PDA

View Full Version : Marriott, the crutch and a big win in Europe

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 08:30 AM
A late Mike Conroy winner at Northampton on 30th November 1991 made it nine wins out of nine in the league for manager Jimmy Mullen, an incredible record having taken over from Frank Casper at the beginning of October.

This ninth win was a dramatic one. We took the lead on 20 minutes and it remained at 1-0 until six minutes from time when Northampton's Greg Campbell equalised. It looked as though it was going to be dropped points but within a minute Conroy had got his second and Burnley had got the win.

Conroy and his team mates celebrated in front of the packed open end at the County Ground with one Burnley supporter seen waving a crutch in celebration. There was more at the end when goalkeeper Andy Marriott, at the end of his final game for the Clarets, was mobbed by the jubilant travelling fans.

Would Marriott come back? I think Mullen and Burnley found out just how difficult a man Brian Clough was to deal with. He said yes, then no, then yes, changed the fee they wanted a few ti

mkmel
30-11-2014, 01:34 PM
I was at that game at Northampton and as I knew the Northampton keeper I got a free ticket to sit in the home stand.

Northampton had serious money problems and their tiny stand I kid you not was ricketty and held together by scaffolding and their ground was in a right state.

At the end of the game while our fans were carrying Marriott on their shoulders an advertising board was accidentally knocked over.

An old boy sat next to me said "Bloody Northerners coming here and wrecking our ground"!! lol :-)

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Was our last ever game there although it is still used for country cricket. Was a shambles of a set up.

You said they'd serious money problems, they couldn't even produce a programme that day. It was just a sheet.

herts_clarets
30-11-2014, 02:51 PM
No mention of that Northampton game is complete without referring to the crutch! Someone recently put a pic of the late Ader Marshall hugging Marriott on the pitch. Great lad Ader, dedicated Burnley fan who was tragically killed in a motorbike accident.