PDA

View Full Version : Very poor today

BurnleyFCmad1882
29-11-2014, 07:17 PM
That performance was nothing like the past few weeks, reminiscent of the earlier games, a lot better team with more positive tactics would have trounced us today. Needs to be better against Newcastle. Having said and done at half time I would have taken a point, so can't grumble really.

wherewasi
29-11-2014, 07:20 PM
If you are going to talk pish to get a rise out of people, at least camouflage it a bit;
"...team with more positive tactics would have trounced us today."

I doubt anyone at the Turf has ever seen a team come out with more guns blazing than Villa did today at the start; it was like they were 1-0 down in the FA Cup Final with 30 seconds to go... I thought Guzan was going to come up for a corner with a couple of minutes gone...

Oh - and PS: clearly you can grumble; I know this because you just did.

LincolnClaret
29-11-2014, 07:23 PM
I think we were surprised with how Villa came at us in the first half. They shot out of the traps and Joe Cole was impeccable in the first 45. His touch and vision had us chasing shadows. Only Chelsea and Everton have had us chasing around like that at the Turf this season. Cleverley, Cole, Sanchez, Agbonlahor and Weimann were all threats. We should have been out of the game after about 30 minutes so it was most definitely a point gained today. Onwards to Tuesday night.

Boliclaret
We stuck at it and got something from the game. We played better against WHU and at Swansea in the 2nd half and got zilch.

Thats football.

BurnleyFCmad1882
No intention to get any rise out of anybody. I'm summarising my version of what I saw, and that was villa sitting back taking off weimann and cole, their 2 best players who controlled the game, even the villa fans who I spoke to after the game are fed up of Lambert sitting back and said had they continued to attack us they would have won the game comfortably, a statement I agreed with. Nothing pish about what I'm saying at all.

taio
We weren't very poor.

arise_sir_charge
29-11-2014, 07:24 PM
What an odd post.

The thread is titled "Very poor today", you moan and then finish by saying "so can't grumble".

Are you BiPolar?

taio
29-11-2014, 07:26 PM
'Nothing pish about what I'm saying at all.'

The title of your OP says different.

ksrclaret
29-11-2014, 07:29 PM
What a load of tosh. We were not 'very poor' by any means.

ClaretTony2014
29-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Not poor at all. We came up against a very good Villa side. That's what happens in this league, we come up against good sides. Thought we played well, certainly as well as we were allowed to play.

The Bedlington Terrier
29-11-2014, 07:36 PM
I thought we were the very opposite end of poor today. Villa are no mugs, well drilled, experienced at this level and Joe Cole showed what an exceptional player he can be on his day. Danny Ings was the best player on the park by a country mile, we worked our socks off and should have had all three points. We are looking better by the match. Even Merson is not writing us off anymore! UTC!

claret78
29-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Oh come off it Villa aren't a "very good side". When did they last win? They looked good because we were off the pace.

I thought that's possibly our worst performance today. In the end we got out of jail at the end. I just hope we don't rue not getting all three points come the last day of the season in the return match.

Bin_Ont_Turf
29-11-2014, 07:44 PM
'I thought that's possibly our worst performance today'

The first 45 minutes were as poor as we've played (apart from West Brom) this season.

barracuda
29-11-2014, 07:45 PM
I have no time at all for negativity - and (more importantly) I don't think our manager has either...

fungus_the_bogeyman
29-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Ok, Villa might not be one of the best sides in the division, but I thought they came out all guns blazing and must have put in one of their best 45 mins this season in the first half.

I didn't think they were as good second half, they tried to take the sting out of the game and in the end it took an atrocious piece of defending to give us some impetus.

Obviously it's disappointing not to win given the chances we missed in the last few minutes, but I still look at it as a good point given how brightly Villa started.

DiBranchio
29-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Certainly not our best performance of the season.
Our main point of attack was Shackell to Keane, back to Shackell then knock it long.
The ball never stayed up top long enough unless Danny had a run at Villa's defence.
We improved notably when Ross Wallace came on and after the penalty should have gone on to win comfortably 3-1.
Which would have been tough on Villa.

