinion with the pictures."

Thanks, I have formed an opinion. My opinion is that its very difficult to tell on the camera behind the goal, not least because the camera foreshorten things. However, I think Barnes' arm does strike the ball. At the very least, I think Barnes' arm is an unnatural position in the first place and then comes down as it would if it had struck the ball, which is itself equally unnatural. So that's my opinion, but its also my opinion that its rather boneheaded to entirely disregard the views of 3 neutral commentators watching the game with the benefit of replays.

I'm not saying, by the way, that that's definitely correct, or that you shouldn't disagree with me or the commentat

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 05:01 PM
"Out of interest Tony, are you effectively saying that the commentators weren't bothering to watch the replays they clearly had the benefit of, then?"

No, I'm saying Ashley Barnes didn't handle the ball. The Sky commentary team thought he'd been yellow carded for what he'd said to the referee.

And I really don't care what you think, there is no contact between Barnes' arm and the ball, but of course you won't admit you're wrong.

buxtonclaret
30-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Have to say, on the stream (a good one) l watched, thought it looked like handball at the time.
Mentioned it on the match thread.
But even after seeing the replay I'm not 100% on it.

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Claretspice is

claretspice
30-11-2014, 05:11 PM
"No, I'm saying Ashley Barnes didn't handle the ball. The Sky commentary team thought he'd been yellow carded for what he'd said to the referee."

I'll ignore the unpleasant and aggressive personal comment - you might like to reflect that I've defended you on many, many occasions down the years when people have given you stick down the years, so its a shame you have to revert to that. Brian Little says at about 28 minutes and 50 seconds into the Football First highlights package "I knew there was a handball, and its Barnes' hand". The commentator describes it as "a good spot from the officials".

So perhaps you can at least apologise for getting that wrong, and we can agree to disagree on the decision itself.

claretspice
30-11-2014, 05:13 PM
"Claretspice is"

Seeing as you keep playing the man rather than the ball, lets just recap what I said above.

"My opinion is that its very difficult to tell on the camera behind the goal, not least because the camera foreshorten things."

You're really not doing yourself any favours here Tony.

CardyTheClaret
30-11-2014, 05:24 PM
http://i62.tinypic.com/2zz3wy9.jpg

Here's the ball, slapping Barnes full on the forehead, just before he moves his hand, which was in an odd position, but didn't touch the ball.

Go on, just watch it again, carefully.

beddie
30-11-2014, 05:28 PM
No hand ball by Barnes. Agree that Gabby Agbon was lucky not to get booked with the sliding tackle against Ward (I think). I think the assessor will mark the Ref down for that and for not booking Guzan for time wasting.

tybfc
30-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Spice - I think sometimes that you watch a different game to the rest of us.

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 07:13 PM
"You're really not doing yourself any favours here Tony."

Ha ha ha - Barnes didn't touch the ball with his hand, I've said that. You are the one up the thread who said the referee got all the big decisions right.

You're wrong, but of course you won't admit to that.

claretspice
30-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Cardy - with the greatest of respect, I think I've already said further up the thread why a freeze frame won't convince me - the camera foreshortens things and images taken from TV are inevitably deceptive. The clincher for me is that Barnes' hand not only is in that odd position, but comes down at the right time, and with the right motion, to thump the ball. I can't do freeze frames - I'm not that advanced - but I've done one on my TV which looks equally as convincing that it hit his hand. So whilst I can see where you're coming from I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

TY - funny thing is that the game I watched is pretty much the game the Sky commentators watched.

Tony - your being churlish and nasty. And not a little hypocritical. I said the ref got all the big decisions right. I think that's probably right, or to put it another way - and perhaps more reasonably - I don't think he got any obviously wrong.

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 07:42 PM
"images taken from TV are inevitably deceptive"

Keep digging your hole spice - why not just admit you have potentially got it wrong? Churlish and nasty now am I? All I've said is that he didn't handle it, and do you know what, he didn't.

what_no_pies
30-11-2014, 07:53 PM
My reaction after seeing anew initial replay was that it was thrown in off Barnes hand, doesn't appear to be any doubt. The commentators appeared to be confirming that with their comments just as another angle pretty clearly shows it coming clean off his head. I now reckon it wasn't handball and I actually think the commentators were not paying attention at that next angle or chose not to contradict themselves having already made a strong claim for the handball. These guys probably watch replays on miniscule screens too (they rarely spot pretty obvious deflections as an example of how difficult it must be for them). I reckon 95% not handball. None of us other than mr Barnes himself can be 100%.

CardyTheClaret
30-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Posted 30 Nov 2014 20:31
re: RATE THE REF - Graham Scott v Aston Villa
Cardy - with the greatest of respect, I think I've already said further up the thread why a freeze frame won't convince me - the camera foreshortens things and images taken from TV are inevitably deceptive. The clincher for me is that Barnes' hand not only is in that odd position, but comes down at the right time, and with the right motion, to thump the ball. I can't do freeze frames - I'm not that advanced - but I've done one on my TV which looks equally as convincing that it hit his hand.

So, you're saying after it hit his head and went towards goal, Barnes then decided to give the ball a bit of extra help towards goal with his hand?

Honestly, just watch it again, particularly from this angle, and there's no way we can disagree.