PDA

View Full Version : Ripping Yarns - Golden Gordon - Astom Villa today

beeholeclaret2
29-11-2014, 09:15 PM
sorry for typo above - ****ed!
One of the funniest things I remember today is at the Ministry Of Ale (Trafalgar Steet, Burnley. Before the game we were chatting to some Villa fans and they were confident that their players could do the business. However we got chatting about the merits of respective clubs' supporters and inevitably who had the best followers. For some strange reason we debated the "Ripping Yarns" series starring Michael Palin as Golden Gordon and that he was a devotee of Barnstoneworth United. We were in full flow telling the Villa fans about Gordon's wife complaining that he was obsessed about his team and that Gordon hadd his son Barnstoneworth! Gordon replied in defence that although his son was called Barnstoneworth he did in fact have a middle which was in fact "United". Anyway the Villa fan today introduced us to his son who was called "Aston". I didnt dare ask what his middle was in case it was "Villa". Great set of supporters and sp

JohnAngusFan
30-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Beehole - you should have told them "this is not a poor Burnley side, this is one of the best three Burnley sides in the last 40 years. We may not be a great PL side in absolute terms, but points for pounds we are a great side."

Also when the Villa fans sang "sh1t support my lord etc" they are the top club from the second largest city in the UK (population 2m plus) and they can't fill the away end 120 miles up the motorway. WTF

Toby1
30-11-2014, 06:27 PM
You mean this one...brilliant wasn't it XD - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9KXrRUZqtw&list=RDS9KXrRUZqtw&index=1)

beeholeclaret2
30-11-2014, 06:57 PM
John Angus - I was quoting their words above as the Villa fans thought Burnley were a poor side. I did put them straight about our team and that we were unlucky in the end not to take all 3 points with Ings shot against the post and Juke's header nearly creeping in. They were neat with their little passing triangles but in the 2nd half these came to nought and when they sat back it allowed us a chance to get back into the game.

Toby - thanks for your link - yes that is the Golden Gordon I remember and his son Barnstoneworth getting his British Prime Ministers mixed up with Barnstoneworth United reserves from 1928. Haggerty F, Haggerty R, glad someone else remembers them and not just sad old me! ;D