Claretforever
29-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Look, we weren't great today by any means. Villa looked like an experienced Premier League side and had 4 or 5 players really on form who could hurt us. Sanchez was brilliant, as was Cole and Weissman(sp?). The space they created was first class, and only their finishing cost them today. I know we hit the woodwork a few times but still, they opened us up a number of times.

The first half they should have been 3-1 up at least. Second half was much of the same until the final 15 minutes. Ross Wallace changed the game and, although I can't envisage a 90 minutes at this level out of him, he is a fantastic 20 minute man. He turned their defence inside out and it meant that we appeared the only team in the game from 80 minutes onwards. We probably should have won it with the number of late chances!

Overall I'm happy with a point, that's for sure.

wherewasi
29-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Nobody would argue that Villa have been playing well recently. Anyone who doesn't see that, if they click, players like Weimann, Sanchez, Agbonlahor and particularly Cole can cause any team in this division problems is just not thinking it through. In the first half they did click and they played some very good passing football. We did well to live with them and restrict them to give ourselves the chance to do something in the second half.

claret78
29-11-2014, 08:54 PM
"I have no time at all for negativity - and (more importantly) I don't think our manager has either..."

I don't think its negative to say you played poorly yet still came away with a point. It's fantastic when it happens and I see it as a positive. If rather see us play poorly and pick up points than play well and lose- which has happened in numerous occasions this season.

pstotto
29-11-2014, 08:56 PM
'Very poor today' got a point. Sign of future champions?

nil_desperandum
29-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Sometimes working hard and hanging on for a 0-1 at halftime, can be important. We could easily have gone in 3 down, but because we weren't very poor we managed to restrict a very lively Villa to one goal. This gave us the chance for the late charge.
Remember too that Villa's first half performance may well have been a reaction to Keane's departure yesterday. Any team would respond positively to this wouldn't they?

solidsilver1862
29-11-2014, 10:51 PM
ARISE SIR GEORGE ARE YOU SURE[!]92;[!]92;
WE COULD HAVE WON THIS, YOU MUST HAVE GONE HOME SOON!!!!
Or better still gone for a pint.I feel you wont be able to stomach the Premiership! some body as to score the first Goal, today sorrow! it was not us.But still could have won the game Ings hit the post what you be saying if that had gone in??

karatekid
30-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Funny old thread this one. Started with the OP being trashed for daring to have a critical eye and ended up with people actually being sensible and admitting that it wasn't one of our best performances against a team who have been struggling.

Rileybobs
30-11-2014, 09:25 AM
We weren't great yesterday and there was a very flat 20 mins in the second half where Villa played keep-ball and took the sting out of the game. That said, Kightly, Boyd, Ings and Juke all missed relative sitters in the second half and on balance we should have won the game. Still, a good point considering we chased shadows for quite long periods of the game.

We're certainly looking more at home in this division, we really need to be more clinical in front of goal though.

Colburn_Claret
30-11-2014, 09:31 AM
My feelings as well.
We were poor first half. Villa started exactly the way we did at Stoke last week. It's an unforgiving league and we need to make sure that we come out of the blocks flying otherwise we could find ourselves out of the match before halftime.
Yesterday we got away with it. A second half where we definitely upped it. So nearly 3 in a row, but Villa would have been robbed if they left yesterday with nothing.

7 pts from the last 3 games is a great return, it doesn't matter in what order or where they come from.

UTC

nil_desperandum
30-11-2014, 09:38 AM
"Funny old thread this one. Started with the OP being trashed for daring to have a critical eye and ended up with people actually being sensible and admitting that it wasn't one of our best performances against a team who have been struggling."
There's a massive difference between admitting that it wasn't one of our best and describing us as "very poor". That's the point.

Supersub6
30-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Villa, like us, have struggled to score goals all season and this continued yesterday for both teams who did create chances but didn't put them away.

Their last two fixtures had seen them draw with West Ham (5th) and Southampton (2nd), this was after losing 6 games on the bounce, however, they included games against Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton,three clubs who have also beaten us this season, plus Manchester City.

They were the better team by far in the first half and moved the ball quickly, using the full width of the pitch, however, they were kept in check by our lads working hard as a team. Both teams missed chances to win the game, however, had we won it would have been an injustice (who cares?).
It was a good game to watch and, as far as I am concerned, it was a good point in the end and it is an insult to the lads to say they were very poor.