PDA

View Full Version : At least look where you kick/throw the ball.

butterflyvenom
29-11-2014, 11:03 PM
That was a fairly mediocre performance against villa, totally at odds with the passion and fight we managed last week v stoke.
Whilst it's impressive to have 7 points from last three games, we should be aiming to get some of the basics right at the very least.
Some of our passing, crossing and finishing is atrocious.
The players should learn a little composure in front of goal.We are wasting opportunities to collect ***** points because of this.
I realise we run more than virtually any other team , I get all the stuff about being the poor boys in the league. Fact remains we can do better. Not talking about the early season woodwork hittiing, that was just unfortunate, but some of our rash shots or over hit crosses are more than a little annoing. Really good build up play comes to nothing because of this.
We could be better place in this league if we can iron some of these faults out. These players get to practice for hours with a ball, the should have a feel for where the target is or

clareturion
30-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Can't for the life of me understand why so many say the Villa game was so different from the Stoke one. We gave the ball away a lot in both !
We give the ball away an awful lot !

I can only believe so many colour their view of the game by the result. Personally I think our play this season has been ( WBA apart ) quite consistent. Runnning hard, scrapping for everything, occasional glimpses of quality with some desperate last ditch defending, keeping us in the game.

The Bedlington Terrier
30-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Does anybody who supports us ever, ever watch the opposing team? Villa worked their socks off, closing us down, hurrying, jostling and trying for a result. It's a testimony to our fitness levels and the work of SD and his staff that for the last twenty minutes the Villains were goosed and we were still bang at it!

wherewasi
30-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Love the OP. It's the kind of thing gets written on every football message board everywhere. It is, apparently, only our players who make mistakes. Watch any top flight match and you will see players who are 'worth' ten times what ours are do exactly the same things. As for learning composure in front of goal, the man who invents that training course will retire a rich man.

The only thing I can see consistently that we fail to do but which seems easily fixable is make space and give options from throw-ins. That, as opposed to "learning composure", is something that can be trained into the players.

stalbansclaret
30-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Pitiful OP. In fact beyond pitiful.

DorsetDave
30-11-2014, 08:21 PM
With great respect to the OP, we are all entitled to our opinions, but this one on the 'utter drivel' scale is pretty near the top!!

longsidebovril
30-11-2014, 09:30 PM
How dare the opposition turn up and have the gall to press and harass us. How dare they try to score more goals than us.
They should learn their place and let us score more goals than them.

And don't get me started on their fans... Supporting them through thick and thin... Cheering when they score... The bar stewards.

dougcollins
30-11-2014, 10:01 PM
I agree that we waste too many chances.

I'm not saying we deserved to win Saturday, but either or both of Ings and Juke should have scored at the end.

Andy Payton always said you had to be ice-cold in sight of goal -I'm not sure we're getting that right now.

butterflyvenom
30-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Nah, not interested in the comments above.
Nothing at all to do with forgetting our opponents are here to stop us winning. I realise that.
It is about composure, it is relevant that players exercise some control when passing or crossing or shooting. It makes a huge difference. If you care to look at the teams above who also miss a fair few, and overhit the odd cross, you might also see bigger numbers in the goals for column.
I rate Burnley very highly, the season has been a revalation. I still think we need to improve and can improve in these areas.If your in possesion of the ball out on the wing, and it's been a real battle to get the ball up there near an opponents area, don't squander the opportunity by booting it over the heads of everyone so much so that it goes out the other end for a throw in. ****, it's only a matter of touch. also, ta for the drivel comments. Glad to know the critics are not only insightful, but inevitably rude for no good reason, never just content to have

dsr
30-11-2014, 11:48 PM
I won't say the OP's comment is drivel, more that it's facile. Essentially he's saying that if our players played better, they'd get better results. Which is true.

I'm don't know what he thinks is wrong, though. He might be saying they don't practise enough, he might be saying they don't work hard enough, he might be saying they don't have the talent. I look forward to further details.

butterflyvenom
01-12-2014, 12:29 AM
There is no ambiguity in my post.
Plain and simple. Nothing more to "await"
I explained it more than adequatley.

stevie_thunder
01-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Basics such as keeping possession of the ball and passing to a teammate is a quality sadly lacking in the Premier League (and he national side).

Hence why the pundits were creaming themselves over Swansea a couple of seasons ago when they managed to perform this relatively simple skill.

dsr
01-12-2014, 08:08 AM
No ambiguity, no. But all your post says is that if we pass and shoot better, we'll get more points. I thought there might be a bit more to it such as a suggestion what we might do about it?

TuftyBeamish
01-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Classic AblueClaret. He just can't stay away, despite all his pre-season promises.