PDA

View Full Version : Take the point and move on -signs of real progress

jdrobbo
29-11-2014, 04:44 PM
I thought it was a brilliant game of football today. Two sides which were full of endeavor to attack were on display, yet at the back, perhaps both teams showed the vulnerabilities that have merited a lowly league position to date.

Aston Villa's threat was always going to be their pace and ability to counter attack. They didn't disappoint in that regard - It's just a shame that when we twice countered their own attacks, that we couldn't take advantage in those two-on-one opportunities. Had we got the early goal, I think that would have taken the sting out of the game. Instead, Villa were able to grow in confidence and push their full backs on more. I though Alan Hutton was particularly good and he really does seem to be proving a lot of his former critics wrong now that he has re-established himself.

We didn't display the fluid football that we have come to expect and in the main, I thought we were a lot more direct today. I can see why we adopted such tactics and in the end, I gues

irishclaretboy
29-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Good to read such a positive assessment from someone who was at the game. I share your optimism, JD. Not losing games is a good habit.

wilks_bfc
29-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Let's be honest if somebody had offered 7pts from last 3 games we'd have taken it.
Would I have preferred 1 last week and 3 this? Probably however it's now 3 unbeaten and it shows that we won't give up which is something we did far too often last time around

ClaretTony2014
29-11-2014, 04:55 PM
I do think any neutral at the Turf today would have seen that as an excellent game to watch. Villa much better than I thought they'd be and we might still have snatched it at the end.

Getting a point today is no reason to be negative at all.

longside4evr
29-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Progress it is and I agree with your sentiments on Hutton very good player
Villa bossed the midfield today and I thought Jones was a bit light weight
Marney was my man of the match today he was on form and made a very crucial block on the line when Villa where very much on top
I also thought the tactical switches work with Boyd and kightly
And the subs was also a major factor for the point UTC

bobcloth1
29-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Things certainly looking up. It'll take me a good few hours and beers to get over those late chances though.
Roll on Tuesday, feeling confident.

Boliclaret
29-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Disappointed we didn't win it in what would have been an incredible smash and grab. I couldn't see us getting anything until the penalty lifeline.

Villa will be massively disappointed that they didn't end their winless run, but you had to be impressed by our fitness level by the end.

ksrclaret
29-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Yes a good summary of the game today.

We might have won it at the end, but then again so might they. A point and a 3 match unbeaten run will do just fine. I'm looking forward to Newcastle.

Leyland_Claret
29-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Villa were an awful lot better than I was expecting after what has been written about them. Quick passing and excellent movement,especially 1st half,by Cole and Gabby. We seemed a little off it today but that might have been Villa's contribution that affected that. Saying that I've come off feeling a tad frustrated that we didn't win with those injury time chances to Danny and Juke but if you'd have offered me a point with about 7-8 minutes left of regulation time I would have jumped at it! Another point closer to our goal! Bring on the Toon!!

jdrobbo
29-11-2014, 05:56 PM
I also thought that the young lad, Grealish, looked a super prospect. Never looked like giving the ball away. Great prospect.

bobinho
29-11-2014, 06:21 PM
I agree with both your appraisal of the game, and your opinion of Grealish. He looked very competent and confident in possession. Great prospect. Is he from their academy?

We did well today. Very well.

LoveCurryPies
29-11-2014, 06:47 PM
7 points out of 9 for the last 3 games. If only that rate could continue...fingers crossed! ;D

Bin_Ont_Turf
29-11-2014, 06:55 PM
The match was set in that first 20 minutes or so when we couldn't string passes together, we were so disjointed and we were getting over run with their extra man in midfield.

It was poor from us, so like me you've to be very glad of the point.

The Bedlington Terrier
29-11-2014, 07:54 PM
We are playing top quality opposition, week in, week out and we do not now look out of place. I can see no negatives apart from our spurning of easy chances but Big Sam is back soon and then BOOM!

jdrobbo
29-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Hopefully we will be able to take advantage of the fact that Sissoko (sent off today), Collback (5th yellow today), Collocini (injured) and Krul are likely all out of Tuesday's game.

ksrclaret
29-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Think Janmaat also went off injured today, another one to possibly miss out on Tuesday.

ashtonlongsider
29-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Agree. Disappointed driving home not to have 3 points in the end. However the reality is we got out of jail.
Joe Cole was outstanding whilst on. Can't help thinking he lost his way since move to Liverpool but what a quality touch.

Newcastleclaret1993
29-11-2014, 08:58 PM
From all accounts newcastle are going to have a significantly weakened team on Tuesday, with maybe 7 of there starting 11 not fit or suspended and after that loss today' this is probably the best time to play them. I have watched them a couple times this season and the one thing that seams to have changed since last season is the qaulity of young talent they have. A couple of there young lads are rapid so our full backs will have a long game. I think we could boss there midfield though as there likely centre midfield partnership is going to be Anita (****e) and albeid (promising). The girlfriends dad has told me that in attack they will be good but there defence and midfield will be woeful.

jdrobbo
30-11-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm definitely glad that their seven match unbeaten run came to an end on Saturday. We need to convert the early chances we create.

Supersub6
30-11-2014, 09:58 AM
It will be a hard game again on Tuesday night.
Whilst the Toon will have several players out through suspensions and injuries they have some good young players who will relish the chance to impress their boss.

Looking forward to it.

mgill87
30-11-2014, 10:03 AM
It's not the worst time to be playing Newcastle after they lost their last match. They'll be missing their central midfield pairing of Sissoko and Colback.

I'm hoping that our team's disappointment not to win in the end versus Villa will spur them on to victory against the toon.

As a side note, it has been ages since we last played Newcastle. Looking forward to the game!

BlackCountry
30-11-2014, 11:37 AM
BOBINHO Yes Grealish is from the Villa academy.